HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:59 AM
National Capital Region

If you missed these pics in the Confederation Line thread, they do a great job at showing the Queensway widening east of downtown
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarshall View Post
Here's an up to date gallery of photos I took of the confederation line construction:

http://aerialphotographs.ca/confed2013-11/

Starts in the west end at Tunneys, then goes on to LeBreton where you can see the tunnel entrance and the newly delivered digging equipment.

The construction along the Queensway from Nicholas to Blair is pretty evident. It's interesting that they've laid out future features with orange tape. It's like they did it specifically FOR the aerial view.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 8:52 PM

Traffic has now been shifted over to the inside on the westbound lanes from Eagleson-Huntmar.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 6:33 PM

I have two questions:

1) Were the houses along the Parkdale off-ramp demolished so that they could widen the Queensway? What's happening with that empty patch?

2) It doesn't seem like there's much criticism of this project. I don't know which government put this through (Watson or O'Brien), but this is going to make traffic much worse in the city and get more people driving than before. We shouldn't be building more roads or widening them.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I have two questions:

1) Were the houses along the Parkdale off-ramp demolished so that they could widen the Queensway? What's happening with that empty patch?

2) It doesn't seem like there's much criticism of this project. I don't know which government put this through (Watson or O'Brien), but this is going to make traffic much worse in the city and get more people driving than before. We shouldn't be building more roads or widening them.
The houses on Westmount were purchased by the MTO in order to realign the WB off-ramp at Parkdale. Design is underway and nearing competion (there was a pubic open house last April). Additional information including proposed design is available here.

This is a provincial (MTO) initiative that was planned since about 2007. LRT construction by the City basically pushed everything ahead in order to get buses using the widened 417 while the Transitway is taken out of service east of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
It doesn't seem like there's much criticism of this project. I don't know which government put this through (Watson or O'Brien), but this is going to make traffic much worse in the city and get more people driving than before. We shouldn't be building more roads or widening them.
If we shouldn't build/widen more roads, how would we deal with increasing numbers of vehicles on the roads? Be realistic; people won't start taking transit in large enough quantities to offset the traffic growth, so we need to do these things to keep on top of numbers.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:10 AM

Does anyone know when the actual digital overhead signs will be installed? I know there are a couple of locations that have the wired systems in place and the beams/concrete bases ready for the actual unit to be put up, but I can't figure out when they will actually be installed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
If we shouldn't build/widen more roads, how would we deal with increasing numbers of vehicles on the roads? Be realistic; people won't start taking transit in large enough quantities to offset the traffic growth, so we need to do these things to keep on top of numbers.
Every urban planning study says that widening roads and building more of them actually makes traffic worse and increases the number of vehicles on the roads. It doesn't even ease traffic as it is intended, and there are countless cities (L.A., for example) that tried to do this and only made matters worse for them.

What's more, as we construct more roads and widen them and highways, we end up spending more tax dollars for these projects and maintaining/ repairing them constantly. In tandem with suburb sprawl, this and having to extend resources, water, sewage, utilities etc. out to the suburbs means we (mostly people living in the city centre who pay more in taxes versus new developments in the suburbs) spend more money on something that is killing our cities and spending money that should be allocated to other things that we need.

We need to stop building cities for cars and motorists, and we need to stop (allowing) the construction of suburbs. We need to get more people living downtown and using other means of transit (walking, cycling, public transit that relies on renewable energy) and less on private vehicles that use fossil fuels that pollutes and disturbs out environment.

The interesting thing that we now know there is a correlation between number of vehicles on roads/ increased traffic and number of people walking and using public spaces. Adding more roads or widening them worsens traffic by adding more cars, but taking them away, making streets narrower and giving them back to people in the form of wider sidewalks, segregated bike lanes, piazzas, etc actually can reduce traffic and get more people out and interacting with other people. It saves city on money, people are healthier and happier, and tend to know more people. They save money and time.

In order to deal with traffic, we need to stop building/widening roads, begin narrowing them and give them over to people for cycling and walking. We need to eliminate parking (parking lots, garages, on-street) to discourage people from taking their cars. We need to improve public transit, but also enact policies to stop suburban sprawl. You can get more people living downtown and not using cars by doing things like these.

I would recommend you go watch the documentary The Human Scale at the Bytowne (playing tomorrow, Thursday, Friday) to get a better idea of why what the city is currently doing is only going to make matters worse.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:18 PM

Just going to emphasize the fact that the Queensway is not being widened, as there is no room to do that. Rather, the question that sparked this debate is referring to one, singular off ramp that is being realigned.

The widening in far west end and at the split have been in the works for years, and money from upper levels of government were tossed at it (well, the province, anyway).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:38 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Just going to emphasize the fact that the Queensway is not being widened, as there is no room to do that. Rather, the question that sparked this debate is referring to one, singular off ramp that is being realigned.

The widening in far west end and at the split have been in the works for years, and money from upper levels of government were tossed at it (well, the province, anyway).
It's not just Kanata and the split... The 417 is being widened to 4 lanes per direction from the 416-Carling and Metcalfe to the 174, and to three lanes per direction from the 174 to Anderson. The current widening project tied in with LRT is widening to 4 lanes from Nicholas to the 174. There are also a number of operational and maintenance projects and bridge replacements in the central Queensway. http://queenswayexpansioneast.com/project-overview/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Does anyone know when the actual digital overhead signs will be installed? I know there are a couple of locations that have the wired systems in place and the beams/concrete bases ready for the actual unit to be put up, but I can't figure out when they will actually be installed.

The following signs are supposed to be installed by the end of this month:

- 417 WB at Loretta Ave
- 417 WB between Walkley Rd and Innes Rd
- OR 174 WB between Montreal Rd and Blair Rd
- 417 EB between Eagleson Rd and Moodie Dr ***

*** Underground works for this sign was completed under a previous contract; the digital sign was included in the 417 expansion east contract. Unclear if they will install this sign with the initial three sign to the east.

These signs will be installed in Stage 2 of the highway widening since new barrier-mounted footings are required:

- 417 WB between St. Laurent Blvd and Belfast Rd
- 417 EB at Vanier Parkway

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
Busy Beaver

All the bridge replacements in the Carling area already have extra lanes. With the last one done this year, widening west of Island Park will be set to begin soon.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:34 PM

I think widening the Queensway in Ottawa is only natural because of our growth, I don't this it's being done "just for fun" or to promote the usage of cars... It's only natural for a city of our size to have a decent 4 lane highway to move traffic.

Now building a ring road or another highway through the city, that would be another story...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I think widening the Queensway in Ottawa is only natural because of our growth, I don't this it's being done "just for fun" or to promote the usage of cars... It's only natural for a city of our size to have a decent 4 lane highway to move traffic.

Now building a ring road or another highway through the city, that would be another story...
An unfortunate consequence of widening the Queensway promotes car usage, making it worse. It isn't something that is necessary, as it works to encourage car dependence and suburbs, while emptying out our downtown urban areas.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 1:35 AM

That may be true, but while we do the switchover from BRT to something close enought to LRT not to make a difference, we need an extra lane on the Queensway. Ideally that extra lane will be kept as a transit/HOV lane, and not just given back to cars when the transition is done...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
The following signs are supposed to be installed by the end of this month:

- 417 WB at Loretta Ave
- 417 WB between Walkley Rd and Innes Rd
- OR 174 WB between Montreal Rd and Blair Rd
- 417 EB between Eagleson Rd and Moodie Dr ***

*** Underground works for this sign was completed under a previous contract; the digital sign was included in the 417 expansion east contract. Unclear if they will install this sign with the initial three sign to the east.

These signs will be installed in Stage 2 of the highway widening since new barrier-mounted footings are required:

- 417 WB between St. Laurent Blvd and Belfast Rd
- 417 EB at Vanier Parkway
Thanks for the info!

I feel like there should be one EB between Woodroffe & Carling. Possibly also EB close to Parkdale (between Island Park and Parkdale). Not sure if there are more in the works but I'm glad we are finally getting some.

Will they be updated by MTO or by the City.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Thanks for the info!

I feel like there should be one EB between Woodroffe & Carling. Possibly also EB close to Parkdale (between Island Park and Parkdale). Not sure if there are more in the works but I'm glad we are finally getting some.

Will they be updated by MTO or by the City.
They will be MTO-controlled signs.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 5:33 PM

Changeable message sign at 417 WB / Walkley

Noticed the support legs are now installed for the overhead changeable message sign at 417 WB between Walkley and Innes.

I would guess the sign will follow soon...

Last edited by hwy418; Nov 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
Noticed the support legs are now installed for the overhead changeable message sign at 417 WB between Walkley and Innes.

I would guess the sign will follow soon...
Is this going to be a big three lane, full colour compass sign like they use on highways in the GTA, or something else? Or is it impossible to tell at this point.

Quote:
An unfortunate consequence of widening the Queensway promotes car usage, making it worse. It isn't something that is necessary, as it works to encourage car dependence and suburbs, while emptying out our downtown urban areas.
That seems unlikely. Downtown Ottawa has co-existed with the Queensway for fifty years and continues to be vibrant. The widening will have limited impact.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Is this going to be a big three lane, full colour compass sign like they use on highways in the GTA, or something else? Or is it impossible to tell at this point.
Absolutely - these are the MTO Compass style. I believe all new signs are full colour matrix.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

That seems unlikely. Downtown Ottawa has co-existed with the Queensway for fifty years and continues to be vibrant. The widening will have limited impact.
What exactly is vibrant about downtown? If you're talking about our CBD, then no, it isn't. You have people taking their cars to work during the morning and leaving in the afternoon. Otherwise, you'll have a few people at non-peak ours on Albert or Slater catching the bus, but otherwise that area is dead. There are times where you can be the only person walking around.

If you mean Centretown or Byward, I'd would argue that it isn't because of cars that it's vibrant, but the people who live in the area who can walk or take a bus quickly. But prior to Ottawa's dispersal and consruction of the Queensway? I wasn't born then but images seems to show a lively downtown.

But as other cities have found and as we know in Ottawa, widening roads increases traffic, instead of dealing with congestion. "If you build it, they will come" is quite accurate in describing how building cities for cars tends to make matters worse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation