HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:49 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Exclamation WPG - Giant windmill eyed for Forks

Giant windmill eyed for Forks
Turbine would be as tall as Richardson building

February 3, 2007 - The Winnipeg Sun

By ROCHELLE SQUIRES, LEGISLATURE REPORTER

A wind turbine is being considered for The Forks. (HANDOUT)

The Winnipeg skyline may soon have a distinct feature that would stand as tall as the Richardson building.

The province and The Forks are considering building a wind turbine if community consultations and wind-monitoring tests prove successful.

"It's really exciting," said NDP Energy Minister Jim Rondeau. "There's about 50 wind turbines around the province, and it would be very exciting to have one in Winnipeg."

Rondeau said a wind turbine in the heart of Winnipeg would be a symbol of the province's commitment to building clean-energy resources and protecting the environment.

TOWER GOING UP

A temporary meteorological tower will be erected at The Forks next week to monitor the wind and determine if it can produce enough power to be economically viable.

"It's not the wind on the ground, it's the wind 200 metres up (that counts)," said Rondeau.

Jim August, chief executive officer at The Forks North Portage Partnership, said preliminary information indicates there could be enough wind to power much of The Forks with clean energy.

"(It would) reduce the environmental footprint of Winnipeg's No. 1 tourist attraction," said August.

Public hearings will be held in conjunction with the six- or 12-month testing phase.

"We need to see if the public would support this," said Rondeau.

An environmental licence would also be required prior to the project moving forward at The Forks, said Rondeau.

"It could be as early as about a year or two years from now (before the wind turbine is up and running)," he said.

Rondeau said the wind turbine could serve as a public education hub for schoolchildren and visitors.

There is already a 63-turbine, 99-megawatt wind farm in St. Leon, which generates enough wind energy to power approximately 35,000 homes.

The province and The Forks will share the cost of the $50,000 wind test tower.

The turbines emit very little noise so that would not be a factor, said Rondeau.

If the project gets the green light, it would be the first time since the 19th century that a windmill has stood at The Forks.

What the heck???

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:52 PM

call me wacky, but i love it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:10 PM
Capitalist

I like the concept, but talking to people from hydro, as well as have seen one of these big wind turbines up close, they are noisey. The article disagrees, so I hope they are being truthful with the public.

How about using the roofs of Johnson Terminal and Forks Market for solar power. Not as flashy as a 30 story wind turbine, but alot more quite.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:26 PM
arf

I really like the idea. It's odd, but a great statement. I'm not sure about the sound levels either, if it's quiet enough or the sound doesn't affect a very large area then I'd say do it now. Although it's a pretty poor solar envelope siteing, I would like them to solar panel the entire East side of the Kensington Building as well as a statement to alternative energy sources.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:45 PM
urbanYVR.com

i think this is fantastic... we need to be doing more unqiue things like this. I think it fits perfectly into the tourist side of the forks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:50 PM

maybe I'm weird, but I think windmills are big ugly eye sores

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:11 PM
ILYR

Windfarm at the forks.

But where will you put it?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:18 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
maybe I'm weird, but I think windmills are big ugly eye sores
It won't add to the skyline thats for sure... unless you also think telephone poles are attractive.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:19 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Windfarm at the forks.

But where will you put it?

Please note the amount of sun hitting the Forks Market and Johnson Terminal and Children muesum.. Capture that sunlight for power???

Also note the roof-like feature over the rail line behind Unuin Station... Load that puppy with solar panels too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:24 PM

People didn't like grain elevators a hundred years ago - now they're icons. I love the wind turbine idea (in fact I can take a little bit of credit for it). At one time it was proposed for Festival Park but that was pre-Canadian Museum for Human Rights. The testing tower is going in the Port - does that mean the turbine would have to as well?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:39 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

It's like a pinwheel! I say what the heck, its a conversation piece at the worst.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:42 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I like the concept, but talking to people from hydro, as well as have seen one of these big wind turbines up close, they are noisey. The article disagrees, so I hope they are being truthful with the public.
I was under the impression that wind farms were noisy, because theres so many of them and wind itself is rather noisy too, so if its windy already, you're not going to be worried about the noise a spinning windmill is going to be making. You're going to be going "damn wind".. unless a single windmill is so noisy you can hear it inside the forks or outside on a clear non windy day, which i somehow think unlikely, who knows. But interesting perspective anyways, hope you're wrong.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:07 PM

Love the idea, as wacky as it may add to the skyline.

As for the noise factor, I had the chance to see a wind farm up close in Austria last year. The farm was a year old, so fairly new turbines, and you only heard a pretty low hum within about 100 of the turbine. I noticed that the sound itself was coming from the generator ~80m high, so it was more like a distant noise rather than something loud right beside you. At the middle of the farm, you did hear a significant bit of noise from all the turbines around, but I don't think a single turbine would be problematic.

If this does go up, the turbine in combination with the museum, esplande riel, & the hydro tower, our skyline would definitely be unique! Winnipeg - wackily progressive!

Last edited by j.online; Feb 3, 2007 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Please note the amount of sun hitting the Forks Market and Johnson Terminal and Children muesum.. Capture that sunlight for power???

Also note the roof-like feature over the rail line behind Unuin Station... Load that puppy with solar panels too.
The only problem with rooftop solar panels in our climate is that they'd be under feet of snow for 5 or 6 months of the year (not yet economical with current technology). Case in point: look at any bus shed in the city with the solor panels installed - they're completely useless right now.

Cities like Copenhagen or Helsinki have some of the greenest footprints on the planet & also share our climate. We should see how they implement rooftop panels.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:28 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
It won't add to the skyline thats for sure... unless you also think telephone poles are attractive.
That's a really bizarre comparison.

Modern windmills are an amazing sight to see. There are several large windfarms a few hours south of Calgary, and every time I drive by, I almost tear up. Clean, limitless power. It's the environmentalist's dream. Plus, there's something very elegant and peaceful about the slow sweep of the blades.

I'd love to see one of these at the Forks. Noise? It's RIGHT BESIDE DOWNTOWN.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:43 PM
What we play is life.

/\---I agree. They are quite spectacular. I am actually planning a photo shoot of a farm in the coming months. I'll be sure to post the pics.

As far as one in the city, why not? They are really quite quiet unless you are standing really close to the blade, in which case your going to die anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:57 PM
Community Guy

i like the idea...just dont tell Toronto about it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:29 PM

I absolutely love the idea. I hope the study proves the windmill to be economically viable.

I have to agree with the majority on here, it would look great. Certainly different. But easily something other Canadian Centres don't have in their large urban plazas. For all intents and purposes ...a couple windmills would be look great at Ass. Park. Just my opinion though.

With the likely possibility of an 80 metre tall windmill, to co-incide with the very large Human Rights Museum, and the already existing attractions like Can West Global Park, the Esplanade Riel, Manitoba Children's Museum, Forks Market/Johnston Terminal, River Walk, unique restaurants, clubs (in the summer), river recreation (summer and winter), walking paths, sitting areas, etc. right on the south east bank of downtown would be nothing short of phenomenal. A multi-day tourist attraction and symbol of civic pride.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i like the idea...just dont tell Toronto about it.
I heard Toronto already has one...I believe it's located at Exhibition Place.
I still like the idea.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:36 PM

Naturally, they would have to light it up for night time. That would be pretty sweet lookin'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan