HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
That train arrival is giving a heavy-rail vibe. Definitely does not feel LRT/subway like.
That damn bell is so annoying. Was hoping they’d do away with it after the upgrade. That and the door opening/closing chime on Line 1, it’s crazy how such little things can negatively affect your perception of the system

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
That damn bell is so annoying. Was hoping they’d do away with it after the upgrade. That and the door opening/closing chime on Line 1, it’s crazy how such little things can negatively affect your perception of the system
Would not want to live directly next to Corso Italia Station and hearing that damn Bell every time a train comes in

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Would not want to live directly next to Corso Italia Station and hearing that damn Bell every time a train comes in
It’s brutal. When I was a student at Carleton you could hear it from half way across campus, couldn’t imagine what it’d be like living right next to it. Hopefully as more TOD is built, enough complaints pile up that they scrap it. It’s so unnecessary anyways - just a guess but I assume it was a requirement when the original O-Train used to share the ROW with freight trains?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
It’s brutal. When I was a student at Carleton you could hear it from half way across campus, couldn’t imagine what it’d be like living right next to it. Hopefully as more TOD is built, enough complaints pile up that they scrap it. It’s so unnecessary anyways - just a guess but I assume it was a requirement when the original O-Train used to share the ROW with freight trains?
I should ask someone I know who lives immediately next to Walkley Station if it is already irritating during testing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
It's required because Line 2, even after the upgrades, is still a federally regulated railway, and that bell is required by law. OC Transpo can't scrap it. It still interconnects with other rail lines at Walkley, even though it doesn't have the junction with Via anymore

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
It's required because Line 2, even after the upgrades, is still a federally regulated railway, and that bell is required by law. OC Transpo can't scrap it. It still interconnects with other rail lines at Walkley, even though it doesn't have the junction with Via anymore
Makes sense. I had thought Line 2 was now fully independent of other railways with the Ellwood Diamond overpass but I forgot about Walkley. I hope the chime is at least being minimized as much as possible while still adhering to requirements.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 10:23 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Makes sense. I had thought Line 2 was now fully independent of other railways with the Ellwood Diamond overpass but I forgot about Walkley. I hope the chime is at least being minimized as much as possible while still adhering to requirements.
I may be the only one who loves to hear that sound. Our City is finally growing up!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:13 PM

When the Confed line bells ring, it sounds like someone is touching the bell while it rings. Much less annoying. Wonder if that could be a solution (the muted sound, not someone touching the bell, obviously).

I do like the Trillium bell, but there's a limit. When two trains are coming into a station back-to-back like that video, it's a bit much.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
I may be the only one who loves to hear that sound. Our City is finally growing up!
If it was a big city noise I'd be biased towards tolerating it lol. But in some ways I feel like it makes us look like a smaller city. You don't see most subway/metro systems using a bell like that, to me it's more akin to a VIA train pulling up to a small, open air station like Fallowfield or Smith's Falls.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 2:50 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

This last page reminds me of staying at a friends place in downtown Toronto. Richmond W and Bay st. First Canadian Place was one block to the south to help you place it.

Anyhow.. there was a parking garage across the street with a double blind corner relative to the sidewalk. So it had a chime when a car approached. The bedroom window of the loft faced said chime. I cant tell you how many times I would hear this thing go off at any hour of the day including at 5/6am.

I was there to do some work.

One night, at perhaps 3/4 AM, I went across the street with my step ladder and a roll of packing tape. I climbed the ladder and began taping the shit out of this exterior mounted chime box to muffle the sound. Well wouldn't you know it... at that exact moment the lot attendant/security guard just happened to be doing his round. I was caught red handed.

We had a good chuckle about it. He was saying it drove him nuts as well but there was no way he could let me carry on.

That line 2 bell is quite a bit louder. It's not quite as annoying of a sound as that parking lot chime though. Then again I'm not trying to catch some Z's on the north side of those buildings at Walkley.

It's interesting how certain sounds can carry. The sound of the bus stop call out/chime can be clear as day if your house is right in front of a stop. Sounds that are meant to be heard will be heard?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 11:34 AM

Yoi always have interesting stories Ponyboy. At least the train won't be running at all hours of the night!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:31 PM

Trains just waiting at South Keys earlier today. Two single Lints at South Keys, one airport train and one waiting to go north on the main line. Another train was waiting in the distance at Greenboro Station waiting to come south. Fare gates still in plastic wrap in South Keys Station.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Trains just waiting at South Keys earlier today. Two single Lints at South Keys, one airport train and one waiting to go north on the main line. Another train was waiting in the distance at Greenboro Station waiting to come south. Fare gates still in plastic wrap in South Keys Station.
They had wrapped the fare gates in plastic right before winter at all the stations. i assume it was just protective until the line opens. I'm assuming they'll stay wrapped until handover

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:04 PM

Quickly passing by South Keys today, they've installed new way finding in the bus station. Interestingly, they have a line 1 style strip map podium for the transitway levels, not just Line 2

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Crazy talk, I know, but... laws can be changed?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Crazy talk, I know, but... laws can be changed?
I suppose it's possible.... After all transport Canada did allow the exemption to run European spec trains on the line in the first place, maybe they can grant another

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:21 AM

Quote:
I suppose it's possible.... After all transport Canada did allow the exemption to run European spec trains on the line in the first place, maybe they can grant another
Should be easier now that "Moose Rail" seems to have disappeared, don't have to worry about them throwing a fit & gumming up the works.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:53 PM

Not sure if anyone posted this already, but there's a virtual tour up of the new Walkley station:

https://www.octranspo.com/en/our-ser...s-2/walkley-01

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:10 PM

Latest update on the Trillium Line.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo...date-1.6842852

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Latest update on the Trillium Line.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo...date-1.6842852
Didn't she commit to "before the end of Spring" last time?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation