HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
But it always is a pickup truck. There is something wrong with these people that feel a need to express such a extreme statement on their vehicle. Why is it always someone that drives a pickup truck? What is the psychology of people that drive these trucks? Are they latent trumpeteers?
Is this any different from the "Stop Harper" signs people put on stop signs across the country. In 2014/2015 it waspretty big in the Toronto where I lived.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...igns-1.3191586

To me this isn't different. Fringe of political beliefs always goes a bit nuts. At least they are doing it on their own cars though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
So they don't care what other people think, except that they do care what other people think? Why else would they 'broadcast'? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.
Lots of things are displayed for their own purpose. People flying flags (of Canada or other places) sports team gear, band tshirts, college program sweaters or alumni gear. "I like this and I'm gonna rock it". Wearing a Ticats jersey cus I love the Cats is no different the rocking a Fuck Trudeau sign cus you hate Trudeau. Nobody else's opinions have to have anything to do with it (it might, it might not). In fact all of those things, more than having anything to do with other peoples opinions, are likely to connect you with other people who have similar connections as you. You might ask someone what year they graduated, or "tough season this year eh?", or in your example, "fuck that guy eh?"

Quote:
I gotta ask: do you think it is appropriate to have a huge flag/decal screaming "FUCK TRUDEAU" on a vehicle that is driving on public streets? You don't consider that...a tad too aggressive or inconsiderate?
No I don't. Swearing is part of language. Everyone does it. Enforcing it as taboo gives it the power you are trying to prevent. I don't believe in "won't somebody please think of the children" - If someone swears in public and your kid happens to be nearby, take the time to educate them about what swearing is, why people do it, how it is or isn't appropriate in your worldview that you're passing onto them as a parent. They probably already know the words from their friends anyway. If they truly are innocent then how do they know it's a swear and to be offended?

I view it similar to the contrast between drinking culture in Europe and North America. If it's no big deal and just part of life, then nobody goes overboard and it remains no big deal and just part of life. If you make it a big deal, than any kid or teenager gets some real easy mileage out of the shock value, and middle aged men will be all a-tither on the internet about it. We should be more like the Aussies. "Howzit going cunt" is a perfectly fine greeting between buddies if everyone is cool with it.

As it specifically relates to political leaders. They have very deliberately entered a life of public criticism. That criticism will not always be friendly, or use language determined to be for "polite company". Freedom to criticize, even using strong language, is a key part of democracy.

Quote:
And why (back to my question) is it ALWAYS pickup truck drivers that spout such anger? Why are they always so angry?
Based on how much you like to complain about them, I'm going to say that's partially a "you" thing you're projecting. Once you're looking for something you'll see it. You probably didn't notice the ten trucks that drove by like normal going about their day, but see one punch it from a light with a loud exhaust and one with a sign expressing their political views that you don't like and suddenly it's "all pickup drivers". They're the most popular vehicles in the country, remember, they are driven by a broad swath of people.

Partially might be overlap between people who use trucks and things not going especially well recently - blue collar jobs declining etc. Telling someone they have no right to be angry just makes them angrier. People who have anger will express it. It might be by putting a crass decal on their truck, it might be be by electing Donald Trump or Maxime Bernier. Maybe they just blow off their steam by gunning it at a light and they feel fine by the time they get home.

Idk, I'm not a psychologist and I'm not angry. I sure do like having a big V8 though (to return to car-talk).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Micro-mobility is really growing rapidly, at least here in Vancouver, and I think there is going to come a point where completely traffic separated micro-mobility freeways will make sense. They would be far cheaper to build and maintain compared to a automobile freeway, and they would be easier to implement in a dense city environment because they would be smaller.

These devices travel at 30 km/h and higher, so getting on an expressway would get you to your destination faster than by car, in an inner city environment. Really a transportation strategy that should be seriously considered.
In a dense urban environment, there's not really much space to build any kind of freeways, and any kind of microtransit will quickly be overwhelmed. I suggest looking into the Las Vegas Loop for an example of failed microtransit.

At the end of the day, if you're going to invest the resources in building tunnels or guideways in a densely-populated area, it makes far more sense to build high-capacity trains with the ability to rapidly load than in low-capacity pods that load slowly.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
In a dense urban environment, there's not really much space to build any kind of freeways, and any kind of microtransit will quickly be overwhelmed. I suggest looking into the Las Vegas Loop for an example of failed microtransit.

At the end of the day, if you're going to invest the resources in building tunnels or guideways in a densely-populated area, it makes far more sense to build high-capacity trains with the ability to rapidly load than in low-capacity pods that load slowly.
Vancouver had it right 100 years ago. This still makes the most sense for dense urban cores. Even more so now.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:27 PM
Fake News

Finally read the first page of this thread and understand its purpose now. My recent car buying experience is exactly what this thread is about. I wanted a Subaru Impreza because it's a small fuel efficient car with AWD. I wanted a cheaper vehicle than my Legacy. Unfortunately due to Covid none were available. They stopped producing them in 2020. I went to both Subaru dealers in the city, one of which was the worst car shopping experience that I've ever had. It seems with car shortages dealers are bigger dicks than usual and truly don't give 2 shits.

In any case, I went to Nissan as I had a Sentra that I liked back in '08. There literally was not a single car on the lot. It was all CUV's, SUV's and trucks. So here I am with a Qashqai that is less fuel efficient than my previous car and costs double for insurance. My lease payment went down but overall it costs way more money. It's a decent vehicle but not what I set out for.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Is this any different from the "Stop Harper" signs people put on stop signs across the country. In 2014/2015 it waspretty big in the Toronto where I lived.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...igns-1.3191586

To me this isn't different. Fringe of political beliefs always goes a bit nuts. At least they are doing it on their own cars though.
Stop Harper vs. FUCK TRUDEAU

You don't see a difference? really?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Lots of things are displayed for their own purpose. People flying flags (of Canada or other places) sports team gear, band tshirts, college program sweaters or alumni gear. "I like this and I'm gonna rock it". Wearing a Ticats jersey cus I love the Cats is no different the rocking a Fuck Trudeau sign cus you hate Trudeau. Nobody else's opinions have to have anything to do with it (it might, it might not). In fact all of those things, more than having anything to do with other peoples opinions, are likely to connect you with other people who have similar connections as you. You might ask someone what year they graduated, or "tough season this year eh?", or in your example, "fuck that guy eh?"

No I don't. Swearing is part of language. Everyone does it. Enforcing it as taboo gives it the power you are trying to prevent. I don't believe in "won't somebody please think of the children" - If someone swears in public and your kid happens to be nearby, take the time to educate them about what swearing is, why people do it, how it is or isn't appropriate in your worldview that you're passing onto them as a parent. They probably already know the words from their friends anyway. If they truly are innocent then how do they know it's a swear and to be offended?

I view it similar to the contrast between drinking culture in Europe and North America. If it's no big deal and just part of life, then nobody goes overboard and it remains no big deal and just part of life. If you make it a big deal, than any kid or teenager gets some real easy mileage out of the shock value, and middle aged men will be all a-tither on the internet about it. We should be more like the Aussies. "Howzit going cunt" is a perfectly fine greeting between buddies if everyone is cool with it.

As it specifically relates to political leaders. They have very deliberately entered a life of public criticism. That criticism will not always be friendly, or use language determined to be for "polite company". Freedom to criticize, even using strong language, is a key part of democracy.

Based on how much you like to complain about them, I'm going to say that's partially a "you" thing you're projecting. Once you're looking for something you'll see it. You probably didn't notice the ten trucks that drove by like normal going about their day, but see one punch it from a light with a loud exhaust and one with a sign expressing their political views that you don't like and suddenly it's "all pickup drivers". They're the most popular vehicles in the country, remember, they are driven by a broad swath of people.

Partially might be overlap between people who use trucks and things not going especially well recently - blue collar jobs declining etc. Telling someone they have no right to be angry just makes them angrier. People who have anger will express it. It might be by putting a crass decal on their truck, it might be be by electing Donald Trump or Maxime Bernier. Maybe they just blow off their steam by gunning it at a light and they feel fine by the time they get home.

Idk, I'm not a psychologist and I'm not angry. I sure do like having a big V8 though (to return to car-talk).
I appreciate your cogent reply. We can agree to disagree about the need for some civility in public. For example, I personally think trucknuts are completely inappropriate, and this has nothing to do with freedom of speech (more about giving the finger to everyone). As for the angry pickup truck drivers, their belligerent hostility will not win them much support, even though they could stand to gain much on some of the issues from the broader public.

hotcarsimage

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Vancouver had it right 100 years ago. This still makes the most sense for dense urban cores. Even more so now.

Streetcars have their place in urban transportation for sure, but there's a reason Translink built the Skytrain. For moving huge numbers of people over long distances, trams aren't really the best solution, given that they are much slower than a grade-separated train line. From what I've heard, trams in Toronto are actually SLOWER than the buses that occasionally replace them.

I've not been to Vancouver, but I have the feeling that trams just aren't the best solution, unless you take drastic action to remove cars from downtown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
Streetcars have their place in urban transportation for sure, but there's a reason Translink built the Skytrain. For moving huge numbers of people over long distances, trams aren't really the best solution, given that they are much slower than a grade-separated train line. From what I've heard, trams in Toronto are actually SLOWER than the buses that occasionally replace them.

I've not been to Vancouver, but I have the feeling that trams just aren't the best solution, unless you take drastic action to remove cars from downtown.
You cant beat street cars for moving people around a Downtown core. Convenience is next level.

As for travel out to the suburbs, I completely agree. Skytrain is the way.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your cogent reply. We can agree to disagree about the need for some civility in public. For example, I personally think trucknuts are completely inappropriate, and this has nothing to do with freedom of speech (more about giving the finger to everyone). As for the angry pickup truck drivers, their belligerent hostility will not win them much support, even though they could stand to gain much on some of the issues from the broader public.

hotcarsimage
I don't disagree with you there. I'm in no way saying being loud or crass is useful or favourable, only that I believe strongly it's a right that they have. It's up to them to figure out that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Almost nobody drove pickup trucks back then.
The pickups back then were very utilitarian, 3 on the tree, am radio, vinyl seats. 4x4 were very rough to drive and you had to get out of the truck to manually switch the hubs to shift to 4 wheel drive. I remember using the 1974 GMC 3/4 ton to pull a harrow bar.

Today's trucks are nicer to drive than most cars these days.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Why is the "trucknut" above parked in a handicapped space???

Is that large pair hanging off the back end of his truck considered a physical disability???

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Why is the "trucknut" above parked in a handicapped space???

Is that large pair hanging off the back end of his truck considered a physical disability???
Brain dead and small penis. I'll allow it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The pickups back then were very utilitarian, 3 on the tree, am radio, vinyl seats. 4x4 were very rough to drive and you had to get out of the truck to manually switch the hubs to shift to 4 wheel drive. I remember using the 1974 GMC 3/4 ton to pull a harrow bar.

Today's trucks are nicer to drive than most cars these days.
My first few years of university I had use of ‘84 F150 with a 4 speed manual. It was geared so low that you’d have start out in 2nd gear. It had extra leaf springs in the back so the the ride quality was tooth rattling. No AC, AM radio only, crank windows….plus it would kill anything living as you drove past because the carburetor was always rich even after you thought it was set right.

Today’s trucks are much nicer than my dinosaur and even though most people don’t use them as intended, it’s ultimately their decision to drive one. Gas prices will adjust people’s habits.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Finally read the first page of this thread and understand its purpose now. My recent car buying experience is exactly what this thread is about. I wanted a Subaru Impreza because it's a small fuel efficient car with AWD. I wanted a cheaper vehicle than my Legacy. Unfortunately due to Covid none were available. They stopped producing them in 2020. I went to both Subaru dealers in the city, one of which was the worst car shopping experience that I've ever had. It seems with car shortages dealers are bigger dicks than usual and truly don't give 2 shits.

In any case, I went to Nissan as I had a Sentra that I liked back in '08. There literally was not a single car on the lot. It was all CUV's, SUV's and trucks. So here I am with a Qashqai that is less fuel efficient than my previous car and costs double for insurance. My lease payment went down but overall it costs way more money. It's a decent vehicle but not what I set out for.
It is a terrible time to buy a new car. With low stock, dealers can charge top dollar. It sucks for buyers, because dealers know they can just wait for someone who really needs a car to buy one.

My understanding is that the Subaru Impreza is still in production. They might have very few in stock nationwide as Subarus are popular, even the sedans.

Anyway, if you had posted a while ago I might have recommended a VW Passat. They're selling like coldcakes and VW's ending production soon. They're part of a handful of models that still has manufacturer incentives on them (I think it was $4,000) so you could pick one up for the cost of a Mazda3. The trick in this market is to go against the grain. So, that's unpopular sedans. The Chevrolet Malibu would be another candidate that might still have cash on the hood.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 1:07 AM

Is it possible to castrate truck nuts?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
It is a terrible time to buy a new car. With low stock, dealers can charge top dollar. It sucks for buyers, because dealers know they can just wait for someone who really needs a car to buy one.

My understanding is that the Subaru Impreza is still in production. They might have very few in stock nationwide as Subarus are popular, even the sedans.

Anyway, if you had posted a while ago I might have recommended a VW Passat. They're selling like coldcakes and VW's ending production soon. They're part of a handful of models that still has manufacturer incentives on them (I think it was $4,000) so you could pick one up for the cost of a Mazda3. The trick in this market is to go against the grain. So, that's unpopular sedans. The Chevrolet Malibu would be another candidate that might still have cash on the hood.
The Korean companies are still very well stocked, since I believe they build their own chips.

However then one needs to deal with their dealerships, while their cars have improved the dealers have not!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Is it possible to castrate truck nuts?
Sure as long as you’re ok with vandalizing other peoples property.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Sure as long as you’re ok with vandalizing other peoples property.
It might keep them from multiplying.

"The SPCA encourages all to spay and neuter your dogs, cats and trucks. Originally bred for medium and heavy work tasks, the domesticated version are now increasingly in homes across Canada, regardless of family lifestyle. Did you know trucks consume nearly 50% more feed than traditional vehicles?"

(statistics are totally made up, FWIW, I have no idea)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 11:36 AM

What the hell kind of conversation is this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada