HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 1:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Of course it does. Immovable empty zones impede or seriously delay the process of development.

This is abundantly evident throughout the city and has been for eons: where the City or some other large slow-moving institution controls large swaths of underutilized land, development just stops there.

If the property in question is extensive enough, then development will not generally leapfrog to the next developable area because people seek connectivity and prefer not to have to walk through unattractive dead zones to get to the next active neighborhood.

So, yes, giant swaths of basically empty, unattractive land, like the extensive City-controlled areas between Girard and Spring Garden east of Broad and west of 5th, act as a serious barrier to redevelopment.

That is why, around on either side, new development is occurring at a fast pace, but between 13th St and, say, 5th Street, the area north of Girard is still pretty desolate and undeveloped and probably will remain so for a while.

It is only now getting a little attention because of development spilling west from West Kensington/Fishtown or east from Temple. But had the city done a better job of not turning the area between Spring Garden and Girard into a publicly controlled wasteland, development would have been pushing up from the south probably quite a bit earlier. As it is now, we have a giant, government-made development doughnut hole there. And it will be hard to fill in given the levels of inertia engendered by the City agencies that created it.

It is beyond obvious that in many ways that are clear-as-day, this zone does limit development opportunities in North Philly.
North philly between Temple and Girard ave is almost completely developed. again, do you actually drive or walk through the areas you talk about? I see this area from the train every single day. Yorktown is south of temple and it has in tact row homes. There are also several rec center and playing fields in this area. Between the rail viaduct, broad street, Temple and fairmount ave there is minimal vacancy. The high levels of vacancy are EAST of the tracks and there is plenty of available land and vacant housing waiting to be rebuilt. as for lack of street activity all hours of the day and night- that is commonplace in many parts of the city outside of the core. In north philly you aren't going to find tons of people out walking or eating at sidewalk cafes at 8PM. Many of these areas are desolate after hours and it has nothing to do with the housing stock. It has to do with lack of restaurants and retail and high levels of vacancy in many areas. Most north and west philly are full of rowhomes (the ones that are still standing or occupied) and yet the level of activity on the street is NOTHING like CC or UC. There are a ton of reasons for that, but only someone with a simplistic mind can make the argument that simply having detached or semi detached housing ruins an urban neighborhood while bringing back densely packed rowhomes will turn an neighborhood into a CC clone without any other changes. Philly is MOSTLY rowhomes- and most rowhome dominated neighborhoods are nothing like CC and its immediate surrounding neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 1:51 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 2:51 PM

Exclusive: Grasso Holdings to develop Rivage site into mixed-use complex

Quote:
Though it may sound cliché at this point, it appears the Rivage site in East Falls will finally get developed.

Grasso Holdings in partnership with Onion Flats, both Philadelphia real estate companies, plan to construct a $70 million, 6-story, mixed-use project that will have 200 apartments, a 200-space underground garage and 15,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space.

There are still some loose ends to tie up, but if the approval process is finalized by year-end or early next year, the developers expect to break ground next summer and have it completed by early 2018.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...partments.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
North philly between Temple and Girard ave is almost completely developed. again, do you actually drive or walk through the areas you talk about . . . ..

*sigh*

Are you sure a public forum is the best place for your split personality to argue with itself?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 5:30 PM

Schuylkill River Trail Update: Bartram’s Mile to Break Ground November 23rd

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...l-river-trail/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 5:35 PM

Francis House of Peace and 8th Street Parkade this morning.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 5:37 PM

Vertical addition between 9th and 10th on Arch (at Hutchinson).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:16 PM

Comcast Center getting a speed bump between it and the bell atlantic tower?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I just drove by that earlier today and wondered the same thing. I was guessing (without any information) that it might be a crosswalk. I used to work in Bell Atlantic Tower/3 Logan. Everyone heading that way came out of the concourse at that Comcast Center entrance and jaywalked rather than crossing at the intersection. It was the most direct route to the 3 Logan lobby, or to hit Wawa or cut through the 3 Logan pocket park.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:00 PM

Should just have the cars drive underground for that block and then have the top portion be a park.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
It's curb bump outs and most likely a crosswalk to make the crossing safer for pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Should just have the cars drive underground for that block and then have the top portion be a park.
A park!?! That's a waste of prime real estate. You can at least fit a 22 story mix use condo in there.

Last edited by Baconboy007; Nov 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's curb bump outs and most likely a crosswalk to make the crossing safer for pedestrians.
Jackpot! Lucky guess on my part.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
A park!?! That's a waste of prime real estate. You can at least fit a 22 story mix use condo in there.
True we need to make up for 1900 arch and 1919 market.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
True we need to make up for 1900 arch and 1919 market.
Just drove by the latter today. The words "dream small" came to mind. It is decidedly an improvement over the former lot, but if this is the best that they could do to replace the Penn Center Inn, they might as well have left that old flea bag up. The presence of this building along 20th street especially is underwhelming. I was also horrified to see that they'll have a nice view of the parking decks from the pocket park next to the IBX tower. Short was disappointing. Skinny with an above-ground garage is malicious.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:21 PM

1100 Chestnut coming along!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:42 PM

17th & South
Update from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-at-17th-south

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:01 PM

I proposed 19 units for 3rd and Cecil b Moore, nice density for that block

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post

I proposed 19 units for 3rd and Cecil b Moore, nice density for that block
Looks great - it will be great for that area. I love the absence of street-facing garage doors.

Larry King, are you John Goodman on Phillyspeaks? That both have showbiz avatars and generally skeptical outlooks on things made me wonder.

Question: how much more expensive is it to build with light steel stud framing than wood framing for houses/buildings 5-stories and less? I'm curious, because I'd think that developers might want more durable fire/moisture resistant materials for building they are planning on holding for a while. Yet wood framing generally prevails; so I'm wondering what you think the cost differential is, all other things equal*.

* I think metal framing parts also requires more complex insulation configuration since wood has natural insulating qualities.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Looks great - it will be great for that area. I love the absence of street-facing garage doors.

Larry King, are you John Goodman on Phillyspeaks? That both have showbiz avatars and generally skeptical outlooks on things made me wonder.

Question: how much more expensive is it to build with light steel stud framing than wood framing for houses/buildings 5-stories and less? I'm curious, because I'd think that developers might want more durable fire/moisture resistant materials for building they are planning on holding for a while. Yet wood framing generally prevails; so I'm wondering what you think the cost differential is, all other things equal*.

* I think metal framing parts also requires more complex insulation configuration since wood has natural insulating qualities.
No comment!

I think it would only be slightly more expensive but I don't think it's necessarily any better than wood... And I'm not exactly sure what you can use for load bearing walls. Wood frame buildings should last a very long time if done right..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development