HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:34 PM
National Capital Region

Confederation Line East LRT Extension (Stage 2) [Blair to Trim] | U/C

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...-lrt-extension

Open Houses - February 3, 4 and 5, 2015
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
R. J. Kennedy Memorial Community Center
Hall A & B
1115 Dunning Road, Cumberland
6 to 9 p.m., presentation at 7 p.m.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex
1490 Youville Drive, Orléans

Thursday, February 5, 2015
Guy Faubert Hall
954 Giroux Street, Rockland

Confederation Line East LRT Extension

The City of Ottawa is undertaking an Environmental Assessment (EA) Study for the extension of LRT from Blair Station to Trim Road along the Ottawa Road 174 (OR174) corridor in accordance with the Transit Projects Assessment Process. This LRT line will provide fast, reliable service to the communities of Beacon Hill, Blackburn Hamlet, Orleans, and rural Cumberland. A total of eight stations are proposed between Blair Station and the Trim Park and Ride.

Highway 174/County Road 17 Widening (http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...d.php?t=175478)

The United Counties of Prescott and Russell in partnership with the City of Ottawa are undertaking a Class EA study for the OR174 and Prescott-Russell County Road 17 (CR17) corridor from Highway 417 to County Road 8 (Landry Road). This Study is being carried out in accordance with the requirements for a Schedule 'C' project under the Municipal Class EA process.

Consultation was held in 2013 to introduce the need for alternative solutions to address problems on the OR174 and CR17 corridor.

Open House information and presentation
  • A general project update including integration of LRT in the OR174 corridor from Blair Station to Trim Road
  • The development and evaluation of the integrated alignment alternatives for the LRT and OR174 widening including the preferred plan West of Trim Road
  • The development and evaluation of alternative road corridors from Trim Road to Landry Road, including the preferred road corridor

This is the second round of public consultation for the OR174/CR17 widening EA study and the first round of public consultation for the East LRT Extension EA Study to review and discuss the project with the study team and solicit feedback.

The East LRT extension is one of three environmental assessment studies underway as part of Stage 2, the City's plan to extend the benefits of rail to residents further east, west and south that will add 19 new stations and 35 kilometres to our LRT network.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:55 PM

I hope they aren't actually planning on building that many stations. They would be significantly closer together compared to the inner greenbelt.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:26 PM

I sure hope not as well. All those stations so close to each other would seriously slow the speed of the train and the time it would need to complete that section since the trains have to stop at every station regardless whether there are passengers waiting or not.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:06 PM

Depending on how they plan on setting of feeder routes the stations at Tenth Line and Orleans Blvd could be interesting.

The one between tenth line and trim is a head scratcher.

The one near the Shankman arts centre is interesting but awfully close to the Place D'Orleans one.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 3:50 PM

I really only saw the need for 3 stations in Orleans... St Joseph, Place and Trim. Anything more really is unnecessary and proves the City has priority for Orleans over all else. And is more stops than the inner green belt? WTF really.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:02 PM

Those stations are ridiculous... only two inside the greenbelt but stopping every 10 feet in Orleans? WTF? There's a need for rebalancing.

I'd cut those 7 Orleans stations down to 5, and then add in a stop at Jasmine Crescent.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
I really only saw the need for 3 stations in Orleans... St Joseph, Place and Trim. Anything more really is unnecessary and proves the City has priority for Orleans over all else. And is more stops than the inner green belt? WTF really.
I think you mean Jeanne-d'Arc as opposed to St-Joseph. But yeah, there do seem to be a lot of stops along there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:19 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. At most, 5 stations in Orleans: Jeanne d'Arc, Orleans blvd, Place d'Orléans, Tenth Line, Trim. Most of these stations will also have very little TOD potential. The fact that all the the open houses are in Cumberland & Rockland says a lot. None in Beacon Hill? Fuck, why aren't we getting a station between Blair & Montreal rd? 3km with no stops.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you mean Jeanne-d'Arc as opposed to St-Joseph. But yeah, there do seem to be a lot of stops along there.
And what if I dont?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
My thoughts exactly. At most, 5 stations in Orleans: Jeanne d'Arc, Orleans blvd, Place d'Orléans, Tenth Line, Trim. Most of these stations will also have very little TOD potential. The fact that all the the open houses are in Cumberland & Rockland says a lot. None in Beacon Hill? Fuck, why aren't we getting a station between Blair & Montreal rd? 3km with no stops.
Yeah, Jasmine Cr. which has a lot of high-rises already (and additional potential) would certainly merit a station more than a lot of places being proposed for Orleans.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
And what if I dont?
I don't really care what you meant or didn't mean, but the station at St-Joseph (actually where Montreal Rd. becomes St-Joseph) isn't even in Orleans. And also happens to be in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Jasmine Cr. which has a lot of high-rises already (and additional potential) would certainly merit a station more than a lot of places being proposed for Orleans.
Yep, lots of density already there. A couple towers, a few mid rise buildings, plenty row houses, & two high schools. A stop there would have instant ridership.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:27 PM

Stations at Jasmine Crescent, Montreal Road, Jeanne d'Arc, mid-point between Place d'Orleans and Shenkman, Tenth Line and Trim. 8 down to 6.

Why is there an open house in Rockland? Last time I checked, they don't pay taxes to the City of Ottawa. I think one at City Hall would have been more sensible.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why is there an open house in Rockland? Last time I checked, they don't pay taxes to the City of Ottawa. I think one at City Hall would have been more sensible.
This EA is being part-managed by Prescott-Russell County. It's an integrated EA to create a preferred highway corridor to Rockland AND the east LRT in one.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
I don't really care what you meant or didn't mean, but the station at St-Joseph (actually where Montreal Rd. becomes St-Joseph) isn't even in Orleans. And also happens to be in the middle of nowhere.
It is a short walk away from the Canotek business park to some residences in Beacon Hill (lots of row houses & condos along Montreal rd) but as it is the TransitWay bus stop currently there is quite pedestrian unfriendly to get to.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
This EA is being part-managed by Prescott-Russell County. It's an integrated EA to create a preferred highway corridor to Rockland AND the east LRT in one.
Thanks, that explains it.

So are we looking at something similar to the RTG contract, with the same consortium widening the highway (174) and building the rail line as part of one contract? obviously, Regardless, I understand the contract won't be awarded until 2017-2018.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:51 PM

Agreed that Jasmine Crescent needs a station. Route 12 is very well used there, despite either a slow ride downtown or a forced transfer. Give them LRT and they would flock to it with walk-up traffic, even if they don't have any room for a Park and Ride or a bus terminal.

In Orleans, they could get away with as few as three stations - Jeanne d'Arc, Place d'Orleans and Trim. But provisions (at least) for five stations, adding Orleans Boulevard and Tenth Line Road - is ideal. Seven is overkill.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Agreed that Jasmine Crescent needs a station. Route 12 is very well used there, despite either a slow ride downtown or a forced transfer. Give them LRT and they would flock to it with walk-up traffic, even if they don't have any room for a Park and Ride or a bus terminal.

In Orleans, they could get away with as few as three stations - Jeanne d'Arc, Place d'Orleans and Trim. But provisions (at least) for five stations, adding Orleans Boulevard and Tenth Line Road - is ideal. Seven is overkill.
If I recall, the southern segment of rapid transit (BRT or LRT?) in Orleans very roughly aligned with Innes Rd., also has a huge amount of stations in the proposed incarnations I have seen.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:12 PM

Quote:
If I actually meant any part of St Joseph it would be St Joseph at Jean D'Arc.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
If I actually meant any part of St Joseph it would be St Joseph at Jean D'Arc.
The bus stops at Jeanne d'Arc are much heavier used than those at Montreal Road near Canotek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation