HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
*light rail. dedicated lanes, limited stops. It's about nine miles from the Rialto to the Airport going down Kino. PHX's light rail stops about every half mile on dedicated lanes and still only averages 23 mph. That system would be a reasonable 20 min ride to/from TUS. The current bus takes 40.

I agree those are the obvious lines, but lets not take a trolley more than two or three miles from downtown.

I think a possible expansion of the "street car" type system in place would be 6th street. Starting downtown out to El Con. That's 4 miles, all but that mile or so through SH would be developable. Possible expansion down to Reid Park on the East or Pima West on the other end.

South on 6th Ave is a good proposal too, but I think higher density development would occur along 6th Street.
I know Steve Farley is a proponent the 6th Street corridor, but I honestly don't understand it. East of Campbell, it's effectively a dead zone: (1) residents of those neighborhoods are not the target demographic of public transit; (2) residents of those neighborhoods will fight increased public transit through their neighborhoods; (3) residents of those neighborhoods will fight redevelopment in those neighborhoods; (4) redevelopment in those neighborhoods would require rezoning, which would allow for enhanced input from those aforementioned residents. None of those issues exist along the Broadway corridor, which is being redeveloped as is.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:34 PM

$55 Million expansion proposed for the Kino SPorts Complex. Looking to be a Private/Public partnership

Pima County looking for private partners to help finance south-side sports facility

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
$55 Million expansion proposed for the Kino SPorts Complex. Looking to be a Private/Public partnership

Pima County looking for private partners to help finance south-side sports facility
I don't know how many of you on this Thread have kids who play baseball or soccer...and have to travel to the different facilities throughout the Phx metro area, but this is a must for Tucson. I know we can argue about the details, but I'm just pointing out as a parent that facilities like this are needed. The Ft. Lowell Shootout...its embarrassing to see where teams are sent off to go play games throughout Pima County...middle school fields? The media here and the Shootout tournament get giggly and proud because of the one weekend Tucson hosts a soccer tournament. The fact is, these tournaments are held all the time in metro Phx. The hype is misleading. The lucky ones get to play on a field at Kino North.

Baseball...Kino and Randolph have worked out for smaller tournaments, but teams/families throughout S. AZ have to travel to Phx/CA for the bigger facilities...meaning available regulation fields. I hope this works out...even if its phased out. What needs to be emphasized is that large tournaments need multiple facilities...not one. If you have a U10 to U18 tournament...that's a minimum of 8-9 age groups. If each age group has a minimum of 10 teams, good tournaments have 16 to 20 teams for each age group, where are they gonna play? Not to mention the younger age groups have different skill levels...So the 4 baseball fields at Kino and the 3 at Randolph cannot host a large tournament.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:10 PM

New 5K-Seat Soccer Stadium, Salt River-Pima Reservation (Phx/Scottsdale)

In line with the potential of a public/private partnership, this size and type of facility would be awesome for Tucson as FC Tucson continues to grow and look forward towards advancement as a "triple A" soccer team, maybe even as a MLS team. Too, this goes in line with the Streetcar extension talk...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
New 5K-Seat Soccer Stadium, Salt River-Pima Reservation (Phx/Scottsdale)

In line with the potential of a public/private partnership, this size and type of facility would be awesome for Tucson as FC Tucson continues to grow and look forward towards advancement as a "triple A" soccer team, maybe even as a MLS team. Too, this goes in line with the Streetcar extension talk...
Connecting all of this to the streetcar would be a huge win if these plans move forward. Add in the Costco, theater, Dave and Busters, etc and you have added some additional, interesting destinations to the streetcar.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I know Steve Farley is a proponent the 6th Street corridor, but I honestly don't understand it. East of Campbell, it's effectively a dead zone: (1) residents of those neighborhoods are not the target demographic of public transit; (2) residents of those neighborhoods will fight increased public transit through their neighborhoods; (3) residents of those neighborhoods will fight redevelopment in those neighborhoods; (4) redevelopment in those neighborhoods would require rezoning, which would allow for enhanced input from those aforementioned residents. None of those issues exist along the Broadway corridor, which is being redeveloped as is.
Going east of Campbell (Sam Hughes) would be about linking to El Con and possibly Reid Park. But the important part is the other 3 miles of ready-for-density land.

The naysayers are right in that most people have to get in a car to utilize the new transit. I think the way to keep the snowball rolling is to develop an area where density makes transit the best option for the increasing number of people who live/work there and expand outward.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Going east of Campbell (Sam Hughes) would be about linking to El Con and possibly Reid Park. But the important part is the other 3 miles of ready-for-density land.

The naysayers are right in that most people have to get in a car to utilize the new transit. I think the way to keep the snowball rolling is to develop an area where density makes transit the best option for the increasing number of people who live/work there and expand outward.
By ready for density, are you referring to 6th west of Campbell? I suppose portions of that can be developed, but much of that land is owned by UA. A good portion of the rest falls within West University, which would subject it to enhanced design review. Broadway, on the other hand, will be completely open for redevelopment once the road work is done. Based on The Mark, developers are already realizing this. Rio Nuevo and the city are, too. Broadway also gets you to El Con and Park Mall, if desired.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:48 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. Tucson should focus on tourism; tourism of any kind. Satisfies all of the NIMBY's and anti-growth that pervades in this town. Get folks from out of town here to spend money and then leave. No reason Tucson can't be a mecca for youth baseball, football, soccer, swimming, etc. One of the few times I agree with spending tax payer money. Spend money to make money.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPueblo$ View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Tucson should focus on tourism; tourism of any kind. Satisfies all of the NIMBY's and anti-growth that pervades in this town. Get folks from out of town here to spend money and then leave. No reason Tucson can't be a mecca for youth baseball, football, soccer, swimming, etc. One of the few times I agree with spending tax payer money. Spend money to make money.
Tourism jobs are generally minimum wage, don't provide any benefits of any kind, and, in Tucson, are extremely seasonal. Those aren't the kind of jobs any city should be focusing on. Tourism should not be the ideal for economic growth, although the industry can be beneficial as a secondary or terciary one.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 11:13 PM

So Arizona grew and attracted folks here because of the quantity and quality of high paying jobs/industry? That, or the cotton and cattle. Tourism generates $3.4B in direct spending in Tucson and Southern AZ. Tourism is low hanging fruit for us. It could be the catalyst for other jobs. Puts us on the map. Draws people.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 12:33 AM

http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnew...ntent/pKLoZevC

Bud Foster mentions that the financing is "set" for Ronstadt. Here's hoping!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 4:52 AM

And there's movement on the City Park development as well

Council signs off on $1.2 million tax incentive for downtown Tucson food hall

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:52 PM

I guess this news is a month old but I just saw it today. Old Tucson signed a three year deal to host an annual Off Road Grand Prix. Good for the area to have that kind of exposure.

Tucson to host annual off-road grand prix

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:55 AM

Seen and Heard in DTUC

I spend a lot of time in the downtown area on foot with my four-legged companion, Molly. Here are some things we have seen and heard regarding some smaller development happenings in the area. I'll start near my West University 'hood and work my way down.

-No Anchovies reopened after closing this summer for a complete remodel. For better or worse, it feels like a University Blvd. establishment. However, can confirm nothing about the pizza's deliciousness has changed.

-An open forum occurred on 12/6 with the West University association and the developers looking to build on the block on the SE corner of Uni/4th. I was hearing there were a few people hesitant to sign off on the block's historic status, but the majority of people that I've spoken to think the project will be good for the neighborhood. I've yet to hear what came of that meeting last week. Personally, I would love to see the proposed project come to fruition, assuming it is built as it was proposed.

-There has been pretty consistent daytime work on the restaurant project on the NE corner of Uni/4th. It is seemingly about 50% complete with most of the utility work being completed.

-The lot that will eventually be home to the boxcar cafeteria-style market already has some construction happening. It looks like they have prepared the lot to begin building.

-The AC Hotel looks to be tracking toward an on-time completion.

-I've been hearing a lot from various business owners that they are either looking or have heard of others looking to fill some of those vacant spots left by Proper and Pizzeria Bianco. I don't think those spots and the few at the Arizona Hotel will be vacant much longer. I'm also not counting The Miracle on Congress as a tenant.

-The Owl's Club is up and running and, in my opinion, an awesome fit for that building/area.

-The new bakery inside of the Mercado is also delicious.

Hope to highlight more of the smaller projects in the future. Again, I can't express how excited I am for all this development, big or small, happening all within walking distance. I'm also extremely grateful for this forum and you fellow Tucsonans! Cheers!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicosSuperfries View Post
-No Anchovies reopened after closing this summer for a complete remodel. For better or worse, it feels like a University Blvd. establishment. However, can confirm nothing about the pizza's deliciousness has changed.
Only disappointment so far is no tots yet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 4:48 PM

Tucson made National Geographic's Best Winter Trips 2017. The only destination on the list in the United States.

Tucson, Arizona: For the Food

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 4:57 PM

http://www.kvoa.com/story/34055706/n...vention-center

This has to be the arena lot, right? Hopefully them mentioning this means the planning is moving along.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post

This has to be the arena lot, right? Hopefully them mentioning this means the planning is moving along.
Good find. The RN agenda said the proposal was unsolicited, so could be something else. Other agenda items included discussion of agreements with the county to develop the parking lot on Broadway between Scott and 6th and a lot at Cushing and I-10. That parking lot on Broadway could be something great, so that's good news. Also, Peach wants to include the Gus Taylor Building in their renovation of the Chicago Store building, so they're asking RN for more money.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, its the ol' Teresa Lee Clinic lot that's been graded.

I wonder what this will do to the Nor-Gen proposal...and I hope its not the basic I-10 model hotel/motel. A Drury should be the minimum brand with internal/hallway entrances, not the outdoor products. If I recall, Peach proposed a Drury on the arena lot.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:20 PM

Bourn Companies are gonna be busy next year! Cant wait for City Park, been waiting a VERY long time.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tu...97ded43b1.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest