HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Not much, usually the bus is faster than LRT.
My conjecture is that, in KWC (Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge), people care more about frequency than about speed, so with LRT on corridors that currently see infrequent bus routes (such as Courtland Street and Fairway Drive), it may attract more ridership.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Well that's only the first accident of many to come.
You must have experience driving in K-W ...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You must have experience driving in K-W ...
Yup! I used to go see friends at UWaterloo many times a year back in my younger days.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 1:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Yup! I used to go see friends at UWaterloo many times a year back in my younger days.
That’s basically what I’m doing right now. Well, more like seeing friends and helping some of them with their coursework. Tutor for life.

=======
At the very least, it’s nice that people get to try the ION for free for the first few days. After that, I wanna try O-Train too, but the opening day for that is so up in the air.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
At the very least, it’s nice that people get to try the ION for free for the first few days. After that, I wanna try O-Train too, but the opening day for that is so up in the air.
What's an opening day?

We just get the pleasure of seeing the trains ride by empty every day as testing continues endlessly for the rest of our lives.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:21 PM

this year? fall?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:44 PM

https://twitter.com/SameGuy/status/1136000062180528128

First 40m of elevated guideway photos.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:51 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:13 PM

Is the Peg SW Transitway mostly a grade separated system like Ottawa's or Miss or does it have a lot of lights and level crossings?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:25 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Is the Peg SW Transitway mostly a grade separated system like Ottawa's or Miss or does it have a lot of lights and level crossings?
Mostly grade separated but near the UofM it has to cross a major thoroughfare and they opted to go at grade. There are also a few crossings of smaller streets at grade but not that many.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It doesn't even compare.

It has taken that city almost a decade to build some extra roads and bridges since the first phase. And the "connection" to downtown is straight-up embarrassing.. Basically it becomes a bus again on Main street in the thick of congestion doing nothing a rapid transit system should do. They could have at least grade separated the transit line from Harkness to Union station but the short sightedness of it all is incomparable. A project of this magnitude should transform a city and bring about a new way of thinking/living. And it honestly has done nothing to get people out of their cars.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:08 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It doesn't even compare.

It has taken that city almost a decade to build some extra roads and bridges since the first phase. And the "connection" to downtown is straight-up embarrassing.. Basically it becomes a bus again on Main street in the thick of congestion doing nothing a rapid transit system should do. They could have at least grade separated the transit line from Harkness to Union station but the short sightedness of it all is incomparable. A project of this magnitude should transform a city and bring about a new way of thinking/living. And it honestly has done nothing to get people out of their cars.
What is “that city” you are discussing about?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It doesn't even compare.

This is the same as Calgary (Calgary is probably worse). And is typical - important infrastructure is only built where it is cheap to do so, not where it is needed most. So the bus can go slightly faster in places where it already could reach a decent speed, but is still snail pace downtown, and really you've only improved things very marginally.

In Calgary, we've supposedly installed transit prioritisation on our one proper transitway. But I've never seen it used - cars always go first and buses wait at lights for the same amount of time as before. Stupid.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
This is the same as Calgary (Calgary is probably worse). And is typical - important infrastructure is only built where it is cheap to do so, not where it is needed most. So the bus can go slightly faster in places where it already could reach a decent speed, but is still snail pace downtown, and really you've only improved things very marginally.

In Calgary, we've supposedly installed transit prioritisation on our one proper transitway. But I've never seen it used - cars always go first and buses wait at lights for the same amount of time as before. Stupid.
BRT is a priority only for a very small crowd. I'm amazed they managed to get the city to spend the huge amounts of money that we are on a less than half-baked system.

Your point about Calgary only building where it's cheap to do so is not true and you know that's the case. If the city was cheap the West LRT line never would have been built the way it was and the plans for the Green Line wouldn't include an approximately $2 billion tunnel. If they were going to cheap out they would go with an entirely different route and build the line for a fraction of the cost.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
BRT is a priority only for a very small crowd. I'm amazed they managed to get the city to spend the huge amounts of money that we are on a less than half-baked system.

Your point about Calgary only building where it's cheap to do so is not true and you know that's the case. If the city was cheap the West LRT line never would have been built the way it was and the plans for the Green Line wouldn't include an approximately $2 billion tunnel. If they were going to cheap out they would go with an entirely different route and build the line for a fraction of the cost.
I'm talking about the BRT. The BRT lines did not cost huge amounts of money.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the BRT. The BRT lines did not cost huge amounts of money.
Hundreds of millions of dollars. For what we're getting it a huge amount of money.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Hundreds of millions of dollars. For what we're getting it a huge amount of money.
It would buy about 1-2km of the Green Line, so I'd say the cost is pretty reasonable. There just needs to be more of it to fill the gaps, and they need to actually prioritize the buses, which is the most maddening thing. All the city needs to do is change some code, but they choose to waste the capital investment they have made.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
It would buy about 1-2km of the Green Line, so I'd say the cost is pretty reasonable. There just needs to be more of it to fill the gaps, and they need to actually prioritize the buses, which is the most maddening thing. All the city needs to do is change some code, but they choose to waste the capital investment they have made.
The money would more than pay for interchanges on the very northern part of the Green Line which would keep it grade separated. As for the City changing some code, they claim they've done that in other places to keep traffic moving on roads with a ton of lights. How well as that been working for you? They probably have changed the code but fucked it up like they do so many other things.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
The money would more than pay for interchanges on the very northern part of the Green Line which would keep it grade separated. As for the City changing some code, they claim they've done that in other places to keep traffic moving on roads with a ton of lights. How well as that been working for you? They probably have changed the code but fucked it up like they do so many other things.
It isn't enough to buy any additional Green Line phases, according to the City's numbers.

So should the city never change anything then? If they are only going to screw things up? I don't care what happened on whatever lights you're talking about, if we are going to spend money on transitways and claim that the buses have signal priority, it is unacceptable to me to now see buses sat through entire light signals waiting for cars. Every single time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada