HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

20 Times Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:42 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I posted several yesterday in the model thread.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 4:26 AM
BANNED

I hope that Vornado loses its contract when August 2011 rolls around. They've had this site through several market cycles and have always failed to develop it. I hope that Durst gets control and hires Cook Plus Fox to develop a tower here.

PS: I wonder how many entities own the parcels on this site across the street. It would be nice if the city condemned the property via eminent domain and a great project were to rise there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 2:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I hope that Vornado loses its contract when August 2011 rolls around. They've had this site through several market cycles and have always failed to develop it. I hope that Durst gets control and hires Cook Plus Fox to develop a tower here.

I doubt Vornado will lose the bus terminal site though, they've already had an extension with the PA, and given the state of the economy, things likely would be delayed again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Yes, but their extension is through August 2011. How many extensions can they get? They're like a student who keeps asking for an extension to submit his paper and never gets it done.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:56 PM
Editor

At this one it isn't difficult to guess who the architect is...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yes, but their extension is through August 2011. How many extensions can they get? They're like a student who keeps asking for an extension to submit his paper and never gets it done.
We'll see. But I don't think anyone else can do better at this point in attracting a tenant to the building and I think the economy will be taken into consideration.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...lideshow/title

20 Times Square

By Laura Kusisto
February 15, 2011

Quote:
It’s difficult to imagine a less desirable downstairs neighbor than the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but that certainly hasn’t stood in the way of a flurry of development in the area. Following the New York Times building at 40th Street and Eighth Avenue, and 11 Times Square, 20 Times Square will rise above the north wing of the concrete transport hub.

Law firm Paul Weiss was apparently in negotiations to become the future building’s anchor tenant in 2008, but no deal was ultimately struck. The building is 100 percent available as of January 2011, according to Cassidy Turley.

Last month, the Port Authority released the three finalists’ renderings for renovations to the bus terminal and the 1.3 million–square–foot tower that will rise atop it. Vornado, the tower’s developer, said no decision has been made about who will manage the construction.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 9:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

if and when this were to get going, any guesses as to how disruptive construction would be to bus operations? i mean wouldn't they be building pilings into the middle of bus bays? seems like it would be a remarkable feat to build the tower w/o major disruptions.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 9:46 PM
BROOKLYN

This is a project I really want to happen. Like they said in the article: the bus terminal is extremely undesirable.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 11:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
This is a project I really want to happen. Like they said in the article: the bus terminal is extremely undesirable.
Let's get some pics of that. Because I use the terminal quite often, and I never see these places.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Let's get some pics of that. Because I use the terminal quite often, and I never see these places.
what? are you asking for pictures of the terminal because you think it "is" desirable? i'd have to agree that its pretty bad, in terms of design. its just like Penn station serves a purpose but its bland and boring.

they should just tear it down and rebuild. something like Shanghai Pudong Airport.

http://upperclass.files.wordpress.co..._airport11.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
what? are you asking for pictures of the terminal because you think it "is" desirable?
I'm asking for exactly what was stated, pictures of the undersirable parts of the terminal, because I never see them. The restrooms are sometimes filthy (where aren't they?). It's sometimes crowded (in New York, what isn't?). But the reputation of the terminal that I keep coming accross in this thread is of a forbidding place. From what I see, it's basically the same as the former WTC concourse (not surprising since both are PA related). And as I said, I use it quite often. Obviosly it could be improved (again, what can't be?). But hardly that terminal that is often spoken of here.

BTW, it's ironic you should post that photo, because I find nothing attractive about it. It's fine for what it is, of course.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm asking for exactly what was stated, pictures of the undersirable parts of the terminal, because I never see them. The restrooms are sometimes filthy (where aren't they?). It's sometimes crowded (in New York, what isn't?). But the reputation of the terminal that I keep coming accross in this thread is of a forbidding place. From what I see, it's basically the same as the former WTC concourse (not surprising since both are PA related). And as I said, I use it quite often. Obviosly it could be improved (again, what can't be?). But hardly that terminal that is often spoken of here.
like i said it's appearance evokes the same feelings as Penn Station. useful but not pretty.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...oGU7nr7xlf&t=1

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...i/DSC00860.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:25 AM
Everywhere all at once

The problem of this bus terminal is that it is so heavily used that there's no way to just close it down. You'd either have to build a temporary terminal of similar scale and then once that is operational, tear this one down and rebuild...or just build a brand new terminal somewhere else and then close this one and tear it down. The big problem is that both are extremely expensive, especially with all the other projects the Port Authority is already financing. It's quite a conundrum.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
like i said it's appearance evokes the same feelings as Penn Station. useful but not pretty.
If you're saying it's not pretty, that's a different story. Terminals rarely are. It's a step above Penn Station (parts of it), but not on the level of Grand Central.

ezthorson

pmarella

Yu-Yuan Chen

Bobby Placensia

wwwliza05

Deenathayalan

kramchang

antydiluvian

rreed3

nicholas_carey

TrespassersWill

The termnal as we know it is really two different buildings, but here's a look at the original terminal before the addition...

eralsoto

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:56 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Someone should tell those three statues to get a move on it. They're gonna miss their bus.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/110329953

Bus Terminal tower gets $700M lift from China
With cash in hand, Vornado Realty Trust is said to be ready to go ahead with long-planned building, even without any tenants signed up.

March 23, 2011
By Theresa Agovino

Quote:

Vornado Realty Trust has raised between $500 million and $700 million from a Chinese investor to build its long-planned office tower over the Port Authority Bus Terminal, sources close to the deal said.

Vornado has told real estate executives that it would be willing to construct the office tower even without a tenant--a practice developers have all but abandoned in the wake of financial crisis and recession.

But in this case, Vornado and partner Lawrence Ruben Co. could lose the right to build above the terminal if the project doesn’t move forward soon. The two companies were selected in 2000 by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey to develop a 1.3 million-square-foot tower above the terminal on Eighth Avenue between West 40th and West 42nd streets. But the deal has been called off at least once and postponed at least once because of economic conditions. The last extension was granted in 2010, and it is unclear if the Port would be willing to grant another. A Port Authority spokesman didn’t have an immediate comment.

A Vornado spokeswoman declined to comment, and the name of the Chinese investor couldn’t be learned.

Vornado was certainly not the only developer to postpone projects in the recession. Boston Properties shelved two office buildings in recent years. However, sources say it will resume building the tower on West 55th Street if the deal it reached with law firm Morrison & Foerster to serve as an anchor tenant becomes final.

Yet, building a tower without an anchor is a risky move, especially since a tenant looking for brand new space near the bus terminal could move into 11 Times Square, which is more than half empty. Law firm Proskauer Rose has leased 400,000 square feet in the 1.1 million-square-foot tower. Moreover, there would still be room in Boston Properties’ building if it went ahead, and at least two new office buildings are rising on the World Trade Center site.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:29 PM
BANNED

While I don't love the new design, this is still good news. Hopefully, someone will develop the hideous corner of N.W. 42nd and 8th and the adjacent lots. I've been told that Silverstein plans to develop a 1M sf tower in an undisclosed plot on the West Side.
Maybe it's this spot.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
While I don't love the new design, this is still good news. Hopefully, someone will develop the hideous corner of N.W. 42nd and 8th and the adjacent lots. I've been told that Silverstein plans to develop a 1M sf tower in an undisclosed plot on the West Side.
Maybe it's this spot.
I believe those parking lots were zoned for residential in the Hudson Yards plan. But Vornado moving forward with the bus terminal tower is unexpected and great news on so many levels.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:41 PM
BANNED

I agree with you! I'd like to see a nice retail/hotel/rental/condo project rise on those lots and the corner buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals