HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Okay I have spent wayyy too much time lately trying to update this damn list. I think after hours of research and restructuring I finally got everything up-to-date but its been an uphill battle trying to stay on top of all the new projects and update the under construction ones.

If someone can go back through a double check the list with their knowledge I beg you to do so.

Oh and if anybody wants to take up updating the maps I will gladly buy you a two-four of your favourite beer!
Good job. Looks about right. There's definitely too much going on in Bedford and Larry Uteck to keep up with it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
we built this city

The Craigmore drive development could be moved to U/C, excavation.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
we built this city

Citadel Hotel and Craigmore should be moved to U/C.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Demolition is starting, but are the new Citadel towers approved yet?

There are different standards for "under construction". One standard is site prep, and another is actual foundation work. When I update the thread titles I tend to look at a minimum of approval + site prep, mostly because lots of stuff can go wrong with the approval process.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:00 PM

I'm fairly certain that all the approvals are in order for the Citadel.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:57 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Demolition is starting, but are the new Citadel towers approved yet?

There are different standards for "under construction". One standard is site prep, and another is actual foundation work. When I update the thread titles I tend to look at a minimum of approval + site prep, mostly because lots of stuff can go wrong with the approval process.
Yes, this was approved a couple of months ago through the HRM_by_Design process - http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-redevelopment

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:35 PM
we built this city

And because its a hotel and the financing is secured... demolition is the first step toward construction.

Sooo happy this one made it under the radar. Pretty funny consider how much the Drum condos has gone through iterations.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:30 PM
You talkin' to me?

Im willing to bet a lot of the people who would have protested this probably have no idea its even happening. I can't wait to see their reaction when a crane or 2 pops up so close to citadel hill. These are in such a high location in the downtown that they'll probably look massive from the waterfront/bridge.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One big advantage of the Citadel development is that it's not close to any houses. Drum and its predecessor had complaints coming from residents around Falkland/Maynard, but then again it's not clear how those affected the development process. As far as I know all of the problems with the Drum site have been related to red tape (zoning and HbD requirements).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:55 AM
Honored Member

According to a story in the allnovascotia.com on March 26th, 2012 (Cunard Block Call Expected Soon, by Andrew MacDonald), the Waterfront Development Corp expects to issue a proposal call for a $75 million dollar rsidential tower on Lower Water Street in May or June of this year. Michael Napier is doing initial design work along with Ekistics for a 20 storey apartment building which could go ahead in 2013. Here is a link for the building location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...1,40.3,,0,4.91 (between Bishop's Landing and the newly renovated NSPI headquarters). The story states that the tower would go to the allowable height under HRM_by_Design bylaws.

I am not sure how a 20 storey tower could be built at this site without a special agreement since it appears to me that the HRM_by_Design height map only permits 39 meters pre-bonus height (about 12 storeys) and 49 meters post-bonus height (15 - 16 storeys). However, I don't see any reason for it not to go this high since it will be hidden behind the Maritime Centre when viewed from the Citadel.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was wondering about that too, but maybe there is some reason why they can go higher.

In any case it will be an important project since the NSP office and other parts of the southern waterfront have come so far along over the past few years. It's important for that stretch to be tied in with Bishop's Landing and, eventually, the northern part of the waterfront. Right now the waterfront still has a disjointed "buildings in parking lots" feel. The Alexander, if built, should also help substantially.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to a story in the allnovascotia.com on March 26th, 2012 (Cunard Block Call Expected Soon, by Andrew MacDonald), the Waterfront Development Corp expects to issue a proposal call for a $75 million dollar rsidential tower on Lower Water Street in May or June of this year. Michael Napier is doing initial design work along with Ekistics for a 20 storey apartment building ... I am not sure how a 20 storey tower could be built at this site without a special agreement since it appears to me that the HRM_by_Design height map only permits 39 meters pre-bonus height...
I think your interpretation of the maximum allowable heights is correct, so this is likely sloppy reporting. Anyone write and ask AllNS if, in the course of their reporting, they compared the 20-storey height with HRMbyDesign rules?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Im willing to bet a lot of the people who would have protested this probably have no idea its even happening. I can't wait to see their reaction when a crane or 2 pops up so close to citadel hill. These are in such a high location in the downtown that they'll probably look massive from the waterfront/bridge.
I doubt they missed it. They'll protest pretty much anything. Maybe they meant it all those times they argued that anything over 3 stories downtown should be at Cogswell?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 4:21 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
This thread is mainly a list of all proposals (approved/proposed/under construction/recently completed) within HRM. If I forgot any or if any new ones appear please p.m. me or post it here and I'll add it to the list.

MAPS:
Original Google Map with Projects and Districts shown
Developments - HRM by Design
Developments - Halifax
Developments - Dartmouth
Developments - Suburbs

All Information As Of: July 7th, 2012
Number of Projects With Cranes: 20 (17 listed, 3 unlisted)*
Total Number of Cranes: 20

Com - Complete
DA - Development Agreement
Dem - Demolition
PH - Public Hearing
PIM - Public Information Meeting
UC - Under Construction
full posting - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=154160
Good work Dmajackson. Thanks for all of your work on the compilation thread; I use it regularly to look up development proposals.

I see that you changed the format. One thing that I couldn't find quickly was the colour legend, which I was able to find on your posted maps. I think the legend is:

Red = Proposed
Yellow = Approved
Green = Under Construction
Blue = Recently Completed
Purple = Recently Abandoned

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
All Information As Of: July 7th, 2012
Number of Projects With Cranes: 21 (17 listed, 4 unlisted)*
Total Number of Cranes: 21

RED (Red) - Proposed/Planned
ORANGE (Orange) - Approved/In Sales/Site Prep/Recently Approved
GREEN (Green) - Under Construction (Construction Permit to First Occupancy)
BLUE (Blue) - Recently Completed (Stays in this category for six months following completion of construction)
PURPLE (Purple) - Rejected/Abandoned/Outdated/Expired (Stays in this category for six months following announcement date)

Com - Complete
DA - Development Agreement
Dem - Demolition
PH - Public Hearing
PIM - Public Information Meeting
UC - Under Construction

- With a known height: Height (m) -> Name ; Without a known height: Floors -> Name
- Blank spaces (_) and asterisks (*) indicate not applicable or unknown
- Asterisks (*) are also used as place holders (to keep projects lined up) and as construction crane markers (if at the end of the entry)

PENINSULAR HALIFAX:
# | HEIGHT (M) | FLOORS | HRM CASE # | PROJECT NAME (CIVIC ADDRESS) | STATUS | MORE INFORMATION
01. | 150m | 48 floors | 17446 | Skye Halifax I (____ Hollis Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
01. | 150m | 48 floors | 17446 | Skye Halifax II (____ Hollis Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
03. | ***m | 33 floors | 15937 | Fenwick Place Expansion @ Recladding (____ Fenwick Street) | Approved | Unknown
04. | ***m | 24 floors | 15937 | Fenwick Place Redevelopment I (____ Fenwick Street) | Approved | Unknown
05. | *80m | 23 floors | ***** | TD Tower Expansion (____ Barrington Street) | Approved | Unknown
06. | ***m | 22 floors | ***** | International Place (____ Barrington Street) | Approved | Unknown
07. | ***m | 20 floors | ***** | Dalhousie University I (____ Unknown Street) | Proposed | Com - 2020
07. | ***m | 20 floors | ***** | Dalhousie University II (____ Unknown Street) | Proposed | Com - 2020
09. | *74m | 16 floors | 01172 | Roy Building Redevelopment (15__ Barrington Street) | Approved | Unknown
10. | *62m | 19 floors | 17456 | 3065 Robie Street (3065 Robie Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
11. | *55m | 19 floors | 00971 | Alexander, The (____ Hollis Street) | Approved | Unknown
12. | ***m | 18 floors | ***** | Nova Centre I (____ Grafton Street) | Approved | Unknown
13. | *50m | 15 floors | 01231 | Zellers Building Redevelopment (1595 Barrington Street) | Approved | Unknown
14. | *49m | 17 floors | ***** | YMCA/CBC Redevelopment I (____ South Park Street) | Proposed | Design Review
15. | ***m | 17 floors | 17256 | Young Street Tower I (6100 Young Street) | Proposed | DA Initiated
15. | ***m | 17 floors | 17256 | Young Street Tower II (6100 Young Street) | Proposed | DA Initiated
17. | ***m | 15 floors | 17179 | Citadel Hotel Apartment (____ Brunswick Street) | Approved | Demolition/Crane Installation
17. | ***m | 15 floors | 17179 | Citadel Hotel I (____ Brunswick Street) | Proposed | Demolition/Crane Installation
17. | ***m | 15 floors | 17179 | Citadel Hotel II (____ Brunswick Street) | Proposed | Demolition/Crane Installation
20. | ***m | 14 floors | ***** | Nova Centre II (____ Grafton Street) | Approved | Unknown
20. | ***m | 14 floors | ***** | Robie Street, 2859 (2859 Robie Street) | Proposed | Site Remediation
22. | ***m | 13 floors | ***** | YMCA/CBC Redevelopment II (____ South Park Street) | Proposed | Design Review
23. | ***m | 12 floors | ***** | Agricola Street NSLC Redevelopment (____ Agricola Street) | Abandoned | April 1st, 2012
23. | ***m | 12 floors | ***** | Saint Lawrence Place Apartments (3473 Dutch Village Road) | Under Construction | Excavation*
25. | ***m | 10 floors | ***** | Barrington@Devonshire (3090 Barrington Street) | Proposed | Unknown
26. | ***m | 10 floors | ***** | Gottingen Street Tower I (____ Gottingen Street) | Proposed | Unknown
26. | ***m | 10 floors | ***** | Gottingen Street Tower II (____ Gottingen Street) | Proposed | Unknown
28. | *27m | *9 floors | 01325 | St. Joseph's Square (____ Gottingen Street) | Approved | Unknown
29. | ***m | *9 floors | 15937 | Fenwick Place Redevelopment II (____ Fenwick Street) | Approved | Unknown
29. | ***m | *9 floors | ***** | Margaretta, The (____ Clyde Street) | Proposed | UC - Summer 2012
29. | ***m | *9 floors | ***** | Mary-Ann, The (____ Clyde Street) | Proposed | UC - Summer 2012
29. | ***m | *9 floors | ***** | RBC Waterside Centre (1860 Upper Water Street) | Under Construction | Frame*
33. | ***m | *8 floors | 17195 | Quinpool & Vernon (____ Quinpool Road) | Proposed | DA Initiated
34. | ***m | *8 floors | 15937 | Fenwick Place Redevelopment III (____ Fenwick Street) | Approved | Unknown
34. | ***m | *8 floors | ***** | Shannex @ The Gardens (____ Martello Street) | Under Construction | Exterior
36. | *25m | *7 floors | ***** | City Centre Atlantic (____ Spring Garden Road) | Under Construction | Exterior, Com - 12/12
37. | *23m | *7 floors | 16417 | Spirit Place (____ Windsor Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
38. | *23m | *6 floors | ***** | Grainery, The (927 South Bland Street) | Under Construction | Exterior
39. | *22m | *8 floors | ***** | Gladstone Ridge North (2753 Gladstone Street) | Under Construction | Exterior
40. | ***m | *7 floors | ***** | Isleville @ Almon (____ Isleville Street) | Proposed | Unknown
40. | ***m | *7 floors | 17511 | Isleville @ Bilby (5558 Bilby Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
40. | ***m | *7 floors | 17156 | LeMarchant Residences (____ LeMarchant Street) | Proposed | Demolition
43. | *22m | *6 floors | 16655 | CD Plus Redevelopment (1592 Barrington Street) | Approved | Unknown
44. | *17m | *4 floors | ***** | Spring Garden Road, 5495 (5495 Spring Garden Road) | Recently Completed | January 2012
44. | *17m | *6 floors | 17108 | Windsor @ Connolly (36__ Windsor Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Dalhousie University III (____ Unknown Street) | Proposed | Com - 2020
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Dalhousie University IV (____ Unknown Street)| Proposed | Com - 2020
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Drum Condominiums (____ Cogswell Street) | Proposed | Unknown
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Halifax Central Library (____ Spring Garden Road) | Under Construction | Frame - 1*
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | NFB Lofts Redevelopment (____ Barrington Street) | Proposed | Unknown
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Nova Scotia Power Headquarters (1223 Lower Water Street) | Recently Completed | Com - January 2012
46. | ***m | *6 floors | ***** | Q Lofts, The (5666 Roberts Street) | Under Construction | Excavation
53. | *15m | *5 floors | 17829 | Bayers @ Oxford (3090 Oxford Street) | Proposed | DA Initiation
54. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | Barrington Espace (____ Barrington Street) | Under Construction | Exterior
54. | ***m | *5 floors | 17397 | "The Bay" Expansion (7067 Chebucto Road) | Proposed | DA Initiated
54. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | IPHCE Building @ Dalhousie (____ Unknown Street) | Approved | Unknown
54. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | Northbridge, The (3150 Barrington Street) | Recently Completed | Com - February 2012
54. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | Saint Lawrence Place Office (3473 Dutch Village Road) | Under Construction | Frame
59. | *14m | *4 floors | 00870 | Charles Street, 5784 (5784 Charles Street) | Expired | February 1st, 2012
60. | *11m | *4 floors | ***** | Gottingen Terrace (____ Gottingen Street) | Approved | Unknown
61. | ***m | *4 floors | ***** | Dalhousie LSC Expansion (____ Oxford Street) | Under Construction | Exterior, Com - 13/01
61. | ***m | *4 floors | ***** | Gottingen @ Cunard (____ Gottingen Street) | Recently Completed | Com - June 2012

URBAN DARTMOUTH:
# | HEIGHT (M) | FLOORS | HRM CASE # | PROJECT NAME (CIVIC ADDRESS) | STATUS | MORE INFORMATION
01. | 100m | 32 floors | ***** | King's Wharf I - Signature Tower (? Kings Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
02. | ***m | 27 floors | 17143 | Horizon Court III (? Horizon Court) | Approved | Recently Approved
03. | ***m | 18 floors | ***** | King's Wharf G (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
03. | ***m | 18 floors | 17849 | Seagate - The Wentworth (? Irishtown Road) | Proposed | DA Underway
05. | ***m | 17 floors | ***** | King's Wharf F (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
06. | *45m | 15 floors | 16898 | The Prince Albert (307 Prince Albert Road) | Rejected | January 16th, 2012
07. | ***m | 14 floors | ***** | King's Wharf E (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
07. | ***m | 14 floors | 17849 | Seagate - The Fairbanks (46 Irishtown Road) | Proposed | DA Underway
09. | *40m | 13 floors | ***** | King's Wharf D - The Blue C (? King's Wharf Place) | Approved | Website
10. | *40m | 12 floors | ***** | King's Wharf A - The Anchorage (? King's Wharf Place) | Under Construction | Exterior
10. | *40m | 12 floors | ***** | King's Wharf B - The Keelson (? King's Wharf Place) | Under Construction | Exterior
10. | *40m | 12 floors | ***** | King's Wharf C - The Aqua Vista (? King's Wharf Place) | Approved | UC - Summer 2012, Com - Fall 2014
13. | *35m | 12 floors | 01230 | 249 Windmill Road (249 Windmill Road) | Proposed | Unknown
14. | ***m | *8 floors | ***** | King's Wharf H (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
15. | *20m | *7 floors | ***** | Notting Village II (? Wyse Road) | Approved | Unknown
16. | ***m | *7 floors | 00728 | Dexel @ Horizon I (5 Horizon Court) | Approved | UC - Summer 2012
16. | ***m | *7 floors | 00728 | Dexel @ Horizon II (5 Horizon Court) | Approved | UC - Summer 2012
16. | ***m | *7 floors | ***** | Lotuspoint (? Ochterloney Street) | Proposed | UC - Fall 2012
16. | ***m | *7 floors | 17849 | Seagate - The Wallace (150 Ochterloney Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
20. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | King's Wharf J (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
20. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | King's Wharf K (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
20. | ***m | *5 floors | ***** | King's Wharf L (? King's Wharf Place) | Proposed | Website
23. | *15m | *4 floors | ***** | Notting Village III (? Wyse Road) | Approved | Unknown
23. | *15m | *4 floors | 17762 | Primrose Street, 72 (72 Primrose Street) | Proposed | DA Underway
25. | ***m | *4 floors | 16687 | Portland Street, 222 (222 Portland Street) | Under Construction | Frame*
25. | ***m | *4 floors | ***** | Quinn, The (? Viridian Drive) | Approved | In Sales
HAPPY FOURTH BIRTHDAY HALIFAX COMPILATION LIST!!!

In preperation of this event I have reformatted the list be a bit more interesting and quick to read.

Some new features are the colour coding system (see legend at top), ranking of height on a community basis (Peninsula, Mainland, ect), links to HRM Planning website (Case # underlined if available), and links to the project's website (last column underlined if available).

I have quoted only the "core" area projects to save space. Please see the first post in this thread for a listing of all of the projects.

Crane listings are based on as accurate information as I can get (personal visits to sites). However cranes are moving almost weekly in Halifax now so some may be recorded inaccurately.

I of course welcome any feedback on these changes and any possible errors or omissions.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:44 PM
Honored Member

Very few people know HRM better than you Dmajackson. You should seriously consider running as a Councillor. (and eventually the Mayor)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Very few people know HRM better than you Dmajackson. You should seriously consider running as a Councillor. (and eventually the Mayor)
Thanks for the comments, Fenwick.

Its good to see some interest in the list coming from Halifax. Apparently posting anything that shows Halifax as a strong, booming city is shunned upon in the national section (Canadian Proposals thread to be exact).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 5:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Its good to see some interest in the list coming from Halifax. Apparently posting anything that shows Halifax as a strong, booming city is shunned upon in the national section (Canadian Proposals thread to be exact).
There are some forumers who are great and take an interest in many different places, but some others are incredibly parochial and either dismiss information about other places or find a way to turn it into hometown boasting. It was actually much worse when I first joined (2001) for Halifax in particular because it had a kind of "welfare fishing village" reputation that has since mostly evaporated.

For the compilation thread though I will say that it's pretty technical and all text -- it doesn't mean much to people who know very little about Halifax, and a lot of people don't read text at all (ever notice on the forum how you'll get 8 people in a row saying the same thing in different posts?). People respond better to pictures.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 2:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, Fenwick.

It's good to see you posting again Bedford, you took a little hiatus there for a few months. It's good to see you back!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 2:47 AM

Indeed, it's great to have you back!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth