HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:28 PM
Skyriser

About the Ellis Building, nothing was historic then, just old.

And things like Victorians and a lot of that architecture was thought of as garish, gaudy, and obsolete compared to Space-age moments. Some of the surviving examples were saved only because owners were too poor to strip the architectural features off or fortunately clairvoyant that they would be in style again.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:45 PM

O'Neil Printing moving out, Hopefully that means construction is on the way:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...w-phoenix.html

Quote:
One of downtown Phoenix's longest serving businesses is moving east after it sold its building last month.

O'Neil Printing Inc. is packing up its longtime headquarters and operations at 366 N. Second Ave. and moving to a bigger space in the Cotton Center business center near the Phoenix border with Tempe.

The company undertook the move because of business growth and looking for a more flexible space, according to Jim Sadler, corporate services leader for Keyser, which helped the company find and lease the new space.

"The new lease provides both room for growth and cost-effective economics," he said in a statement. "Further, we were very proud to partner with O’Neil on the sale of its current buildings and land downtown as a part of this long-term growth and expansion strategy.”

O'Neil sold its downtown property for $9.325 million. It will lease about 64,000 square feet at 4303 E. Cotton Center Blvd., about five miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The building is owned by an entity called Liberty Cotton Center LLC, a subsidiary of Workplace Property Trust.

"Our new expanded and updated facilities will provide us with even greater opportunities to serve our customers," said Anthony Narducci, O'Neil's president.

The printer has been located in downtown Phoenix since 1908. it's new operation will allow for expansion of its current services.
Its funny that they dont just say "The land we were on was sold to a developer to build apartments and we got tons of money for it"

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:49 PM

A friend of mine is the VP of sales for them, I will ask him about this when I seem him next. A year ago he told me they wouldn't be moving but clearly things change.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:48 AM
Skyriser

I had this strange notion that they went bankrupt but it's good to hear they're expanding, especially in the digital age.

Tbqh, I've hated their building so much. That kind of office park industrial should have never been built downtown.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I had this strange notion that they went bankrupt but it's good to hear they're expanding, especially in the digital age.

Tbqh, I've hated their building so much. That kind of office park industrial should have never been built downtown.
Printing is a weird business, you could have asked somebody in the print business 30 years ago and they'd have told you for certain the industry would be dead by now, but here we are in 2019 and flyers, banners, handouts and brochures are still around and just as popular as ever

people like tactile things one of those strange industries that technology hasn't killed as expected

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:07 AM
Skyriser

^ Yup. This paperless office has been a fantasy since at least the late 1990s. It still persists. Paper is too cheap and will forever be, just like plastic.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Yup. This paperless office has been a fantasy since at least the late 1990s. It still persists. Paper is too cheap and will forever be, just like plastic.
Some of the old printing items have gone the way of the dinosaur... in my line of work we used to have plan sets and reports printed up all the time. Now all of those are electronic only. Haven't used our old print shop in years.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:13 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:38 PM

Maybe Vento is becoming one of our first true benefactors for the city.

Maybe he'll build private parks, museums and opera houses

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:53 PM

Guys like him make me feel really insignificant in this market. I'm really hoping he doesn't over-extend his obligations because I fundamentally like what he's doing, but it does seem a little overzealous.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 11:35 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Guys like him make me feel really insignificant in this market. I'm really hoping he doesn't over-extend his obligations because I fundamentally like what he's doing, but it does seem a little overzealous.
As treasurer for the Phoenix Elementary Capital Override YES committee I can tell you that he is investing in the community as well.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:26 AM
Skyriser

I fear what will happen to the neighborhood if he goes bankrupt again. I don't like having one developer controlling so much of the neighborhood. It's top down and not organic. Roosevelt Row had a charm with its grit and unique businesses.

Last edited by combusean; Sep 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:23 AM

I agree and that's my concern here, if the guy who owns 30% if the neighborhood goes BK then everyone loses. I don't think that's in the cards here but I can't help think of it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I agree and that's my concern here, if the guy who owns 30% if the neighborhood goes BK then everyone loses. I don't think that's in the cards here but I can't help think of it.
...or its an opportunity for people to get back into the neighborhood on the cheap at auction.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:07 AM
Skyriser

^ Yeah. I mean, at the end of the day in this cycle he's done at least Cambria and is renovating various buildings. He did 44 Monroe which started as luxury condos and now its a semi-decent apartment building for people looking to get into downtown that don't need a patio (lol).

I don't know where he's getting his money but if he goes bankrupt and the lender goes bankrupt the properties will be sold at auction for whoever wants them. Maybe someone will buy the houses and another party buys Cambria and another party buys the commercial buildings he's taken over. Top down but still organic--it's odd to consider this process over time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:29 AM

Tonight the Van Buren had an international food and Music Festival that encompassed about 3 blocks of the city including a musical and food area inside the Monroe street abbey.

As far as i know this is the first time in 30 years the general public has been allowed inside and they had live music, food and a bar and it was incredible.

I am not sure what the plan or funding mechanism is for the Abbey but if and when they finish it, it will be an incredible addition to downtown, it was a huge hit among the crowds.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Tonight the Van Buren had an international food and Music Festival that encompassed about 3 blocks of the city including a musical and food area inside the Monroe street abbey.

As far as i know this is the first time in 30 years the general public has been allowed inside and they had live music, food and a bar and it was incredible.

I am not sure what the plan or funding mechanism is for the Abbey but if and when they finish it, it will be an incredible addition to downtown, it was a huge hit among the crowds.
I’ve been in the Abbey twice now and I know they do yoga events on the occasion. While the event was so-so IMO, the highlight was the church. This is one project I’m very excited about, could be a crown jewel to the local historic preservation community.

Most impressed with the destroyed Corinthian columns towards the back with the lighting, transported me to the Roman Forum.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I remember reading they want to put in restaurants and a speakeasy in the basement, and I've heard they have plenty of interested tenants, but I feel like I've been reading they're close to actually opening for well over two years now.

Them opening up for this event is a good sign that we might be closer to that point though. I'm glad public reception was so great.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:50 PM
Modulator

Not sure if anyone caught this, but a fight appears to be brewing over the redevelopment of the parking lot of the Shepard of the Valley Lutheran church and it's trees off 15th Ave and Maryland. The current plan is to build 34 two-story single family homes in a gated lot. The church did not inform or disclose the plans to the are residents and will be removing the 50 year old pines and a few of the buildings.

Read more at: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...unity-11356975

Also, Talton has his take on it even though think most of his articles are mostly too opinionated: https://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue...hade.html#more

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
"Because the church is already zoned for single-family houses, the city council has little input over the fate of the church's buildings, its parking lot, and the surrounding trees"
Good article in the New Times. It's an interesting to see how neighbors can defend a giant parking lot under the auspices of trees. I think that under the new shade plan, they'll have to replace the trees with equivalent ones. Most of the lots will be on open grass or asphalt. I suspect that the angst is with those new neighbors and their oh-so-superior second floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest