HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:00 PM

Yup .... the design stinks from my perspective .... nothing but a stack of pancakes taken off the griddle to soon LOL.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:29 PM

They tore down the bus shelter, so it's basically just a parking lot now. People are still going in/out of the safe injection site building though so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:07 PM

They've left the demolition area fenced for now, which keeps out the denizens that were previously there. Although I'm wondering if they'll just move to the park when it opens.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:04 AM

I saw a few people comment on DPAIs insta about whether it was cancelled or not, but they haven't responded...

Though if you go to the DWNTWN BIA site, it's still listed, but when you click more information, it's been removed from realtor.ca

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:14 PM

In their most recent instagram post, DPAI clarified that the project is currently for sale. I guess this means its moreso on hold rather than cancelled?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
In their most recent instagram post, DPAI clarified that the project is currently for sale. I guess this means its moreso on hold rather than cancelled?
They messaged me. Essentially the property is for sale, and DPAI designed the condo building and is selling the design as well.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:48 AM
Forever forward.

I do hope the buyer (should it sell), sticks with the same design. I really like it. With good materiality it could be our best high-rise, easily.

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the stepbacks near the top of the tower. They're not particularly elegant to my eye.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:07 PM
Forever forward.

This is the sole item on the DRP agenda for October 7th.

The architect is now Kirkor. I am curious to see if they're going to stick with a similar design or go a different route...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 7:24 PM

Interesting, so this site must have sold. I wonder who the developer is, the company listed is clearly just a holding company. The holding company is Hi-Rose (Rebecca) Inc., I wonder if that's code for "Highrise Rosehaven (Rebecca) Incorporated"? So Rosehaven with a sequel to Kiwi Condos? The architect lines up with this.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:42 PM

new rendering in the NRU. Can we get the thread title updated?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:05 PM

Yikes that's a big downgrade

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:37 PM

I loved the previous concept but it seemed cost-prohibitive to build. It would've been nice to incorporate some of the arch. elements from the previous concept at least. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:24 PM

This new version is definitely a downgrade, but I can see it getting built much easier. It's very interesting how it's essentially the same massing, but without being rounded off on the corners and missing the rooftop setbacks.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Yikes that's a big downgrade
Other than the McMaster residence, I would say that it's still nicer than anything else proposed downtown.

Plus, if it is indeed Rosehaven behind it, it has a pretty good chance of getting built.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

Another crappy example of boring modular design - that's all our city has to offer it seems..

it's as I said before - their gameplan

"ok guys we need a box!"

"it needs some slight angles too!"

"don't forget mismatched windows!"

"oh and picture frame accents too!"

you can pretty much tick all these boxes on every single development. That is architecture in hamilton - not cool elegant shapes or craftsmanship - just wonky boxes with weird windows and odd jutouts and pictureframe elements. And various shades between white and black.

This is such a disappointment. It's almost an affront to look at.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 9:13 PM

woah lunch bag letdown. went from the ripple (unique lines) to the cheese grater!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 9:21 PM

Wink

I like it. It's not all just blue glass. I think it is unique.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:09 PM
Forever forward.

I want to see more renderings (couldn't make it to DRP this afternoon unfortunately) before I completely make up my mind on the architecture here but overall I like it and see potential.

Some specifics:

- I like the white framing look, actually. It has an elegance to my eye. It will depend what kind of materials they use to pull it off.

- I counted 31 storeys so they've either reduced the slab-to-slab height to fit in that extra storey, or that storey is in fact the mechanical penthouse. If it is the mechanical penthouse, I like that they've continued the design right up to the very top of the tower.

- I wish the white framing on the tower didn't have a five storey "bite" taken out of it. Again, I think the white framing element could be very elegant if done well, but that bite in my opinion takes away from that possibility.

- Why does the tower have a section that is extruded by like 2 meters running up the side? Again, simplify. I don't think that extrusion is particularly complimentary to the elegant design theme of this tower.

- The massing in general could be more pleasing. The podium-upon-a-podium thing usually doesn't work out well. And this one looks to be more like podium-upon-a-podium-upon-a-podium. I do like the five storey streetwall though (looks like that is right at lot line essentially) - perfect scale in my opinion.

- I don't know about the competing aesthetic of the brown/grey vertical strips on the podium. I think it would look better if the first four floors above-grade just used the white framing aesthetic. It might also be worthwhile testing replacing the vertical grey/brown strips (above the fifth floor) with the white framing aesthetic, but in a different colour. A deep black or something contrasting would look nice and separate the massing.

- I don't like the horizontal grey strips between some of the white frames. Why are they there? What purpose do they serve?

- The tower aesthetic gets kinda clunky on the corners where there are big white vertical strips. The corners of the white framing on the 2-5th floors looks a bit more coherent to my eye.

- Need to see how much spandrel we're getting here and whether the developer will opt for mid-height mullions which will just unnecessarily clutter the glazing.

- I am not sold on the grade level design, but I can't see much about it in the rendering, so I'll wait for better info on it. It doesn't look like it fits the rest of the aesthetic, nor does it look to be very nice to walk by.

---

It also reminds me of Art Shoppe condos in Toronto, which in general, I like. Although, I do find the podium of Art Shoppe to be too tall, the tower too short, and perhaps the floorplate a bit too big as well.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:47 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Coming from the Ripple design it's a bit disappointing but then when I think about it, this is still way better than most anything already "existing" downtown so I can't really complain.Will definitely be unique to our skyline. I look forward to more in-depth renders & info!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
new rendering in the NRU. Can we get the thread title updated?
Ripple Residence (71 Rebecca St) | 97 m | 30 fl | Cancelled -> 71 Rebecca St | 97 m | 30 fl | Proposed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton