HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Maybe the extremely dated photographs belong in another thread. There is one on skylines of the past.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 10:39 PM

St-Sauveur neighbourhood

[IMG]Winter in Quebec City by Pierre-Olivier Fortin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:04 AM

^Thats awesome.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:18 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Wow, I wish the Maritimes had an area that dense!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:26 AM

It's not even that desirable and still pretty cheap. I also think St-Jean-Baptiste is a more dense neighborhood (and also better located, and nicer architecturally).

It's pretty nuts that we admire a meh neighborhood just because it happens to have no gigantic holes in it! Quite sad from an urbanity POV.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 2:57 AM

Love the fabric in that pic!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:35 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:44 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Wow, I wish the Maritimes had an area that dense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's not even that desirable and still pretty cheap. I also think St-Jean-Baptiste is a more dense neighborhood (and also better located, and nicer architecturally).
I was actually going to say that St-Sauveur reminds me of the building stock of the "poor" old sides of Halifax and Saint John, where you also find a mix of modest old 2-3 storey buildings. I think it's also the poorer side of old Quebec City whereas areas like St-Jean-Baptiste were ritzier when first developed.

St-Jean-Baptiste is as you say more impressive and harder to find an analogue to in the Maritimes, not as far as density goes but in terms of consistent heritage preservation and quality.

It's been a few years since I've been to Quebec City; I may head back this summer. It's interesting to contrast it with Halifax from an urban planning perspective, because parts of both cities started in a similar place but heritage preservation has been much stronger in Quebec City. Halifax is just now getting enough nice new buildings that some areas are more vibrant and impressive than they would have been had they been preserved in 1950. Then again, that's a bit of a false trade-off because parts of the city could have been preserved while others could have been opened up even more to development. There are also parts of Quebec City that are just nicer because the province seems to invest (proportionally much) more money into having nicer legislature grounds, etc.

Quebec City's also not a perfectly-preserved place. It feels a bit like there were some planning mishaps in the 1960's and 70's before people decided to pull the plug on large-scale development in the old core. There's a highway interchange that caused some damage and there are some office towers. The relative scale of those redevelopments was smaller though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:36 AM
ARTchitecture

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:12 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was actually going to say that St-Sauveur reminds me of the building stock of the "poor" old sides of Halifax and Saint John, where you also find a mix of modest old 2-3 storey buildings. I think it's also the poorer side of old Quebec City whereas areas like St-Jean-Baptiste were ritzier when first developed.

St-Jean-Baptiste is as you say more impressive and harder to find an analogue to in the Maritimes, not as far as density goes but in terms of consistent heritage preservation and quality.

It's been a few years since I've been to Quebec City; I may head back this summer. It's interesting to contrast it with Halifax from an urban planning perspective, because parts of both cities started in a similar place but heritage preservation has been much stronger in Quebec City. Halifax is just now getting enough nice new buildings that some areas are more vibrant and impressive than they would have been had they been preserved in 1950. Then again, that's a bit of a false trade-off because parts of the city could have been preserved while others could have been opened up even more to development. There are also parts of Quebec City that are just nicer because the province seems to invest (proportionally much) more money into having nicer legislature grounds, etc.

Quebec City's also not a perfectly-preserved place. It feels a bit like there were some planning mishaps in the 1960's and 70's before people decided to pull the plug on large-scale development in the old core. There's a highway interchange that caused some damage and there are some office towers. The relative scale of those redevelopments was smaller though.
Also need to remember the amount of historic housing and businesses that were destroyed in 1917 due to the Halifax Explosion.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 10:20 PM

stumbled upon this pic of Regina, it'd be nice to see something break the table-top skyline that's forming!

source

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 5:48 AM

^^^^ Our skyline looks not too bad; however, it would be nice to add a few more buildings to take our skyline up to the next "step." ^^^^

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:14 AM

It's funny the names we give our cities.

There seem to be dozens of cities known as the Pearl of the Orient - meaningless, really.

One of Hamilton's nicknames is the Ambitious City - meant to be derisive rather than complimentary.

Where does Paris of the Prairies come from then?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:05 PM

Recently, I lived in Saskatoon for over 3 years. It is no "Paris of the Prairies." Saskatoon isn't bad though; it, like many other places, is sometimes best viewed from a distance.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Nice

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:29 AM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Every time I see those hydro pylons I want to scream...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:32 AM
ARTchitecture

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada