HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
Wow. Who would have thought in a million years? Hats off to urbancore. I'm still holding out hope for that Netflix HQ. Hopefully it's not just the rented warehouse to store stage equipment.
Hoping it's the long term storage facility for all of the original mail order DVDs

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I wonder if the Bastrop film studio project is related to the potential Netflix move. It obviously would not be the HQ, but where they'd do some of their filming and whatnot.
There is just a huge crunch for production space with everything that is being made. Cinespace in Chicago is expanding, Blackhall and Pinewood in Atlanta continue expanding though all those guys are starting to run into some local opposition. LA and NYC are kind of tapped out space wise which is certainly part of the reason for the Bastrop project (which is being built by an LA company).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 7:14 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Yeah Netflix and Tesla are new economy companies and not just any companies but superstar companies in the new economy. Getting them is a real coup and worthy of taking time to note it.

The top of the big tech world right now is referred to as FAANG. Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google. Though alternatively some also have Microsoft too but that’s another story for another time.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/faang-stocks.asp

Last edited by N90; Oct 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 7:23 PM

Anyone have any insight on the TikTok situation? Are they still looking for office space downtown? And what vet happened to the 500k SF of space Facebook was looking for in downtown?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Yeah Netflix and Tesla are new economy companies and not just any companies but superstar companies in the new economy. Getting them is a real coup and worthy of taking time to note it.

The top of the big tech world right now is referred to as FAANG. Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google. Though alternatively some also have Microsoft too but that’s another story for another time.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/faang-stocks.asp
On the other hand, Tesla is not leaving California. In fact, Musk said that they will continue to expand their operations there.

IMO it would have been much more noteworthy if they were shutting their factories there and moving everything here, but that's probably too unrealistic. We're gonna have to settle for the mere prestige of having their HQ here — and the gigafactory of course.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
On the other hand, Tesla is not leaving California. In fact, Musk said that they will continue to expand their operations there.

IMO it would have been much more noteworthy if they were shutting their factories there and moving everything here, but that's probably too unrealistic. We're gonna have to settle for the mere prestige of having their HQ here — and the gigafactory of course.
The HQ and the new production facilities is all I wanted.

I don’t want them to shut down their factory or R&D labs in CA. Tesla employs 10k people in Fremont. I don’t want people losing their jobs, livelihoods, and means of providing for their families. I’m very happy that Tesla is staying in the Bay Area and expanding there too. There is a way for both us and SF Bay to win, and I think this is it IMO.

Elon mentioned that they’ll expand their Fremont factory. And he’s on Twitter trying to recruit AI developers to both Austin and Palo Alto. I like seeing that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/...02790205579264

Last edited by N90; Oct 10, 2021 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
The HQ and the new production facilities is all I wanted.

I don’t want them to shut down their factory or R&D labs in CA. Tesla employs 10k people in Fremont. I don’t want people losing their jobs, livelihoods, and means of providing for their families. I’m very happy that Tesla is staying in the Bay Area and expanding there too. There is a way for both us and SF Bay to win, and I think this is it IMO.

Elon mentioned that they’ll expand their Fremont factory. And he’s on Twitter trying to recruit AI developers to both Austin and Palo Alto. I like seeing that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/...02790205579264
Not to mention that there will be more cross-pollination between the Bay Area and Austin as a result of Tesla operating in both locales. I am sure there will be derivative benefits from that arrangement for our local economy.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:08 AM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
yikes

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 9:17 PM

Am I a bad person for not caring what crimes the guy may have committed, as long as we get the $17B? lol

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Am I a bad person for not caring what crimes the guy may have committed, as long as we get the $17B? lol
No, because I’m in the same boat as you too.

All I want is the new $17 billion fabrication facility. I don’t care about that guy’s personal life. He may be in charge of the company but this facility is for highly advanced chip production.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 10:11 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
So? Crime? Maybe by definition. But, geez - He abused a sedative. Who cares?!?

Give Taylor the factory...please!

**P.S. - this is not a dig at you, Austlar1. I'm not attempting to shoot the messenger. Cheers.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:41 AM

My only reason for posting about the Samsung leader Lee was because it could be that this seemingly insignificant legal problem might well delay any decision about the mega chip factory's location. It might even result in Mr. Lee returning to jail.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:55 PM

Samsung Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong Reportedly to Visit the U.S. Late This Month

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=78842

Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong is reportedly visiting the United States as early as at the end of October.

Lee has applied for a U.S. visa. He is expected to finalize the selection of the site for the company’s new U.S. foundry during this business trip.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:17 PM

Amazon has yet another large distribution center planned for the area. This is another one of their large 120' buildings, and will be located along SH45 on land purchased from the Robinson Ranch. Their P'ville facility will bring local employment to 12K when it's fully staffed, and this new facility will bring it to 13K.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=4#cxrecs_s

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Amazon has yet another large distribution center planned for the area. This is another one of their large 120' buildings, and will be located along SH45 on land purchased from the Robinson Ranch. Their P'ville facility will bring local employment to 12K when it's fully staffed, and this new facility will bring it to 13K.

I read Crain's Chicago (kind of their ABJ) pretty regularly, and they do a lot of reporting on Amazon's warehousing moves across Chicagoland. It's really similar to ours. Massive buildout all across the metro. It makes me wonder whether ALL cities of a certain size are getting 100's of k of Amazon square feet, or if somehow Austin and Chicago are unique.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I read Crain's Chicago (kind of their ABJ) pretty regularly, and they do a lot of reporting on Amazon's warehousing moves across Chicagoland. It's really similar to ours. Massive buildout all across the metro. It makes me wonder whether ALL cities of a certain size are getting 100's of k of Amazon square feet, or if somehow Austin and Chicago are unique.
I don't think it is really unique to just a handful of cities.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is really unique to just a handful of cities.
Yah. Me neither

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:

This acquisition will be 193 acres which is quite large for AMZN. For comparison their fulfillment center in P'ville is located on 94 acres and is 3.8m square feet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:09 PM
World Traveler

Community Impact also has it:
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...in-round-rock/

It will be interesting to see what they plan to do there on such a huge chunk of land. I also wonder if the stoplight at 172/McNeil would need to be shifted over to align with the other one at Oakridge Dr. Those two lights so close together can be a bit of a nightmare at rush hour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin