HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubberDom View Post
Thank it not correct, there is a large number of new construction happening in the "Gloucester" portion of Orleans - eg. Trailsedge, Eastboro etc...
You are right that the Gloucester portion does reach up. There is some of that Gloucester starts attributed to the gloucester portion of Orleans but I think subtracting that, the totals will still yield the same overall result I believe-or very close.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was talking mostly about intra-regional traffic. People going from Orleans to Barrhaven and such.
If what is needed is a road for connecting Southern Ottawa to Gloster and Eastern Ottawa (more encompassing than Barrhaven and Orleans), one good option would be to extend/widen Earl Armstrong Drive and have it curve north to intersect with Hunt Club either at a new location or merging with an existing north/south corridor (that would be widened to accept the higher volume of traffic). Options for existing corridors to merge with from west to east are:
  • Albion Rd. While this is the closest and easiest street to connect to, it becomes a 2 lane residential street through Blossom Park and is blocked by the Walkley Yards. A Poor Option.
  • Bank St. One way or another you will have to go through the middle of Finley Creek, creating congestion. It is also already very busy once it enters Blossom Park. Also a poor option.
  • Conroy Rd. (via Bank?), also requires travel through Finley Creek, but north of that it provides good access to both Hunt Club and Walkley. Could potentially be extended to Smyth. A Good Option.
  • Hawthorne Rd. Avoids all developments and connects well to both Hunt Club and Walkley (and even on to Smythe and St. Lauraunt). Is also very close to the 417 exchange for continuing on to Orleans. Great option.
  • Ramsayville Rd. Provides excellent option for a connection to the 417, but forces everyone to connect onto the 417, which may be too far east. A good option.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 11:03 PM
National Capital Region

PC government, Amazon coming to Boundary Road... maybe a study will get back on the radar.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:54 PM
BANNED

The Gov't thinks Ontario ends et Kingston. South Ottawa traffic is horrendous, and Ottawa gov't thinks that is a 2030 priority. The roads of Ottawa are jammed up and the roads capacity are fixed and roads are getting worse. Think there was plan for Hunt Club highway 10 years ago. Should have gone through!! Renfrew extension of 417 also needed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
The Gov't thinks Ontario ends et Kingston. South Ottawa traffic is horrendous, and Ottawa gov't thinks that is a 2030 priority. The roads of Ottawa are jammed up and the roads capacity are fixed and roads are getting worse. Think there was plan for Hunt Club highway 10 years ago. Should have gone through!!
Historically most of the traffic on the 417 is travelling to Ottawa, not through Ottawa, so a bypass would do little to reduce congestion. There may have recently been an upturn in through traffic with both DND and the RCMP movement to the west end, though it may be a short term problem as new (and relocated) employees will tend to live closer to work.

Quote:
Renfrew extension of 417 also needed.
As discussed in the TCH east of Nipigon (La route transcanadienne à l'est de Nipigon) thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The Ministry is currently seeking a design consultant to design a pavement structure for the new four lane highway between Scheel Drive and Renfrew:

https://www.raqsa.mto.gov.on.ca/LOGI...rt%20A_TOR.pdf

This pavement design project is supposed to be commenced in March of 2019.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
South Ottawa traffic is horrendous, and Ottawa gov't thinks that is a 2030 priority.
The Trillium line extension is planned to open in 2021- that should help!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 6:53 PM
BANNED

I think that the govt is building a bypass of Renfrew and has plans for building to Petawawa but they are not building it! Except the bypass of Renfrew. Also, right now the LRT will reach a farmers field. I live near the Transitway in Nepean and right now I know that the govt does not plan rationally. They build LRT to Moodie and not Kanata! What great planning is this? Also during rushhour Leitrim Limebank Woodroffe Greenbank out of Barrhaven and Riverside South is a mess. All but Woodroffe is 2 lane rural roads!

Last edited by Ottawaresident; Jan 21, 2019 at 6:56 PM. Reason: Cus

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I think that the govt is building a bypass of Renfrew and has plans for building to Petawawa but they are not building it! Except the bypass of Renfrew. Also, right now the LRT will reach a farmers field. I live near the Transitway in Nepean and right now I know that the govt does not plan rationally. They build LRT to Moodie and not Kanata! What great planning is this? Also during rushhour Leitrim Limebank Woodroffe Greenbank out of Barrhaven and Riverside South is a mess. All but Woodroffe is 2 lane rural roads!
Why do they need a Renfrew bypass? Highway 17 bypassed Renfrew decades ago.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Ottawaresident probably meant twinning it.

As for an Ottawa Bypass, it seems that there’s still space south of the airport to rough in a 4-lane divided freeway. It’ll be a great connector to Airport Parkway.

Also @roger1818 thanks for the reference.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Isn't it Cobden that needs a bypass on Highway 17?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Isn't it Cobden that needs a bypass on Highway 17?
Yep. Renfrew, Pembroke and Petawawa have all already been bypassed, although the area surrounding TCH’s ROW has been built up enough to have warranted numerous lights.

Ps: I’m actually surprised that this thread’s got revived.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
They build LRT to Moodie and not Kanata! What great planning is this?
They are building LRT to Kanata.
Quote:
Also during rushhour Leitrim Limebank Woodroffe Greenbank out of Barrhaven and Riverside South is a mess. All but Woodroffe is 2 lane rural roads!
Traffic downtown (where most of the people are going) is already a mess. Why would we want to widen all those roads to move more cars downtown to make it even more of a mess? What great planning is this?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:30 PM
BANNED

No, the 17 did bypass Petawawa Pembroke and Renfrew, but the section to Cobden is overcapacity, and the section to Renfrew is double capacity.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:43 PM
BANNED

no you

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:06 PM
BANNED

what is the Ottawa bypass corridor anyway

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy View Post
Which one? The original one became hunt club road, downgraded from a freeway plan in the 70s

The last plan i know of was around 2000, and was supposed to run somewhere south of Earl Armstrong if I remember right.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

No wonder West Hunt Club Road felt like a freeway...

Edit: I don’t find it ever possible to make the connection between 416 and Hunt Club free-flowing to begin with, though.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 22, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:30 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
no you
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
for a few years, there was a sign on Highway 417 near Vars denoting the starting point for the bypass. The idea was subsequently abandoned.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:54 AM

Quote:
No, the 17 did bypass Petawawa Pembroke and Renfrew, but the section to Cobden is overcapacity, and the section to Renfrew is double capacity.
The Cobden bypass was supposed to run on the other side of Muskrat Lake towards Beachburg. I believe this plan is still on the books and will be built when Highway 417 construction reaches that far west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation