HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 9:53 AM

An economic resurgence for Hamilton

An economic resurgence for Hamilton?

'I can't think of one thing that is stopping you from being the economic powerhouse of this country. You've got to stop and realize what you've got to work with.'

Meredith Macleod, May 3, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator, TheSpec.com mmacleod@thespec.com 905-526-3408

'Hamilton should be the leading city in Canada." The words seemed to lift a powerhouse crowd, already teeming with enthusiasm, to new levels of aspiration.

Glen Murray, former mayor of Winnipeg and now president of the Canadian Urban Institute, was the final speaker at the first-ever Hamilton Economic Summit this week.

After about seven hours of listening to speakers and engaging in group discussions, a crowd of 125 civic leaders literally crammed into a meeting room at the Ancaster Old Mill was hooked on his every word.

Many even urged the dynamic Murray to keep speaking as the day's moderator rushed him to stay on schedule.

Murray said Hamilton has the location, highways, border access, airport, rail and port infrastructure, proximity to Canada's biggest market, health and education facilities and all the natural and built amenities to achieve greatness.

It's a list Hamiltonians have heard before, but Murray's breathless fervour and the day's overflowing optimism about the prospects for the city's future took it all to the level of a tent revival meeting.

"I can't think of one thing that is stopping you from being the economic powerhouse of this country," he said. "You've got to stop and realize what you've got to work with."

The summit was an unprecedented gathering of leaders from a vast cross-section of the city. Organizers hoped it would trigger discussion about what is holding this city back and more importantly, find ways to spur an economic revival many have predicted for years.

Hamilton International Airport president and CEO Richard Koroscil tirelessly promoted the event and encouraged a cross-section of the city to take part.

The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, which hosted the event, sent out 200 invitations, expecting 60 or 80 to attend. They were swamped with replies and sold out five weeks before the summit. Fifty more people sat on a waiting list.

Participants marvelled at the gathering.

"Stop and think about who's here," summit co-chair and Mohawk president MaryLynn West-Moynes told the crowd as the day began.

"I'm confident you would not find a more industrious, hard-working, visionary, hard-nosed, community-minded group anywhere ... To me, you are what is impressive about today."

As the day progressed, the typically Hamilton penchant to wring hands about the past, what has been lost or opportunities missed failed to appear.

There was also an absence of finger-pointing, despite the presence of political and bureaucratic leaders often blamed for a lack of progress for the city.

Instead, there was widespread confirmation of the city's vision: "To be the best city in Canada to raise a child, promote innovation, engage citizens and provide diverse economic opportunities."

There was broad consensus that the community must aim for dramatic and significant change and that the old ways of doing things can't carry us forward.

In the words of one group of leaders, "we need a moon shoot and to harness our current fear factor."

Most spoke of the need to change Hamilton's image of itself, celebrate its stories and to communicate that beyond the city.

In practical terms, many leaders want to see Hamilton become one of Canada's top cities in less than a decade. The city is currently middle of the road, at 15th out of 27 cities over 100,000, ranked by the Conference Board of Canada.

The ranking has seven criteria. Even on measures normally celebrated in Hamilton, such as education (14th) and health (10th), the city has a lot of room for improvement.

Groups called for achieving a ranking of top five or even top three.

There are many experts who agree Hamilton is poised for growth. The Conference Board of Canada predicts that Hamilton's economy will rank 21st this year among the 27 biggest cities but that rapid growth expected to start next year will push Hamilton to eighth.

"You have the cornerstones in place to have a truly successful city," board chief economist Glenn Hodgson told the summit.

"You have the opportunity to go from good to great."

Hamilton ranked 11th on the board's innovation scale; Hodgson said that points to a "thinking city" which can focus on value-added manufacturing and services.

"Economist therapist" James Gollub, senior vice-president of consulting firm ICF International, says Hamilton has a healthy portfolio of economic clusters, including health and biomedical, steel, automotive parts manufacturing, agriculture and food processing and transportation and logistics.

The city's largest employment sectors are information, professional services and finance, said Gollub, whose firm examined Hamilton's economy in a study of six communities for the Ontario Chamber of Commerce.

He said the city should focus on fostering an environment for new enterprises that keep a local economy vibrant, and matching up financing with innovation.

He suggests a priority should be placed on intermodal transportation linking air, rail and port shipping.

He stressed that Hamilton should take responsibility for economic development out of City Hall, where its focus is too narrow and it's constrained by budgets, politics and red tape.

"Traditional economic development is a failure in North America. It only works on the margins and can't transform an economy. An economy transforms itself."

Gollub said the summit will only succeed if a formal, independent body is put in place that partners institutions with industries. He said Hamilton has been crippled by a failure to communicate and an inability to build consensus.

"I work all over Canada but I believe you are extraordinary people," he said.

"You have lots of ideas and great honour, but I believe you have trouble working together."

Ex-Winnipeg mayor Murray urged the city to embrace a risk-taking, entrepreneurial spirit and encourage those who will invest money.

"All the heritage-loving people in the world can embrace, hold hands and sing Kumbaya and it will never levitate the Lister Block," Murray said, referring to Hamilton's downtown derelict building.

"The people who will save the downtown are the ones who will make money saving the downtown."

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
Closed account

Murray can't "think of one thing that is stopping us" eh??

Try hanging out in city hall for the next 6 months.

This stuff sickens me. I get tired of people coming here from all over the world and drooling over themselves at our potential.
It will NEVER be realized with the back-room thugery that goes on at city hall.
I wish we could fire our entire council and staff and allow peopel like this from other cities to come in and run the show.

All this talk is cheap. We'll keep building Walmarts and paving over farmland till the cows come home (or lose their home).

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
This stuff sickens me. I get tired of people coming here from all over the world and drooling over themselves at our potential.
It will NEVER be realized with the back-room thugery that goes on at city hall.
Isn't it as important to shine a spotlight on the potential as it is to bring the thuggery to light? Words like Murray's and Florida's can prompt more locals to start asking why things aren't moving forward. They can be the nudge some people need to get involved.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:35 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

How about the lame skyline shot the Spec used on the front page. Flar should be a photographer for the Spec.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:37 PM

The City will ignore this and the Power Brokers at the conference will go away from this and continue "biddness as usual".

Special interests rule and the rest of the city is kept grossly misinformed and in the dark. Since the Spec 'doesn't do process".

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 5:23 PM
Closed account

so sad, but true.... until we axe the backroom hacks ruining this town we'll never reach our potential.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 1:21 PM
Closed account

glen murray's an outsider to hamilton but i'd take him as mayor any day of the week.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 3:04 PM

It is important, however. I don't believe things will change until this generation is retired. There is a new crop of City Leaders getting ready to change direction. Like mini-Obama's, many take part on this site. The old-wood needs to cleaned out first, and the only way that will happen is thru retirement. There is hope that some can change, I've been impressed with Terry Cooke's column lately, Brad Clark, Bratina, McHattie, Eisenberger (and his aides), are showing promise. The Staffers - even the younger ones - are being groomed into the established culture tho. That's a problem that might not change with time.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 4:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
It is important, however. I don't believe things will change until this generation is retired. There is a new crop of City Leaders getting ready to change direction. Like mini-Obama's, many take part on this site. The old-wood needs to cleaned out first, and the only way that will happen is thru retirement. There is hope that some can change, I've been impressed with Terry Cooke's column lately, Brad Clark, Bratina, McHattie, Eisenberger (and his aides), are showing promise. The Staffers - even the younger ones - are being groomed into the established culture tho. That's a problem that might not change with time.
The best way to clear dead wood is to burn it. The ash enriches the soil and helps regenerate the forest.

In this case, I'd prefer to see the dead wood carted away and disposed of ... preferably far away from here.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

City's economic future is starting to coalesce

Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 14, 2008)

An action plan is rolling out in the afterglow of the city's unprecedented economic summit two weeks ago.

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce CEO John Dolbec said many influential people have stepped forward to ask how they can help with the drive to revitalize the city.

"We've been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and ambition coming from the summit," he said.

The daylong gathering brought together leaders from city government, business, the arts and non-profit groups to hash out objectives to turn around Hamilton's fortunes.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger, chamber executives, leaders of the Jobs Prosperity Collaborative and lead summit organizers will meet May 27 to move forward on a vision for the city.

Sometime this week, a detailed report about the summit and its discussions will be delivered by the event's facilitator, Wayne Hussey.

"We'll be divvying up the tasks coming out of the report to the responsible organizations," said Dolbec.

The chamber, which hosted the event, also had a debriefing session with key players to define the next steps and even begin planning for next year's summit.

Future steps include a two-hour briefing session for about 50 community leaders who had to be turned away from the sold-out summit (that briefing will be open to anyone) and a half-year progress briefing for summit participants.

The chamber has also committed to forming a secretariat responsible for following up ideas emanating from the summit.

Dolbec says he is considering four people for the role and hopes to have someone in place by early June.

The chamber is also considering a "large-scale" project, but Dolbec would not provide details just yet.

The United Way of Burlington and Greater Hamilton will be making a major announcement on Friday that is directly linked to the message of summit keynote speaker Richard Florida.

Details are still being worked out.

United Way CEO Darrel Skidmore says Florida's address about creating a vibrant city that attracts creative people and lures companies and jobs inspired the new initiative.

"It was clear to us we should jump in with both feet."

According to Dolbec, pessimism -- often blamed for holding Hamilton back -- is nowhere to be found in the wake of the summit.

"The traditional naysayers and squelchers, as they were identified at the summit, have been conspicuous by their absence."

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Closed account

Dolbec's wrong...Mancinelli was at the summit. Doesn't get more squelcher than that.
I'm intrigued by the United Way's project soon to be announced....and sadly, I must say I'm not the least bit interested in the Chambers'. In fact, I'm scared of what they might be up to...bringing a blob of Landmart Homes to the downtown core??? I could dream up some scary, yet realistic 'projects' that would suit the Chamber perfectly.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:29 PM
Raising the Hammer

Dolbec will never be an agent of urban revitalization until he gives up on this kind of thinking:

http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/Lett...article/357428

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:00 AM
Closed account

not sure where this fits, but the 2007 EcDev review:

http://investinhamilton.ca/publications/EcRev07.pdf

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:14 AM
Closed account

So I heard a CIBC report on AM 680 yesterday stating that due to higher oil prices, we're going to start buying locally again rather than from India & China.

They say once oil hits $200/barrell, Hamilton will re-emerge as a manufacturing hotspot. AM 680 mentioned Hamilton specifically.

According to it, high oil prices are going to 'de-globalize' the world. For 3 year ago it cost something like $3000 to ship Steel from China to N-A, today it costs approx $8000 to ship.

If this is true, this will be a good TEMPORARY shot in the arm for the Hammer's manufacturing industry which has been hit so hard the last cpl decades.

I stress TEMPORARY since that's exactly what it is. Hopefully the City plans to continue w/ it's knowledge-based industry while reaping the short-term benefits of a resurging manufacturing industry.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
Closed account

I've always hoped that high oil prices would lead to a decrease in 'globalization' ie - all the jobs going to sweatshops in china.
I don't understand how that helps us though. Doesn't most of our steel get shipped overseas?
They ship in the raw products and we ship back steel. At least that's the impression I've always had.
Perhaps they were guessing that the US market would start buying from us again instead of overseas...

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I've always hoped that high oil prices would lead to a decrease in 'globalization' ie - all the jobs going to sweatshops in china.
I don't understand how that helps us though. Doesn't most of our steel get shipped overseas?
They ship in the raw products and we ship back steel. At least that's the impression I've always had.
Perhaps they were guessing that the US market would start buying from us again instead of overseas...
Decreased efficiency does not make for good economics.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
it does for companies willing to change with the times....why import steel from the east now, when you can buy it from Hamilton?
The way we've built our economies over the past 5 decades is unsustainable and hopefully gradually coming to an end now.
the winners will be the ones who adapt. The losers will be the ones still trying to live in the cheap-oil era.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
But, pure globalization will go to cheapest place to produce and ship goods to market. If that`s local, then it`s local.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what they were talking about, ya.
They said something like the US has continuously decreased it's purchases/shipments of Steel from China significantly over the last three years. I don't remember the exact number.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:01 PM

Apparently US Steel Canada and ArcelorMittal Dofasco (Can’t get use to theses names) are working at capacity and the Port of Hamilton is now exporting more steel then in the past few years. In them past export steel was near or at zero.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy