HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:57 PM

A building permit application has been submitted for the proposed 13 story hotel at 14th and Court across the street from the City/County Building.

The developer is Urban Villages and the architect is Studio Gang.

The permit application indicates 297 rooms and a height of 158 feet.

I still haven't been able to find a good rendering, only this elevation from an encroachment permit on the City's site:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:08 PM

Nice ^^^

So, am I the only one that is a bit unhappy with the recent real estate trends in Denver?

https://www.westword.com/news/denver...pdate-11839417

I kinda feel like we are approaching a tipping point where more and more people are going to be priced out of Denver in place of coastal folks moving in with equity. I bought my condo a couple years ago and was hoping to eventually upgrade to a townhome, but at this rate, it will never happen. I know rising housing values are great for homeowners, but at some point, it's not good for everyone overall, even with the lower property taxes compared to other cities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
A building permit application has been submitted for the proposed 13 story hotel at 14th and Court across the street from the City/County Building.

I still haven't been able to find a good rendering, only this elevation from an encroachment permit on the City's site:

Looks like they're going to build a giant pipe organ.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 9:25 PM

A new project being reviewed by the Downtown Design Advisory Board this month:

Music/Box at 2215 California St. - 15 stories, 165 feet, 300 apartments, 225 parking spaces.

Architect is Shears Adkins Rockmore

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 11:47 PM
[sub]urbanite

El Jebel Temple Updates?

Anyone know what the status is on the El Jebel residential tower? I see scaffolding is up around the Temple but looks like no movement on the tower to the south? Log #2018PM0000199 - anyone have any intel?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:11 AM

Quote:
A new project being reviewed by the Downtown Design Advisory Board this month:

Music/Box at 2215 California St. - 15 stories, 165 feet, 300 apartments, 225 parking spaces.

Architect is Shears Adkins Rockmore

Not bad for a land barge! Certainly a step in the right direction for A Square and way better than the Alexan shit piles down Welton.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:27 PM

Now that Business Den is officially subscription based, what are your alternatives? There is no way I can justify $100 a year for mostly mansion listings and irrelevant news; 2 articles a day. For that price you can get print and digital of the Denver Post and that includes a digital subscription to the NY Times.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:42 PM

The DBJ is only $140/year for an individual. I think. It’s better than the Post when it comes to development news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmandan03 View Post
Now that Business Den is officially subscription based, what are your alternatives? There is no way I can justify $100 a year for mostly mansion listings and irrelevant news; 2 articles a day. For that price you can get print and digital of the Denver Post and that includes a digital subscription to the NY Times.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:45 PM

Also, the Capitol Square Apartments on the SW corner of 13th & Sherman are under construction. The lot has been fenced off for a couple weeks, and when I drove past last night, the older buildings on the south side of the big building on the corner had been demolished.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:45 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Not bad for a land barge! Certainly a step in the right direction for A Square and way better than the Alexan shit piles down Welton.
Agreed- though the funny thing is that both the Alexan projects have far more intricate brickwork than the majority of projects that have gone up. Just goes to show you how much massing and facade breakup can go towards humanizing projects with long frontages.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulopolis View Post
Also, the Capitol Square Apartments on the SW corner of 13th & Sherman are under construction. The lot has been fenced off for a couple weeks, and when I drove past last night, the older buildings on the south side of the big building on the corner had been demolished.
Yeah they are making good progress tearing down the old buildings on-site. Those buildings have been vacant for at least a decade, maybe longer. This will be a significant improvement along the Sherman corridor by the Capitol. Now the SLB just needs to develop its parking lots to the south..

Speaking of demolition, the massive 375 unit AMLI Broadway Park project at Alameda & Bannock is well underway with the old K-Mart parking lot demolished and a large excavation happening for their underground parking garage.

Last edited by BG918; Nov 18, 2020 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 5:53 AM

Quote:

I presume that is an elevation showing all three sides of the building. It looks like the right and left tops are at the same height.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr8364 View Post
I presume that is an elevation showing all three sides of the building. It looks like the right and left tops are at the same height.
Looks like it, that is an odd triangular postage-stamp lot. I'm getting Geo Ponti vibes which is appropriate considering the location. I have heard this will be a Yotel.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Looks like it, that is an odd triangular postage-stamp lot. I'm getting Geo Ponti vibes which is appropriate considering the location. I have heard this will be a Yotel.
That would make sense. Looking at their site - it says Denver is supposed to get a Yotel Pad for their 2021 expansion plans. It’s even starred meaning it’s “taking off”

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I agree, this could be pretty cool. That building was the site of my first project as an architect. I did a remodel in there for the City Court Child Care Center.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:59 PM

Some projects are important for their 'utility'

Renaissance Veterans Apartments at Fitzsimons - 1753 North Quentin Street, Aurora

Image courtesy Colorado Coalition for the Homeless via Denverite

Some veterans will start moving out of homelessness and into an apartment complex in Aurora
Nov. 13, 2020 By Donna Bryson/Denverite

-----------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Has there ever been a Supreme drop in Denver?
Believe I've read that part of their mystique is as an online company. For now the latest Supreme drop is HERE.

Which begs the question: "Did anybody (else) catch your reference?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Agreed- though the funny thing is that both the Alexan projects have far more intricate brickwork than the majority of projects that have gone up. Just goes to show you how much massing and facade breakup can go towards humanizing projects with long frontages.
I do like (intricate) brickwork, always have.

I just figure there's something wrong with people who can't appreciate good barge art.

Not much to see here but if it's fit to print...

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...part-ways.html
Quote:
It was supposed to be one of the largest and most ambitious developments to hit Denver since Union Station and Dairy Block.

Developers teased grand visions for the roughly 7-acre site, located along 39th Avenue between Franklin and Williams streets in the Cole neighborhood. Plans called for a more than $300 million project, dubbed Denver Rock Drill, with hundreds of thousands of square feet of office, retail, restaurant and hotel space, alongside European-style public areas.
I vaguely remember that one.
Quote:
Byron Weiss, owner of the site, recently told Denver Business Journal that he and Saunders Commercial Development — which had been brought on to handle development of the site — parted ways earlier this year.
The future isn't now but rather sometime in the future.
Quote:
Weiss said he isn't in a rush to find a new partner.
For all of us preservation fans there's this:
Quote:
He added that any plans would "absolutely" need to preserve the existing structures, which are more than a century old.

"There's amazing architecture inside. It's pretty unusual," Weiss said. "It would just be a real shame [to tear it down]. Nobody has ever looked at this with the idea of scraping it."

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:12 PM

MOAR Shorenstein dots drop (mostly off-topic)

Did I ever mention how 'social dynamics' fascinate me? While politics is always a little crazy, have you ever witnessed such craziness? The preponderance of disinformation and conspiracy crap is off the charts. I started reading an excellent piece on Politico. If you're not into politics then don't bother.

So I'm reading along and a couple of times Joan Donovan is referenced. She's the the research director of the Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center for Media, Politics and Policy, which studies and monitors the spread of misinformation. Given that "Shorenstein" is not the most common of names, I wondered "what are the odds?"

Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy
Quote:
In March 1985, Joan Shorenstein, a producer of the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, died of cancer at age 38. Her parents, Walter H. and Phyllis J. Shorenstein, were interested in creating an initiative that would honor their daughter's passion for journalism and politics and spoke with Edward M. Kennedy... The Shorensteins' gave an initial gift of $5 million, and the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy officially opened in September 1986.[23][24]
And yes, Walter Shorenstein is the founder of Shorenstein Properties; Walter Shorenstein died in 2010 at age 95

More or less on-topic

Canada housing squeeze: Buyers moving up 'handcuffed' by hard-to-sell condos
November 17, 2020 By By Nichola Saminather, Julie Gordon/Reuters

This is relevant (perhaps) to Amacon's 18th and Glenarm condo project given that Amacon is Canadian. But who can predict the future?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmandan03 View Post
It's more than a bit frustrating although I figured that eventually this would happen - especially after the DBJ put up a paywall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Nice ^^^

So, am I the only one that is a bit unhappy with the recent real estate trends in Denver?

https://www.westword.com/news/denver...pdate-11839417

I kinda feel like we are approaching a tipping point where more and more people are going to be priced out of Denver in place of coastal folks moving in with equity. I bought my condo a couple years ago and was hoping to eventually upgrade to a townhome, but at this rate, it will never happen. I know rising housing values are great for homeowners, but at some point, it's not good for everyone overall, even with the lower property taxes compared to other cities.
It is a bit sad but it seems in hindsight this was most likely to be Denver's destiny.

I'm lucky; I can cling to my memories of "cow town" Denver. When I want to remember the good old days.

Speaking of the Ball Center and Ball Corp, they are currently building a new (modern) can manufacturing facility in west metro Phoenix. With Phoenix, it's partly the advantage of "sprawl" and partly it's the advantage that Phoenix is home to a fair amount of manufacturing. That and its huge warehouse business lends to a more affordable environment. The difference is that while Phoenix has its higher end business and real estate, it also has lower-end economic drivers while Denver doesn't favor that.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 3:25 AM

The Current, River North

It looks like earth is being moved at the site of The Current in RiNo (corner of 36th & Delgany).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:45 PM

Subscription Free Development Resources

Ciao tutti,

I know we are all sad that BusinessDen is now subscription based. I haven't seen these sites mentioned yet, so I would like to post the following two development and real estate sites (did I mention they are free?):

Mile High Commercial Real Estate

https://milehighcre.com/

Colorado Real Estate Journal

https://crej.com/

Enjoy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West