HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 1:12 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
The Columbarium Bones, Part I: The Village of Croesus

Video Link

XIII: Death

Explanation of the title: Welcome to my annual Halloween-time thread. Last year, some of you may recall that I took everyone on a tour of the haunted places of Asheville, fifth most haunted city in the country by some accounts.

In addition to being haunted, Asheville is said to be cursed. If the city wants you here, here you will be. If you visit and the city decides it does not want you here, you will not stay. Try to leave when you're wanted, or try to stay when you're not, and you'll be sorry. That's how the curse supposedly works.

I'm wanted, obviously. Hell, once a couple of years ago, I had something that wasn't there following me down the street imploring me to come home. However, what must it be like to come here and not be wanted? To find that there is everything to love about the place, but to find also that it does not love you back. To find, in fact, that it hates you and wants you dead. I figure Asheville might look like this to such a person. Everything beautiful is poisoned, and all you can see instead are the places where the homeless camp -- where, if you literally look up, you can see the gates of Biltmore Estate.

Hence, this photothread, and another. Due to various health problems, I wasn't able to cover as much ground this year as I'd wanted. I might still be able to get something else in though. We'll just have to see. As it is, welcome to the Biltmore Village Historic District, located just outside the gates of Biltmore Estate, once the home of George Vanderbilt -- one of the wealthiest men in the world -- and still the largest house in the United States. Vanderbilt oversaw the construction of this model village, which spreads out from the Cathedral of All Souls. He's the Croesus of the title.

And the columbarium? A columbarium is a repository for cinerary urns, which hold the ashes of the cremated. Ashes. Asheville.

I'm terribly clever. Hope you've enjoyed this warped look at my city.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 2:53 AM
no its not...

very artistic shots

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 4:20 AM

Artsy, gritty, creepy, sad, color moving - great thread. The only thing missing is the black cat guiding us like you had last year!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:34 PM
A gruff individual.

I know it's been a week, but thank you both very much for looking and commenting.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 3:54 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

interesting. very much.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Alright!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:00 AM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for having a look.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:12 PM
Red October standing by

awesome. i'm mad i missed this the first time around.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:23 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
awesome. i'm mad i missed this the first time around.

-
Well, thanks for looking now. I don't know how Asheville threads ended up in the City Photos N-Z collection when they split the photos section up, though...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:05 PM

They probably filed it under 'weird'.

Great shots though, and cool editing!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos