HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 7:43 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
300 East Pratt is an empty lot now.
Yeah.... I must have missed it last time I drove by, but it's almost directly across from WTC and Cheesecake... right? .... that is the best spot in the harbor... a tall building needs to go there.. because wehre they built the building with BEst Buy and all is so short .... kind of a waste of a building there for how short it is.. ya know?

Excellent about the Four Seasons..... all of the hotels and the building of residential (condos) will help bring big business to our town. The hotels give places for all of the businesses working from their headquarters and other areas places to stay... and the condos bring more people hanging around in the city at night making it more lively... thus the combination makes our city look good and more populated and will be more attractive to business..... so as all of our highrises they are building now are mostly residential or hotels...... more skyscrapers can be built as office space in the future by large and advancing businesses

Last edited by Ktulured55; Jul 25, 2006 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 12:45 PM

Hey, just wanted to come over here and let you know that the team building 300 E Pratt just bought the land and they are saying construction will begin in 10-12 months. It would be pretty amazing if this started that quickly and it appears as though it will be built before 10IH and the Naing towers.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 2:11 PM
Sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
10IH WILL be more than 59 stories. I can feel it.

And Thanks for your info!

Steven, should we refer to the 50+ story building being build on 300 E. Pratt to the 300 E. Pratt Building?
Also... 300 E Pratt is right down in front of the harbor right? Like where Best Buy is and accross the street from WTC and Cheesecake Factory? What is there now? I thought the mall is there where it looks like that address is on the map....

^^The last update that we received from Arc Wheelers group was that 10 IH was going to be more than 60 flrs.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:04 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'More22
^^The last update that we received from Arc Wheelers group was that 10 IH was going to be more than 60 flrs.
Yeah, it was supposed to be 717ft and 59 floors. Then we heard that they are going to put a lot more money into it thus making it a lot taller. There is a great chance it will be over 800 ft, maybe even close to 850. Say it ended up at 817 ft, 100 more feet... yes I can say they will make at least 1 more floor from that, hehe. This thing will most likely be minimum 65 floors, could even hit the 70s.

From what Bmore22 said..... 10-12 months... say it's 12 months.. and 300 E Pratt starts going up in say August 2007, 10IH will start in October 2007.... only 2 months apart.... they may both go up at the same time and together be the cities 2 new tallest buildings rising at the same time!!!! IN what other city is that happening? none. That is a cool thought. .... the 2 Naing towers are far away from happening.... if/when those get built, wil probably start at least 1 year (probably more) from 10IH ....

I just can't wait to see the new 10IH rendering sometime in September (could only be 5 weeks away!!!) ... Does anyone know when a design is being done for the 300 E Pratt st? we need to see a rendering of this as well

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:54 PM
Sky is the limit!

^An article was just posted on "Skyscrapercity". The group thats building the 50+ flr tower at 300 East Pratt Street just bought the property and they expect to start construction in the next 10-12 months! That means we could see renderings soon.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 7:10 PM
Baltimore

For now.... does anyone have any current construction pics on any projects? (Zenith, Hilton, Vue Harbor East, Water st., and now Four Seasons!!!) It's been a while.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 9:41 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Not yet. I'll check soon.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 4:53 PM
Baltimore

Is there any renderings of the Four Seasons? Because the way it is organized on Emporis, they have the number of floors, but no height and that is why (like with many other upcoming buildings) on emporis it is towards the end of the list and not ranked in amongst all other buildings given an actual height.

Like they have 300 E Pratt proposal on there now, but again since there is no actual design and 'height' yet, Emporis has it at the end of the list.

It's just since they are about to start construction on the Four Seasons, I figured they would have the design done which would inlude it's height and thus Emporis could put it in the appropriate place in the building list amongst all of the buildings that have a designated height.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 12:13 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Well, here's another skyscraper just proposed for Baltimore!

Developer reveals plans for Westport
50-acre project in an old industrial area to include 2,000 homes, hotel, skyscraper
By Lorraine Mirabella
sun reporter
Originally published August 12, 2006

A Baltimore developer who envisions creating a second downtown along the shores of the Middle Branch unveiled ambitious plans yesterday to transform a 50-acre industrial swath of Westport into a $1.4 billion community with 2,000 homes, shops, offices, a hotel, bicycle trails and a beach anchored by a 65-story skyscraper.

Developer Patrick Turner hopes to start next summer on a project that in six to seven years would reverse the blight in a once solidly blue-collar neighborhood. The tower would be the tallest building in the city, but would be among a wave of skyscrapers that have recently been proposed.

While development has boomed around much of the waterfront, from Locust Point to Canton, the Westport waterfront has been overlooked by developers, said Turner, president of Turner Development Group.

When he acquired his first parcel on the waterfront, the abandoned Carr-Lowrey glass factory in 2004, no other local developers showed interest in the gritty area with a fading industrial past and struggling neighborhood.

"It's been a lost city," he said. "There are people who live in this town who don't know where Westport is."

Colleen Van Skiver, owner of Colleen's Corner, a neighborhood tavern in Westport for 25 years, has watched the neighborhood become increasingly blighted over the past decade.

"The community has really dropped down," she said. "As far as this project, if that's what it is going to look like, it's probably going to perk the community up and give it a real shot in the arm, and that's what it needs."

Turner, who owns about 90 percent of the land he needs for the project, said he has necessary approvals from the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Army Corps of Engineers and city-approved rezoning allowing the mix of uses. He plans to ask the city to help finance roads and other infrastructure improvements with bonds that would be paid back from tax revenue generated by the project.

Beyond that, he has the government approvals he needs to move ahead; the future of the project depends on market forces.

"I think this is one of the great, exciting potentials for the city over the next decade, without question," said M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's economic development agency. "It takes advantage of a whole new section of waterfront, which was old industry, almost all of which is gone. Turner has aggressively bought up almost all of what he needs, so I think it's quite real."

Turner says he's convinced that the site, two miles south of the city's business district and its last large piece of developable waterfront, can become a dense, urban neighborhood attracting residents in a range of income levels.

"The thing we love about this neighborhood is that you have 295 here, you have I-95 on the north side, you've got the light rail with a stop dead center in the property," Turner said. "You've got the 14-mile Gwynns Falls Trail. You have a 27-acre park adjacent to the property. You can literally walk to downtown. The Middle Branch site is pristine in the sense of the waterways, vistas and views."

For Turner, who has recycled old structures for redevelopment for two decades, the Westport project represents his biggest challenge. Past projects have included apartments in and offices in the Holy Cross School, the McHenry Theater, 1211 Light Street and the Southway Bowling Center. He is transforming the former Archer Daniels Midland grain elevator and silos in Locust Point into high-rise luxury condominiums.

On Westport's waterfront, Turner has been laying groundwork for redevelopment for more than a year. He has acquired about 31 acres, including the shuttered glass factory and a former Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. power plant. He has started environmental cleanup, met with city planners, lined up financing and courted neighborhood groups.

But at a time when many proposed developments across the country are being halted as the housing market has weakened, Turner cautioned that the pace of development would be driven by demand in the housing market and from office and retail tenants.

Multiple builders would likely be involved, but Turner said he has not completed any deals. Turner's broker, CB Richard Ellis, will begin marketing the project to prospective multifamily builders, office and retail tenants, and hoteliers next month, Turner said. The developer will then begin drawing up detailed plans to be approved by the city, in hopes of starting infrastructure work next summer and completing the first buildings by early 2008.

The developer envisions housing for people with a mix of incomes, including teachers, firefighters and corporate executives. Ultimately, about 2,000 to 3,000 people could live on Westport's waterfront, he said.

Homebuyers and renters are increasingly seeking out such mixed-use developments, said Gerrit Knapp, executive director for the National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education, a land use research center based at the University of Maryland, College Park.

"This is the way the market is going around the country, particularly for residential," Knapp said. "Clearly there's a niche in urban cores for these types of projects, particularly among young people without children and among elderly. It's hip and trendy."

And when former, unused industrial sites get new life, he said, "the mixture of use ... creates additional residential capacity without putting more demand on the capacity of the road networks. Research shows these kinds of developments can help gentrify portions of a city."

Turner's plans have helped boost property values of nearby homes.

Turner met with about 75 residents and business owners Thursday evening to share his plans, and many were encouraged to see connections to the Westport neighborhood, rather than its being gated off, as some had feared. Residents were also happy to see public access to the waterfront and plans to filter the waters of the Middle Branch with "bioswales," rain basins and green roofs.

Van Skiver, vice president of the Westport Improvement Association, raised her children in a stable Westport but in recent years has watched the neighborhood become troubled by slum landlords, drugs and grime. She said she is looking forward to a boost in business at her tavern that she had lost when the glass factory went out of business.

Turner is hoping business comes back to the waterfront as well, and said he plans to market the site to defense contractors seeking a central, but urban location. He plans to invest $800 million in the project, which that would add 5 million square feet of development.

Turner's re-created waterfront would be centered on the light rail station. It would be "environmentally friendly," he said, with acres of new wetlands and waterfront meadows. And it would hope to appeal to urban dwellers and workers seeking nature-oriented perks such as a beach and kayak launch, gardens and bicycle and running paths that would connect to the Gwynns Falls Trail.

Turner plans to build a pedestrian bridge from the light rail station into one of his buildings, for access to the waterfront.

There, visitors would find a bicycle and running loop, a three-tiered system of re-created wetlands and a velodrome, a biking arena that could be used for sports or concerts. Turner plans to buy a former railroad trestle from CSX to continue the bike path across the water.

lorraine.mirabella@baltsun.com

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 6:24 PM

Quote:
For now.... does anyone have any current construction pics on any projects? (Zenith, Hilton, Vue Harbor East, Water st., and now Four Seasons!!!) It's been a while.
Here's a few that Wada posted on his site and over on SSC.

Props to Wada for the pics.

The Vue is topped off.........

414 Water Street continues to progress.....

The Zenith rising in the background....

Demoltion at Calvert and Baltimore Streets...

Cranes at the Ritz-Carlton site:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Is there any renderings of the Four Seasons?
Yes there are. Here are a few:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 6:41 PM
Me?!?

GREAT news for B-more! My g/f and I were this close to moving to Baltimore before the job offer came up in Philly. We both are enjoying our time in Philly but B-more is where our hearts are at.

Not to mention for what we pay for our apt. here in the Philly area we could be living in Fell's Point or some other place we enjoy oh so much. Compared to Philly, B-more is a HUGE bargain! But I know that is probably going to change in the very near future so enjoy it while you can...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 1:35 PM

$2000-2300/month for an apt. (very typical prices in neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point and Federal Hill) isnt a 'bargin' and I dont care if you're in Fells Point, Rittenhouse Square, Center City or Harbor East.

Plus, IIRC the average house in Baltimore costs more than the average house in Philly, the average income is comparable and you get taxed less in PA versus MD.

While you can still find a bargin, Baltimore isnt as cheap as it was several years ago. Sadly, I know this first hand. Im in the process of looking at 'starter homes' and everyone wants $650k+ for all the fun neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point, Butcher's Hill, Federal Hill, etc.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 2:08 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
$2000-2300/month for an apt. (very typical prices in neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point and Federal Hill) isnt a 'bargin' and I dont care if you're in Fells Point, Rittenhouse Square, Center City or Harbor East.
I agree, but we found some pretty decent places for WAY less than $2000-2300/month.

Quote:
Plus, IIRC the average house in Baltimore costs more than the average house in Philly, the average income is comparable and you get taxed less in PA versus MD.

While you can still find a bargin, Baltimore isnt as cheap as it was several years ago. Sadly, I know this first hand. Im in the process of looking at 'starter homes' and everyone wants $650k+ for all the fun neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point, Butcher's Hill, Federal Hill, etc.
You are right, it is no where near as cheap as it was years ago. But again, we were apt. hunting in both cities and we found that we could live much, much closer to the action for cheaper than here in Philly. And when we went out a little further, we got more for the money than we do here yet we were still pretty close to Inner Harbor and such in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2006, 8:38 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Here's the Sun's picture of the conceptual plan of the Westport project:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 9:05 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

^^

$1.4 billion development slated for Westport

Bruce Miller, The Examiner
Aug 16, 2006 5:00 AM (12 mins ago)

BALTIMORE - After 15 months of planning, Patrick Turner, president of Turner Development Group, has unveiled plans for a $1.4 billion development that will be located on Baltimore City’s last large parcel of developable waterfront property.

Located along the Patapsco River’s Middle Branch in Baltimore’s Westport and called Westport Waterfront, project plans call for a mixed-use development that will include residences, office space, retail and entertainment venues.

“This is the biggest project in Baltimore,” said Turner. “We’re almost building a second downtown.”

Specifically, the development will include 2,000 residences, including apartments, town homes, condominiums and lofts, 2.5 million square feet of office space and half-a-million square feet of retail and entertainment space.

The project will be anchored by a 65-story office building and the first building is expected to take delivery by late 2008. Surrounding the structures will be a restored beach and wetland area, as well as more than five-and-a-half miles of hiking and biking trails. It will also feature a Veledrome bicycling arena.

But while the size of the project is expected to have a huge economic impact on the city, raising the amount of property taxes generated from the area from under $50,000 to more than $32 million during the next 10 years, economic development officials see the revitalization of the neighborhood as the major benefit.

“The primary importance of this project is revitalizing the neighborhood,” said Aris Melissaratos, secretary of the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development. “I think the Middle Branch has the potential to become a mini Inner Harbor.”

M.J. “Jay” Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp., agreed that the development would have a significant impact in improving the West Port neighborhood and that the project is a prime example of creative and innovative use of a former industrial waterfront area.

“I think good things will come out of Turner’s efforts, housing values will go up and people will fix up their properties,” said Brodie. “He’s not turning his back on Westport at all, and I think that’s a very positive aspect of the plan.”

Turner added that he expects the development to attract both businesses and residents because of the area’s easy accessibility to Interstates 95 and 295, the Westport light rail stop and its proximity to downtown.

The development is being designed to be ecologically friendly by creating green areas and wetlands and by having all the run off from the property filtered and cleaned using bioswales before going into the Patapsco.

bmiller@baltimoreexaminer.com

Examiner

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 9:00 PM
Baltimore

thanks for the pics Waj0527.. I'll be able to see for myself everyday in a few weeks because my department is moving downtown and i'll be in the midst of our highrises!!! But they are looking good...

Sad to see that VHE is topped out, it doesn't look as tall as I thought it would be.. (almost though) .... oh well.... it is still taller than what was there before and that is really what counts.

Still anxiously awaiting the new 10IH rendering which should be very soon!!!! September is almost here!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 11:13 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

yeah, within about a two to three week timeframe from now we should be hearing and/or reading something new.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 8:06 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 8:08 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Plus, this:

Here is the scheduled topics of discussion:

Fall Forum Series 2006
Fraser Smith :: Maryland's elections
September 20, 2006
Fraser Smith, Sun columnist and WYPR political commentator, analyzes the Primary and General elections.

Charles Balfoure :: Niernsee and Nielson: Architects of Baltimore
September 27, 2006
Niernsee and Neilson: Architects of Baltimore. Co-author Charles Balfoure discusses his new book published by the BAF. Niernsee and Neilson worked on many important 19th century buildings including Camden Station, and planning the original Johns Hopkins Hospital campus.

Tom Balsley :: West Shore Park
October 4, 2006
West Shore Park: Tom Balsley, Principal Thomas Balsley and associates. Noted Landscape designer presents the new city plan for this waterfront park.

Fred Shoken :: Baltimore's Bicycle Masterplan
October 11, 2006
Fred Shoken, CHAP Planner and Bicycling enthusiast discusses the City Bicycle Master Plan, Bikeways, and exclusive traffic patterns.

Tyler Gearhart :: Preservation and Development
October 18, 2006
Tyler Gearhart, Executive Director of Preservation Maryland and CHAP Commission chairman will discuss historic preservation as a major development issue

Pat Turner :: What's Next in Baltimore
October 25, 2006
Pat Turner, principal of the Henrietta Development Corporation The pioneer of Southside development, (McHenry Theater, Silo Point) predicts what?s next.

Jack Waite :: The Basilica
November 1, 2006
Jack Waite, Latrobe expert and project architect for the Baltimore Basilica, details the lessons and discoveries from this important and fascinating restoration project.

Tracey Clark & Charlie Duff :: Baltimore Then and Now
November 8, 2006
Baltimore: Then and Now Collaborators Tracey Clark and Charlie Duff discuss their new book recently published by the BAF and Arcadia Press.

-------------------------------------

also:

About the BAF Forum Series:

All Forum sessions are free and at noon in the Berman Auditorium of the Hopkins Downtown Center, Charles and Fayette Streets. Guest are welcome to bring a lunch.

The Johns Hopkins Downtown Center is located at Charles and Fayette Streets. Forum sessions are held in the Center's Berman Auditorium. Guests are welcome to bring brown bag lunches.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations