HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 5:47 AM

^I think that may happen, but in order for the Playfair and surrounding area to be redeveloped, light rail will need to be constructed through there. I don't think that the U-district alone will benefit that area in the short term (next 5-10 years).

As for replacing Albi, I would have liked to see them either use the playfair site or construct an open air stadium on the Washington/Idaho border along I-90. That is the only way I think this region could support and fund a 50K seat stadium. Albi is poorly located and a traffic nightmare when there are big events taking place.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 6:36 AM
A before E

that is true, albi is in a very poor location.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 11:25 PM
Hub for an Empire

I noticed that on the Prium Companies and Emporis websites the Wall Street Condos are re-named to "One Fifty-Three Wall Street". Just noticed it yesterday.

Last edited by Hub for an Empire; Oct 16, 2006 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 6:27 PM

It seems that one of the critical projects for the success of the u-district/east Sprague is the proposed pedestrian bridge spanning the rail lines at Sherman St. and Sprague. Currently if you live south of the rail line you have to go either to Division or Hamilton to get to the Riverpoint Campus (which almost neccessitates auto usage) . With the pedestrian bridge more people will be encouraged to live in the East Sprague area as well in South Perry.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 6:11 AM

^ I agree with you sg2, but as it stands now, the pedestrian bridge is one of the last things that will be constructed in the U-district. They will probably need federal funding to complete that project and it will be pricey. I think once light rail is established it will run through a portion of the lower east sprague district and that will benefit the area more than anything. There is still alot of land and projects that are taking place north of the railroad tracks in the immediate area of the U-district that will take about 5-10 years to fill in, then after that we will see overflow into the area south of the tracks. IMO.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 8:25 AM

Crimson said........"After so many years of watching Spokane get left behind its other NW "brethren" I'm happy there are folks like the Worthys, the Barbieris, Marshall Chesrown, Rob Brewster and others who are willing to take chances and risks in an effort to not only make money but also grow and improve Spokane" .

I agree that Spkane has been left behind Crimson. But what exactly have these leaders of the resurgence built? Tell me...one by one...I can't remember a "hallmark high end" property any of them have completed.

I'm all ears. I have faith someone has built a fine property. Which of them or have any of them? ANd don't take it the wrong way. I'm curious though. Is there a list somewhere? Dazzee

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 8:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzeetrader
Crimson said........"After so many years of watching Spokane get left behind its other NW "brethren" I'm happy there are folks like the Worthys, the Barbieris, Marshall Chesrown, Rob Brewster and others who are willing to take chances and risks in an effort to not only make money but also grow and improve Spokane" .

I agree that Spkane has been left behind Crimson. But what exactly have these leaders of the resurgence built? Tell me...one by one...I can't remember a "hallmark high end" property any of them have completed.

I'm all ears. I have faith someone has built a fine property. Which of them or have any of them? ANd don't take it the wrong way. I'm curious though. Is there a list somewhere? Dazzee
Actually there are quite alot. Brownes Addition wouldnt be the way it is if it wasn't for people like Wells. The Davenport has helped turn around the west end of downtown, now there are several new places and another small hotel that has opened up. Kendall Yards is going to be the biggest change in Spokane history for the city.

Now from the way you sound you are hoping to shoot down all these points, but to get to where Spokane is going, the city needs these things to happen in small doses first. It is impossible to get banks to lend you money if they feel a development is a risk. These developments in Spokane were seen as risks a few years ago because they hadn't been done in Spokane yet. Now banks see them as less of a risk because there is proof that they work. So yeah, these developers are doing good things for imporving on Spokane and the best is yet to come.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 5:27 AM

Urban! Even Wendell Reugh? lol...Just kidding. I did wonder though....since i Haven't seen the great works of those mentioned deveopers...which ones are the really good ones.
Not being critical of any devoper.....they have guts..but here's what I think: if you're going to build a building.not just a box...let's spend some money like Hagadone does...and put something nice in SPokane. Thus far, I haven't seen any developed by the listed companies. Dave and Julie have done a few cute projects...I agree. But where are those "others" mentioned.

My view is this: until some group really makes it his/hers/their purpose, we won't get a really great project. It's a good business idea to get the HUD types going and to get some project largely funded by grants and taxpayer money. But ..but ..but.until someone loves this town enough and has enough pride in the work, Sookane simply won't measure up to cities who make it their business to have said projects.

Unless and until these developers quit treating Spokane like their private lil cash machines, nothing too great will happen. And that's why..pages ago....I wondered how could anyone love a tall building with AC boxes beneath the windows and cut into the walls. Just big boxes....an uncommon dearth of windows....and all the rest. When I'm in Spokane, I wonder who the hell let these guys loose on such a jewel of a city.

In the old days, people would build grand buildings with style and be "one for the ages". How did this change? Who changed it? What's the future for recovery? Moot points? I sure hope not. Look, I love SPokane for what it was and for what it might be in the future. A 4 season gorgeous town.
I have hpe for the place but this past weekend when I drove around, it just made me sad. Dazzee

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 5:41 AM

Sheesh............Its not that bad!!! I would like to see more quality projects in Spokane as well, but at the same time I am happy to see some big projects happening at all. After all, it has been 20 years since we have seen significant change to the downtown skyline. I do not like the look of the davenport tower, but I am happy to see a contribution to urban density and a surface parking lot has been removed from downtown and I know the davenport tower is better than a surface parking lot!

Plus if you want to complain about lack of quality projects, you are forgeting about Kendall Yards. NOW........How many cities, especially the size of Spokane, can say that they have or are going to have an 70+acre urban village in their downtown.

I think in Spokane we focus to much on what is happening in Portland and Seattle and wonder why that is not happening here. We'll....the post would be to long to explain the difference, but most of us know why.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 7:40 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ EXACTLY Revrw!! I'm so tired of people comparing Spokane to Seattle and Portland! Hello...we are a medium sized city! On top of that, there are other cities in the world! Spokane needs to form bonds with other cities outside of the Northwest, since the other cities in the Northwest have their interest in their own advancement.

I'm satisfied with the developments in Spokane over the last several years. Compare Spokane of 1998 to Spokane of 2006! All of these smaller projects should lead to bigger projects in the future! In my opinion, the Convention Center expansion is an impressive project even for a large city!

True some of the projects aren't impressive, but hopefully it will lead to advancement for the Spokane economy! It's nice to see the city in a growth mode again!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 8:59 PM
A before E

personally my comparison to Portland and Spokane is in reference to the Pearl. It wasn't that long ago that it was nothing but rotting warehouses and surface lots.

In a matter of less than 10 years, the Pearl has become the biggest trend in Portland that has taken on a status for the city or what people think Portland is.

2016, think of what Spokane will be. That isn't that far off really.

The point that I am getting at with some of these smaller developers who do care about the city, is that they are taking big risks on small project and turning a profit. This will help them build a capital to take on larger projects in the future. By 2016, these same developers could be making a much larger impact on the city with much better architecture.

As for gems of the city and quality architecture, just look at Ron Wells portfolio of work. He has done a great job renovating old buildings in the city.

People like Ruegh is what is Spokane's problem. There are still too many land owners in the city with his mindset. Hold onto your parking lot till it is worth tens of millions, then try to sell it. Which translates, this will sit vacant till I die and my children are smarter than me and unload the property.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 9:39 PM

I agree with your comparison Urban. I know that you are not comparing as much as you are just recommending a model for Spokane to follow.

I personally don't mind when people say things like, "we should model Portland's city planning codes, or we should look into constructing mass transit like Portland. I think those are great models and plans to follow, but I hate when people say, "why doesn't Spokane have this or that like Portland or Seattle". People from Spokane or people who know about Spokane realize that Spokane is just a medium-size city. We are not even on the same playing field as Portland or Seattle. We don't compete for the same companies or events as those cities do. Generally speaking!!! Every now and then, but not on a regular basis.

As for the abundance of surface parking lots downtown, that will only change as more people live downtown and the current vacancies are swallowed up. Spokane stil has a relatively high office vacancy rate downtown. Bellevue is a great example of the removal of the surface parking lots they had downtown to fill a need for office and residence space.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
Hub for an Empire

Urban, I was not referring to your references about Portland with Spokane, when I made my statement. I do think, in general, people in Spokane usually compares Spokane to mostly Seattle. True, we aren't in the same league, in size especially. I do think Spokane has a lot going for it and is under-appreciated by most people here. My main concern is the negativity, over the years from the Spokane Citizens, since it just fosters more lack of activity , economically here.

There is growth going on here, but lets appreciate those small advances and hope they lead to bigger ones for Spokane in the future!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 7:21 AM

^ I really appreciate the optimism you express. Appreciating the small advances that change a city you care about is dear to me as well.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 8:53 PM
A before E

actually my optimism comes from my home town, or the town next to my hometown. Norfolk, VA had it much worse than Spokane at one time, then a hand full of little chances were made in the city and one thing led to another and now they are steamrolling through bigger projects. Granted they still have along way to go, but there is true signs of improvements going on and I think that Spokane will soon have the same chances because of these small developers.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 2:50 AM
Cascadia Rising

RiverView Tower

Parkwood Business Properties on schedule with commercial condos

COEUR d'ALENE -- A year and a half after it was announced, RiverView Tower is finally under construction.

Parkwood Business Properties' 57,000-square-foot, five-story brick and glass office complex on a three-acre parcel on Northwest Boulevard includes one floor of parking and four floors of office space. The top floor was originally planned for residential use, but that has been changed.

"Our business is commercial," said Ryan Nipp, partner with his father Charlie Nipp and Steve Meyer in Parkwood Business Properties. "We thought we better stick with what we know."

The building is designed for easy access from all four sides, and entry to the site will be off Ironwood Drive, Lakewood Drive and Northwest Boulevard.

Nipp said the project, originally planned for completion by the middle of this year, is now on schedule, though he was unsure when the tower will be finished.

He said Parkwood is working with agent Jim Koon to decide on lease rates and prices for commercial condominiums.

RiverView Tower will offer suites beginning at 700 square feet. A 650-square-foot conference room will be in the ground level and available for use by all tenants. All glass, it will also offer a panoramic view of the lake and river.

"The views are very good," Nipp said.

Contractors Northwest Inc., of Coeur d'Alene is the contractor for the building.

Parkwood Business Properties owns several office and retail buildings in Kootenai County, including the Prairie Shopping Center, Interlake Medical Building, Best Buy and other retail space on U.S. 95.

POST YOUR OPINION View all of the latest commented stories!

Name:
Comments:
Image Verification:

* All comment posts will encounter a possible delay of up to 24 hours.

AUTHOR COMMENT
open minded
Comment made: October 20, 2006 10:03 AM
Very attractive structure. Obviously being built with higher end materials and design. Need much more of these!

S
Comment made: October 20, 2006 9:58 AM
What good is a view of the river if you cant access it? Every inch of it between the NIC beach and PF park is private property. There are so many lakes and rivers in N.Idaho, but unless you have a boat your enjoyment of these places are very limited.

C.A.Johnson
Comment made: October 20, 2006 9:21 AM
Considering the size and placement of this ugly monster, you should use the complete name " THE RIVER VIEW BLOCKING TOWERS" ! I would rather see the old Rutlidge Mill....

Email this story Printer friendly version

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 7:25 AM
A before E

not sure that really should be called a tower, but whatever.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Looks like a nice building!

Inland, any news about the Post Falls Outlet Mall?. I heard several months ago that there was going to be changes, but I went over two weeks ago and it still looked the same, and there were several vacancies?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:10 PM
Cascadia Rising

^^
yeah Urban I agree.... definitely not a tower but a nice building either way.
^
Hub, - I saw an article in the press about how much the outlets were struggling, even under new ownership. I heard they're going to try to consolidate the retail stores to the building nearest I-90, and the other building will house home-improvement type businesses or something like that.
It's kind of a shame, but oh well! I did hear that Post Falls' new city planner is very concerned with the aesthetics of the city- he wants to make it more attractive from the freeway and encourage more dense development versus prairie sprawl, which could be good.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 5:23 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ That is good! They still have a few nice stores over there.....Bass Shoe Outlet, etc....... They should have concentrated on the sprawl issue a decade or so ago, so it is good they are looking at aesthetics now!

Liberty Lake sure has had a lot of developments there over the last year also!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West