HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:17 PM

this is so damn exciting!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post

-

In addition to building construction, they've also started doing extensive cobblestone-laying for the park at the North end. I didn't manage to snap a photo, though.

My Flickr
Thanks for the photos. I'm waiting for Mayor Bloomberg's visit to that Hudson Blvd park section for his ceremonial ride on the #7 extension.

The ~year old photo of the model below gives you an idea of what that park will look like next year (minus the buildings on both sides). I like these models because they even include the below-ground features.

Looking south:

"Entrance to the new 7 train in the foreground of Hudson Yards. (Branden Klayko / AN)"

From this ~year old article on the ceremonial kickoff to the Hudson Yards construction start. Note that the subway construction had started years earlier:
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/50991

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:40 PM

then & now

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Is anybody else surprised at how shallow the anchors were for those huge outer columns? I don't remember they dug very deep for those.
Yeah: I don't recall them drilling deep foundations like they did when they started construction last year north of the High Line:

Brendan Klayko/AN at the ceremonial groundbreaking, where this official NYC Mayor's Office photo was taken:

(Photo Credit: Spencer T Tucker)
PS: Note the two NON-mayors to the photo-right of still-Mayor Bloomberg. Quinn & Lhota.

Last edited by vkristof; Nov 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:30 PM

What a messy and exciting project this is

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 10:08 PM

messy & exciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
What a messy and exciting project this is
Physically it's very messy, with a lot of activity (subway construction, park construction, tower construction, etc) occurring in a small area. That small area also includes vital city services, such as the LIRR, NYC DSNY, etc.

j-biz captured the beginnings of excavation of the construction pit for the Amtrak tunnel box within the LIRR rail yard. This pit should get even more messier/muddier as they dig further down into the water table:

j-biz photo via flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/9801749...n/photostream/

Once tunnel box construction starts in the xcavated pit construction of the foundations for the overbuild platform/structures will follow. These foundations (caissons/piles/whatever) will eventually be built between the existing, IN-USE, LIRR tracks, though I assume they will first start in the construction area already "controlled" by Tutor-Perini.

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
Physically it's very messy, with a lot of activity (subway construction, park construction, tower construction, etc) occurring in a small area. That small area also includes vital city services, such as the LIRR, NYC DSNY, etc.

j-biz captured the beginnings of excavation of the construction pit for the Amtrak tunnel box within the LIRR rail yard. This pit should get even more messier/muddier as they dig further down into the water table:

j-biz photo via flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/9801749...n/photostream/

Once tunnel box construction starts in the xcavated pit construction of the foundations for the overbuild platform/structures will follow. These foundations (caissons/piles/whatever) will eventually be built between the existing, IN-USE, LIRR tracks, though I assume they will first start in the construction area already "controlled" by Tutor-Perini.
Very cool, and indeed even more messy and therefore more impressive than I thought. I wasn't using messy as a pejorative, in case I didn't word that properly. Do you think this is a more tedious job than the new WTC complex?

I also think the completed HY looks messy architecturally in the renders, and strangely I'm not using the word as a pejorative in this case either.

Thanks for the links/pic.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:37 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

So that entire area of earth will be hollowed out and replaced with New York's urban concrete underground superstructure? This is very cool to witness!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:07 PM

Manhattan infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
So that entire area of earth will be hollowed out and replaced with New York's urban concrete underground superstructure? This is very cool to witness!
So that entire area of earth will be hollowed out - AFAIK. The soil/fill/old Hudson River silt/whatever will be excavated down to the bedrock. A trench will then be blasted/"rock split" into the bedrock to create the needed slope/alignment for the tunnel box itself. The inside of the gray perimeter wall of cylinders in the diagram below will be exposed as the excavation continues downwards, adding the diagonal tie backs as they progress. The excavation should also expose the immediately adjacent area of the Empire Corridor tunnel, which is used by Amtrak to get up to the Spuyten Duyvil.

I assume you will also see construction of some of the foundations for the overbuild structures within the tunnel box excavation, such as the north end of the Culture Tower/D Tower

This is very cool to witness! - I think so. This infrastructure is what allows Manhattan/NYC to live and grow.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Very cool, and indeed even more messy and therefore more impressive than I thought. I wasn't using messy as a pejorative, in case I didn't word that properly. Do you think this is a more tedious job than the new WTC complex?

I also think the completed HY looks messy architecturally in the renders, and strangely I'm not using the word as a pejorative in this case either.

Thanks for the links/pic.
I wasn't using messy as a pejorative either, just as a descriptor. As the old utility work slogan went "Pardon our dust, but dig we must". In the case of this below water table construction it is mud/muck that turns to dust as it is trucked off the site.

Do you think this is a more tedious job than the new WTC complex? - No, I do not. It does not have the nation-level politics that are involved with the WTC. Besides the usual NYC & NY agencies, you only have the MTA/LIRR & Amtrak added into this mix.

I've posted a snip below from a 12-2 overhead photo by hardcoreshutterbug. He did not capture the absolute eastern end of the of the Amtrak tunnel box construction, where a secant pile wall was built under the now-closed sidewalk on the west side of 10th Ave. But it's a good overhead perspective of the mess of a PORTION of the overall Hudson development. I'm assuming the three vertical drill rigs captured in this snip will be re-tasked to start drilling foundations for the overbuild platform/structures next month.

This photo was taken before the j-biz photo I posted earlier because the timber matting is not yet placed where the excavator is working in the bottom left corner of this photo:

full snip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8129797...n/photostream/
Original hardcoreshutterbug source here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...n/photostream/

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:26 PM

This just adds a lot of engineering complexity to an already very busy construction site. I had no idea that they were also building this tunnel. Very very cool!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:39 PM

"a lot of engineering complexity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
This just adds a lot of engineering complexity to an already very busy construction site. I had no idea that they were also building this tunnel. Very very cool!
Oh, yeah! One of the intelligent thing they did was pick Tutor-Perini as the contractor for the Amtrak tunnel box project. T-P is is the overall prime for HY & the Coach Tower. AFAIK this $185M project is a design-build so it might evolve a bit.

The MTA owns these yards, but Amtrak owns the bowels of Penn Station that the yards connect to, and Amtrak owns the century+ old North/Hudson River tunnels that run under the imaginary 32nd street in these yards. Dunno who owns the more recent, shallow, Amtrak Empire Corridor tunnel...

This was/is the last gating factor for the construction start for the overbuild platform/structures. Sen. Chuck Schumer and other pols were down in the dirt for a ceremonial shovels-of-dirt ceremony on 9-23-2013. Not long ago at all.

I assume the PANYNJ director is there because the improvements to Penn Station (under the Farley Post Office, of course) are now "managed" by PANYNJ:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:30 PM
You never sausage a place

They should keep digging that Gateway tunnel and don't stop til you reach GCT, its natural terminus.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
No, I do not. It does not have the nation-level politics that are involved with the WTC. Besides the usual NYC & NY agencies, you only have the MTA/LIRR & Amtrak added into this mix.
I'm sorry, I meant in terms of engineering complexity.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCTPlace View Post
They should keep digging that Gateway tunnel and don't stop til you reach GCT, its natural terminus.
I doubt Senator Schumer is capable of digging it that far, even if the other politicians help.
:-)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 2:06 PM
New Yorker for life

One year down, now the real excitement begins...

Video Link

http://thorntontomasetti.com/project..._building_skin

Quote:
Thornton Tomasetti is providing building skin design services for a 200-foot-by 60-foot atrium cable wall and an 80-foot by 200-foot lobby cable at Tower C of the Hudson Yards development.

The initial atrium study, which included cable-net systems and long-span truss systems, aimed at understanding the structural implications and façade issues involved in building a multi-story atrium. The studies led to a one-way vertical cable system with intermediate beams supporting laminated glass panels through glass fittings. Close coordination between the concrete building structure and the glazing system was required during the design stage to produce a buildable solution. The lobby cable wall is also a one-way vertical cable system. The cable wall wraps around two corners of the lobby leading to a combined vertical cable wall and glass diaphragm solution to transfer lateral forces at the returns.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

http://chelseanow.com/2013/12/tall-c...yards-project/

Tall Cake, Short Break: Celebrating Year One of Hudson Yards

December 4, 2013
BY SAM SPOKONY

Quote:
Any good birthday bash requires a top-notch cake — and so it was for hundreds of Hudson Yards construction workers on Wednesday, December 4, as they celebrated their first year of work on the West Side site by digging into a sugary, five-foot-tall replica of one of the development’s future office towers.

The 10 Hudson Yards tower — at the corner of West 30th Street and 10th Avenue — currently stands at three stories, and will rise to 52 stories and a height of 895 feet by its planned completion in 2015. Upon opening, the tower will become the new home of Coach, L’Oreal USA and software giant SAP. A Fairway Market grocery store will also be located in the building’s base along, West 30th Street.

It was Fairway that supplied the 10 Hudson Yards cake, to the delight of workers who got a brief break from the job so they could enjoy the icing-topped treat.

By the end of 2014, the entire eastern half of Hudson Yards will also be under construction, according to the project’s joint developers — Related Companies and Oxford Properties. The full site spans between West 30th and 33rd Streets, and between 10th Avenue and the West Side Highway.

“I’m happy to say that we’re right on schedule, and right on budget,” said Ronald Wackrow, the executive vice president of Related who is overseeing the Hudson Yards construction, who made an appearance at the “first birthday” event.

In addition to 10 Hudson Yards, the development will eventually feature a second, 80-story office tower and two residential towers that will reach 70 and 79 stories, as well as other elements including retail, public space and a new school.

“I think people are now understanding that this isn’t just going to be a bunch of buildings,” said Related’s Michael Samuelian, a Hudson Yards project manager. “We’re really building a neighborhood that will fill the gap between Chelsea and Hell’s Kitchen.”

With the final section of the High Line — which curves around the Hudson Yards site, along West 30th Street and the West Side Highway — also currently under construction, Samuelian noted the importance of that close connection.

“We looking forward to having an amazing relationship with the High Line,” said Samuelian, pointing out that the iconic park will bring a valuable influx of foot traffic into the development’s retail and open spaces.

Aside from the festivities that went along with marking the one-year milestone for 10 Hudson Yards, both the executives and the construction workers exuded a genuine sense of pride about their ongoing efforts at the site. “Anybody on this project knows it’s the opportunity of a lifetime,” said Wackrow, who asserted his belief that Hudson Yards is, by far, the best development he’s ever been a part of. The Related VP also expressed his deep respect for the construction Workers — and it seemed clear that the feeling was mutual.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...er-shaped-cake

Hudson Yards Celebrates First Year of Construction With Tower-Shaped Cake

By Mathew Katz
December 4, 2013

Quote:
The developers of Hudson Yards unveiled a 5-foot-tall birthday cake in the shape of the West Side complex's 52-story first tower Wednesday, to celebrate the first anniversary of the massive project's groundbreaking.

The gigantic frosted vanilla cake was baked by future Hudson Yards tenant Fairway Market as a thank you to the hundreds of construction workers building the project, which will eventually include several soaring skyscrapers.

"It's pretty nice that they did something for us," said Vish Omrao, 28, a foreman whose team has worked on the building since April. "It was a good cake, too."

Construction on the first tower, which will be home to Coach, L'Oreal USA and SAP, began at the end of 2012. The building, slated for a 2015 opening, already weighs 380 million pounds and stands three stories above its next-door neighbor, the High Line.

The project's developers, the Related Companies and Oxford Properties, also plan to mark the one-year birthday with an eight-day interactive exhibition featuring Hudson Yards at the Time Warner Center. The exhibit opens on Thursday and will include new models, renderings and construction videos.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 3:03 AM
BANNED

It looked better in the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
It looked better in the renderings.
Yeah, but how did the renderings taste?...

themodulorman

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 AM

I do think this project along with its North tower is by far the most exciting project in NYC. Does anyone know if there is a link to watch this live? Earth Link?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 5:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 9, 2013 at 5:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive