HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was a story tonight in ANS about the HAC approving this project 4-1. There was a great quote from Phil Pacey about the importance of having people who have "looked carefully" at the policies -- you know, helpful experts like him who can give an unbiased opinion...

Here are some renderings (I am hosting them):

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:54 AM

Looks good aside from the colour. It looks kinda blah to me. We have so much concrete in the downtown, do we really need glass the colour of concrete?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 4:56 AM

Was Phil Pacey the one against the proposal? Because I think all of us forumers will have an heart attack if he is for a building of significant height on Barrington.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:18 AM
Honored Member

There are some 2 year old comments in this document attributed to Phil Pacey - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/.../Case01231.pdf starting at page 64/70 of the pdf file - this is from March 26, 2009. Phil Pacey didn't have anything positive to say at the public information meeting on March 2009. However, the height has been dropped since that time. My guess is that he wasn't in favour this time either.

Although Phil pacey showed up for the HAC meeting this evening - March 31, 2011, the allnovascotia.com story states that the committee didn't take 3rd party submissions (Phil Pacey isn't on the committee so he would be a 3rd party). Here are the Heritage Advisory Committee members - (source: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/index.html )
* Councillor Bob Harvey - District 20 (Lower Sackville)
* Vacant
* Stephen Terauds
* Mark Archibald
* Tori Jarvis
* Carly Sorensen
* David Houlihan
* Monica MacDonald
* Emma Sampson
* Andrea Fox
* Anthony Hannaford

As stated by someone123, the vote tonight was 4-1 in favour (source: allnovascotia.com), so there must have been some members who were absent.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:31 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was a story tonight in ANS about the HAC approving this project 4-1. There was a great quote from Phil Pacey about the importance of having people who have "looked carefully" at the policies -- you know, helpful experts like him who can give an unbiased opinion...

Here are some renderings (I am hosting them):

This picture shows how much a development at the United Gulf location would improve the picture. Even a 20 storey single tower at the United gulf site would be a big improvement.

The exterior looks ok to me. I am sure that it was chosen to blend in with neighboring red brick buildings.

Since the Discovery Centre won't be moving until 2013 that would be the earliest that construction could begin. The story indicates that it would take about 15 months to construct.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:58 AM

I'm not surprised the HAC approved it. I take Phil's comments with some grain of salt. I wonder if perhaps he was involved with the developer helping to redesign it? So he might be coming out neutral on it simply to save face? Just a guess.

I would guess the materials is an attempt to model the building after some of the heritage buildings around it? I don't think it matches the existing building though? I'll have a look when I'm home for easter! YAY!

But I agree with Fenwick - this does show the gap waiting to be filled by the UG proposal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:24 PM

i think it looks good considering the surrounding buildings and how it works with them,

plus its a nice little canyon look, and it can only get better

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Was Phil Pacey the one against the proposal? Because I think all of us forumers will have an heart attack if he is for a building of significant height on Barrington.
Phil Pacey is not on the committee. He is part of the Heritage Trust, one of the third parties whose requests to make presentations were denied.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 3:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Phil Pacey is not on the committee. He is part of the Heritage Trust, one of the third parties whose requests to make presentations were denied.
Amazing... this should be the norm, their tactics are all about manipulating the system and not respecting other points of view. We have a process, so its good to see that its being followed properly.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:26 PM

Roy Building redevelopment disputed

METRO HALIFAX
Published: April 11, 2011 12:47 a.m.
Last modified: April 11, 2011 12:50 a.m.

The municipality’s heritage advisory committee is pushing back against proposed changes to the Roy Building.

Regional council is set to decide tomorrow on the fate of the Roy Building, located at 1651 Barrington St., and the Discovery Centre building at 1595 Barrington St.

Both buildings have developers planning mixed-use commercial redevelopments.

While the heritage advisory committee approves of the Discovery Centre development, a report to council suggests plans for the Roy Building do not comply with the municipality’s policy on adjacent buildings.

“It is the opinion of the committee that the proposal does not satisfactorily address (the policy) with respect to the Barrington sub-area,” reads the report, submitted by committee chair Stephen Terauds.

On that ground, the report recommends refusing the development agreement with Starfish Properties.

A staff report on the issue, along with the opinion of the District 12 Planning Advisory Committee, recommends the development agreement be approved.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 7:11 PM

The development agreement hearing for the Discovery Centre is on the agenda for this coming Tuesday's City Council meeting.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
Honored Member

This is being discussed now. I would like to see this go ahead, although I would prefer that it be residential.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:29 AM

I think the applicant is doing very well with his presentation and the staff presentation was pretty good.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:41 AM

Fred and Mr. McKinnon have spoken. I can't understand economic strategy but it was easier than normal to understand thankfully. McKinnon is talking fast but making good points.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:43 AM

Cities are getting rid of glass curtain walls!? Where is that coming from? What cities are doing that. Calgary approved at least 4 (that I can think of) in the last month!

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:48 AM

Here is the article that Bev Miller is talking about.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:50 AM

Did sue uteck just call out bev miller?!?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Did sue uteck just call out bev miller?!?
Yup- love it.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:59 AM

The Pacey's live on Yukon Street? Sweet jesus - there goes my idea of a mixed use corridor along there then!

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 1:04 AM

come on aren't we done yet? This proposal is far better then the roy and should slide through way easier.

Won't the arguements from the "trust" be the same as was stated for the Roy?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth