HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 1:14 PM

Canadian City Skyscraper Proposals (150m+)

As discussed in the proposal page, here is the new 150m+ skyscraperpage to give more Canadian Markets better exposure in the proposal thread.

240 Adelaide St W

Address 240 Adelaide St W, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 1W7
Category: Residential (Hotel, Condo), Commercial (Retail)
Number: of Buildings 1
Height: 719 ft / 219.00 m
Storeys: 63
Number of Units: 376, 117
Developer: Freed Developments
Architect: AS + GG Architecture

source: urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Reminds me a bit of Foster's design for Two World Trade Centre (which lamentably never got built)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:12 PM

50 King Street, London
Residential
Number of Buildings: 2, 53 & 43 storeys
Height Building 1: 186 metres/610 feet
Height Building 2: 143 metres/469 feet
Developer: York Developments
Architect: Zedd Architecture

Image Source: CTV News

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:26 PM

I'm pretty excited for that London Proposal. London will be getting two new tallests in quick succession by the looks of it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:34 PM

Is that riverfront public space redevelopment in London an active, separate proposal, or is that just artistic liberty by the renderers to sell the condo?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:36 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Always love when a city gets a new tallest building. The London towers don't look too bad either.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Is that riverfront public space redevelopment in London an active, separate proposal, or is that just artistic liberty by the renderers to sell the condo?
The "Bridge to Nowhere" (observation deck, not an actual crossing) proposal was introduced as part of a $10M "Back to the River" project about 4 years ago. The entire thing died in 2020.

https://www.lcf.on.ca/stories-backen...eeds-your-help

That said, I believe a increase in west downtown population also increases the likelihood of future park improvements in that area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
The "Bridge to Nowhere" (observation deck, not an actual crossing) proposal was introduced as part of a $10M "Back to the River" project about 4 years ago. The entire thing died in 2020.

https://www.lcf.on.ca/stories-backen...eeds-your-help
From what I understand, the developer will be working with the city to build the "Back to the River" proposal along with the development.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:59 PM
I am the law!

The novelty of a city building a new tallest wears off pretty quickly and I start questioning, for example, if residential skyscrapers are in the best interest of a mid sized city like London.

I'm not exactly clear what is going on with this development. The preservation of the courthouse gets attached to this development inferring a situation like a transfer of air rights which would make these heights a unique circumstance. however, the planning reports never include the courthouse within the property's boundaries. Follow up developments in London can use this as a reference to gain zoning approval.

This is a skyscraper forum and so much stock is put into skylines. What's the point to live in London if the downtown starts to look and feel like a post 2000 residential downtown Toronto neighbourhood? Of course, I don't find Toronto's Entertainment District remotely an ideal form of a downtown residential neighbourhood. It's becoming indistinguishable from a CBD except for the buildings meeting the street better (which is a product of the extremely high lot coverage) and some ground floor retail. And before Pantages Tower in Toronto topped out, CBD's were universally seen as hostile territories.

I will be dust for London to develop into Toronto's Entertainment District. The precedence for the chance of it happening is being set with developments like this if there isn't that connections to the courthouse property.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
From what I understand, the developer will be working with the city to build the "Back to the River" proposal along with the development.
IIRC, it died from lack of agreement on what should be done rather than a funding shortfall.

It'll be interesting to see where consensus landed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The novelty of a city building a new tallest wears off pretty quickly and I start questioning, for example, if residential skyscrapers are in the best interest of a mid sized city like London.

I'm not exactly clear what is going on with this development. The preservation of the courthouse gets attached to this development inferring a situation like a transfer of air rights which would make these heights a unique circumstance. however, the planning reports never include the courthouse within the property's boundaries. Follow up developments in London can use this as a reference to gain zoning approval.

This is a skyscraper forum and so much stock is put into skylines. What's the point to live in London if the downtown starts to look and feel like a post 2000 residential downtown Toronto neighbourhood? Of course, I don't find Toronto's Entertainment District remotely an ideal form of a downtown residential neighbourhood. It's becoming indistinguishable from a CBD except for the buildings meeting the street better (which is a product of the extremely high lot coverage) and some ground floor retail. And before Pantages Tower in Toronto topped out, CBD's were universally seen as hostile territories
There was a drawing that included a third tower being built within the courthouse, but I do not think that will fly. It was never part of the proposal.

Within the context of London, I can say this development is welcome. We are in a serious housing shortage (as is most of Ontario) and our downtown needs more residents to breath much needed life into businesses downtown. There are a lot of empty shops downtown and a lot of current retail is occupied by pot shops, pawn shops, etc. I can only think more people living downtown helps fill and elevate the types of stores there. Many are hoping this eventually brings a grocery store downtown. Living downtown has an appeal, even in London, and this project is walking distance to the market, Budweiser Gardens, restaurants, etc.

London won't ever have a Hong Kong skyline, so no need to worry about too many large towers being built here.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:51 PM
I am the law!

Hong Kong? Really?

It's already happening. Centro is two 30 plus storey twin towers with a 10 storey connector. Any signature aspect attached to height is all but taken away with an identical, slightly short twin a stone toss away. The ten storey connector turns it all into a block long wall of window wall. This one is much more attractive than Centro. Still, an identical twin a toss away that is 15% shorter and connected by podium removes much of the thrill of a 170 metre signature tower in London.

Something that would have accentuated the height of the tallest would have been a 10 rising to 18 storey terraced building separated from the tower by an outdoor pedestrian lane.

Same thing in Toronto. It often Isn't the heights. It's that it comes in twins, triplets and, quads.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:58 PM
video et taceo

That Toronto tower on Adelaide is really well-conceived. I don't think there is anything wrong with all of these Toronto buildings in and of themselves, but I would love to see a situation where the people working within them make decisions that are felt far and wide.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Centro is two 30 plus storey twin towers with a 10 storey connector. Any signature aspect attached to height is all but taken away with an identical, slightly short twin a stone toss away.
I don't disagree, London is full of fugly twins. The 40 storey Centro tower will soon be topping out and it certainly stands out in the skyline since the second 30 storey tower barely underway.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:59 PM

100 Borough | 163.5m | 50s | The Rosdev Group | Arcadis l pre-construction

Another big proposal* across from Scarborough Town Centre with 50, 50, 46, 39 & 26-storey mixed-use condominium buildings (2335 units). As alluded to over at Urban Toronto by @Northern Light, the quality of most of Arcadis’ design work continues to underwhelm.

*Oxford Properties, CreateTO and a half dozen other multi-tower proposals are in the pipeline, in and around Scarborough Town Centre.

UT

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:19 PM
I am the law!

When was the last tower completed in Scarborough Centre? Toronto has way too many proposals too build them all but, there's something under construction in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:20 PM
sick transit, gloria

Development is welcome but if I were to move to London there's no way I'm living in a highrise of that magnitude. The Entertainment District in Toronto at least has some selling points, though the only part I'd ever consider is West of Spadina.

Scarborough Town Centre has seemed a bit of a dead zone for the last decade or so. Again, still more of a case to be made compared to smaller centres.

That being said a friend of mine in tech has made a killing off the condo he purchased cheap in KW when his company was still based there (moved to Toronto).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London is very far away from the day that we need to ask ourselves whether more highrises are needed in the city centre (which is still very gappy, both in terms of the building wall and the huge number of surface parking lots). We badly need to bring thousands of residents downtown to revitalize the core, which is struggling due to storefront vacancies and a terrible homeless problem and profusion of fentanyl junkies. Plus, we need to rebalance the skyline away from the fugly twin towers that have proliferated the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
When was the last tower completed in Scarborough Centre? Toronto has way too many proposals too build them all but, there's something under construction in the neighbourhood.
2011 was the last large building completed in Scarborough Centre I believe - but there is a midrise building getting built on Brimley right now, and obviously no shortage of proposals. I imagine we'll see more shift to construction as the subway gets closer to completion.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:58 PM

83 Bloor West | ?m | 72s? | Parallax | Arcadis l Approved

This one was originally proposed at 80 storeys and a settlement agreement was adopted by Council in the summer at that height, yet now it is rumoured to have been knocked down 8 storeys at Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) for approval. No idea why it ended up at OLT at all given the aforementioned settlement agreement.

No new renderings yet or final height in metres though it’ll still be well above 200 metres if indeed it got the haircut.

Original version:

UT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada