HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 5:01 PM

I haven't submitted the Rio Grande plan to anyone officially yet. There is still much work to do.
Fellow forumer cj.blakely3 is hard at work creating some awesome visuals. (Seriously awesome - my jaw drops every time he sends me something new!)
I am creating a simpler proposal PDF, which cuts all the engineery stuff and makes it more of a sales pitch. We'll keep a link to the massive 60-ish page document I shared before, but some other professional 'beta readers' I've sent it to have found it too long and too boring to be engaging.
I guess we live in a sort of development bubble here on the forum. When I consider things like underground tracks and relocating freeway bridges, I get super excited! Normal people apparently don't.

Hopefully in a couple more weeks we will have a slick sales pitch to share with you guys. Then, if that gets positive feedback, we'll submit it to every decision maker and developer I can think of.
If developers can put so much pressure on the state to create the whole prison-site fiasco, imagine what they'll do to get their hands on ~52 acres of new continuous land near downtown? That's the angle we'll be working at. The Rio Grande depot is nice and all, but that's not the angle that is going to get 'Normal People' excited.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 5:31 PM
Space Magi

Sounds like a smart plan, Hatman. Developers will be drooling over that prime real estate. Good to hear things are happening behind the scenes!

I look forward to the visualizations!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
There are couple projects that have filed for building permits recently. Some are projects that I must have missed or can't seem to find planning documents for. So, if one of you have renderings or documents that you could link or share for these projects, that would be really great.
I like the infill, but I'm wishing we had more 2, 3, and even 4 bedroom apartments filling some of these new developments. Do we really have the demand for all of these micro units, or are people just snatching them up because they don't have better options? Studios are great, but I'm not sure that 100+ studio apartments in a single building is very desirable or viable in the long-term.

I seem to remember hearing about the 12th East Apartments. If it's the one I'm thinking of, they were scaled down because of NIMBY pressure.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I like the infill, but I'm wishing we had more 2, 3, and even 4 bedroom apartments filling some of these new developments. Do we really have the demand for all of these micro units, or are people just snatching them up because they don't have better options? Studios are great, but I'm not sure that 100+ studio apartments in a single building is very desirable or viable in the long-term.
I'm not going to speak for everyone in my generation but I know a lot of millennials around my age that, for them, having a studio apartment isn't a huge deal. And even micro units with shared kitchens and common spaces on each floor are even something they'd prefer having, mostly because of the price but also because of the instant community you have.

This may be more of a phenomenon in larger cities where living space is more expensive and young people aren't getting married / starting families so they don't need larger apartments. But even here in Salt Lake -- spending less time at home and rarely cooking so why have a big kitchen. Minimalism has been spreading as a trend, along with the preference for having experiences rather than things. For many, apartments are just a place to sleep and not much more than that.

Obviously this is a lot of generalization and not representative of everyone, but just sharing what I've noticed and some of my own personal feelings.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 8:29 PM

Construction fencing is going up at the Northwest corner of West Temple and 4th South across from the Courthouse.

I believe this is the site of the proposed 28 story Residential tower that was referenced on this thread a little while ago.

I wonder is this means construction is imminent???

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Construction fencing is going up at the Northwest corner of West Temple and 4th South across from the Courthouse.

I believe this is the site of the proposed 28 story Residential tower that was referenced on this thread a little while ago.

If a 28 story tower construction was imminent, we would all know about it and renderings would be all over the place

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:18 PM

/\/\/\

UtPlanner, Can you confirm?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
If a 28 story tower construction was imminent, we would all know about it and renderings would be all over the place
You probably missed it. But there were renderings and info posted a couple weeks ago. See post #8198.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
You probably missed it. But there were renderings and info posted a couple weeks ago. See post #8198.
Oh. That one. Yeah, I saw that. I was thinking it was a different lot.

Would be cool if that was happening. Still doubt it, as we seem to still have very incomplete information on this one. Seems dubious

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:55 PM

A high rise on that plot of yellow grass intimate? Like, in the next couple years? I don’t even know if I’ll live that long!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
I'm not going to speak for everyone in my generation but I know a lot of millennials around my age that, for them, having a studio apartment isn't a huge deal. And even micro units with shared kitchens and common spaces on each floor are even something they'd prefer having, mostly because of the price but also because of the instant community you have.

This may be more of a phenomenon in larger cities where living space is more expensive and young people aren't getting married / starting families so they don't need larger apartments. But even here in Salt Lake -- spending less time at home and rarely cooking so why have a big kitchen. Minimalism has been spreading as a trend, along with the preference for having experiences rather than things. For many, apartments are just a place to sleep and not much more than that.

Obviously this is a lot of generalization and not representative of everyone, but just sharing what I've noticed and some of my own personal feelings.
Well speaking as a millennial myself, I see a lot of people struggling to find housing and most people are taking these small spaces out of necessity, not because of what they actually want. Also, it speaks to a broader point I want to make, which is that this kind of housing is very temporary for most people. Sure, renting and apartments will always be temporary for the most part, but I think there's a lot of people who want to be more settled within the city but can't because of the limited housing options. I'm not sure if it's a major issue YET, but it will be if we continue building huge studio developments. A mix of housing options is ALWAYS the best choice, in my opinion. It's good to have studio apartments available, as I said I'm just not convinced that building huge complexes of entirely tiny studio apartments is a good solution to the housing crisis. Also even millennials want to own their own home - it's just that many of us can't.

Honestly most people I know in my age group cook at least a little bit, and while maybe we're less materialistic than previous generations, that doesn't mean we don't want space. And for that, I don't personally really know anybody who would rather have a communal kitchen space over their own kitchen space. I know I wouldn't. What you're saying might be true of young professionals, but in my experience it's not really true of the average working-class person in any way. Or maybe our experiences are just different, I'm just going by what I see. Also, sure people are getting married and having families later, but people who do happen to have families often won't even consider Salt Lake City because of how expensive the housing is and how few 3+ bedroom apartment options there are in the city. I think we should be doing more to encourage families to not only stay in the city, but come to the city as well.

My final point is that housing tends to be more affordable with roommates. It's easier for me to afford the 3-bedroom apartment I currently live in with 2 roommates than it would be for my own studio apartment.

Last edited by bob rulz; Oct 14, 2020 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 12:03 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post

I noticed them taking down the for sale billboards that were up yesterday. There has always been fencing around the lot. What constitutes “construction fencing.” Not being facetious. Just curious.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
I noticed them taking down the for sale billboards that were up yesterday. There has always been fencing around the lot. What constitutes “construction fencing.” Not being facetious. Just curious.
I drove by this evening. The for sale signs are down and now its surrounded by a chain link fence. Site is still very barren. Also drove by the other sites 95 state is impressive and they seemed to be working very hard. Liberty Sky is at 10 stories and should pass the Maverick Building soon.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:30 AM
One Thing At A Time

The property has been fenced off since they tore down the buildings that used to be there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 2:47 PM

There was a few days that the fencing around the lot was down. Having it back up and the sale signs down I think is good news. Hopefully we will hear more about this soon.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:53 PM

I can't wait to see the full renderings for it. From the base renderings it looks like it's going to be a really nice building.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:59 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I can't wait to see the full renderings for it. From the base renderings it looks like it's going to be a really nice building.
I agree, and SCB seems to design some nice looking buildings in general.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Oh wow. Seeing those makes me much more excited. I'm not expecting a showstopper, but hopefully something with a little more creativity than 95 State or the Liberty Sky. Or the Convention Center Hotel. Or

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:38 PM

A friend of mine is a project manager for one of the larger construction companies here in SLC. He did tell me his company hasn't started bringing in workers from other markets and from what he knew, other companies haven't either.

He also said Kensington is still moving forward, but construction was delayed a little due to COVID. I believe he said they were aiming to start construction Summer of 2021.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:53 PM

I'm liking the way Paperbox is turning out. Having that mid-block path is huge. Also I didn't realize SL Temple was getting a tower crane too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West