HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Queen Elizabeth Drive closure slowing fire response
Thirty per cent of the calls from the Ottawa fire station on Fifth Avenue are delayed because of the NCC closure of the Driveway

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Sep 28, 2023 • Last updated 6 hours ago • 2 minute read

Thirty per cent of the emergency responses by the city’s fire station on Fifth Avenue near the canal were delayed because of the shutdown of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway, according to data collected by the fire service.

While the fire service is meeting its minimum response standards, analysis of calls at Station 12, at the corner of Fifth and O’Connor Street, showed 30 per cent of them experienced some sort of delay because the Driveway has been closed to vehicles for much of the summer by the National Capital Commission.

“Although we’re meeting our thresholds, what we’ve seen in this area when we ran the data from July 2022, we reported 30 per cent experiencing delays getting to those calls because of the closure,” Fire Chief Paul Hutt told the city’s Transportation committee Thursday.

Firefighters have to regularly adjust their routes because of obstacles such as road construction, but the fire service did its best to look specifically at the effects from the Queen Elizabeth shutdown, Hutt said. Those delays include having to stop the truck and have firefighters move the wooden barricades aside, he said.

The NCC continued to close the QED between the NAC and Fifth Avenue in the summer of 2023 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.—and on weekends in the spring and fall— for all but active transportation use.

But the city says the QED is a critical part of the capital’s road network that was used by about 10,000 vehicles a day near the busy Pretoria Bridge section.

The shutdown has been a polarizing issue with car commuters angry when the QED isn’t open and neighbours complaining about increased traffic on surrounding roads. Meanwhile, cyclists, both recreational and commuters, say the shutdown has made their rides safer and faster.

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe is on record saying he wants the Driveway reopened, but so far, the NCC hasn’t budged.

Hutt told the committee that the NCC listened when the fire service asked that the roadway be open during the night, but added that if the closure of the QED becomes permanent, the service will have to re-evaluate its deployment at Station 12.

“We’ll have to ask, ‘Is that the appropriate location for that station moving forward to serve our residents.'”
I'm in the let's open it back up camp but this seems like bureaucratic maneuver more than a real issue. Meanwhile that plot of land where the fire station could probably be sold for high density housing well into the 8 figures. Less if we want to give some lucky lottery winner affordable housing facing the canal.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:19 AM

Quote:
[B]Queen Elizabeth Drive closure slowing fire response

Firefighters have to regularly adjust their routes because of obstacles such as road construction, but the fire service did its best to look specifically at the effects from the Queen Elizabeth shutdown, Hutt said. Those delays include having to stop the truck and have firefighters move the wooden barricades aside, he said.

“I think it goes without saying, any delay is going to be difficult for us to endorse if it’s going to delay fire apparatus on that location, from a life and a property perspective,” Hutt said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-fire-response
Seriously? Have someone there to move the barrier or install proper barriers that can move automatically for emergency vehicles. This is a very simple problem that the geniuses on city council should be able to solve.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Actually it was quite easy to climb King Mountain during a 'bus/active transportation' morning last fall for leafing. Here's what I did:

Simply park at the P3 area (200-300m down the pathway from there, on Gamelin) and walk into P3 to the bus stop. Take the yellow school bus for 10 minutes, with stops at Pink, Mackenzie King, King Mountain and Champlain Lookout.

The trail on the mountain was busy but not overrun, the parking/bus transfer was super easy and not chaotic (as it can be super stressful and chaotic to drive all the way up and park at the site).

In all, we had a great day. The parkway opened as we were leaving, for the afternoon 'car availability'. The parking lot at King and at the lookout was full immediately, cars were backed up down the parkway, and people looked super stressed, as we casually rode back down on the bus.

Contrary to LRT's friend, the bus is the ONLY way I'll be heading to parkway spots from now on (other than to ski-in during winter, because that's truly the best). It was much more fun and relaxing.

If you simply refuse to step foot on a school bus, I recommend Luskville Falls trail, you can mash your car into the parking area with the million other cars there, and have a great day on the slopes.

My experience is that Gatineau was underused in the 90's and 00's. It was always easy to go up whenever and have just a handful of cars around (except maybe fall). Now it's like every day of the year it's super busy. The park is having a real renaissance, and made even busier by COVID. There's nothing worse than trying to go to O'Brien parking and getting turned away because the lot is full.
Thanks for the details. I’m convinced. Next time I’ll try the bus!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Isle View Post
Seriously? Have someone there to move the barrier or install proper barriers that can move automatically for emergency vehicles. This is a very simple problem that the geniuses on city council should be able to solve.
They already staff some of the barriers, but there are a lot of streets that access QED,each of which would need staff. Labour is likely already the largest cost of this program.

At some point, I would rather they put the money spent on the closure into making the MUPs better - either wider or segregated. Stop paying for temporary changes and invest in permanent infrastructure.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
They already staff some of the barriers, but there are a lot of streets that access QED,each of which would need staff. Labour is likely already the largest cost of this program.

At some point, I would rather they put the money spent on the closure into making the MUPs better - either wider or segregated. Stop paying for temporary changes and invest in permanent infrastructure.
I would love to see this expanded through investment in permanent infrastructure, especially infrastructure that at least links with the Trillium Pathway. The MUP south of Fifth Avenue where the active transportation road ends continues to be dangerously over capacity. At this point, I don't see how opening the QED fully to cars again 7 days a week in the warmer months is at all a viable option. The MUP was outgrown a long time ago, especially on weekends and before/after work.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Closure of QED more problematic as traffic returns to pre-pandemic norms, councillors argue

Mia Jensen, OBJ
September 28, 2023 4:17 PM ET

Motorists and active users are divided over the closure of Queen Elizabeth Driveway, according to a new survey commissioned by the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association.

The survey, which received input from more than 5,300 individuals, found that those who use the QED regularly for active use and those who never do have completely opposing views on the National Capital Commission’s decision to close it.

As part of its active use program that began as a pandemic measure in 2020, the NCC closed a stretch of the driveway on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from Fifth Avenue to Somerset Street from Canada Day to Labour Day. The road was also closed to vehicles on weekends and holidays from May 13 to June 25, as well as Sept. 9 to Thanksgiving Monday.

The active use program is designed to reserve parkways for biking, walking and other car-free transportation methods from May to October.

The initiative has been subject to significant opposition, including from Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, who has repeatedly criticized the decision over concerns about its impact on traffic flow.

According to the survey, which was conducted by Nanos, 80 per cent of respondents who have never used the QED for active use want to see it reopened for driving year-round.

The same percentage of active user respondents want the opposite: for the QED to close 24-7 to vehicle traffic.

“Competing visions for Queen Elizabeth Driveway leads to a very stark split between those that are never active users and those that are regular active users,” said chief data scientist Nik Nanos.

The individuals who never actively used the QED were most likely to say they experienced negative impacts from the closure.

That includes difficulties accessing events at Lansdowne Park, driving to work, and visiting businesses downtown.

In July, business leaders told OBJ that businesses along Bank Street were following the effects on congestion caused by the closure.

“The QED is just a route that a lot of people use, whether they’re travelling through the city or incidentally,” said Patrick Burke, executive director of the Glebe BIA. “When it’s closed, there are more cars on Bank Street. It makes the trips slower and it takes longer for people to get to the front door of a local shop or restaurant. I think that just causes frustration for people who support local businesses here.”

Tim Tierney, councillor for Beacon Hill-Cyrville, said the survey “really speaks to what the general public really feels about this. I think those numbers are going to reflect that people see this as a very big arterial route.”

Tierney also criticised how the NCC handled the controversy over the road’s closure over the summer, and called for more collaboration between the organization and the city.

“It’s unfortunate that the NCC wont sit down with us and discuss this in a professional manner. There’s (been) no discussion,” he said. “People want us to sit down and have a discussion because it’s becoming a very serious conversation . . . When I hear a full closure and ripping out a road, I don’t think that’s a solution.”

Impacts increase as volumes return to pre-pandemic levels: city staff

On Thursday, city staff presented a report to the city’s transportation committee, detailing how closing a section of the QED from Fifth Avenue and Somerset Street impacts vehicle traffic in the surrounding areas.

According to the report, the closure had very little impact in its earliest days, with traffic volumes dropping 65 per cent during the pandemic.

But with traffic now approaching pre-pandemic levels, city staff said congestion issues are becoming more apparent, especially in the area south of the Pretoria Bridge.

The report found a 54- to 57-per-cent increase in vehicle volume at the O’Connor Street and Fifth Avenue intersection because of the closure. It estimated that up to 3,450 additional vehicles per day were driving in the area.

O’Connor Street, which is classified as a local residential roadway, saw a 67-per-cent increase in vehicle volumes, reaching a daily average of 3,000 vehicles. According to the report, residential roads are built to support a capacity of 1,000 cars per day.

In other areas, the impacts were less severe. The intersection of Bank Street and Isabella Avenue saw an increase of about eight to 11 per cent. Several intersections also showed significant decreases, like the QED and Fifth Avenue intersection, where volumes decreased 68 per cent, and the QED and Princess Patricia intersection, which experienced a 50-per-cent decrease.

Phil Landry, director of traffic services, told councillors Thursday the impacts are most significant at peak weekday hours in the morning and afternoon, as motorists commute to and from work.

“We have no concerns on the weekend,” he said. “The concern is during the week, in the rush hour when you have that volume of traffic that’s trying to get in. There’s very limited arterial roads to get in and they’re all at capacity. So by taking this one away, you’re basically forcing traffic to go down a street that was never designed for that.”

According to Landry, there have also been more reports of unsafe driving and speeding in neighbouring communities, including on residential roads.

“There are multiple stops along O’Connor Street where we see people not stopping, or slowing down and not coming to a complete stop,” he said. “This is probably because of driver frustration because of the congestion and additional traffic in the area.”

He added that there are also more tour buses passing through residential neighbourhoods, which he said are not typically meant to support buses. They also received complaints from residents about added noise from the additional cars.

The city also collected active user data, to see how much pedestrians and cyclists were using the QED during the closure.

The report found that cyclists were its primary users, with two-thirds using the roadway instead of the existing pathway. An average of 104 cyclists and 30 pedestrians used the roadway per hour on weekdays, and 165 cyclists and 55 pedestrians did so on weekends.

CitySHAPES director Neil Saravanamuttoo said during a public delegation to council that opening the roadway has made space for more active users.

Current volumes could not be supported on the pathway alone if the roadway were opened to vehicles again permanently, he said: “Anything more than that, you start getting into conflicts. Those pathways are more than double the capacity we have.”

Somerset Ward Coun. Ariel Troster said she’s heard opinions across the board from residents in her area, which is directly impacted by the closure, but also benefits from the added space for safe outdoor activities.

She said the issue was complicated, but had so far been a net benefit to local residents.

“The QED is a really essential active transportation link between the ward that I represent and the rest of the city where we have very few options,” she said. “I will never put my bike on Bronson; Bank Street is terrifying. It’s just very tough. So I understand we have a collision of interests here but 40 per cent of my residents don’t own a car.”

In response to a delegation from the Centretown Community Association, which advocated for the benefits of the QED closure, Bay Ward Coun. Theresa Kavanaugh said the main point of contention is not necessarily local residents, but commuters outside of the city centre.

“This doesn’t appear to be about people living in the area,” she said. “It appears to be about people who want to come, but they want to come by car. To make the argument that this is hurting the local residents, that’s clearly not the case.”

Stittsville Coun. Glen Gower expressed frustration with how the issue has been handled by the NCC.

“We’re in a weird position here where it’s not up to us letting the NCC do this,” he said. “It’s their property, they can do whatever they want. The problem is, I’m not convinced they’ve done the consultation they should be doing.”

https://obj.ca/closure-qed-problemat...c-councillors/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:39 PM

The obsession continues. Mayor "balanced approach" added a campaign style page on his website where we can tell him that we agree with his "balanced" on the QED, i.e. opening it to cars outside weekends and holidays.

No option to disagree. You agree, or he's not interested in your opinion.

https://marksutcliffe.ca/active/qed?q=79495

Nothing else matters but the QED and the Police to him. Housing crisis, homelessness epidemic, a crumbling transit system, the environment. Nope. His number 1 priority is flighting for the handful of people who wants to drive on the QED.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The obsession continues. Mayor "balanced approach" added a campaign style page on his website where we can tell him that we agree with his "balanced" on the QED, i.e. opening it to cars outside weekends and holidays.

Nothing else matters but the QED and the Police to him. Housing crisis, homelessness epidemic, a crumbling transit system, the environment. Nope. His number 1 priority is flighting for the handful of people who wants to drive on the QED.
Skippy 2.0? Or is it Baby Skippy? Can we start a poll to determine his new nickname?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 4:41 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:

He us speaking for the vast majority of his voters and probably an overall majority who think traffic is bad and closing more routes for naked bikers and hippies to pick flowers isn't helping. Maybe they aren't so dismissive of bikers but it's not far off.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 6:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Oddly enough, there's no "I don't support this!" option

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, there's no "I don't support this!" option.
Leiper's just trolling him by copying the clearly biased format.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 6:21 PM

I would like to see the City make significant investments to improve the shared "narrow and crowded paths" so that I can "traverse the corridor safely".
I really don't want to bike on the roads. I want a dedicated network of paths that are safe, get me to where I want efficiently and that I can be use year round. This public "conversation" between the councillor and mayor is not helping get us the active transportation network the city and its residents need. It is just going to exacerbate what is already a polarized debate.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 6:34 PM

I am one of the people that use the QED daily to drive to and from work. It is honestly one of THE best routes to get into downtown from my neighborhood (Confederation Heights/Mooney's Bay), and I was one of the people that wasn't pleased to see portions of it closed. This is because it made Bank Street, Bronson, Main and Colonel-By useless parking lots for 2-3 hours at at time, twice a day. This city seriously lacks a plan B or C for commuter traffic, and it's only more noticeable when the 417 or other arterial routes are closed because of construction, collisions or severe weather. The reality is, people commuting by vehicle is not going away anytime soon, especially when there is no effective alternative for many.

I would use the O-train, but it's still closed. I would use the bus, but my commute is upto double in duration. The bus is also useless off peak hours, so if something came up at home, or at one of my kids schools, I can't get to where I am needed with any sense of urgency. Before the LRT had shovels in the ground, the transitways as they were in the past, were pretty damned reliable, and quick too, compared to what's left of them now.

This city has spent truckloads of money on MUP's, bridges, etc (with more still planned in the future), and yet to some, that's still not enough.

So, we don't have a fully operational, robust public transit system that is hemorrhaging money daily, parts of the transitway and bus routes have been partitioned or scrapped altogether, and over time the size and width of arterial roads are gradually being reduced, or their traffic patterns are completely changed. Where do all of the cars go then?

I am not opposed to having safe ways for cyclists, runners, etc to get around, but reducing options for motorists isn't a good idea either.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 7:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Has the NCC investigated the widening of the MUPs in this corridor, without the elimination of any of the roadway? Perhaps I missed the study.

In other jurisdictions (the Netherlands comes to mind) bicycles have their own generous ROW separate from the roadway, and pedestrians have wide sidewalks. The QED corridor seems wide enough to accommodate all of this. Can't we all just get along?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
This city has spent truckloads of money on MUP's, bridges, etc (with more still planned in the future), and yet to some, that's still not enough.
By this measure, the city has spent mile long freight train loads of money on roads, bridges, etc "(with more still planned in the future), and yet to some, that's still not enough."

The money spent on cycling and pedestrian infrastructure is a drop in the bucket compared to the money spent on car infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I am one of the people that use the QED daily to drive to and from work. It is honestly one of THE best routes to get into downtown from my neighborhood (Confederation Heights/Mooney's Bay), and I was one of the people that wasn't pleased to see portions of it closed. This is because it made Bank Street, Bronson, Main and Colonel-By useless parking lots for 2-3 hours at at time, twice a day. This city seriously lacks a plan B or C for commuter traffic, and it's only more noticeable when the 417 or other arterial routes are closed because of construction, collisions or severe weather. The reality is, people commuting by vehicle is not going away anytime soon, especially when there is no effective alternative for many.

I would use the O-train, but it's still closed. I would use the bus, but my commute is upto double in duration. The bus is also useless off peak hours, so if something came up at home, or at one of my kids schools, I can't get to where I am needed with any sense of urgency. Before the LRT had shovels in the ground, the transitways as they were in the past, were pretty damned reliable, and quick too, compared to what's left of them now.

So, we don't have a fully operational, robust public transit system that is hemorrhaging money daily, parts of the transitway and bus routes have been partitioned or scrapped altogether, and over time the size and width of arterial roads are gradually being reduced, or their traffic patterns are completely changed. Where do all of the cars go then?

I am not opposed to having safe ways for cyclists, runners, etc to get around, but reducing options for motorists isn't a good idea either.
Other than the truck loads of money spent on active transportation, I get where your coming from.

My frustration is with the Mayor defending drivers only at every turn. He doesn't offer up solutions, like "once Line 2 opens, then we can" or "we'll work with the NCC to improve the current MUP network". No, it's a "balanced approach", which means status quo or returning gains from active transport back to cars.

We need to actually add and improve the alternatives. Maybe before we shut down QED more than it is now.

Quote:
Has the NCC investigated the widening of the MUPs in this corridor, without the elimination of any of the roadway? Perhaps I missed the study.

In other jurisdictions (the Netherlands comes to mind) bicycles have their own generous ROW separate from the roadway, and pedestrians have wide sidewalks. The QED corridor seems wide enough to accommodate all of this. Can't we all just get along?
They have for the Ottawa River Parkway paths, don't think they have for QED. Maybe they want to shut it down to cars because it's cheaper and faster than widening/seperating existing MUPs?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 3:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Why is the NCC letting these parkways go dark?
Long stretches of Queen Elizabeth Driveway, Colonel By Drive left unlit, raising safety concerns

Alistair Steele · CBC News
Posted: Oct 21, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: October 21

The National Capital Commission (NCC) is embarking on a major project to replace hundreds of street lights lining the Rideau Canal in central Ottawa, but not before letting the majority of them go dark — and in some places, letting them stay that way for years.

The NCC's Rideau Canal lighting rehabilitation project was originally due to begin this summer and take two years.

The project focuses on pathway and street lighting along Queen Elizabeth Driveway and Colonel By Drive, from Heron Road near Hog's Back Park to the Mackenzie King Bridge near Confederation Park.

On Thursday, the NCC told CBC the project is now set to start Monday, with underground infrastructure work beginning in November and continuing until next spring when the installation of new light fixtures will get underway. The project is due to be completed by the winter of 2025.

According to the NCC, the lighting systems along the Rideau Canal "have deteriorated beyond their useful life cycle" and need to be replaced.

"Large sections of lighting are no longer functional and other sections are at imminent risk of failure, creating health and safety concerns for the public," the NCC said.

As many motorists have already discovered, however, certain stretches of those NCC-owned roadways have remained unlit or barely lit for two or even three years despite those safety concerns.

"It has been a great source of frustration for our residents locally, and of course our office has been getting the mail even though it's a pretty direct NCC issue," said Coun. Shawn Menard, whose ward includes long sections of both roadways.

"We have asked for temporary lighting in the meantime. That has not come to pass."

While the NCC says that "where possible" it has installed new lighting using existing conduit infrastructure, such areas are few and far between.

When CBC counted earlier this week, only 83 of the 229 street lights lining Queen Elizabeth Driveway from the Mackenzie King Bridge to Preston Street were lit. Long stretches of the sometimes winding road were in total darkness.

It's a similar story along Colonel By Drive, where entire sections remain unlit, as well as the Scenic Driveway through the Central Experimental Farm, which is not part of the NCC's current rehabilitation project.

The NCC did not directly explain why so many lights have been allowed to remain out for so long.

The federal Crown corporation said the project is being carried out in collaboration with the City of Ottawa.

In a statement issued late Friday and attributed to public works general manager Alain Gonthier, the city clarified that while it is responsible for maintaining lighting along the parkways and the NCC is responsible for pathway lighting, the NCC is managing the contract for the entire replacement project.

The project involves replacing light heads, arms and bases, as well as replacing and upgrading underground conduits and infrastructure, the NCC said. The new lighting will be energy-efficient in keeping with the NCC's larger capital illumination plan.

Because of its complexity, the total cost of the project "will be known once it's completed," the NCC said.

While Menard said the NCC has been a "good partner" throughout the planning process, he agreed it has taken a long time to get shovels in the ground.

"I'm just glad this project's finally getting started, and in the interim I would just love to put a bit more pressure on authorities to get in place some temporary lighting," he said.

Menard said he was unaware of any collisions or injuries that resulted from the lack of lighting along the NCC roadways.

The City of Ottawa maintains about 76,000 street lights on public property. A project to convert some 58,000 of those standard fixtures to LED lighting was completed last year.

Residents are asked to call 311 to report an outage on city property. According to the city, its standard response time ranges from within 24 hours for reports of multiple outages to a maximum of seven days for a single light.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...dark-1.7001302

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation