HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 1:58 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:02 PM

Platinum Condos | 8/10/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Does anyone know why the floor could be so sloped in this one section?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 6:21 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post

Platinum Condos | 8/10/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Does anyone know why the floor could be so sloped in this one section?
It is not sloped, it's an optical illusion. The building actually steps back from left to right making it appear to be sloped.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 2:01 AM
Forever forward.

It's not an optical trick, it actually is slightly sloped for whatever reason.

Pictures from this evening:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 1:57 PM

Sloped for drainage purposes. I am assuming this is part of the above ground parking structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
It's not an optical trick, it actually is slightly sloped for whatever reason.

Pictures from this evening:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:49 PM

I was told a few weeks ago there may be 3 floors of above ground parking in addition to underground parking. Definitely explains the weird slopes

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:34 PM
Forever forward.

Some pictures from this afternoon:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:41 PM

Structure for the podium is now complete with concrete set above the fourth floor. Excited to see the tower start rising soon!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:24 PM

Why do all these new developments seem to exist in a vacuum? They completely disregard the preexisting conditions, buildings and community around them. The new podium has an ugly concrete wall facing the newly fixed up apartments on King and Hess. Perhaps it could be filled with a nice mural, but I doubt that's part of the plans. It will likely sit as a bare concrete wall until someone pushes for a mural or a developer plans to tear down the historic apartments next door...

This is why developments always have push back. I've seen developments that actually did community consultation and tried and they had very little pushback. NIMBYs exist, but developers could pretend to make an effort.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Why do all these new developments seem to exist in a vacuum? They completely disregard the preexisting conditions, buildings and community around them. The new podium has an ugly concrete wall facing the newly fixed up apartments on King and Hess. Perhaps it could be filled with a nice mural, but I doubt that's part of the plans. It will likely sit as a bare concrete wall until someone pushes for a mural or a developer plans to tear down the historic apartments next door...

This is why developments always have push back. I've seen developments that actually did community consultation and tried and they had very little pushback. NIMBYs exist, but developers could pretend to make an effort.
I doubt it will remain as bare concrete. Although I tend to agree.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I doubt it will remain as bare concrete. Although I tend to agree.
Perhaps fake brick, but my point stands, it's a plain wall, where windows or something could have been.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:04 PM

It's a small site and there are building code measures they have to adhere to. You can't put windows on walls too close to a property line, so they would have to set the wall back by about 15 feet to do so. And that would have too large an impact on the parking garage, etc.

Blank walls are part of large cities. They are very common in Toronto.

This one isn't even that bad, it's only about a floor above the adjacent building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It's a small site and there are building code measures they have to adhere to. You can't put windows on walls too close to a property line, so they would have to set the wall back by about 15 feet to do so. And that would have too large an impact on the parking garage, etc.

Blank walls are part of large cities. They are very common in Toronto.

This one isn't even that bad, it's only about a floor above the adjacent building.
I'd be curious why, there are plenty of old building that have windows against the property line, and it causes no issues.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I'd be curious why, there are plenty of old building that have windows against the property line, and it causes no issues.
Because they're old buildings - and thus grandfathered in. Going forward one has to adhere to current building code standards.

And this is not the only example of a concrete wall - the george st one also faces the renovated historical building with a blank wall. It sets a subconscious message that "your time will come historical building" and that any new building that demolishes it will but up to that wall.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Because they're old buildings - and thus grandfathered in. Going forward one has to adhere to current building code standards.

And this is not the only example of a concrete wall - the george st one also faces the renovated historical building with a blank wall. It sets a subconscious message that "your time will come historical building" and that any new building that demolishes it will but up to that wall.
This is my point, and I meant to mention Marquee as well within my post about this. I understand why a developer may have to adhere to modern rules, what I'm curious about is why that modern rule exists.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
This is my point, and I meant to mention Marquee as well within my post about this. I understand why a developer may have to adhere to modern rules, what I'm curious about is why that modern rule exists.
It's likely to do with the fire code. You can't place windows directly on a property line because if any future building were also built directly adjacent on the property line, those windows would then be blocked.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Oct 20, 2020 at 7:46 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
It's likely to do with the fire code. You can't place windows directly on a property line because if any future building were also built directly adjacent on the property line, those windows would then be blocked.
That's a fair point, but I'm not sure why they couldn't simply be labelled as "decorative" windows that lack any capacity of fire safety, even so far as not being able to be opened.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
That's a fair point, but I'm not sure why they couldn't simply be labelled as "decorative" windows that lack any capacity of fire safety, even so far as not being able to be opened.
False windows would be another idea.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:45 PM

Exterior panels are being installed

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:34 PM
Hamilton Historian

hunh odd way to move them - almost looks like it damages them that way to sorta drill into them to hold them... I'm guessing those areas will be filled and painted or smoothed over after

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton