HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
True North asking for 6 month extension to make decision:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sion-1.7043350
Could see that coming. The site is cursed, and TN likely has it's hands full with the Jets attendance crisis.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 4:50 PM

It's pretty normal to ask for extension of time in developments. Happens all the time. More specific to land development. But this is a big project, so not overly concerning IMO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Could see that coming. The site is cursed, and TN likely has it's hands full with the Jets attendance crisis.
What could they possibly be doing? Sitting around a boardroom fretting over attendance? The real estate side would be mostly independent of whatever the Jets are doing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 4:53 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
^ I really doubt they can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

I think it's likely that they want to know more about this accelerator $$ coming down the pipe.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:59 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm sure part of the reason is the change in government in Oct. Two month's isn't a lot of time to get up to speed with new government partners on a $500m project.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 9:40 PM

I have to say I do find this concerning just because the club is quite competitive and still drawing 2000 less fans a night to jets 1.0 on average at the old rickety barn at polo. My biggest gripe is there is so little in complimentary entertainment surrounding cl place its just government offices or first nation officials offices there's so little thats fun or uplifting. Look at downtown Detroit in comparison and atleast it has such a revitalization in its downtown. I wonder if jets might be considering putting that $500 million to a south winnipeg arena instead seeing the Bombers success in a few years when cl place turns 30. I hope I am wrong.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:10 AM

Maybe someone should clue them in. $15 beer after the cost of a ticket is just a little over the top.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I have to say I do find this concerning just because the club is quite competitive and still drawing 2000 less fans a night to jets 1.0 on average at the old rickety barn at polo. My biggest gripe is there is so little in complimentary entertainment surrounding cl place its just government offices or first nation officials offices there's so little thats fun or uplifting. Look at downtown Detroit in comparison and atleast it has such a revitalization in its downtown. I wonder if jets might be considering putting that $500 million to a south winnipeg arena instead seeing the Bombers success in a few years when cl place turns 30. I hope I am wrong.
At the old barn, tickets were $23.82 each on average during 1995-96. Today they are over four times that price. Concessions are also exponentially more costly.

There is zero chance that Winnipeg is going to build a new arena anytime before 2045. And when they do, it is likely to be build downtown, perhaps closer to the Forks. TNSE has really revitalised downtown in the past 15 years.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:42 PM

please let's drop the Jets attendance issue being the delay on PP re-development. Same parent company but diferent arms completely. The change in gov't and the guarantees of health tenants is whats key. Also for the residential, the new Fed $ for affordable housing is whats delaying it.

BTW - Jets have had some amazing sales on upper deck tickets recently, I snagged 2 for Feb for $100 and get a free bobblehead.

What other entertainment do you want in the area? There quite a few restaurants (Brown's, Rudy's, True North square, Tavern, Shark Club, BP, Local, The Met, etc) and Burton Cumming theatre for concerts.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Maybe someone should clue them in. $15 beer after the cost of a ticket is just a little over the top.
People keep saying this as if the prices are abnormal for an NHL game. Show me a rink in the league where you can get a beer for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
please let's drop the Jets attendance issue being the delay on PP re-development. Same parent company but diferent arms completely. The change in gov't and the guarantees of health tenants is whats key. Also for the residential, the new Fed $ for affordable housing is whats delaying it.

BTW - Jets have had some amazing sales on upper deck tickets recently, I snagged 2 for Feb for $100 and get a free bobblehead.

What other entertainment do you want in the area? There quite a few restaurants (Brown's, Rudy's, True North square, Tavern, Shark Club, BP, Local, The Met, etc) and Burton Cumming theatre for concerts.
They need to make it more fun inside the arena and it seems like somehow the only ideas they have are Mick E banging that drum and the announcer screaming MAKE SOME NOOOISE 3 times per period. How hard is it to hire some performers to do stuff in the stands and concourses? Hire some Gen Z marketing & entertainment people straight out of school and let them loose.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:09 PM

Another article about the PP development:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.7045553

Interesting and encouraging that the PP and Bay building redevelopments seem to be more actively working together to complement each other's projects.

from the article:

"I think they're equally important and I think both organizations, as we have evolved together in our thinking, would be encouraging the other and then encouraging our respective public partners for joint success."

This statement is no platitude. SCO and True North appear to need each other — and not just because it makes zero sense to spend hundreds of millions redeveloping one massive downtown edifice while another sits empty across the street.

To date, SCO has only announced $110 million worth of financing toward a Wehwehneh project it initially costed out at $130 million. The organization also had plans to place a health clinic within that facility.

Removing some or all of that component from the former Bay building and relying on the clinic True North has proposed for the base of its Portage Place health-care tower instead could free up some SCO funds for the rest of the Wehwehneh project

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Another article about the PP development:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.7045553

Interesting and encouraging that the PP and Bay building redevelopments seem to be more actively working together to complement each other's projects.

from the article:

"I think they're equally important and I think both organizations, as we have evolved together in our thinking, would be encouraging the other and then encouraging our respective public partners for joint success."

This statement is no platitude. SCO and True North appear to need each other — and not just because it makes zero sense to spend hundreds of millions redeveloping one massive downtown edifice while another sits empty across the street.

To date, SCO has only announced $110 million worth of financing toward a Wehwehneh project it initially costed out at $130 million. The organization also had plans to place a health clinic within that facility.

Removing some or all of that component from the former Bay building and relying on the clinic True North has proposed for the base of its Portage Place health-care tower instead could free up some SCO funds for the rest of the Wehwehneh project
Good idea, no need for two clinics across the street from each other.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 2:08 PM

True North Real Estate Development and the Southern Chiefs' Organization plan to work together on their respective efforts to redevelop large structures in downtown Winnipeg

plan to sign a memorandum of understanding on Tuesday about co-ordinating their downtown Winnipeg revitalization efforts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ning-1.7054813

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
True North Real Estate Development and the Southern Chiefs' Organization plan to work together on their respective efforts to redevelop large structures in downtown Winnipeg

plan to sign a memorandum of understanding on Tuesday about co-ordinating their downtown Winnipeg revitalization efforts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ning-1.7054813
Fantastic news!! I was especially buoyed by this section in the article:

Sources say officials from True North, the SCO, the provincial government and the City of Winnipeg will attend a signing ceremony slated for Portage Place on Tuesday.

Two sources said David Thomson, a partner in True North through his real-estate firm Osmington Inc., will be in Winnipeg on Tuesday as well

For me these projects have been the #1 priority for downtown, and it's great to see such positive movement.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 4:04 PM

This is the reason for the 6 month extension, I would assume.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Fantastic news!! I was especially buoyed by this section in the article:

Sources say officials from True North, the SCO, the provincial government and the City of Winnipeg will attend a signing ceremony slated for Portage Place on Tuesday.

Two sources said David Thomson, a partner in True North through his real-estate firm Osmington Inc., will be in Winnipeg on Tuesday as well

For me these projects have been the #1 priority for downtown, and it's great to see such positive movement.
Now David Thompson money is something that can get things moving. Imagine what could be done with PP and the Bay with his coinpurse backing the project. Maybe he's interested in buying that tower in St Mary and getting that done lol.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 8:53 PM
surely you agree with me

confirmed for tomorrow morning.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 11:54 PM

Awesome. I have no idea what about Chipper made David Thomson gravitate to him, but we all win because of it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 12:48 AM

Thomson owned the Eatons property. They became partners from there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 1:42 AM
surely you agree with me

I wrote a column about it once. If Osmington didn’t buy the old Eatons buildings across the country when it went bankrupt, we wouldn't have the Jets. Amazing stroke of fortune for our city. Thank Glen Murray for putting them together.

https://www.numberten.com/blog/26-ur...es-long-legacy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan