Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:18 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
But that's not what usually happens, is it? Isn't it usually removed after the foundation walls are sufficiently cured/stable and ready for backfill?
I am just commenting based on experience and from what I have witnessed in the construction industry. The project I am on was to have a section removed since future construction was to be on top of this segment. The rest was allowed to stay. In addition, I have seen just the top portions removed.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I am just commenting based on experience and from what I have witnessed in the construction industry. The project I am on was to have a section removed since future construction was to be on top of this segment. The rest was allowed to stay. In addition, I have seen just the top portions removed.
That makes sense. But in general, when shoring is made primarily out of wood, I would think that they wouldn't want to bury all of that organic material where it can eventually decay and leave a void. At least that's always been my understanding based on my experience in smaller and residential construction. [Haven't built too many skyscrapers in my time. ]

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 PM

7/18/14

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 8:52 PM

Thanks for the update Londonee! Quite a bit of work going on!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 3:03 AM

From today:

Some piles are in already:

They are excavating around the booth so I'm guessing it is considered worthy of protection!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 10:29 AM

Well.... it's not right that the poor souls in Kennedy House were played like this, they thought they had a major victory a couple years ago, and now they have had the rug pulled out from under them.... NOT!!!!

Too bad the city or SEPTA can't build a station on the MFL at 19th. Even though a five block walk is nothing major, a building like this should be closer to the cities' most used rapid transit line. I doubt very few people going to the CITC will get off at 13th or 30th and catch a trolley to 19th. Too bad Market west was a different place in 1904 when the line was built. There was no need for stations then, as most of you know it was a low rent commercial district then... trolley stops were more than sufficient.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
From today:
With your usual daring stealth work on the ground "behind the lines," as it were, and Londonee's excellent aerial surveillance, I think we have this site pretty well covered.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
They are excavating around the booth so I'm guessing it is considered worthy of protection!
Rumor has it they are building the CITC around the booth. The booth is part of a museum dedicated to 1980's era parking lot booths.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 4:42 PM

Yeah it does seem strange maybe they are doing it as a practical joke since they know we were talking about that guard booth. I actually work in one.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:23 PM

CITC Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Yeah it does seem strange maybe they are doing it as a practical joke since they know we were talking about that guard booth. I actually work in one.
I drove by today(Saturday) and thought they might not work on Saturdays but I was wrong. There were busy as beavers! I asked a hard hat when they might put up the billboard picture of the finished building and when they would take away the parking booth. He said he was there to inspect how the drilling was doing and that's all he knew about.

I should have known better. Back in 1999-2000 when there were converting the PSFS building to the Loews Hotel I asked some questions of hard hats and some of them thought they were working on restoring a bank building since they were working on the huge safe on the ground floor now used as a wine cellar.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:59 PM

Yeah comcast isn't messing around they want this project done.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 8:41 PM

They were working today on the FMC site as well. I was going by in a cab so couldn't grab pics but there were hard hats up at street level on Walnut and I could see the cranes/drills moving.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Yeah comcast isn't messing around they want this project done.
So when they say there won't be any above-ground work for at least a year, is that simply because of the magnitude of the project, or is that a commentary on the construction schedule / resources? If they "want it done", could they throw more resources at it, or are they already maxing out and this a reasonable schedule for something of this size?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 3:03 PM

I think it will take less then a year, comparing how long it took for comcast to get going. They don't have to dig as deep as the other bldg, 30 ft instead of 45. There energy level and how fast they seem to be working. But it is all a guess I say 8=10 months.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:22 AM

When will this post go under the [I]Under Construction[I] section?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:01 AM

here are the photos I took of 1 Liberty place construction from may 1985 to nov 1987 which B Maule published on his old website about 5 years ago. it took just about 8 months to "come out of the ground". It this case it was an all steel core and all steel structural framing system, whereas in Comcast 1 and 2 we have a RC core and and all steel structural framing system.

http://phillyskyline.com/onelibertyplace/index2.htm

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 AM
SkyscraperSunset.com

These don't add anything terribly interesting, but they're from today.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:39 PM
BANNED

in philly its pretty rare for TWO office buildings to be going up at the same time, its going to be interesting to watch these two rise within the same timeframe. Also, it will be interesting to see how far CTIC has to go unto completion when FMC is complete. We dont get many office buildings in this city so this is probably something that hasnt happened since the early 90s.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
here are the photos I took of 1 Liberty place construction from may 1985 to nov 1987 which B Maule published on his old website about 5 years ago. it took just about 8 months to "come out of the ground". It this case it was an all steel core and all steel structural framing system, whereas in Comcast 1 and 2 we have a RC core and and all steel structural framing system.

wow, that all happened before I moved here. That was a nice gallery from the mid 80s. Thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post

Thanks for sharing your photos with us! One thing I got from your photos that I was unaware of: The first Commerce Square tower appears close to completion (at least structurally) in one of those 1986 photos, while Liberty 1 appears to be about 500' or so, which would mean that it was Commerce Square that was the first to break the gentleman's agreement concerning building height in Philly. I always thought that Liberty 1 was the first to break above Billy Penn's hat, but it would appear that Commerce Square was actually the first to break the barrier (by 17 feet). I had no idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture