HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:56 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

what about this on Burrard?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:17 AM

The YVR rings look cheap because they are all-white. They should have been in the Olympic colors. Was there a reason for this?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:23 AM

^ it also looks cheap as you get towards it because of all the cables.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:25 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
In the next few days, the City of Vancouver will announce the details of its Olympic celebration site near David Lam Park. It will also announce it is extending bar hours during the Games, to try to generate a party atmosphere in the city.

Alas, it won't quite be the "white nights" of Torino, site of the 2006 Winter Games, where the town stayed open 24 hours a day to party. But there are plans to shake Vancouver's "no-fun" image by at least extending closing time for an extra hour or two across the city and supplying extended public transit service for revellers to get home.
[/URL]
The alcohol and transit laws that are currently enforced in Vancouver are utterly absurd.

Alcohol should be permitted to flow freely 24 hours of the day - and transit should be running akin to serve the inebriated patrons.

Why, for one month, would the city attempt to shake its "no fun" image and then resort back to its former policies of bondage. Vancouver should capitalize on this opportunity to re-brand itself as a city with a progressive entertainment scene.

After all, what would a "Resort City" be without a great party scene?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
what about this on Burrard?

not an option according to the article, as it's prone to being hijacked by protesters and vandalism....which is why they chose a location in the middle of the Harbour.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
The alcohol and transit laws that are currently enforced in Vancouver are utterly absurd.

Alcohol should be permitted to flow freely 24 hours of the day - and transit should be running 24/7 to serve its inebriated patrons.

Why, for one month, would the city attempt to shake its "no fun" image and then resort back to its former policies of bondage. Vancouver should capitalize on this opportunity to re-brand itself as a city with a progressive entertainment scene.

After all, what would a "Resort City" be without a party scene?
In Beijing, they relaxed their media laws and reverted it back the way it was before the Games.

In Vancouver, it's liquor laws.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:35 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

They should change it to colourful LED lights....

When you get close to it, it is amazingly bright!

Too bad this is what we have~

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:41 AM
Site 8 Lives

Not having the rings on the Lions Gate Bridge is a major disappointment. But life goes on.

As for Grouse Mountain, it's still a long shot. Afterall, NBC is going to be there, and having the rings set amidst the skiing, skating and snow would pretty amazing. More importantly, it would be iconic not just for people living around Burrard Inlet (namely Coal Harbour, downtown Vancouver and North Shore) but indeed the entire region.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
They should change it to colourful LED lights....

When you get close to it, it is amazingly bright!

Too bad this is what we have~
The YVR rings do change colour, all the Olympic colours....and millions more in fact.

Anyway, it's possible that VANOC and others aren't releasing any more plans right now for more rings until nearer to the Games and may not be installing them until early-January, for security reasons (i.e. on the side of bridges) until the RCMP and security unit start mobilizing. Afterall, they cost millions of dollars to build and they aren't gonna replace them if something happens over the next few months.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:56 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
The YVR rings do change colour, all the Olympic colours....and millions more in fact.

Every time I pass by, they are white. Are they going to wait till the Olympics? Or is it just me that never get to see the other colours.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:00 AM

it's you.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:16 AM

they change colours and its amazing - but they stay white most of the time - i think its a timed show

you can see the colours in the video

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:35 AM

People also forget that a lot of the mountain is protected parks land, is it not? You can't just go around installing whatever you want just for Olympics sake.

It would be impressive but I'd imagine rings on the mountains would have to be huge for it to be visible down in Downtown. The light pollution might not be something that would be embraced by people.

Not that I feel that way, but I'm sure that may be one of the arguments against.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:19 AM

the size at the airport would work

the ones at the airport can be seen on galiano island and they aren't even on full to what they can do

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the size at the airport would work

the ones at the airport can be seen on galiano island and they aren't even on full to what they can do
Oh really? Wow, okay, I can accept something that size. I just imagined that a mountain location ring would have a radius in the range of a few meters per ring.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
People also forget that a lot of the mountain is protected parks land, is it not? You can't just go around installing whatever you want just for Olympics sake.

It would be impressive but I'd imagine rings on the mountains would have to be huge for it to be visible down in Downtown. The light pollution might not be something that would be embraced by people.

Not that I feel that way, but I'm sure that may be one of the arguments against.
They dont need to to construct actual rings, just temporary cable suported towers with lights. Either 16 or 8 temporary support towers per ring would be good enough with a powerful LED lights(one per tower) hooked up to generators that can be lifted in to place by helicopter. That would mean 80 or 40 temporary towers held in place by cables. Shouldent be to costly for the main olympic sign and it wouldent effect parkland. At night it would look amazing, might even make it nicely visible during the day with a bit of creativity.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 11:44 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
After all, what would a "Resort City" be without a great party scene?
...Vancouver

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:53 PM

someone already mentioned this but having the rings on the north shore mountains leaves them prone to being under cloud cover and not visible so why even take a chance?

furthermore, i think it only makes sense to have the rings in Vancouver seeing it's the host city. it would be pretty embaressing if north van had rings, richmond had them but the city of vancouver didn't.

Quote from Hed Kandi

i take it you weren't in Salt Lake for the 2002 games? do you have any idea what their liquor laws are like? archaic to say the least. It wasn't until July of this year that you didn't need a "membership" to buy a drink. that's right. if you walked into a bar you couldn't just order a drink. you had to buy a membership first. ALL patrons who look under 35 must have their ID's scanned. everywhere, everybody, no exception. restaurants, bars, clubs. That still exists today. there are only 6 liquor stores in the entire state!
look it up on google. salt lake has the strightest liquor laws in the US.
that's what you get for being a mormon state.

so i'm really not concerned that vancouver will have a "no-fun" image. in fact, it'll probably be the complete opposite.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:33 PM

Quote:
In the daytime for sure. At night that's not a problem. If they used colored bulbs you might be able to see the colors during the day, or they could just leave it on 24/7. In any case, I winced when I saw it, first in the day, then at night.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they change colours and its amazing - but they stay white most of the time - i think its a timed show

you can see the colours in the video

Video Link
Wow, the timing just sucks then. Badly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]