HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 3:44 PM
Ham-burgher

It's like a mid-rise with a high-rise growing out of it.

This one will eventually be blocked from certain angles. 41 Wilson will be to its northwest, and you have to think something will get proposed soon for the big lot bounded by Wilson, John, Rebecca and Hughson, and eventually the lots to the southeast along King William.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 3:47 PM

Would love to see a bunch of midrises like Kiwi and 1 Jarvis fill in all the lots you just mentioned. Would be a good balance with all the 30+ towers going in around them.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 5:17 PM

The biggest disappointment from the original photos isn't the building itself but a reminder that the rebecca street park was actually once supposed to look like a real park, and not the dystopian cracked pavement and alien sphered encampment zone that was built instead.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
The biggest disappointment from the original photos isn't the building itself but a reminder that the rebecca street park was actually once supposed to look like a real park, and not the dystopian cracked pavement and alien sphered encampment zone that was built instead.
Fortunately the Wesley Urban Ministries on Catherine Street is closing permanently in the spring.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Oct 9, 2022 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:10 AM

I drove by KiWi tonight and they have the most recent rendering posted on the bottom of the first-floor glass. That would make sense if they're launching sales next spring when KiWi is scheduled for occupancy.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck905 View Post
I drove by KiWi tonight and they have the most recent rendering posted on the bottom of the first-floor glass. That would make sense if they're launching sales next spring when KiWi is scheduled for occupancy.
To go with this I feel like I am seeing more mention of it on social media.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:45 PM

https://www.rosehavenhomes.com/new-c...ecca/building/

Not sure when this went live, but adding link here. Think they would need to be a tad more aggressive on the advertising side, a lot of units to move.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:29 PM

I've been getting ads for this development ramping up. Perhaps now that KiWi is full, they might start trying to sell these. Design District is coming closer too with the July start for tower 3.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:41 PM

Let's hope so, I really want to see something built here asap

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 8:05 PM
Great White Norf

How many units is this one? Condo or apartment/rental?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 9:26 PM

One thing I've noticed is how much better this neighborhood seems now that Wesley centre is closed. The John, Rebecca Park seems Liles sketchy.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 9:40 PM

Not only was the Wesley Centre not good for the neighbourhood, it was even worse for the actual people it supposedly was intended to help. Really glad it closed, and I hope the community in that area can start to recover. Once these condos start going up, it really going to be a boom for the business in that area. Heck, we might even actually be able to use the park.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:23 PM
Hamilton Historian

I am renaming hamilton the city of rectangles.

I swear they just looked at the other render and said WE NEED MORE RECTANGULAR PICTURE FRAME JUTOUTS ON THIS DESIGN AND GLASS

That's all that gets built anymore. That's not architecture - its just bland lego/ikea building. New architecture just depresses me so much.

Almost every podium being built now has that same super boring "I took a wall and punched rectangles in it for windows" look - where is the brick design - the arches, the fine recessed details? Our ancestors coulda made generic boxes too but they chose to add subtle elements to make it look interesting from close up. Even the poorest housing got some interesting design. Our new architecture appears to be as dead and vacant on the outside as half the people milling about absorbed into their phones. Guess they don't expect people to look up much anymore.

My only thing i like about it is those little sorta scoopy shovel things on the first floor. I think what I really hate is that there is just nothing really to look at - it's just a grid of boxes - and for this to be right in front of a park like was said where people are going to look at this more than other buildings, there is just.. nothing of interest - even the tower is somehow even more bland the podium itself. Hell we don't even add lights on the outside to at least make it interesting at night - we just fail in every way there is to fail - typical hamilton. So much potential always squandered.

FEEL MY MISERY! Lol.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 8:55 PM

have seen some electronic billboard ads for this one by Splitsville at RHVP

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post

I swear they just looked at the other render and said WE NEED MORE RECTANGULAR PICTURE FRAME JUTOUTS ON THIS DESIGN AND GLASS

That's all that gets built anymore. That's not architecture - its just bland lego/ikea building. New architecture just depresses me so much.
Hamilton pretty much follows the trends, archways are happening in Toronto right now so expect those in Hamilton in about 2-3 years

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 3:56 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
Hamilton pretty much follows the trends, archways are happening in Toronto right now so expect those in Hamilton in about 2-3 years
oOo we finally get to put the ARCH back in ARCHitecture lol

maybe we'll finally get away from spandrel glass, picture frame rectangular jutouts, mishmashed exterior finishes and oddly spaced and sized windows.. oh and vinyl cladding..

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 3:58 AM

curved glass too!

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post

Almost every podium being built now has that same super boring "I took a wall and punched rectangles in it for windows" look - where is the brick design - the arches, the fine recessed details? Our ancestors coulda made generic boxes too but they chose to add subtle elements to make it look interesting from close up. Even the poorest housing got some interesting design. Our new architecture appears to be as dead and vacant on the outside as half the people milling about absorbed into their phones. Guess they don't expect people to look up much anymore.

My only thing i like about it is those little sorta scoopy shovel things on the first floor. I think what I really hate is that there is just nothing really to look at - it's just a grid of boxes - and for this to be right in front of a park like was said where people are going to look at this more than other buildings, there is just.. nothing of interest - even the tower is somehow even more bland the podium itself. Hell we don't even add lights on the outside to at least make it interesting at night - we just fail in every way there is to fail - typical hamilton. So much potential always squandered.

FEEL MY MISERY! Lol.
I feel bad for the people who end up with a view of that weird park.... I agree on the lights, or maybe have a roof that isn't just flat and unimaginative.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 7:34 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
curved glass too!
I do miss the curved glass on buildings like the old kresgys - that couldn't have been easy to make back in the day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimark View Post
I feel bad for the people who end up with a view of that weird park.... I agree on the lights, or maybe have a roof that isn't just flat and unimaginative.
Yeah it's just.. it's like the design itself is just an afterthought to so many of these people..

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimark View Post
I understand that nobody likes that park and it’s kinda hard to like as it is. I get it. However everyone in this building with a view of that park also has full year unobstructed southern views thanks to that park. That means as much sunlight as Hamilton ever gets. If you’re a fan of sunlight and balcony gardening maybe this will be perfect for ya. The park needs people to animate it. These proposals will do that. Sure it needs larger trees and less asphalt but it will get an update in 20 years?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton