HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It's cool for about 30 seconds. I honestly don't know how workers in the surrounding businesses (or even the construction workers on site!) are putting up with it.
Does it happen all the time or just when there are certain wind conditions? I'm guessing it'll go away when the cladding goes up.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 10:18 PM
we built this city

The funniest part is reading all the comments of the butt-hurt people who are still delusional enough to think they can sound smart / morally superior in some way by framing the sound as related to the "white elephant" they claim the NC to be (without even considering anybody else's point of view).

I mean if it there was legitimate criticism, that would be one thing... but the fact the buildings makes a sound during construction when 70km/h winds are blowing through? Come on. Really? Like seriously, really?

I have to think, if this was the library, these same folks would be saying its the beautiful sound of angels.

To be honest, the architecture of both is quite similar.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Does it happen all the time or just when there are certain wind conditions? I'm guessing it'll go away when the cladding goes up.
I've heard the whistling a couple of times and I think the only reason it is getting publicity now is last week there was days on end of sustained strong winds so the noise was constant. Once it warms up and the winds die down the noise will disappear until the cladding can be completed.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
The funniest part is reading all the comments of the butt-hurt people who are still delusional enough to think they can sound smart / morally superior in some way by framing the sound as related to the "white elephant" they claim the NC to be (without even considering anybody else's point of view).

I mean if it there was legitimate criticism, that would be one thing... but the fact the buildings makes a sound during construction when 70km/h winds are blowing through? Come on. Really? Like seriously, really?

I have to think, if this was the library, these same folks would be saying its the beautiful sound of angels.

To be honest, the architecture of both is quite similar.
My impression is that the comments were more tongue-in-cheek, but then I didn't read every last article about it as it was really a non-event. A neat phenomenon that probably would have gone largely unnoticed before the days of phones with video capability and social media, but basically a non-event.

The combination of a partially-built building combined with moderate sustained winds sets up all kinds of opportunities for harmonics in a structure like this. Perhaps in the pre-science days it would have been considered a warning from the spirit world, but I think everybody understands the phenomenon now.

I'm curious about the perceived connection to the library, though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
My impression is that the comments were more tongue-in-cheek, but then I didn't read every last article about it as it was really a non-event. A neat phenomenon that probably would have gone largely unnoticed before the days of phones with video capability and social media, but basically a non-event.

The combination of a partially-built building combined with moderate sustained winds sets up all kinds of opportunities for harmonics in a structure like this. Perhaps in the pre-science days it would have been considered a warning from the spirit world, but I think everybody understands the phenomenon now.

I'm curious about the perceived connection to the library, though.

Certainly not tongue in cheek. The usual anti-NC suspects like the Coast, Bousquet and the CBC were certainly not trying to be funny about it.

I totally agree about the comparison to the library. Hell, we saw something similar here when questions were raised about the ridiculously expensive custom glass and problems with it during construction. Any suggestion of criticism was shouted down by the true believers.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Certainly not tongue in cheek. The usual anti-NC suspects like the Coast, Bousquet and the CBC were certainly not trying to be funny about it.

I totally agree about the comparison to the library. Hell, we saw something similar here when questions were raised about the ridiculously expensive custom glass and problems with it during construction. Any suggestion of criticism was shouted down by the true believers.
Didn't read The Coast or any other story that I didn't stumble over, as alluded to. The comment such as "Satan's pan flute" should be considered tongue-in-cheek and are actually hilarious if taken in context.

I don't recall hearing about wind noise during the building of the library, but as it is a non-event, I probably missed it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:33 PM

Just a regular old coffee break.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

Bent over on point like that, he looks like just one of the 100s of 1000s of Nova Scotians who is getting screwed by the Nova Centre.

(*That* was tongue-in-cheek.)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:57 AM

Is that a pink hard hat? <-- there's no tongue-in-cheek emoji

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:15 PM

From the Chronicle Herald today:

Decision time on purchase of World Trade and Convention Centre in Halifax

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...tre-in-halifax

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:02 AM

Took a couple pictures the other day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 3:04 PM

Thanks for the pics! There's no question that this building will affect the largest change we've seen in the downtown in decades. It is visible from virtually anywhere and its sheer mass can't help but leave you with an impression. Your photos illustrate this point really well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:27 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:52 PM

I remember the Save the View folks had a block diagram showing the 'bulk' of the mass from the viewpoint up on Citadell Hill. I am wondering how that view will look with the actual building taking shape. So if anyone is looking for suggested angles - I'd suggest visiting the STV website and then trying to snap some comparable photos. I'm sure the propaganda vs. reality will be quite different.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One thing I remember about the STV drawings is that they appeared to use the same kind of perspective you'd see in an elevation drawing, i.e. near and far objects of equal dimensions were drawn with the same size. The effect is similar to telephoto lenses but not actual human visual perception. To human eyes things look smaller when they're farther away so I'd expect the final apparent size of these buildings to be smaller than what the STV renderings suggested.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I remember the Save the View folks had a block diagram showing the 'bulk' of the mass from the viewpoint up on Citadell Hill. I am wondering how that view will look with the actual building taking shape. So if anyone is looking for suggested angles - I'd suggest visiting the STV website and then trying to snap some comparable photos. I'm sure the propaganda vs. reality will be quite different.

Source: http://www.savetheview.ca/multimedia.shtml

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:27 PM

I'd say a couple of those terrible drawings actually get it close to right.

The question is, is it the great tragedy they make it out to be?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post

Possibly a financial tragedy. Call Joe and ask him if you can invest in the enterprise, use your RRSP.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post

Well the flaw in their argument always was that they were taking the view from the wrong place because of the viewplanes protected the view to George's Island (that was the VP that people called the Refinery Preservation view since the unintended consequence was the refinery could be seen too).

I'm just curious how much of this really happened or not. I don't think it was much of a tragedy because to me; if you are a tourist - the view was okay but if I really wanted to see the harbour I'd walk down to the boardwalk and walk it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth