HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

One Burrard Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:27 AM

Some elements of the design remind me of the Residences at Hotel Georgia.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Is this one of the proposed view cone sites?
The corner of Drake & Hornby is listed as one of the proposed sites for a 500' building, so this may get all of its approvals under the current allowances, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 'growth spurt' if the revised 500' height is allowed and the building can get re-approved to the new height before construction starts next year.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:45 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

My understanding is that a supermarket will in fact be part of the plan. Guess we'll have to wait a touch longer for them to announce it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
does this include the stuff like the 7-11 on davie?
and the two old houses, I wonder. It would be nice if they could be saved, fixed up and moved like with the Richard's site.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
did y'all know there is a Scion dealer next to the 7-11? it took over that auto service place...
Isn't Scion == Toyota?

If so, Burrard Toyota probably took that space to keep the impression that Scion is distinct from Toyota.

I read recently they are chasing the 20-30 year-old 'new home, new job, new car' market & created the Scion brand because they didn't want their audience to associate these vehicles with Toyota (ie: Moms Corolla).

Somehow Scion and Toyota will be melded into the new dealership Cube in the new development.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:57 AM

Ugly proposal so far. It's annoying when "green features" are used to sell a building to the udp. A minimum standard should be met, after which no amount of greenwashing should even factor into whether a design is approved or not. As it is right now, the towers are shapeless and needlessly complicated.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 1:59 AM

yes scion is part of the toyota company
I knew there were finally coming to canada but i didn't know they had dealerships already - its very small kinda "urban" i guess

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:09 AM
ON3P Skis

Just took a quick look on vanmap, 23 properties seems to be everything on Burrard from Drake to the newish tower, and everything on Hornby from Drake up to and including the old Ootmar Automotive (is this now Scion?). The brown building with the angled siding is tied to the building that sits mid-block on Davie and would not be included.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 3:25 AM
Website Manager

Wow, great proposal! I like the design, and don't think the tower needs to be oriented towards the Burrard Bridge. The way that it is angled slightly away from the bridge is neater in my opinion.

Here's the video on GlobalBC - http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...ZsuAkk6OrmcOAA

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:56 AM

Hey, thanks for posting, that is the first non bias news story I have seen on the proposals, the first thing CBC and News 1130 said in their coverage is "loss of mountain views," calling the buildings massive in a negative context, etc...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:07 AM

Thanks for posting

- the site plan shown in the Global newscast shows the northern boundary of the site being the same as the northern lot line of the Altadena (the newer condo on Burrard Street) - so it will not reach Davie Street.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
Website Manager

This G&M article has a pdf which contains the site outline (though not a site plan) - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1774079/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:24 PM

The view cone thing in this city makes me laugh. Who cares what you can see from QEP? And honestly, based on that graphic earlier, we could rebuild the Twin Towers at Robson Square and you'd still have a fantastic mountain view.

I live on the 10th floor in Yaletown and I can hardly see a sliver of a mountain.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks for posting

- the site plan shown in the Global newscast shows the northern boundary of the site being the same as the northern lot line of the Altadena (the newer condo on Burrard Street) - so it will not reach Davie Street.
2 of the 3 lots on Davie are currently for sale...so don't be surprised if it reaches Davie by the time it formally goes through rezoning.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 3:37 PM
loafing in lotusland

Forget Scion, I want a Daihatsu(also Toyota) Gino!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
2 of the 3 lots on Davie are currently for sale...so don't be surprised if it reaches Davie by the time it formally goes through rezoning.
That would be good for it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 8:35 PM

Burrard Gateway seems like a rather exciting project, extending that central city feeling south to the foot of the West End. I just hope the buildings are sleek and snazzy. {if you want MY definition of sleek and snazzy, One Wall Centre is the closest to it, in Vancouver}

Those people who get uptight about mountain views being lost seem either small-town thinkers stuck in the past, or people whose own views will be cut off. I have some sympathy for them, but as for the small-town "let's keep it like yesteryear" folks: go move to Spuzzum.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:30 PM
Community Guy

"Those people who get uptight about mountain views being lost seem either small-town thinkers stuck in the past, or people whose own views will be cut off."

You buy a car with a sunroof and then you are told it needs to be covered, you pissed off?

As much as they might be a PITA, view corridors are actually very much great foresight for future generations and a true legacy for the city thank you very much.

What if the original wealthy Vancouverites from CPR decided to settle Stanley Park and make it private land instead of turning it over as a public park to protect it and retain it in perpetuity.

huh cowboy?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
As much as they might be a PITA, view corridors are actually very much great foresight for future generations and a true legacy for the city thank you very much.

What if the original wealthy Vancouverites from CPR decided to settle Stanley Park and make it private land instead of turning it over as a public park to protect it and retain it in perpetuity.
1) It's not like there's a lack of places where you can see the mountains in Vancouver. Sure, it's nice to see the mountains from Broadway. It'd be just as nice to see some tall buildings.

2) Given that Stanley Park is largely useless (too far from anywhere but the boring yuppified West End and Coal Harbour), I'd be okay with that. That said, the loss of a huge park used by tons of people is not the same as changing some views.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
"Those people who get uptight about mountain views being lost seem either small-town thinkers stuck in the past, or people whose own views will be cut off."

You buy a car with a sunroof and then you are told it needs to be covered, you pissed off?

huh cowboy?
I don't even know where to start...apples and oranges. And you can see mountain views from almost anywhere.

Stringent View corridors, which are btw ridiculously arbitrary, inhibit the economic well-being of the city.

And yes, what about people who want to see some nice tall buildings?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver