HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
^^^^^^ what!!!!?????
I mean...yay.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

Brandon R. Guzman-Johnson, facebook

Brandon R. Guzman-Johnson, facebook
Such a waste of such prime location. Part fifth 800 footer...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Disagree...this will be just as nice with great street presence.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:34 AM
SUSPENDED

^ I was strolling by there earlier this yr on my way to grand central mkt, & that large parking lot is a mood killer. it totally ruins the flow in that part of dt.

the NE corner of 5th & olive has been a major gap for decades. If I thought the economy during the next 5 yrs would allow something as dramatic as the original park fifth tower to be built there, I could understand ppl having enough patience to not mind that gap remaining there....as it has been for 30 yrs or even longer if one considers the parking lot that has been south of the subway terminal bldg for over 70 or more yrs. Or ppl who have alot more patience than I do & are willing to wait for something better to come along, even if that might be another 10 or more yrs.

meanwhile, across the street....

Quote:
Video Link

A suspended sea of delicate silver strands ripples over Pershing Square and casts moving shadows over pedestrians who pass underneath. The “Liquid Shard” art installation, made from holographic mylar and monofilament, stretches 15,000 sq ft. across the park and rises and falls like a mystical giant, slithering through the wind.

Designed and built by artist Patrick Shearn, the new installation has become an instant hit, mesmerizing downtown residents, office workers and tourists alike, while spawning thousands of posts on social media. The exhibit is part of an on-going effort by the city of Los Angeles to support public art displays.

“Not exactly sure what it is, why it’s here or who put it there but Pershing Square was shimmering today,” said nkao in an Instagram post. In another post, danaworkman said, “The real magic happens when the wind kicks up, launching it into a beautiful rolling wave across #pershingsquare.”

I would have to say this is one of my favorite installations we’ve done. — Kevin Regan, assistant general manager at the Recreation and Parks Department

“We wanted to have the piece in downtown LA, to showcase it in a space where there are a lot of people gathering, and where it would have a strong architectural and spacial impact,” said Carmen Zella, co-founder of Now Art LA. “Pershing Square was the perfect fit.”

“It’s a piece that can be celebrated from many perspectives,” said Zella. “It has a slow-paced motion that counters the fast-paced hustle and bustle of the downtown environment.”

The “Liquid Shard” installation is currently scheduled to remain in place until August 11, but Kevin Regan, Assistant General Manager at the Recreation and Parks Department has proposed keeping it up longer.

“I would have to say this is one of my favorite installations we’ve done. But I didn’t expect it to blow up on social media like it did,” he said, mentioning that the exhibit has generated thousands of posts on Instagram. “It’s cool that so many people are enjoying it.”

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 1:03 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Those photos must something else, didn't someone on here say it's 100% not happening?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Those photos must something else, didn't someone on here say it's 100% not happening?
Just a fluke. The cycle is deffiently coming to a close.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Disagree...this will be just as nice with great street presence.
Another project with much more density can create a better street prescience and if this project falls through another developer will quickly snatch the property and plan something else quite possible something much more prominent in that lot

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 4:38 PM

I'm actually starting to fall into the camp of impatient people citywatch mentioned. That lot has been empty for decades and it's one of DTLA's biggest mood killers. Despite the fact that it's an extremely prime spot, I'm worried we end up waiting another decade with the chance we get an equally mediocre project or an inferior product.

The expected project isn't the best or the worst but it'll help DTLA a ton by removing that horrible and awkward dead zone. But then again, I'm just incredibly eager to see all of DTLA improve.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 5:32 PM
life is good

Yeah something needs to be built there asap. We are getting plenty of towers in other nearby locations. That lot really does destroy that block

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 5:52 PM

And let's not forget the SE corner of Hill and 5th, right next to a subway station, which could be the next place for a tower.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 6:31 PM
SUSPENDED

^ that overhead pic emphasizes how unacceptable that location is in its current shape. I've been passing by there for yrs & yrs, & it's one of the major sections of dt that has long made me feel very ambivalent....& impatient....about all of dtla.

It's a problem that really does date back a looong time. Part of that area....the shed now being torn down....was set aside for trains of the old red car system from the beginning. so there has been a gap directly south of the subway terminal bldg....or now metro417....going back over 80 yrs.

this is the view of that area before the subway terminal bldg existed, looking SW towards the biltmore hotel....

laph.org

there once was a small bldg on Hill St...seen to the left of the small train station above....that existed to the right side of this other taller bldg, the old federal title bldg. I don't know exactly when the 1 story bldg was torn down to make way for parking, but the federal title bldg must have been demolished during the 1980s, making the parking lot even larger.

cdn.loc.gov

this just doesn't cut it any longer. Change is long overdue....

laconservancy.org

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 7:10 PM

I remember when the original Park Fifth was proposed and some people actually got upset because it didn't have 3-4 towers in the plan. Fast forward to today, if this isn't the biggest slap in the face in comparison to the original, I don't know what is.

But that being said, it blends in with whats already around Pershing Square. Lets just hope they don't back out of the tower portion or this will be the oddest 7 story in the city.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 8:08 PM

cdn.loc.gov

there once was a small bldg on Hill St...seen to the left of the small train station above....that existed to the right side of this other taller bldg, the old federal title bldg. I don't know exactly when the 1 story bldg was torn down to make way for parking, but the federal title bldg must have been demolished during the 1980s, making the parking lot even larger.

City watch ,
what a fantastic find, thank you. I do remember this building and I happened to be downtown (all the way from Claremont) on one of the days they were demolishing this building (Im guessing 1982 or 1983). It's a beauty, look at the Bas-Relief above the ground floor. One of the many, many, charming art deco buildings in DTLA. More than a shame for its loss, I watched for about an hour it being hit by a wrecking ball. It put up a good fight--from what I remember it took many swings of the ball to even slightly damage it.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 8:41 PM
SUSPENDED

^ I'm glad your recollection confirms my estimate of when it was demolished, I guessed it was the 1980s based on the style of the cars in the lot next to it. however, I believe I'm incorrect in guessing that bldg went up next door to the smaller bldg that used to sit on Hill st south of the subway terminal.

Based on this pic, I don't think the federal title bldg rose next to that 1 story bldg but must have filled up some of the land that it once stood on.....

awalkerinla.com

the shed for the trains apparently was constructed after the subway terminal had been completed. So the parking lot on the roof of the shed postdates the existence of what's now metro417.

I'm being nitpicky about this since I'm curious exactly how long either a gap or parking lot has existed next to the former subway terminal bldg. It appears that bldg hasn't had a friendly neighbor since its completion in 1925. A gap that goes back over 90 yrs!

while it's fascinating to see what dtla was like in its distant past, the present & future is where it's at......

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 10:43 AM

Every 6 minutes and 3 car trains is what we need.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/08/0...-the-olympics/

Quote:
Expo Line and Gold Line update:

We’re well aware of some of the crowding that riders have experienced in recent weeks on the Expo Line and Gold Line. Some good news to pass along from Metro staff: at this time, the agency is planning to begin running Expo Line trains every six minutes as part of the annual December service changes. Expo trains are now running every 12 minutes, so that’s a considerable improvement for a rail line that has proven to be very, very popular.

As more new light rail vehicles are delivered from our contractor, Kinkisharyo, Metro is also planning on deploying more three-car trains on both the Expo Line and Gold Line. This, of course, is contingent on deliveries of new rail cars continuing at their present rate. Metro has thus far received 41 new rail cars and the base order of 78 is expected to arrive by early 2017.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 2:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Definitely during peak commute times and during special events. Which, once basketball season starts back up, should be very often.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:59 PM

[QUOTE=citywatch;7524312]^ I'm glad your recollection confirms my estimate of when it was demolished, I guessed it was the 1980s based on the style of the cars in the lot next to it. however, I believe I'm incorrect in guessing that bldg went up next door to the smaller bldg that used to sit on Hill st south of the subway terminal.

Based on this pic, I don't think the federal title bldg rose next to that 1 story bldg but must have filled up some of the land that it once stood on.....

awalkerinla.com

the shed for the trains apparently was constructed after the subway terminal had been completed. So the parking lot on the roof of the shed postdates the existence of what's now metro417.

I'm being nitpicky about this since I'm curious exactly how long either a gap or parking lot has existed next to the former subway terminal bldg. It appears that bldg hasn't had a friendly neighbor since its completion in 1925. A gap that goes back over 90 yrs!

while it's fascinating to see what dtla was like in its distant past, the present & future is where it's at......

Citywatch, I get the level of interest that you are giving to piecing together the puzzle of what was DTLA. I remember visiting from the mid-1960's to today, most often in the 1980's to 1990's. During the years I have accumulated many books on the subject with hundreds of photos and of course with the internet my photo record is now in the thousands. With that in mind, I think that the transit shed pre-dated the Subway Terminal building. The shed (circa 1915-1920) itself was a ramshackle embarrassment for a city with such a huge population growth, soon to become a city with over a million inhabitants in a special census taken in 1923. But the actual history of that entire block could be found out it is just a matter of finding the right sources. From my memory, also in the 1980's I remember the civic auditorium next to the Title Guarantee building. As we in this forum all know the original design was beyond spectacular and the 1930's renovation was very poor. In 1949 it housed the city's philharmonic and my Mother (who had just moved with her mother and father from Boston to Silverlake) told me a story where she accidentally bumped into and Angela Lansbury and they ended up discussing their feelings about Arron Copeland who had just performed there. But sadly, the next time I visited DTLA the auditorium was gone. Apparently the city was convinced by some developer (I think David Hoauk) that he would build a large tower in its place. His plan was to demolish the building and start right away. This was again in the mid-to late 1980's. Sounds familiar doesn't it.
But the point of my story (I think) is that downtown Los Angeles, up until the 1930's, was in its past history a physically dense, economically and culturally vital urban core serving a large suburban area of well over 2,500,000 and growing.

Last edited by Wilcal; Aug 8, 2016 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:17 PM

Delete

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:29 PM

Last edited by blackcat23; Aug 9, 2016 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:46 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations