HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:43 PM

Eastgate Square Mall Redevelopment | ?m | 6 fl to 42 fl | Planning

I thought I would be the first to post a thread about the Eastgate Redevelopment. I will update this post with information about the mall and redevelopment. As more information comes, I am sure we will post it here.

Eastgate Square Mall Current:

The mall currently sits at 75 Centennial Pkwy North in Stoney Creek area of Hamilton. Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/1U4kSHWPQLBwBcgQ7

Eastgate Square Mall is a 100+ store indoor mall that has been at the current location since 1973. It is 511,299 square feet of leasable space. The estimated demographics for the 2024 year for the area are as follows:

3km: 63,356 people
5km: 129,852 people
10km: 354,093

The mall has approximately 3000 parking spaces and sits on an 18 hectare lot. It is currently zoned as: Transit Oriented Corridor Mixed Use High Density

What this zoning means:

Building height: Minimum 11.0 metres (3 floors); Maximum 40.0 metres (12 floors)

Parking:

> Under 50.0 square metres
- 0.3/unit; max: 1.25/unit

> Over 50.0 square metres
- Units 1-14: minimum: 07/unit; max: 1.25/unit
- Units 15-50: minimum: 0.85/unit; max: 1.25/unit
- Units 51+: minimum: 1.0/unit; max: 1.25/unit

Eastgate Square Mall Future:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...827732479.html

Quote:
Harrison Equity Partners to Revitalize East Hamilton and Stoney Creek's Eastgate Square

The development is the first of its kind in Hamilton

HAMILTON, ON, March 8, 2022 /CNW/ - East Hamilton and Stoney Creek will soon be home to a new integrated community.

Harrison Equity Partners, together with Retail Ventures CND Inc., is leading the proposed redevelopment of Eastgate Square into a revitalized retail destination and vibrant residential community. The first new community of its kind in Hamilton, this integrated development will tie in with existing and planned transportation infrastructure to convert the 45-acre Eastgate Square site into an accessible and affordable destination. The area is already well connected with easy rail and road access and will further benefit from the new Centennial GO train station and the soon-to-be-built Hamilton Light Rail Transit (LRT).

Eastgate Square is a well established retail location offering a broad range of daily shopping through its many retailers including Fortino's, Shoppers Drug Mart, LCBO, The Beer Store, Winners, Home Sense, SportChek, Dollarama, Kitchen Stuff + and many more fine merchants. The proposed redevelopment will maintain its market leading position by adding a focused array of existing and new shops and services to cater to the local community's daily needs with a focus on healthcare, wellness, pet care and similar core services inside a re-imagined and re-designed complex.

Over time, this revitalized addition to East Hamilton and Stoney Creek will also provide the community with numerous and varied housing options. The entire development will be designed to take advantage of the large, existing and well-defined site to seamlessly integrate with the broader local community. It will also be conveniently located close to a number of transit options, including the Hamilton LRT and the Centennial GO, bringing more service to Hamilton.

Through the redevelopment of the existing commercial zone, adding both retail and residential options, the development aligns with the city's strategic plan and Official Plan which aims to intensify and develop higher density neighborhoods in urban areas. This strategy reduces sprawl, helping to leave farmland intact, while maximizing the utility of existing and planned transportation infrastructure.

"We are very pleased to be leading the redevelopment of Eastgate Square," says Mark H. Newman, CEO and Founder of Harrison Equity Partners. "We believe that with a careful appreciation of the local community's needs we can make Eastgate Square the kind of special place where people will come to live, work, shop and be together."

"This is an exciting, visionary plan that will not only restore Eastgate Square to a regional destination for retail shopping but also transform it into a brand new thriving community," says Mayor Fred Eisenberger. "This is a forward-reaching model of the future evolution of large retail complexes that will no doubt gain attention from across North America and it is exciting that it is happening here in our community."

harrisonequitypartners.ca
Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastgate_Square

https://www.bentallgreenoak.com/pdf/...ate-square.pdf

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Mar 9, 2022 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:54 PM

Point of error: it is named the new Centennial GO Station when it is actually the Confederation GO Station.
The Centennial GO Station is in Markham, ON

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 6:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Point of error: it is named the new Centennial GO Station when it is actually the Confederation GO Station.
The Centennial GO Station is in Markham, ON
I think that's going to be a continuing issue. I've caught myself calling it "Centennial" on occasion!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think that's going to be a continuing issue. I've caught myself calling it "Centennial" on occasion!
..oh snap..I did myself too just when looking it up. Hah, a continuing issue for certain.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 12:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Metrolinx currently plans to use "East Harbour" for a new Toronto project. There won't be any confusion about that either.

https://www.metrolinx.com/en/greater...ansit-hub.aspx
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/c...arbour-station

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:38 PM

Really hopeful that this turns into a good project. It's a pretty sizeable hunk of land (http://mapfrappe.com/appoutline.html?show=62338) and can be a lot more profitable for the city with some intensification.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:51 PM

We have:

Centennial GO - Markham

Centennial Parkway - Hamilton, On which, is Confederation GO

Then there's Confederation Parkway in Mississauga, which is a pretty major arterial road.. so that won't be confusing at all either.

Then you have West Harbour GO for Hamitlon and East Harbour GO for Toronto, as well as the oddity that West Harbour is effectively how most will take the train to Hamilton despite "Hamilton Centre GO" by name suggesting it's the primary GO station..

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
We have:

Centennial GO - Markham

Centennial Parkway - Hamilton, On which, is Confederation GO

Then there's Confederation Parkway in Mississauga, which is a pretty major arterial road.. so that won't be confusing at all either.

Then you have West Harbour GO for Hamitlon and East Harbour GO for Toronto, as well as the oddity that West Harbour is effectively how most will take the train to Hamilton despite "Hamilton Centre GO" by name suggesting it's the primary GO station..
I call Hamilton Go Centre "Hunter Go".

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 1:17 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Still, not as much of a mess as when Ottawa’s two train lines were the Trillium Line and the Confederation Line and the Confederation Station on the Trillium Line was nowhere near the Confederation Line transfer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:44 PM

This proposal should serve as a model for the redevelopment of the Centre on Barton which can’t come soon enough.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
This proposal should serve as a model for the redevelopment of the Centre on Barton which can’t come soon enough.
I mean. Let's wait and see what is proposed lmao

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:03 PM

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/wp-co...3-1170x757.png[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2022/06/eastgate-square-submit-first-concepts-for-redevelopment-including-a-42-storey-tall-building/[/URL]

Preliminary planning documents have been released for the redevelopment of the Eastgate Square mall in Hamilton. This will be directly adjacent to the terminal station for the LRT. Most of the existing mall would be retained, with the long vacant old Sears box demolished and redeveloped.

16 development blocks, with buildings of up to 42 storeys in height. The first few sites are pre-zoned and could proceed fairly quickly, with existing as-of-right zoning for up to 20 storeys already in place. A total of 5,162 units are proposed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:10 PM
Ham-burgher

24 and 25 storeys!!!!

37?

42???

Bring it. It'll probably be scaled back somewhat, but that's a huge plot of land and residents can make great use of LRT and the Confederation GO station given frequent bus service to it.

Expect the usual complaints when this does get submitted. Traffic. Plus parking. Plus this being out of character for the area.

From the article:
"Residents of the neighbouring single-family attached houses to the west of the mall property have opposed past minor variance applications filed by the Eastgate Square due to concerns regarding traffic impacts." I'd love to know what applications, because aside from the new wing where Walmart used to be, the mall has changed very little in recent decades.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:36 PM
Forever forward.

So far the most ambitious, well thought out mall redevelopment plan brought forward in Hamilton… there’s room for improvement, but this is much better than I had anticipated. Bring it on!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 10:23 PM
Burger Connoisseur

This is incredible density absolutely LOVE this news!!! And it makes perfect sense for this location being the end of the line for LRT and so close to the GO station QEW and Redhill!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 10:57 PM

Holy shit... that's a fuck-ton of buildings.

Not that I care, but I guess parking for the mall will only be on the Delewana Dr. side.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 11:24 PM

They hired a decent toronto architect, so it’s no surprise it’s better than the rest we’ve seen in Hamilton so far. I hope BDPQ gets more work here to be honest.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 7:21 PM

I saw quadrangle and was super excited to see what it will actually look like.

Also can we talk about the ridiculous amenity requirements? With 5126 units assumed to all be under 50sq.m. (just for argument sake) that would mean over 222,000 sq.ft. of private amenity space. I would much prefer to see the city work with the builders to integrate a community space, maybe a public pool, library, and work with a private gym to offer a small discount gym at the base floor than what will likely be crappy pool, gym and amenity space that is for private owners/renters only. It would go a long way to selling developments like this to surround communities and the needs of these communities for more public spaces.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 7:36 PM

The poster above makes some great points regarding an integrated communal space. If they're focused on making this a grand destination area, community centres and libraries are integral along with well designed green space.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 1:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Speaking to The Spectator, Ward 5 Coun. Russ Powers said based on recent conversations with developers, conceptual plans estimate the mall’s overall footprint will be reduced to around 300,000 square feet from its current size of approximately 511,300 square feet.

The site could see the construction of at least 5,162 residential units over the span of 10 development blocks — with building heights ranging from three storey townhomes along Kenora Avenue to residential towers reaching at least 42 storeys on the southwestern portion of the property.

The plans propose a new public street that would connect Kenora Avenue and Centennial Parkway North and as well as the creation of a small park. There will also be approximately 3,481 new parking spaces.

A timeline for the project remains unknown, but the redevelopment is set to be completed in three phases.

A bulk of the proposed development concept can move through the city’s site plan approvals process, while other portions will require both zoning bylaw and official plan amendments, according to the planning firm.

But, that work likely won’t begin for at least a couple of years, said Powers.

“It’s not going to happen overnight,” said Powers, who estimated the demolition of the portion of the project will get underway in 2024. “It’s going to be slow and progressive.”
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...uare-mall.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton