HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Twice the size and three of the teams are hockey.
I think there is some truth to the idea that CMA population numbers alone don't tell the full story.

The two cities seem to have pretty similar regional level amenities. For example they both have full-sized IKEAs and they both have similarly busy airports. For the most part I think if a regional-level attraction is viable in Winnipeg, it's reasonable to think it could work in Halifax.

The settlement pattern in NS is very different than in Manitoba. NS has a lot more scattered towns and exurbs and the CMA statistics don't capture this very well. West Hants for example is something like 45%+ commuters. Meanwhile the eastern part of HRM is included because it's in one big census division but it isn't really part of the metro area. The boundaries only approximately represent the true metro area and the population total doesn't fully capture the market size of the area.

The "real" Halifax metro or economic region is something like a circle extending out to about Windsor, Shubenacadie, Musquodoboit Harbour, and Chester. I'd guess this area has something like 550,000 people in it, and is not much larger than the current HRM. There's an extended area that encompasses the clusters of towns around Lunenburg/Bridgewater, Truro, and Kentville. This is what I'd consider "Central Nova Scotia". This isn't so much a commutershed but people in this area can easily get to Halifax for special events like a sports game, shopping, or appointments.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment