HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:23 AM
passion for patterns

Question Nixon:China / arbeiter:san francisk.

I'm coming to San Francisco for only 3 days starting Sunday afternoon (the 1st.) It is my come down from Seattle as I make my way east to Austin. I've never been to San Francisco for leisure - I've only been to the Bay Area for business, twice, and each time I was unable to actually set foot in SF although I have driven through it.

I am staying with my good friend, but they don't get back to SF until after midnight on sunday (aka monday morning). So I will be doing a lot of wandering before then. So with that being said:

a) if you have ever seen my photography or have any kind of sense of my personality, where would you tell me to go? I tend to love planning disasters, unloved corners of neighborhoods, places off the beaten track, mid-century architecture, and "genderf*ck" architecture - i.e. Seattle's palm trees, Austin's log cabins, or things that seem mismatched. So with San Francisco that might be something that resembles New Orleans, England or lacking succulent or subtropical plants.

b) is there anywhere that is truly unsafe? I think the Bayview area is all I have programmed in my mind.

c) I know this sounds silly, but how hilly is it? I cant tell because of the oppressive way SF likes to gridularize what would be ridges and curves in other cities. Maps make it look like it might be flat in spots. Are there any staircase neighborhoods? like places with a lot of staircases?

d) Office Parks that may have housed defunct lovelies like Fairchild, Wang, and Data General, please tell me if that's worth looking at. I like technology's dowdy incubators.

e) given the short amount of time, should I ignore the East Bay? I can come back to visit if I like what I see, right? Or, should I make a hop on the Key System!?

f) Can you explain this famous treat that youre so famous for? It's apparently so popular that it's sold as a pilaf entree.

g) can you tell me where the naval base is in Alameda? al-la-meda?

I was thinking of maybe doing a re-enactment of "well, a double dumbass on you!" since I am about as alien to SF as J. T. Kirk is.

That's about it.

Video Link

The San Francisco of jazzy saxophone segues in movies, Mrs. Doubtfire, the TV show Phyllis, etc. thats what I need.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 5:05 PM
Of Heart's Delight

SF of 1986 doesn't exist.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I'm coming to San Francisco for only 3 days starting Sunday afternoon (the 1st.) It is my come down from Seattle as I make my way east to Austin. I've never been to San Francisco for leisure - I've only been to the Bay Area for business, twice, and each time I was unable to actually set foot in SF although I have driven through it.

I am staying with my good friend, but they don't get back to SF until after midnight on sunday (aka monday morning). So I will be doing a lot of wandering before then. So with that being said:

a) if you have ever seen my photography or have any kind of sense of my personality, where would you tell me to go? I tend to love planning disasters, unloved corners of neighborhoods, places off the beaten track, mid-century architecture, and "genderf*ck" architecture - i.e. Seattle's palm trees, Austin's log cabins, or things that seem mismatched. So with San Francisco that might be something that resembles New Orleans, England or lacking succulent or subtropical plants.

b) is there anywhere that is truly unsafe? I think the Bayview area is all I have programmed in my mind.

c) I know this sounds silly, but how hilly is it? I cant tell because of the oppressive way SF likes to gridularize what would be ridges and curves in other cities. Maps make it look like it might be flat in spots. Are there any staircase neighborhoods? like places with a lot of staircases?

d) Office Parks that may have housed defunct lovelies like Fairchild, Wang, and Data General, please tell me if that's worth looking at. I like technology's dowdy incubators.

e) given the short amount of time, should I ignore the East Bay? I can come back to visit if I like what I see, right? Or, should I make a hop on the Key System!?

f) Can you explain this famous treat that youre so famous for? It's apparently so popular that it's sold as a pilaf entree.

I was thinking of maybe doing a re-enactment of "well, a double dumbass on you!" since I am about as alien to SF as J. T. Kirk is.

That's about it.

Video Link

The San Francisco of jazzy saxophone segues in movies, Mrs. Doubtfire, the TV show Phyllis, etc. thats what I need.
In reverse order, the naval base in Alameda is in Alameda: That's what google is for. That would be the east bay. You can take the alameda ferry over and you are a few blocks from the emptiness that is the Alameda Naval Base.

Rice-a-roni's parent company is now based in San Leandro, and no, no one can explain why it was ever considered a treat.

The office parks are in the south bay. Data General and Wang, however, were based in Massachusetts not California.

There is no Key System, hasn't been a Key system since the 60s.

Yes, it does seem silly, there are massive hills in SF. (not mountains). There a steps that lead up to various hills, but not all. Many are hidden, some not so well kept - the steps not the hills, btw.

West Oakland and South Oakland, e.g. area bwtn Fruitvale/Coliseum stops on BART, not so safe, but not South Side of Chicago.

Can't help you with the first request, it doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
passion for patterns

Wow - I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes. I know the Key System is defunct, I know where the naval base is, it was a pretty well known part of Star Trek IV where they tried to find it and nobody on the street would talk to them.

And the first question should be easy - what parts of San Francisco are least stereotypically San Franciscan in aesthetics and personality? i.e. fewer painted ladies, fewer palm trees, different architectural vernacular.

Well, thanks to anyone who can help.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Wow - I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes. I know the Key System is defunct, I know where the naval base is, it was a pretty well known part of Star Trek IV where they tried to find it and nobody on the street would talk to them.

And the first question should be easy - what parts of San Francisco are least stereotypically San Franciscan in aesthetics and personality? i.e. fewer painted ladies, fewer palm trees, different architectural vernacular.

Well, thanks to anyone who can help.
I like this map a lot - it actually shows you what streets are hilly, and how steep they are.

As for your first request, it sounds like you're looking for (architectural) weirdness and wackiness. SF has plenty of that, more so than other major cities I think - it's a free-spirited city. However, no single neighborhood has a monopoly on it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Well, to my mind parts of the growing Mission Bay area look like a suburban office park. And the heart of the old Fillmore neighborhood looks like what it is--60s/70s schlock--not "San Franciscan".

Quote:
I would not/do not walk alone in the Tenderloin late at night and would avoid the projects in the Western Addition/Fillmore if walking alone at any time.

Quote:
There are a number of steps. The Filbert steps on Telegraph Hill (leading down from Coit Tower) are the best known. There are also steps leading up Diamond Heights from the Castro (can't recall what street) and in several other areas. There are also some areas where the sidewalks are stair-stepped because the hill is so steep.

On the other hand, downtown, South of Market, the waterfront, the Marina, the Mission are mostly flat.

Quote:
That stuff would mostly be in the East and South Bay. There's some derelict industrial stuff in the southeast Mission--old breweries, bakeries and such--but a lot of it is becoming trendy lofts.

Quote:
It would only take a couple of hours and not cost much to take a little East Bay BART tour. You can get off if you see anything interesting. If you stay on and exit one station from where you boarded, the fare will be the minimum.

[quote]f) Can you explain this famous treat that youre so famous for? It's apparently so popular that it's sold as a pilaf entree.[/quote

I've never met anybody who eats it.

Quote:
Cross the Bay Bridge, look to the right and slightly downward. When the base was open, planes taking off sort of buzzed the bridge. (I know--Star Trek reference, but, still, you asked).

Quote:

That's about it.

For the "noir" atmosphere, you need a foggy night which can be hard to come by this time of year. Still, there are vestiges. Consider lunch at Tadich's Grill or John's Grill (not cheap but not New York expensive)--order grilled sand dabs. Sam Spade lived in the Tenderloin (well, "TenderNob") and that's where you can still be reminded of him. North Beach still has some "Little Italy" atmosphere--wander up Columbus Ave. from Broadway. Mrs. Doubtfire lived in Pacific Heights but there's not much for you there except views and big houses. Noe Valley has a little more interesting retail (24th & Castro) and lots of renovated Victorians (beware of lesbians raising children!).

Sorry I didn't see this thread in time.

Last edited by BTinSF; Mar 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 10:49 PM
of the bay area

Funny you preface the title as Nixon:China, for one of SF's best kept secrets to the rest of the world is that 1/3 of the city is Asian. Even my freinds and family from asian countries don't have any idea.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:55 AM

Mid century would have to be the single family homes of the outer sunset. treeless, lots of concrete, windswept, mostly unloved. You could take the N-Judah out there.

To me the furthest from stereotypical San Francisco would be maybe going out to India Basin. Old Industrial area, weird public housing on the hill and a million dollar view looking back to downtown SF. Not sure if this is recommended without a car though. Don't go at night. Really more of SF doesn't look stereotypical than that which does I think. Much of the south and west parts are pretty ugly.

If you are serious about the stairs thing here is a link. http://www.sisterbetty.org/stairways/vallejostreet.htm

Most definitely stereotypical

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West