HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 12:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Progress on the new Nicholas overpass:

https://traffic.ottawa.ca/map/camera?id=2021

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 12:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Progress on the new Nicholas overpass:
I always loved that 270 degree sweep from Nicholas to the 417 East - if you could carry some speed through it, it made for a great merge.

Having 4 lanes in each direction from the 416 to the Split will be nice.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I always loved that 270 degree sweep from Nicholas to the 417 East - if you could carry some speed through it, it made for a great merge.

Having 4 lanes in each direction from the 416 to the Split will be nice.
And that’s what M.T.O.’s been getting at.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:14 PM

^ Sort of. There will be no widening through the core; Kent-Metcalfe will remain at 6 lanes.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
^ Sort of. There will be no widening through the core; Kent-Metcalfe will remain at 6 lanes.
It's a tight squeeze through that section and the bridge over the Rideau Canal are fairly significant obstacles, I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:37 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It's a tight squeeze through that section and the bridge over the Rideau Canal are fairly significant obstacles, I suppose.
Are you working in Ottawa now? Just curious.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Are you working in Ottawa now? Just curious.
No, I lived there for awhile a few years back.

I visit once and awhile. I've traveled on the 417 enough in the region.

There was certain interchanges/chokepoints I was not a fan of (always disliked the weaving on the Metcalfe eastbound on-ramp and Nicholas off-ramp) and the 174 westbound to 417 mandatory merge (now fixed, I think).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 1:20 PM

I noticed that the full 4-lane configuration is being painted east of Nicholas all the way to split

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 11:19 PM

417 expansion

Does anyone know when the work on the western section (carling area) is supposed to be completed? Traffic only keeps getting worse here!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:43 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam92 View Post
Does anyone know when the work on the western section (carling area) is supposed to be completed? Traffic only keeps getting worse here!
December 2020.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
December 2020.
Is that the timeline before they completely closed a lane on each side? I believe originally the work on median would be done with three lanes open a majority of the time (during the day) but they took advantage of lower traffic volumes.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:29 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
Is that the timeline before they completely closed a lane on each side? I believe originally the work on median would be done with three lanes open a majority of the time (during the day) but they took advantage of lower traffic volumes.
December 2020 is for entire contract completion. As for the lanes, they are likely to reopen before that time. But I don’t recall a specific date being offered in light of the current COVID-19 working environment.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
December 2020 is for entire contract completion. As for the lanes, they are likely to reopen before that time. But I don’t recall a specific date being offered in light of the current COVID-19 working environment.
Yeah, I thought being able to work not just at night would speed things up a lot. Especially not having to always move the barriers in and out. It just seems like no progress is being made anytime I drive by.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I thought being able to work not just at night would speed things up a lot. Especially not having to always move the barriers in and out. It just seems like no progress is being made anytime I drive by.
Construction is always like that - to an observer, it always looks like they're just sitting around doing nothing. But I imagine it's not actually like that and we're just not paying attention/aware of all that's happening.

Those centre lanes can be closed for now, but by the end of summer they'll have to either be done, or switch to night-time/off-peak only work, as once traffic even begins to approach normal levels, that section of the highway won't be able to handle 2 lanes in each direction. Even now, with the whole government telecommuting, it still leads to significant congestion.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Construction is always like that - to an observer, it always looks like they're just sitting around doing nothing. But I imagine it's not actually like that and we're just not paying attention/aware of all that's happening.

Those centre lanes can be closed for now, but by the end of summer they'll have to either be done, or switch to night-time/off-peak only work, as once traffic even begins to approach normal levels, that section of the highway won't be able to handle 2 lanes in each direction. Even now, with the whole government telecommuting, it still leads to significant congestion.
Yeah I didn't mean workers there not doing anything but more there is not much equipment or workers present. I worked in residential construction for years and this project just seems to be at a standstill the last month or two. Even further east they have repaved numerous lanes in no time at all and quite efficiently but this center lane stuff is slowwwwww.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:20 PM

Queensway to be closed from July 2nd and 6th for Trillium Line bridge replacement. Details in the following link:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/highway-41...ment-1.4994681

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah I didn't mean workers there not doing anything but more there is not much equipment or workers present. I worked in residential construction for years and this project just seems to be at a standstill the last month or two. Even further east they have repaved numerous lanes in no time at all and quite efficiently but this center lane stuff is slowwwwww.
I completely disagree!

What time do you drive thru? Its true, there's only one 'shift' working, but I suspect that's due to COVID/staffing issues.

They've made a huuuuge amount of progress. All of the existing infrastructure including storm water sewer lines, light standards, electrical, and the existing paving and sub-grade materials have been fully demolished and replaced. Hundreds of new catch basins and full storm water system has been installed, and the sub-grade has been placed now. I'm just waiting for the new median to go up, and paving to commence. I'm actually surprised at how quickly it's all gone, with a December completion date, they should be way ahead of schedule.

Mid-morning the site is full of people working.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:03 PM

Is the Trillium Line bridge replacement a rapid bridge replacement? (Seems like it must be). If so, where did they build the off-site bridge?

*edit*
n/m, I found it:
https://www.highway417cpr-otrainbrid...entations.html

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Is the Trillium Line bridge replacement a rapid bridge replacement? (Seems like it must be). If so, where did they build the off-site bridge?

*edit*
n/m, I found it:
https://www.highway417cpr-otrainbrid...entations.html
Good Day.

Yep, the new bridges are just to the north.

And, partly rapid replacement.
They have built the new end piers on both sides under the existing, which will be demolished in-place, and the debris painfully removed quickly.
Then the new will be rolled into place, given the trench has already been (temporarily) filled with rock for this purpose.
The demo-in-place is why it is going to take a bit longer than the usual rapid replacement process.

It should be quite the view.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:22 PM

This morning at the O-Train/Preston overpass:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation