HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 3:16 PM

Some more "renders" from the recent Spec article:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Jun 13, 2022 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 6:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

I tried to update the title of the thread, but there's a word count limit:

Eastgate Square Mall Redevelopment | ?m | 10 x 6 fl, 15 fl, 16 fl, 2 x 18 fl, 4 x 20 fl, 24 fl, 2 x 25 fl, 37 fl & 42 fl | Proposed

Since it won't all fit into the title, I figured this would suffice:

Eastgate Square Mall Redevelopment | ?m | 6 fl to 42 fl | Planning

I'm open to any suggestions.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I tried to update the title of the thread, but there's a word count limit:

Eastgate Square Mall Redevelopment | ?m | 10 x 6 fl, 15 fl, 16 fl, 2 x 18 fl, 4 x 20 fl, 24 fl, 2 x 25 fl, 37 fl & 42 fl | Proposed

Since it won't all fit into the title, I figured this would suffice:

Eastgate Square Mall Redevelopment | ?m | 6 fl to 42 fl | Planning

I'm open to any suggestions.
I think that works. I looked at how Urban Toronto does it, and I think a range makes more sense than just having the tallest building listed in the title.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:31 PM
Great White Norf

5100+ units. Now that's some density!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:09 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Honestly, that level of density feels like it would work for a subway line. It feels like it could overload LRT.

I wonder if it will also feed the GO trains to downtown?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:10 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Honestly, that level of density feels like it would work for a subway line. It feels like it could overload LRT.

Overloading LRT would be a good problem to have. They'd have to purchase more trains and run them more frequently

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:

With as much parking as is proposed? Not a chance. I'd bet maybe 25% of the people in this development will ride the LRT once a week or more.

I know people that buy out in these types of areas with car dominated areas and car dominated developments. They scoff at taking the streetcar.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:57 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah I really don't think this'll come anywhere near "overloading" the LRT. A lot of the people living in these condos will probably be commuting to somewhere that isn't near the LRT line. If anything it'll probably create more ridership for the Confederation GO station up the street which might hurry along the implementation of the HSR S Line. If I were the HSR, I'd be planning for this to happen in the next 5 years at least as a BRT-lite service similar to the current A Line Express. The 44 Rymal bus route has picked up quite a bit of ridership in the last few years itself.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Overloading LRT would be a good problem to have. They'd have to purchase more trains and run them more frequently

Off topic, but I'd say its pretty easy to make the case the LRT should have been a subway or light metro.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:30 PM

Bake em away toys!..I mean yes , I agree with the title figures.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:03 AM

Quote:

There's the Confederation Go station 1.8km from this Eastgate 5100+ unit redevelopment. Too far to walk to catch the train if you're hoping to ride it into the GTA, but too short to sit back and let people drive from their homes in this development to the Go parking lot. Hamilton's LRT doesn't connect to either Hunter or West Harbour. This development demonstrates the opportunity to connect LRT to Lakeshore West after all, by moving the East terminus of the LRT from Eastgate up to Confederation by adding one stop.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
There's the Confederation Go station 1.8km from this Eastgate 5100+ unit redevelopment. Too far to walk to catch the train if you're hoping to ride it into the GTA, but too short to sit back and let people drive from their homes in this development to the Go parking lot. Hamilton's LRT doesn't connect to either Hunter or West Harbour. This development demonstrates the opportunity to connect LRT to Lakeshore West after all, by moving the East terminus of the LRT from Eastgate up to Confederation by adding one stop.
They could even add 2 stops, perchance. One at Barton and another at Confederation GO. Those parking lots at Centennial and Barton will get developed and the #2 line could add as a feeder to the LRT.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:40 PM
Hammer'd

The S Line is planned to be an LRT line at some point in the next 25-30 years so if they were to add a stub line from Eastgate to Conferderation, they could at least make it part of the S Line later. Would be a lot more useful than the stub on James North would have been and much easier to construct.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:45 AM

Confederation GO Station area could be next place to live, work, play.
News Nov 26, 2019

This old article ties in with it predicting what is now in the major works.
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...ive-work-play/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 12:49 PM

Confederation GO has been stuck in limbo forever with no clear start date. It's very frustrating for me, as it would be the closest station to me.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:35 PM

The Metrolinx blog from April 30, 2020 for Confederation GO Station says "any further expansion of this station will be based on demand and ridership growth. Metrolinx continues to work with CN on the required infrastructure investments and long-term agreements required for further service expansion into Hamilton."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Confederation GO Station area could be next place to live, work, play.
News Nov 26, 2019

This old article ties in with it predicting what is now in the major works.
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...ive-work-play/
Collins touched on Burlington's stations, but it's taken decades for notable quantities of residential units to be built near them, and the only commercial development I can think of is the Walmart west of Burlington GO (debateable whether commuters flock there, at least more than to any of the other larger retailers along Brant or Fairview)

The advantage the Confederation site has is its near established retail that's ripe for re-imagining and land that can be intensified for more living space, which is already happening regardless of the station.

High time that station gets built though.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d09820d...e-2c062cc919f8

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
The Metrolinx blog from April 30, 2020 for Confederation GO Station says "any further expansion of this station will be based on demand and ridership growth. Metrolinx continues to work with CN on the required infrastructure investments and long-term agreements required for further service expansion into Hamilton."
That very blog post indicated that the construction tender was out and that station construction was imminent, over 2 years ago now. Metrolinx has not said anything about the station since despite no signs of construction start. That article indicated contract award in Summer 2020, but again, nothing has happened.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:45 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
Off topic, but I'd say its pretty easy to make the case the LRT should have been a subway or light metro.
Hamilton is too small to have a subway and it would be seen as cost prohibitive.

The LRT will be quick if given priority signalling. I've ridden the ion in Kitchener-Waterloo recently (May) and never felt it was too slow, for example.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton