HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
I was walking along Patterson creek this morning when I came across 3 Bird employees fishing from a bridge with a rope with a hook at the end. Someone had dumped a scooter in the creek. I couldn’t see the scooter but I guess the electronics are waterproof so they could track it.
I feel like this isn't the first time, and hardly surprising.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:35 PM

Tried one today. Not impressed. It was difficult to figure out how to use (spent some time hitting the trigger before it finally started, wasted a good 3 minutes doing that) and I kept accidentally going into slow areas without realizing it; I didn't understand what was happening. When it came time to park it, the lock engaged because it must have detected I was on a sidewalk so I had to pick the whole thing up to get into an out of the way parking spot.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:44 PM

Given there seems to be a number of unhappy customers, thought I’d share my experience. I’ve tried both Bird and Lime and they’ve been great. Simply walked up, added funds via Apple Pay, scanned the QR code, kicked off, and I was on my way. I mostly ride in the Glebe/Centretown area so I didn’t really experience any of the slow zone issues with NCC land (don’t see how that’s Bird/Lime’s fault anyways). Parking was also a non-issue, I don’t know how people manage to screw it up so badly - based on the pics on Reddit. Overall quite happy. Only downside is the cost, as it appears our scooters are slightly more expensive than other cities, including other Canadian cities such as CGY/EDM. Could be due to the city’s supply restrictions.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
Given there seems to be a number of unhappy customers, thought I’d share my experience. I’ve tried both Bird and Lime and they’ve been great. Simply walked up, added funds via Apple Pay, scanned the QR code, kicked off, and I was on my way. I mostly ride in the Glebe/Centretown area so I didn’t really experience any of the slow zone issues with NCC land (don’t see how that’s Bird/Lime’s fault anyways). Parking was also a non-issue, I don’t know how people manage to screw it up so badly - based on the pics on Reddit. Overall quite happy. Only downside is the cost, as it appears our scooters are slightly more expensive than other cities, including other Canadian cities such as CGY/EDM. Could be due to the city’s supply restrictions.
I was experiencing numerous slow zone issues on Centretown streets. I think the system was glitching and thought I was on the sidewalk or something.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:39 PM

I used BIRD as well, rented at Lebreton and rode it across downtown to the Byward Market. Easy to use, had lots of fun and they go surprisingly fast. No issue, would recommend and will most likely try again with a friend, it's a fun time. My only complaint is cost... at $21/hr it's not cheap.. We used it for about 20 minutes and it cost us about $9 (for each scooter).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I used BIRD as well, rented at Lebreton and rode it across downtown to the Byward Market. Easy to use, had lots of fun and they go surprisingly fast. No issue, would recommend and will most likely try again with a friend, it's a fun time. My only complaint is cost... at $21/hr it's not cheap.. We used it for about 20 minutes and it cost us about $9 (for each scooter).
I think I read somewhere that Ottawa is charging the Scooter Sharing companies very high fees compared to other cities, so that might be the reason why the cost is so high (don't know if they vary from city to city).

In any case, at that price, for anyone traveling east-west through downtown, it's far cheaper to take the O-Train. Go figure.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think I read somewhere that Ottawa is charging the Scooter Sharing companies very high fees compared to other cities, so that might be the reason why the cost is so high (don't know if they vary from city to city).

In any case, at that price, for anyone traveling east-west through downtown, it's far cheaper to take the O-Train. Go figure.
If that's true it's unfortunate, and I'd love to know the reason. I think every other Canadian city is priced at $1 to unlock and $0.30/min. Doesn't seem like a huge price difference but it adds up quickly. But if they're trying to recoup costs due to higher fees then that's understandable.

Already mentioned elsewhere but worth re-stating, the supply of scooters in Ottawa is very limited compared to other cities, with only 600 total scooters being allowed. That's ~200 scooters from each of Bird, Lime, and Roll. By contrast, I believe Calgary has over 1,000 scooters from Lime alone. A few friends have already mentioned that it can sometimes be hard to find a scooter that is charged.

Basically, I hope e-scooters can survive in Ottawa despite the city's harsh regulations and fees.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:04 PM

Not sure how many people have used an e-scooter for practical purposes yet (i.e. aside from joyriding), but this morning they came very handy.

I'm about a 15 min walk from Parliament station and was running late for an appointment early this AM. Simply picked up a Lime scooter at the end of my block (there were also a few Birds across the street) and made it to the station in under 5 min.

It was perfect because the distance I had to travel to catch the O-Train was way too short to warrant waiting for (or inconveniencing) an Uber/Lyft, and hoping that a 6/7/11 bus would magically arrive to take me up Bank St. was highly unlikely. Had I used my own bike, I would've lost time going down to my building's bike locker, etc.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 11:36 PM

We were in the CBD and Escarpment District area on Thursday. We were surprised at how many people were riding the rental scooters. Quite a few older teenagers joyriding as well, on the street and in the C.D. Howe parking garage.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

I walked from the Market to Bank last night (around 10:30 PM) and was amazed how well they are used. Easily outnumbering cars. And that's on Monday, amid epidemic without any tourists.
Lots of sidewalk riding on Wellington and Sussex. We'll need bike lanes there soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:20 PM

Why the rise of the electric scooter has been a bumpy ride (PBS NewsHour Nov 15, 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSE_39mfIc

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:21 PM

When you read the comments on this page, its obvious the City and NCC has set up the scooter companies to fail. Hopefully the ridership numbers are right (and I saw Bird is renting space on Zibi Island, so there's some savvy business partners). Sorry folks who are afraid of change or societal risk... everyone gets the scoots now and then.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

E-scooters could roll again in 2021, says councillor
Coun. Mathieu Fleury says program had issues, would prefer it remain temporary

CBC News
Posted: Nov 01, 2020 6:00 PM ET | Last Updated: November 1

At least one city councillor would like to see a pilot project that scattered e-scooters throughout Ottawa's downtown core and its surrounding neighbourhoods return in 2021.

According to Coun. Mathieu Fleury, who represents the downtown Rideau-Vanier ward and sits on the city's transportation committee, the scooters could be back next year — although his hope is they'd still be temporary fixtures.

"I'm hopeful that we don't go and establish the program [permanently], but that we can continue the pilot with the same amount of units in 2021," Fleury told Radio-Canada.

"And hopefully with adjustments on some of the challenges we faced in 2020."

More than 60,000 people took advantage of the more than 600 scooters placed throughout the city during the three-and-a-half month pilot project, which came to an end Saturday.

Riders made more than 221,000 trips on scooters offered by three companies: Bird, Lime and Roll.

But that's not to say the experiment didn't have its issues.

Fleury called the scooters a practical, green mode of transportation, but noted they were also abandoned at the wrong locations and sometimes driven on sidewalks or against traffic.

One scooter was even launched into the Rideau Canal during the first week of the pilot project.

"You're like a bike, you're like a car. You've got to respect those rules," Fleury said.

Ottawa police, meanwhile, are hoping riders will make smart decisions next year if the scooters do come back.

"Although we have encountered issues with e-scooters, no tickets have been issued," said Amy Gagnon, spokesperson for the Ottawa Police Service.

"In our opinion, educating these cyclists would have a better long-term impact."

Fleury said if the scooters do return, one way to ensure riders comply with the rules would be by upgrading the scooters' wireless technology.

"I believe that in the long-term the program could be updated based on the 5G network," he said. "[That] would enable exactitude of shutting [off] the motors, for example, if a unit was going counter to the lane direction or riding on the sidewalk."

Such exactness isn't possible through the current 4G network, he said.

Already some updates were implemented during the summer, Fleury said, with the scooters' motors no longer working in the ByWard Market.

A report on the scooter project is expected to come before the transportation committee early next year, he added.

With files from Radio-Canada's Lorian Bélanger

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ible-1.5785520

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:40 AM

It really is sad how there is an expectation of perfection for modes of transportation that aren't cars. Yes, we had some sidewalk riding and improper parking of scooters, but from my experience as a Centretown resident who saw dozens of users every day, misuse was negligible.

You will never have full compliance with the rules and if you're waiting for that to happen, this pilot was destined for failure before it even started. In over 100 years of the personal automobile, we still haven't gotten rid of drunk driving, speeding, texting, illegal parking, etc. so what gives? Why are cars still around?

Set up a proper enforcement program for scooters and let everyone else continue to have access to this highly practical and sustainable mode of transportation, which filled a long-existing "last mile" gap in mobility.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 1:35 PM

This year, people riding scooters had a nearly empty downtown as a playground, so riding on sidewalks, down parking ramps and leaving scooters in inappropriate spots wasn't a major issue. The true test will be (hopefully) next year when Covid has been eradicated and office workers return to the city.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
It really is sad how there is an expectation of perfection for modes of transportation that aren't cars. Yes, we had some sidewalk riding and improper parking of scooters, but from my experience as a Centretown resident who saw dozens of users every day, misuse was negligible.

You will never have full compliance with the rules and if you're waiting for that to happen, this pilot was destined for failure before it even started. In over 100 years of the personal automobile, we still haven't gotten rid of drunk driving, speeding, texting, illegal parking, etc. so what gives? Why are cars still around?

Set up a proper enforcement program for scooters and let everyone else continue to have access to this highly practical and sustainable mode of transportation, which filled a long-existing "last mile" gap in mobility.

Just my two cents.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This year, people riding scooters had a nearly empty downtown as a playground, so riding on sidewalks, down parking ramps and leaving scooters in inappropriate spots wasn't a major issue. The true test will be (hopefully) next year when Covid has been eradicated and office workers return to the city.
LOL. I hope things will be significantly closer to a new normal (whatever that will look like), but unless draconian measures are taken (or the tinfoil hat people* change their attitude), COVID will never be eradicated.

* someone could probably make millions selling "fashionable" tinfoil hats.

(sorry for the off topic rant)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Fleury said if the scooters do return, one way to ensure riders comply with the rules would be by upgrading the scooters' wireless technology.

"I believe that in the long-term the program could be updated based on the 5G network," he said. "[That] would enable exactitude of shutting [off] the motors, for example, if a unit was going counter to the lane direction or riding on the sidewalk."

Such exactness isn't possible through the current 4G network, he said.
So he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. 5G is not a location service...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa wants more e-scooters in 2021

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jan 25, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 4 minute read

The city’s transportation department wants to double the number of e-scooters available for rent during the 2021 season as it gives the green light to continue the pilot program for a second year.

There could be enormous competition for e-scooter companies to operate in Ottawa this year as the city, coming off a fairly successful 2020 e-scooter season, looks to only allow three companies to offer the rental service.

Results from the 2020 e-scooter season and recommendations for the 2021 season are included in a report released Monday.

Coun. Tim Tierney, chair of council’s transportation committee, said there are “many positive highlights in our pilot, especially how we managed to put limits in place to ensure scooters would not be laying everywhere and now we’ve become a new gold standard for other municipalities looking to implement.”

The provincial government at the beginning of 2020 allowed municipalities to participate in a five-year e-scooter pilot program and the City of Ottawa opted in by creating a bylaw regulating the use of the devices.

Ottawa’s 2020 e-scooter rental season ran between July 16 and Oct. 31 during which 72,720 unique riders took more than 238,000 rides, according to the city.

The e-scooter rental companies operating in Ottawa in 2020 were Bird Canada and Lime, with 260 scooters each, and Roll, which had 80.

The city in 2021 wants to limit the number of companies operating in Ottawa to three through a competitive procurement.
“Our procurement process to select a maximum three providers, based mostly on safety and issues-management record, keeps things competitive and ensures that scooters get picked up, and keeping our sidewalks clear,” Tierney said.

The 2021 e-scooter season could start as early as April 15, but it depends on the weather and the status of city street sweeping.

This year, the city is interested in allowing between 1,200 and 1,500 e-scooters available for rent in a larger deployment area in central Ottawa.

The city could also expand the pilot program to an area outside the greenbelt using up to 300 e-scooters of the 1,200-1,500 fleet.

There was no word in the report if the National Capital Commission or the City of Gatineau would allow e-scooters on their lands in 2021. They didn’t in 2020.

In 2020, the average e-scooter trip was 1.9 kilometres and the average trip duration was 15 minutes, the city’s report said.

The busiest period was July and August when some weekends were seeing a high of 4,500 daily e-scooter trips.

The peak time for e-scooter use was between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., the report said.

Staff crunched the data and learned the most popular origins and destinations for e-scooter trips were the ByWard Market, Elgin Street and Bank Street.

The city has flagged a conflict in the ByWard Market between e-scooter users and pedestrians. For 2021, the city is looking at only allowing e-scooter use on York Street as a thruway through the market district using the geofencing technology.

The most popular reason for people using a rented e-scooter was for fun or leisure at 76 per cent, according to results from an online city survey that collected 4,448 responses between Nov. 11 and Dec. 7. “Try out the service” was second (51 per cent), followed by “getting to and from social activities” (49 per cent).

City staff concluded that e-scooters reduced the number of short vehicle trips, based on the survey results and feedback from users.

Because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on OC Transpo ridership, the city didn’t get a complete picture of how people use e-scooters to get to transit stations. About two per cent of all e-scooter trips were combined with transit trips, the city said.

“Generally, there is support for the pilot program, but the issues of sidewalk riding and misparked e-scooters that created accessibility issues were also identified,” the staff report said.

The city’s accessibility advisory committee wants the city to require e-scooters to emit a “constant noise” so people who are blind or visually impaired are aware of approaching devices. The advisory committee also wants better enforcement of improperly parked e-scooters.

The city received 250 emails expressing “concerns” about e-scooters, with many focused on wrongly parked e-scooters, sidewalk riding or other bad behaviour.

The city’s rules for e-scooters include no riding on sidewalks or on roads with speed limits over 50 km/h, unless it’s on a dedicated bike lane. If e-scooters must be parked on sidewalks, they need to be in the “furniture zones” near the curb. Rental companies had one hour to address an improperly parked e-scooter.

Ottawa police issued 14 tickets for illegal riding on the sidewalk in 2020. Each ticket came with a $180 fine.

Only four e-scooters were impounded last year.

The city was aware of seven minor injuries connected to e-scooter falls or collisions, though the city also warns the number could be an under-representation of injuries, based on experiences in other jurisdictions and responses to the city’s survey.

The city is considering the possibility of asking e-scooter providers to pay a small per-trip fee as contributions to a city accessible transportation fund, much like what Uber and Lyft do.

The transportation committee on Feb. 3 is scheduled to recommend directions for the 2021 e-scooter season.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ooters-in-2021

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

They seem to have missed a key data point from last year... the number of scooters that had to be fished out of the canal

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:19 PM

This is wonderful news! I was really worried we would somehow mess this up, but I'm happy to see the city expanding the number of scooters for next year. If they could also expand the geofencing it would be helpful too.

Sure there were some issues with sidewalk riding and parking, but I think those types of problems are expected when you're trying to integrate a new mode of transportation into the fabric of the city.

Now let's get the cost to ride down a bit....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation