HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 10:33 PM
Austinite

Saturday 8/28

Domain Tower 2 and the Bowen

Domain 9

183 NB above Ohlen Rd

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 5:39 AM

I like the Bowen more than I thought I would. Yeah it's squat and just kind of looks like a jumped-up midrise, at least it adds some material diversity to the Domain's skyline.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 7:19 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 7:57 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Is this separate from the one that is supposed to replace NXNW or is it the same thing?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Is this separate from the one that is supposed to replace NXNW or is it the same thing?
The one replacing NxNW is supposedly called Saison North

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...8-25471f887a4c

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:51 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The one replacing NxNW is supposedly called Saison North

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...8-25471f887a4c
Nice, so we'll have two new residential buildings right there, hopefully both with more urban design (I haven't seen the design of the NXNW replacement yet). I've often wondered when the Domain development would cross Mopac. I'd love to see some of those retail strip centers redeveloped into something more urban - just make sure REI sticks around, please...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:11 PM

Austin FC/Precourt's "Verde Square" project up for rezoning at next week's council meeting. It passed the planning commission 11-0, so it shouldn't be too controversial. Though they usually just pass it on first reading to start.

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...210930-reg.htm

Item 145

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Austin FC/Precourt's "Verde Square" project up for rezoning at next week's council meeting. It passed the planning commission 11-0, so it shouldn't be too controversial. Though they usually just pass it on first reading to start.

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...210930-reg.htm

Item 145
Jinx! Just posted this to the Q2 thread.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:17 AM
Austinite

This weekend (9/25)

Domain Tower 2 is looking impressive

Domain 9

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:32 AM
Austinite

KXAN's Austonian webcam caught this last week

https://media-traffic-camera.psg.nex....jpg?v=5439093

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:18 PM

Since I live closer to this than downtown, I visit the Domain more frequently and I am always impressed with it. Its it's own entity which you really need to see in person to really appreciate it. I wouldn't call it stunning, but I would call it really cool.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Since I live closer to this than downtown, I visit the Domain more frequently and I am always impressed with it. Its it's own entity which you really need to see in person to really appreciate it. I wouldn't call it stunning, but I would call it really cool.
I wasn't a fan of the Domain when it was first built - the area felt so artificial; just a large outdoor mall with apartments stacked on top. But I totally agree - the area is growing into something more organic and with it's own character beginning to develop. Most of this didn't even exist 10 years ago - imagine what more this area is already on the way to becoming! Local shops and businesses are making their way in, and it's definitely easier to get to Rock Rose from Jollyville than downtown, ha

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:07 PM

going to be very interesting area once broadmoor is built out and transit matures

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:46 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
going to be very interesting area once broadmoor is built out and transit matures
Definitely.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:16 PM

I think the remaining domino to fall is whatever UT does with Pickle long term. There's just so much potential there, unconstrained by zoning (UT can build as much as they want).

Who knows when though, they're on their own timeline.

Maybe if/when CapMetro spurs the orange/blue line up to Burnet road (as some of the initial vision planning for Project Connect explored). A one seat light rail trip between pickle and the main campus would undoubtedly make it easier for UT to leverage Pickle (whether it's for housing or what).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:43 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
I think the remaining domino to fall is whatever UT does with Pickle long term. There's just so much potential there, unconstrained by zoning (UT can build as much as they want).

Who knows when though, they're on their own timeline.

Maybe if/when CapMetro spurs the orange/blue line up to Burnet road (as some of the initial vision planning for Project Connect explored). A one seat light rail trip between pickle and the main campus would undoubtedly make it easier for UT to leverage Pickle (whether it's for housing or what).
Yeah, it's a huge chunk of land in a great location just waiting for (begging for?) more utilization. I didn't realize that they can do what they want with it, but that makes sense. I would hope with more development would also come better connectivity so everything isn't funneled through a couple of gates.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:18 AM

Can anything really be done with the Pickle campus though? It does have a nuclear reactor.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Can anything really be done with the Pickle campus though? It does have a nuclear reactor.
I'm not sure if there's any sort of regulations precluding residential uses within a perimeter. But there doesn't seem to be any requirement for research reactors to be on an isolated campus. From googling, looks like the University of Maryland one is in a building on their main campus, right next to everything else

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...!4d-76.9391677

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:25 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
I think the "best case" scenario we have for Pickle is that they sell parcels fronting the major roads for VMUs. This is also what I want the school for the deaf to do incidentally.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I think the "best case" scenario we have for Pickle is that they sell parcels fronting the major roads for VMUs. This is also what I want the school for the deaf to do incidentally.
Yeah this pretty much seems like the only thing we can really hope for, and even this is an extreme longshot. UT is a poor steward of land from anything other than a status quo perspective.

For example, UT owns "The Crescent" shopping center at Airport/Lamar. It is currently pretty busy after having sat mostly vacant for what felt like a few decades, so it's not a total loss. A developer had approached UT about purchasing or getting a long-term lease on the shopping center to completely redevelop it into mixed use with office, retail, and residential. UT did not want to do a long-term lease or sell. The retail center is extremely dated, with sidewalks and parking lots in poor shape. However from UT's perspective it's a win because it's almost fully leased and they still retained control.

They have so much money that they have zero need to redevelop Pickle. If they do anything, I would think they would move forward on the unused land across MoPac along Stonelake and Braker instead of Pickle. However I fully expect that both properties will sit undeveloped for many more decades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin