HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
You could have tested but really no need to if you were well and isolated at home. The 10 second breath hold, however interesting, has been shown to result in underdiagnosis of mild cases. Just keep away until the 14 day quarantine is up or your symptoms are completely gone for >24hrs, whichever comes last.
thanks for the reply...much appreciated. Lots of respect for the healthcare industry always, but especially right now. The next few months will test resolve.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:19 PM

Has the City said anything yet about layoffs of municipal employees?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quebec police set up checkpoints on bridge links with Ottawa to limit entry

This is interesting!

Canada’s National Capital Region is now divided in two after the Quebec government announced new travel restrictions, including police checks on bridges between Ottawa and the neighbouring city of Gatineau, as part of escalating measures to contain COVID-19.
The restrictions announced by the Quebec government Wednesday morning build on earlier controls to limit the movement of people in the province.
The controls limit entry into Quebec from Ontario but do not restrict people leaving Quebec. Police are stopping motorists to trying to enter Gatineau and asking their purpose for travel.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...id-new-travel/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
This is interesting!

Canada’s National Capital Region is now divided in two after the Quebec government announced new travel restrictions, including police checks on bridges between Ottawa and the neighbouring city of Gatineau, as part of escalating measures to contain COVID-19.
The restrictions announced by the Quebec government Wednesday morning build on earlier controls to limit the movement of people in the province.
The controls limit entry into Quebec from Ontario but do not restrict people leaving Quebec. Police are stopping motorists to trying to enter Gatineau and asking their purpose for travel.

Ottawa Mayor's response -

As police forces in Quebec began enforcing new regional travel restrictions on Wednesday to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus — including travel into the province from Ontario — the mayor of Ottawa says there are “no plans” to station police officers on interprovincial crossings that link the city with Gatineau.
“We don’t believe on this side that it’s necessary,” Jim Watson said in a teleconference call with reporters.
“We certainly would not support putting municipal police resources on five bridges 24 hours a day. I don’t think it would make any sense and it would take police away from doing vital work during this pandemic.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6762143/c...travel-limits/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
This is interesting!

Similar to Trumps idea of guarding the border. It's usually the side with the bigger problem that closes the border first. Given the health care deficit it also seems dangerous. On the other hand should stop the exodus to cottage country which makes sense on an individual level but does cause problems for West Quebec healthcare.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:52 AM

"The Global Recession Could Last a Long Time"

"The worldwide economic downturn could be especially deep and lengthy.
The world is almost certainly ensnared in a devastating recession delivered by the coronavirus pandemic.
Now, fears are growing that the downturn could be far more punishing and long lasting than initially feared, potentially enduring into next year, and even beyond.
The abrupt halt of commercial activity threatens to impose economic pain so profound and enduring in every region of the world at once that recovery could take years.
The losses to companies, many already saturated with debt, risk triggering a financial crisis of cataclysmic proportions.
This is already shaping up as the deepest dive on record for the global economy for over 100 years."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/b...recession.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Similar to Trumps idea of guarding the border. It's usually the side with the bigger problem that closes the border first. .
Though if we're comparing Ottawa vs. Gatineau, the prevalence of cases seems pretty similar relative to each city's population.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Given the health care deficit it also seems dangerous. .
This is true. I assume that emergency-related cases would be let through in either direction.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:38 PM
Mooderator

I work in Gatineau and there are a few coworkers that commute from Ottawa. One of them said there was no checkpoint on the M-C bridge this morning.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I work in Gatineau and there are a few coworkers that commute from Ottawa. One of them said there was no checkpoint on the M-C bridge this morning.
Yes, the checkpoints are sporadic (aléatoire). A Radio-Canada reporter tried all of the bridges this morning and was stopped at none of them. But as he was doing his live remote, he saw police starting to check vehicles on the Portage.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:45 PM

Well the dark days continue for us building and development lovers. As of today virtually all construction is coming to a standstill for the time being and the airport hotel is kiboshed indefinitely. I am really worried about Trinity Station ever seeing the light of day after this.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Well the dark days continue for us building and development lovers. As of today virtually all construction is coming to a standstill for the time being and the airport hotel is kiboshed indefinitely. I am really worried about Trinity Station ever seeing the light of day after this.
I should also mention these are simply my hobby quashing qualms. The dark days ahead are truly for the poor souls and loved ones that will lose their spark during this crisis.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think the chances of that project being built anytime soon were fairly low to begin with considering the lawsuit with Melnyk and the limited experience Trinity has with high-rise, and in this case skyscraper, construction.

This does suck for us enthusiasts. The airport will take a while to recover. World traveling will see a significant drop. I am worried that transit ridership might drop as well, and maybe even an uptick of suburban development out of fear of human contact. Possibly a drop in office demand now that this pandemic has proven that working remotely is very much doable for many jobs.

On the other hand, the Feds might step back from Office 2.0 and 3.0 to promote physical distancing in everyday life. I could also see more manufacturing moving back to Canada now that we see how hard it is to maintain supplies when they come from outside the country in times such as these (and the U.S. becoming a pirate state). More manufacturing here also means stronger environmental standards than China and third world markets currently producing the bulk of products.

Rental towers will likely continue to go up at a similar pace to what we've seen over the last few years; with economic uncertainty, people might want to rent instead of buy.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This does suck for us enthusiasts. The airport will take a while to recover. World traveling will see a significant drop. I am worried that transit ridership might drop as well, and maybe even an uptick of suburban development out of fear of human contact.
Let's see how much that pro-suburban/exurban/rural living sentiment that's bubbling out there persists once it becomes clear how bad suburbs, exurbs, and rural communities in the States are about to get hit by this thing.

Everyone looks at how concentrated the virus is in big centres like New York or Chicago.

No one is noticing yet that within those urban areas, its suburban areas that are getting the worst of it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 11:47 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Let's see how much that pro-suburban/exurban/rural living sentiment that's bubbling out there persists once it becomes clear how bad suburbs, exurbs, and rural communities in the States are about to get hit by this thing.

Everyone looks at how concentrated the virus is in big centres like New York or Chicago.

No one is noticing yet that within those urban areas, its suburban areas that are getting the worst of it.
Well, so far at least, that isn't *at all* how this is being portrayed. I've been ODing on COVID-19 coverage from both solitudes in Canada, the US, France, the UK and even other countries, for several weeks now, and have not gotten this message at all.

(BTW I do not think there is any sinister plot against cities underway regarding this thing.)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, so far at least, that isn't *at all* how this is being portrayed. I've been ODing on COVID-19 coverage from both solitudes in Canada, the US, France, the UK and even other countries, for several weeks now, and have not gotten this message at all.

(BTW I do not think there is any sinister plot against cities underway regarding this thing.)
There's so sinister plot against cities; it's all a matter of perception. Inevitably, some people will bring it up.

Quote:
David Reevely
@davidreevely

Unstated: If you wanted room to be outside, you should have bought a house in the suburbs instead of living the way the city has been asking people to live since amalgamation.

11:41 AM · Apr 5, 2020·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/sta...25295648342017

I live in Orleans and it is quite dull during these times. We take walks once in a while and only see rows and rows of the same 4-5 house designs.

I wish we lived in the city, where walks or bike rides would be more interesting, where people celebrate the first responders together on Wednesday evenings, and where musicians play on balconies (at least in Europe).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's so sinister plot against cities; it's all a matter of perception. Inevitably, some people will bring it up.

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/sta...25295648342017

I live in Orleans and it is quite dull during these times. We take walks once in a while and only see rows and rows of the same 4-5 house designs.

I wish we lived in the city, where walks or bike rides would be more interesting, where people celebrate the first responders together on Wednesday evenings, and where musicians play on balconies (at least in Europe).
I haven't heard much of that either way, TBQH. (As in suburbanites wishing they lived in the city and city slickers wishing they lived in the burbs.) With the possible exception of families with young children living in apartments/condos are finding it a bit tough.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I live with teens and they normally like roaming around the central urban cores of Hull and Ottawa, but in terms of this confinement they haven't mentioned they miss that any more than anything else. Or wished that their confinement was in, say, the Byward Market as opposed to Gatineau (secteur Gatineau).

If anything I think that they'd be a bit more apprehensive if we lived in a denser urban setting.

So as it stands now going "into town" (en ville) is just one of the things they miss, along with school, house parties, their part-time jobs, the mall, restaurants (both urban and suburban), etc.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's absolutely out there, and it's absolutely groundless.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 12:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

There are 4 hospital outbreaks of Covid-19 now. Are they being dealt with well?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion