HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:05 PM

I like the Stix public art project. But, I'm sure there will be those who think it's a waste of money and just won't see it as art. MidTenn1, I think it will compliment the MCC and the new buildings proposed for the round-about. Also, thanks for the visual of how the proposed and under construction buildings will impact that area. It's a nice visual and can't wait to see how the other available vacant properties will be developed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 10:01 AM
Nashville born and raised

This view from Lexy's 'City Photos' thread may be obscured in the near future as the City of Nashville is asking bids for the development of two large parking lots in the foreground. The area is zoned to allow up to 30 stories and the size of the lots indicate they would easily accommodate up to four such buildings.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 12:10 PM

Well...!?

The Crescendo is back....per the Nashville Post.

There looks to be a waterfall in the middle of the building. It would be on a high point and very prominent as you rode through Nashville on I-40.

The developer had proposed a guitar shaped building a few years ago which was met with great skepticism and thankfully never built. That particular fail led to more skepticism on line as to whether he could pull off this project, represented by a crude render that looks like it was done with MSPaint or something.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 2:11 PM

New renderings for the 400 ft., 35 story JW Marriott have been released. The renderings depict the developer's decision to cancel the office building component of the project and sell off that piece of land.

However, demolition of existing buildings on the hotel site is going full steam ahead and the hotel is to open in 2017.

2nd EDIT: The height is being reported now as 34 stories and 385 ft. Still a significant presence on that hill!

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 2:20 PM

Another great reuse of a downtown office building as a twelve story, 1970's building on Union Street will be converted to a Fairlane Hotel, complete with a large neon sign on the roof.

There are at least five other conversions of office to hotel proposed or completed for that area.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:58 PM

That is a good reuse of the building on Union. I liked the corner entrance of that building, but I understand the benefits to a hotel wanting it on the side. It'll make it easier for arriving and departing guests.

As for the JWM, I hope we don't see any further downsizing of the hotel. I know it's just one floor, but with the office building component going away, I now have a bit of skepticism with this project.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:46 PM

Chase explores new options at Virgin Hotel site

Looks like the prospects of a Virgin Hotel in Nashville are starting to unravel a bit.... Let's hope this is an isolated issue and not a precursor of an over built market or indicators of a slowing market due to uncertainties.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...e.html?ana=twt

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:43 PM

^ Looks like Sir Richard Branson has stepped in to purchase the site and things may be potentially back on track.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...site/73538454/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
^ Looks like Sir Richard Branson has stepped in to purchase the site and things may be potentially back on track.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...site/73538454/
Would have been nice if Palmer had a Sir Richard Branson to step in and take over the West End Summit... Sorry, I know people don't like talking about the WES anymore...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Would have been nice if Palmer had a Sir Richard Branson to step in and take over the West End Summit... Sorry, I know people don't like talking about the WES anymore...
How about a Trump? Yeah, I know, he's kinda busy right now.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:24 PM

By the way....for reference...the Virgin Hotel Proposal...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:42 PM

Also, the State of Tennessee has revealed new renderings for the proposed State Library and Archives Building on the Capitol Mall. Also announced, was the news that Turner Construction has been selected for the construction of the new State Museum, also on the Mall. This will put two grand buildings in the area that will compliment and frame the Mall; the Mall being my favorite park with a little bit of DC's Capitol Mall and NYC's Central Park all rolled into one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1716.../data=!3m1!1e3

A southbound view of the Mall. The Archives will be to the near left and the Museum will be off to the right.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:07 PM
Member since 2001

Another hotel in the works?!? Looks like Nashville is in the crosshairs for a Hotel ZaZa within the next five years!

STORY

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Tennessean article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...oval/71521010/

If you purchase or rent a property in the central business district of a city, shouldn't you have expectations that at some point other developments will take place around you that might impede your views, increase the traffic and create other potential issues that are basically a nuance of living in a central business district? If you want to ensure that your view is protected, then move into a building where the developer purchased air rights to ensure that those views are always protected. If you want to sunbath don't live in the CBD where there are existing and more than likely future high rises that may block the sun from baking your skin. I'm surprise there wasn't a complaint of other people being able too look out their windows to watch them sitting around the pool.

If you elect to live in a CBD you have to accept that your surroundings will change and possibly change your views, traffic, etc. It's just part of the territory. I like that this developer is proposing a tall slender building rather than some squatty 15-20 story building that would probably take away more views and block the sun to others in a similarly sized building. I've mentioned this concept of building tall slender buildings before on this site because it's now being done quite frequently in NYC. And, it is amazing how you can still enjoy nice views, sunlight, etc. if you're in a property near them. It's just not necessary for apartment and condo buildings to take up half a city block or more. I'd rather live in a taller building with 4-6 apartments/condos per floor than to live in a shorter building with 10-20 units per floor. That's what you're seeing happen in NYC and other major cities.

I know Nashville is not NYC by any stretch of the imagination. But, if you're going to live in the core of the city, you need to accept that your environment WILL change as the CBD grows. More than likely that growth is going to be upwards and it's going to happen around you at some point.

As for the increase in traffic, current Gulch residents need to understand that the more people they have living in that area the more opportunities there will be for additional businesses to open that will serve that community. As such you create more "foot traffic" than vehicle traffic during certain hours (i.e. after work an weekends).
Looks like the Tower height variance will be granted tonight as the developers reached a compromise with the nearby residents in other buildings...

From the Tennessean...

Apparently the south side of the tower will be limited to just over 100 ft. to keep shadows away from the pool.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 12:08 PM

Site for Lyden Hotel acquired....

Newer proposals are beginning to appear south of the Korean Veterans Boulevard corridor bringing high quality mixed-use projects to this mostly, light industrial area.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:23 PM

The Tennessean reported that a developer is looking to build a project that will include a five star hotel, apartments and condo's at a property on 2nd Ave. South. http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ndos/74408732/

This seems like it is going to be a pretty big project given the price tag of $300M. The Tennessean is reporting that it will encompass an entire city block. In looking at a map this would be the city block bound by 1st Ave S to the east, 2nd Ave S to the west, Demonbreun to the south and the Shelby Street pedestrian bridge to the north. It will sit across from the Pinnacle Bldg.

I wonder what the developer is considering in terms of height. I suppose there are height restrictions and knowing Nashville one can assume it'll get capped at 30 stories. The downside if it is going to be a high rise between 20-30 stories it will more than likely block the view of the Pinnacle from the east which is one of it's best views.

The article states that the developer will demolish the existing structures on the property which includes a 100 year building that was rehabbed as an apartment building. I wonder if they'll be under pressure by historic preservationist to save the building by incorporating it into the new design or building around it. The property seems large enough to build around it or somehow incorporate it into the design. Of course that depends heavily on the design concept, which I hope will be something unique and not another glass box.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:51 AM

A couple of enhanced photos of the 32 Story SoBro Apartments under construction.

For reference...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:59 PM

A different view of some of the SoBro projects under construction or set to break ground this month.

The recently acquired NCI (Northern Capitol Investments) property has been proposed as large mixed-use project with Condos, Hotel (5 star) and retail. Current zoning limits height to 300 ft. Can't wait to see the renderings!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 1:15 PM

I've lost track... are there any major developments in the works south of the KVB? Looking at the view that MidTenn1 provided, it just appears to me that everything is getting clustered on the north side of KVB and many of the buildings will be obstructed or obstruct another, at least from the eastern view of downtown.

It would really be nice if KVB was lined with a mix of 15 - 40 story buildings.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I've lost track... are there any major developments in the works south of the KVB? Looking at the view that MidTenn1 provided, it just appears to me that everything is getting clustered on the north side of KVB and many of the buildings will be obstructed or obstruct another, at least from the eastern view of downtown.

It would really be nice if KVB was lined with a mix of 15 - 40 story buildings.
Aside from the Rolling Mill Hill complex, there have not been a whole lot of specific proposals for south of KVB yet. A lot of property has been sold and consolidated for upcoming projects. Specifically, so far there is the Olmstead development on 5th Avenue that should be breaking first quarter '16. The City Lights development on Rutledge that should break this month. The Holiday Inn at 5th and Peabody sometime next year and the Marriott (tri-brand) that will front KVB on the same block.

A few block further south, there are smaller projects like the mixed use building u/c at Division and Magazine, arguably part of the Gulch. The future development in that area will be driven by the completion of the Division Street connector to Ash/Second Avenue South. And an announcement from Lifeway on their plans to either go with a short tower at First/Hermitage and KVB (i.e. the grassy point of land there) or move forward with the developer that just bought their property around 10th Avenue between Church and Broadway. Then there are two adjacent parcels to that site and abutting the Trolley Barn complex that will soon be sold by MDHA to likely two developers. I'm not sure what stage those plans to bid are at currently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations