HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Have you ever been to Chatham, ON?
Yes 37 42.05%
No 51 57.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Fuck regional shit in the national section.
First it was Sarnia Ontario and now its Chatham.
I don't post Castlegar shit in the national section because it's not national.
You sound upset that Ontario towns get more attention than BC towns. Our province is just more important and therefore, commands more attention. Suck it up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:

I agree, though I wouldn't use such salty language. I got in shit last time.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
One of the things that makes Chatham interesting is that it was a fairly major centre back in the 1800s, as you can see from the extensive Victorian architecture. It hasn't grown much at all in the past 50-60 years. The population has been stuck around 40,000 since the 70s.

Being over 40,000 would make it one of the largest centres in most provinces, but in Southern Ontario, Chatham is largely lost in the shuffle. Practically forgotten by both the provincial and federal governments.
It's interesting to note how it's retained its agricultural-based heritage and vibe.

It just got sandwiched between London and Windsor, who ended up as the regional centres both for government and manufacturing. As agricultural populations stagnated, Chatham reflected this trend.

To its credit, it didn't suffer the declines of Brantford, nor the bulldoze-and-start-fresh 'modernity' movements that decimated many other mid-sized cities.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:32 PM

Amazingly, agriculture is a $2 billion + per year business in Chatham-Kent. By far the largest economic driver.

Another weird fact: Wheatley (just SW of Chatham) is the world's largest freshwater fishery. Erieau used to be a major fishing port too. You can still get fresh caught fish in Erieau, but most fishing and processing is now consolidated in Wheatley

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:53 PM
recession proof

They sell frozen Lake Trout packaged in Wheatley at Central Fresh Market. Next time I get down to that region I'm going to Windsor then back to KW via Harrow/Colchester/Kingsville/Leamington/Point Pelee/Wheatley. I was back in Orillia the other day and still think it's more interesting than Chatham. Chatham is like a mix of East Hamilton, Wortley Village (London) and Stratford without the theatre crowd.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Strange, I was sure you would have taken this opportunity to remind us all that Bo Horvat from nearby Rodney Ontario plays for the Vancouver Canucks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 11:04 AM

Ahhh, Rodney Ontario…

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 1:16 PM

Like watching a bit of Letterkenney.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 5:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I obviously wasn't going to bring it up in that thread but we had a thread on the Canada forum recently about a crane falling in BC. Don't think anyone complained about that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:34 PM

Denscity's and Canspice's posts are a very good example of why I made my last Sarnia and Toronto photothreads in the Ontario and Toronto subforums. From now on, I will be posting my photothreads in those subforums only, unless of course they are outside of Ontario, especially Toronto, or the photos are meant to be a negative portrayal of Ontario, especially Toronto.

I did take a whole bunch of photos of the demolition of Bayside Mall in Sarnia throughout last month. It was just regular documentary kind of thing, I am not sure if that falls under positive or negative. Maybe I could post in them in the regular My City Photos section, but more likely it's just more "regional shit". Like, the demolition of some mall in Sarnia, who outside of Sarnia gives a shit, right? So I'll probably just keep them in the Ontario section.

I am also planning to take some night photos of Mississauga City Centre soon, because I realized recently I have never photographed MCC at night all these years, and it is a good reason to go outside while it is still too hot during the day. These photos will probably lean more to the positive side, so I will definitely keep them strictly contained within the Toronto section, to avoid sparking outrage from the Rest of Canada. Even the people at Urbantoronto couldn't stand my Mississauga photos, or "incessant boosterism" as they would call it, so I don't even want to imagine the reaction that night photos of MCC would get if shown to a national audience as on SSP.

I'm trying to think of some way I can portray the Toronto area negatively that can satisfy the non-Torontonians, or least be negative enough not to minimize the anger that photos will spark. It's hard to think of ideas because I don't have an ultra-wide lens for my new camera yet. Ultra-wide was the technique I used with my old camera for my Snout Houses and Heartland Town Centre threads, make a bad places look even worse. I have been trying to take advantage of telephoto by doing a series on the architecture in the new industrial parks in the suburbs, and I made sure to select the most boring buildings in the most boring locations possible near my house, so that would definitely a good candidate for a regular My City Photo thread. But it's still ongoing, maybe not until end of summer at least.

Btw, speaking of photography, I think it was Flar's photothreads that helped inspire me to begin with. I remember seeing one of Hamilton? It's good to see another thread, despite the inevitable outrage from the ROC.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:43 PM

Loved seeing those photos of Chatham. My ancestors hail from there and apparently were the premier business family in the 1850s and built many prominent structures. But I've never been there and had no idea what it really looked like. I see there's some really great and well-maintained old heritage architecture similar to here in Victoria's Old Town. And no shortage of pot shops in them, too!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 9:14 PM

Chatham-Kent does have just over 100,000 so Chatham is a regional centre for those people. It has a campus of Windsor's St.Clair College and a major campus of U.Guelph in Ridgetown which is an agricultural school.

I think it's cool when we have threads about lesser known places. We are overwhelmingly urbanites and see things from that perspective but the reality is that only half the population lives in our 6 largest metros.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 9:44 PM
The New Republic

I've never been to Chatham. Judging solely on what's been posted, it looks marginally nicer than I expected. Small cities are sort of in this 'no man's land' imo. They don't have the amenities and urbanity of a big city but they don't have the quaint charm of a small town either. It might be a nice place to go die so it has that going for it.

London and KW don't really have the amenities and urbanity of a big city either but at least you can see them developing that way in 2-3 generations time.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:47 AM
recession proof

I passed a nightclub on the edge of downtown Chatham: what's the nightlife like here?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:23 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
I voted yes. Played baseball there in 1979. Does that count? Very nice pictures.
This forum needs more circle33.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:21 PM
Registered Drug User

Every time I muse about real estate southwest of London I come across things like this that give me second thoughts about the local culture.

Quote:
Chatham anti-lockdown activist announces she has COVID-19
Liz Vallee was a candidate for the People's Party of Canada in the recent federal election

An anti-lockdown activist who is facing charges under Ontario’s emergency COVID law for organizing a Chatham rally revealed via social media that she has COVID-19.

Liz Vallee, who had a representative speak on her behalf during a brief court appearance Tuesday morning for charges under the Reopening Ontario Act, posted a public video to her Facebook page Monday night that confirmed she and her two children had tested positive for the virus.

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.co...ation_with_ads

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:14 AM
recession proof

There's a car for sale in Chatham I kind of want: is it worth driving 2 hours just to check it out hmm.

What I liked about the area between Chatham, Windsor and Sarnia is it feels American. Like Doug Ford, Trudeau etc are just useless distant fools. People are so friendly, loud and outgoing, especially in Windsor and Sarnia. Poor people drive older '90s American cars. I saw some cars I'd forgotten about: Mercury Villagers!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:37 AM

CK really is coming into it's own as is Elgin County. They offer a quieter lifestyle, mild winters, interesting architecture, great lakeside towns and parks, and yet are within easy reach of London & Windsor.

They are really beginning to draw the retiree crowds and Torontonians wanting to escape the mad rush. They are experiencing booms in their tourist incomes as well and much of this is due to the soaring prices in Cottage Country and their new wineries and very nice little towns.

I like being able to talk about some of our smaller cities that don't get the respect they deserve.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:41 AM

^ There is definitely an influx of Toronto people moving to the extreme southwest and I'm not that enthused about it to be honest. As urbandreamer said, this part of Ontario just feels different than the rest of the province and that's the way I like it. Don't need a bunch of Toronto folk barging in.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:59 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
There's a car for sale in Chatham I kind of want: is it worth driving 2 hours just to check it out hmm.

What I liked about the area between Chatham, Windsor and Sarnia is it feels American. Like Doug Ford, Trudeau etc are just useless distant fools. People are so friendly, loud and outgoing, especially in Windsor and Sarnia. Poor people drive older '90s American cars. I saw some cars I'd forgotten about: Mercury Villagers!
Very friendly to you and me. Probably not so much for Caltrane cruising in his nice car. There's certainly more openness and honesty which is a refreshing reprieve from the Trudeau loving Libtards that react as ignorant including racist in their various woke causes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada