HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There actually is a slight feeling of that when you drive down that stretch at high speeds.
I've always felt that this perception causes most of the jam density issues with this entire stretch of highway eastbound (excluding the Bronson ramp backups). I wonder if removing the dips would have had the same effect as widening.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I've always felt that this perception causes most of the jam density issues with this entire stretch of highway eastbound (excluding the Bronson ramp backups). I wonder if removing the dips would have had the same effect as widening.
My theory about the the west end traffic jams is that drivers have the sun in their face during both rush hours (driving east towards the sun in the morning and west towards the sun in the evening, which is even worse).

There are also more people who live west of downtown than east, less transit ridership and, well, the highway has been wider in one form or another for decades.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 5:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah eastbound on the stretch between Maitland and Carling going towards Parkdale and the curve I always get the impression due to the gentle dipping in the road now and then, you can't really see the far ahead of you.

A lot of people probably instinctively slow down as a result.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:51 PM
National Capital Region

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2020/...o-renfrew.html

Ontario Moves Forward with Widening Highway 17 from Arnprior to Renfrew
Twinning vital highway corridor will improve safety, connect communities and create jobs
May 27, 2020 9:30 A.M.Ministry of Transportation
TORONTO — Today, John Yakabuski, MPP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, announced the Ontario government is moving forward with the first stage of widening Highway 17 from two to four lanes between Arnprior and Renfrew. The highway expansion, with four new interchanges, will keep families safe, connect communities, and drive economic growth in the region.

"Highway 17 is a lifeline for travel and the movement of goods throughout Renfrew County," said MPP Yakabuski. "Twinning this vital highway corridor will improve safety, strengthen the connection between communities, create jobs and attract investment to the region."

The government is requesting Expressions of Interest from qualified contractors for the first stage of the highway expansion, which will see a new interchange built at the Calabogie Road Intersection. Construction will begin following the awarding of the contract and completion of the design and environmental assessment.

"Our government is supporting local communities with critical infrastructure investments that will keep families safe, goods moving, and drive economic growth and job creation," said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. "Modernizing and expanding this section of Highway 17 will ensure a safe and efficient highway network for Eastern Ontario."

Ontario is widening 22.5 kilometres of Highway 17 from Scheel Drive to three kilometres west of Bruce Street in Renfrew County. The highway expansion project will help to inform the Province's first regional transportation plan for Eastern Ontario, to be released in 2021.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah eastbound on the stretch between Maitland and Carling going towards Parkdale and the curve I always get the impression due to the gentle dipping in the road now and then, you can't really see the far ahead of you.

A lot of people probably instinctively slow down as a result.
I've noticed this effect too.

As soon as one arrives at the overpass at Carling, the speed of traffic drops by ~10 km/h as the overpass prevents optimal sightlines and the apparent width of the highway decreases on that stretch (the lanes are the same width, but the overpass makes the profile of the highway smaller).

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2020/...o-renfrew.html

Ontario Moves Forward with Widening Highway 17 from Arnprior to Renfrew
Twinning vital highway corridor will improve safety, connect communities and create jobs
May 27, 2020 9:30 A.M.Ministry of Transportation
TORONTO — Today, John Yakabuski, MPP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, announced the Ontario government is moving forward with the first stage of widening Highway 17 from two to four lanes between Arnprior and Renfrew. The highway expansion, with four new interchanges, will keep families safe, connect communities, and drive economic growth in the region.

"Highway 17 is a lifeline for travel and the movement of goods throughout Renfrew County," said MPP Yakabuski. "Twinning this vital highway corridor will improve safety, strengthen the connection between communities, create jobs and attract investment to the region."

The government is requesting Expressions of Interest from qualified contractors for the first stage of the highway expansion, which will see a new interchange built at the Calabogie Road Intersection. Construction will begin following the awarding of the contract and completion of the design and environmental assessment.

"Our government is supporting local communities with critical infrastructure investments that will keep families safe, goods moving, and drive economic growth and job creation," said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. "Modernizing and expanding this section of Highway 17 will ensure a safe and efficient highway network for Eastern Ontario."

Ontario is widening 22.5 kilometres of Highway 17 from Scheel Drive to three kilometres west of Bruce Street in Renfrew County. The highway expansion project will help to inform the Province's first regional transportation plan for Eastern Ontario, to be released in 2021.
Dang it, I should have been the one posting this.
Thanks for sharing though.
Don’t overlook the last sentence though. A transportation plan is still a thing even with ONPC. (Okay, I’m more thinking in the lines of highway programs like those published by the previous liberal government.)

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
That's more ambitious than I thought. I suspected they would have stopped at Highway 60.

If there was a section of 17 that needed it, that's certainly up there on the list.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

After reading through the lines, I get the impression that the only thing that will be built is an interchange at Calabogie Road. Will it resemble the (super-2) interchange with Long Lake Road (Sudbury Road 80) or the (divided 4-lane but reverted to undivided 2 lanes on both ends) one with Highway 69? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:58 AM

As someone who grew up in Renfrew, this is news I've waited for for a long time! It was promised when my dad was young...

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
As someone who grew up in Renfrew, this is news I've waited for for a long time! It was promised when my dad was young...
Like, the 70's? I'm simply gauging how long this has been touted.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also, it wasn't until now that I realized how well-protected the section of 17 between Bruce Street and Haley Road has been. I heard that 17 used to go through Renfrew as well, then come out along what is now Highway 60 then County Road 61 and that the current roadway was a bypass route built in the 70's. (Maybe mykl and White Pine or others can confirm...?) If anyone looks at the satellite view of Google map, there isn't a single property that abuts that part of the highway. I'm surprised that M.T.O. knew to protect the corridor even back then.
I guess ditto for Highway 17 Pembroke-Petawawa Bypass too although near the intersection with County Road 58 (which used to be Highway 62), some houses are uncomfortably close lol. On that note, I'm curious how Highway 17 used to get out of Petawawa back then. Like, from Pembroke, I can see that Highway 17 used to follow what are now County Road 40, Highway 148, then County Road 51 (Pembroke Street - Petawawa Boulevard), but what happened once it entered Petawawa? Did it actually come out as County Road 55? Going from 51 to 55 right now requires a hard left turn (unless it didn't back then).

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Also, it wasn't until now that I realized how well-protected the section of 17 between Bruce Street and Haley Road has been. I heard that 17 used to go through Renfrew as well, then come out along what is now Highway 60 then County Road 61 and that the current roadway was a bypass route built in the 70's. (Maybe mykl and White Pine or others can confirm...?) If anyone looks at the satellite view of Google map, there isn't a single property that abuts that part of the highway. I'm surprised that M.T.O. knew to protect the corridor even back then.
I guess ditto for Highway 17 Pembroke-Petawawa Bypass too although near the intersection with County Road 58 (which used to be Highway 62), some houses are uncomfortably close lol. On that note, I'm curious how Highway 17 used to get out of Petawawa back then. Like, from Pembroke, I can see that Highway 17 used to follow what are now County Road 40, Highway 148, then County Road 51 (Pembroke Street - Petawawa Boulevard), but what happened once it entered Petawawa? Did it actually come out as County Road 55? Going from 51 to 55 right now requires a hard left turn (unless it didn't back then).
Before the bypass was built around Pembroke and Petawawa, the old highway 17 through Petawawa is now known as Centurion Road, which is disconnected at the County Road 51 and 55 intersection. Viewing Google satellite view, you can see how Centurion Road formerly went into that intersection. Here is a map from 1962 https://ocul.on.ca/topomaps/map-imag...f_1962TIFF.jpg

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ah nice! Thanks for the map.
Woah Petawawa really has grown since then.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Like, the 70's? I'm simply gauging how long this has been touted.
I'd say early 70s or perhaps even late 60s. My dad was born in 52. I'll ask him sometime.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:53 AM

I lived in Calabogie in 1986-1987 and my dad commuted to work in Ottawa every day. We were definitely expecting a new highway at that time.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:14 PM

Anybody know what will happen at Cobden, eventually? It seems to be the last town directly on the line. I guess another wide loop around it...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Anybody know what will happen at Cobden, eventually? It seems to be the last town directly on the line. I guess another wide loop around it...
The image in this document seems suggest Highway 17 will be realigned to the east of Cobden, on the opposite side of Muskrat Lake.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/f..._haley_NoC.pdf

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 3:08 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The image in this document seems suggest Highway 17 will be realigned to the east of Cobden, on the opposite side of Muskrat Lake.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/f..._haley_NoC.pdf
Thanks! I've been looking for this for a loooong time!
One thing to note is that 417 will go on a new alignment starting from County Road 653. It all makes sense to me now.
Now, is there anything for between Petawawa and Rolphton? I wanna know whether this is just a legend or something real. Edit: After that, I will stop spamming this thread and start looking at what to do between Rolphton and Renfrew-Nipissing boundary on my own (more like with swimmer_spe lol) in my free time.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jun 2, 2020 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I've been looking for this for a loooong time!
One thing to note is that 417 will go on a new alignment starting from County Road 653. It all makes sense to me now.
Now, is there anything for between Petawawa and Rolphton? I wanna know whether this is just a legend or something real. Edit: After that, I will stop spamming this thread and start looking at what to do between Rolphton and Renfrew-Nipissing boundary on my own (more like with swimmer_spe lol) in my free time.
^ No problem!

Here's another image but the quality is really crappy. It sounds like the EA was completed in the early 2000s.

http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/f...NoCrevised.pdf

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:17 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Lol thanks. I have a question though: Will 417 go on a new alignment between Miller Road and Bruce Street too? The first picture seems to suggest that, which comes as a shock to me, because the current roadway up to County Road 653 is totally twinnable (unless crossing Bonnechere River proves too difficult a feat at the current location).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation