HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 8:01 PM
There is always a way

^ Honestly Bowman hasn't been terrible, quite good on road renewal as mentioned, but I think the real gripe has been his lack of vision and ability to sell a vision to the city of what it could be. He hasn't really articulated a path forward, preferring to focus instead on maintenance, which is needed - and obviously so - but should not form the sole aim of the city. If only the province and city would talk to each other a little more. I think that what is needed is not only road renewal, but a significant upgrade to many segments of road, a comprehensive and significant public transit upgrade (grade separated at the very least for the core of the system, rail-based is preferable), and a unified zoning strategy for the capital region that acknowledges the need for suburban development but incentivizes and prioritizes densification in the older core neighbourhoods (especially downtown, Point Douglas, the Exchange, and the West End).

It would also be nice to see a mayor who is willing to stand up to the unions, because we spend the highest proportion of our budget in Canada on so-called public safety, with no obvious advantages based on the money spent.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 9:04 PM

My opinion on Brian B. He is exactly the mediocre type mayor he was expected to be. He's no scandalous Sam Katz. And that's exactly what Winnipeg needed. While Katz did get stuff done that he pledged to (there's a thread somewhere on SSP about it, impressive list), he has the obvious ethical and other issues still before the courts.

Bowman had vision, but no power to get it done. He wanted 6 transit corridors built. That's still in the planning phases. He's done well on the road renewals.. Voters wanted roads, they got roads.

And I feel he's actually stood up to the Police union. Hence why they've been crying to the press for years now. But there's been no real progress on reform of Union agreements. Not that it was his mandate from election. And with the fire union, they're in a pickle as they didn't even put an offer forward, so have nothing to negotiate from. Those 2 are huge issues in terms of costs to taxpayers. Salaries of Police and Fire.

The other issue is funding major projects of all sorts. The City and Province need to do better in getting federal dollars. And the two bickering Brians do not help at all. I mostly blame Brian P for that cause he's a dick, but that's my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
My opinion on Brian B. He is exactly the mediocre type mayor he was expected to be. He's no scandalous Sam Katz. And that's exactly what Winnipeg needed. While Katz did get stuff done that he pledged to (there's a thread somewhere on SSP about it, impressive list), he has the obvious ethical and other issues still before the courts.

Bowman had vision, but no power to get it done. He wanted 6 transit corridors built. That's still in the planning phases. He's done well on the road renewals.. Voters wanted roads, they got roads.

And I feel he's actually stood up to the Police union. Hence why they've been crying to the press for years now. But there's been no real progress on reform of Union agreements. Not that it was his mandate from election. And with the fire union, they're in a pickle as they didn't even put an offer forward, so have nothing to negotiate from. Those 2 are huge issues in terms of costs to taxpayers. Salaries of Police and Fire.

The other issue is funding major projects of all sorts. The City and Province need to do better in getting federal dollars. And the two bickering Brians do not help at all. I mostly blame Brian P for that cause he's a dick, but that's my opinion.
He wanted six transit corridors built but could hardly run the system we have now with overcrowded buses, lack of buses for existing routes, terrible reliability and a shortage of drivers but yeah let’s expand on a poor transit system while we are at it!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:45 AM

From my point of view B. Bowman has literally zero results as a mayor. He promised 6 transit corridors but we have just one and other even do not have a detailed design so we can ask feds for money to get them built. He promised to open P&M, but failed miserably with this vote. Neither Arlington or Louise bridges are replaced. Neither Kenanston, CPT or Marion projects are started. He could not get any penny from Pallister for public transit.

A lot of people mentioned money being spent on roads, but it is not Bowman’s win, but Pallister’s. In a way I like Pallister more than Bowman because although he does wrong things (like cuts on health care and public transit) at least he does what he promised.

Again may be it is not only his sole fault, but also because of NIMBY councillors we have, but still it is basically no results at all for at least last 5 years

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
From my point of view B. Bowman has literally zero results as a mayor. He promised 6 transit corridors but we have just one and other even do not have a detailed design so we can ask feds for money to get them built. He promised to open P&M, but failed miserably with this vote. Neither Arlington or Louise bridges are replaced. Neither Kenanston, CPT or Marion projects are started. He could not get any penny from Pallister for public transit.

A lot of people mentioned money being spent on roads, but it is not Bowman’s win, but Pallister’s. In a way I like Pallister more than Bowman because although he does wrong things (like cuts on health care and public transit) at least he does what he promised.

Again may be it is not only his sole fault, but also because of NIMBY councillors we have, but still it is basically no results at all for at least last 5 years
Your comparison of the two Brian's glosses over two major issues: debt capacity and political structure.

On debt capacity, the City must balance its budget each year (e.g. cannot run a deficit) and its total debt capacity is capped at around 90% of its total revenue as this is a policy set by council. At the provincial level, the province can run operating deficits indefinitely and can have outstanding debts in excess of 100% of total revenue. Provincial deficits are largely a function of political appetite and of course, credit rating agencies in New York. On this front, the province has a lot more fiscal capacity to get stuff done if they so choose. In contrast, the city's balanced budget grows by little more than 3% per year (barely above inflation), leaving very little funding to do anything other than maintain the status quo. The City is a lot more beholden to provincial and political winds, which dictate tri-lateral funding agreements, and has little capacity to do anything on its own.

As for political structure, City council is much different than the provincial legislature. There are no political parties at a civic level which leads to little cohesion. Many councilors are ward-focused, not city builders, leading to a "what's in it for me/my ward" attitude for most policies. Councilors don't vote "with the party", they vote based on personal conviction or ward preferences. For better or for worse, this leads to more road blocks and less cohesion at a civic level, making it hard for initiatives of one councilor or mayor to pass if they don't have agreement from their colleagues. At a provincial level, if we elect a majority government, they have enough political power to railroad through any policies they so chose that tend to match the flavor of the governing party. There isn't much any opposing MLA can do to stop the political process.

These two key differences really make it unfair to compare provincial political performance to the City's performance.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:00 AM

I notice these lots come for sale in the future Bishop Grandin right of way, What's up with that? The City doesn't own this land? They're 100k ish each.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I notice these lots come for sale in the future Bishop Grandin right of way, What's up with that? The City doesn't own this land? They're 100k ish each.

You’ve got to be kidding me... you would think the city has owned this for decades. Hopefully it’s just an error and they are meant to be in bridgwater.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:42 PM

^ Isn't it a utility corridor at the very least? That seems like it has to be an error.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:46 PM

The listing for a couple of those lots read,

"Great investment for future development. Almost one acre (0.8 Acre +/-), vacant lot within city limits in south Winnipeg. The land is currently under agriculture zoning in City of Winnipeg and located between Whyte Ridge and Bridgewater Lakes. No immediate development plans. Rare to find."

"Lot 37 for sale Ideal to buy & Hold investment for right person.Approx .80 acre +/-.Located between white ridge and the WAVERLEY west subdivision.Currently zoned as A-agriculture,city of winnipeg.No immediate development plans.site plan attached.lot is approximately 81 x 438 ft"

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post

"Great investment for future development. Almost one acre (0.8 Acre +/-), vacant lot within city limits in south Winnipeg. The land is currently under agriculture zoning in City of Winnipeg and located between Whyte Ridge and Bridgewater Lakes. No immediate development plans. Rare to find."

"Lot 37 for sale Ideal to buy & Hold investment for right person.Approx .80 acre +/-.Located between white ridge and the WAVERLEY west subdivision.Currently zoned as A-agriculture,city of winnipeg.No immediate development plans.site plan attached.lot is approximately 81 x 438 ft"
I hope that they're writing those sale listings hoping to get a buyer to fall for it. I know the city has had a bad history of not planning things out super well but if they allowed development on this strip of land that would be a whole other level of incompetence at city building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:38 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post

It's sad that the real estate agent is actively promoting land speculation. I really wish the City had more control over taxation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:26 PM

These are the lots. They run from the interchange at the east end to City limits in the west.

I wonder who owns them. The City would have control over development. I also wonder if they would ever buy these lots as they come up. Expropriating later will cost most. Maybe they'll never need them... haha

The one lot advertised by Ed Dale team mentioned the Bishop extension. The other posting is RARE TO FIND! like what rare to find some land that can basically never be developed?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:43 PM

I once worked with a guy who owned some land locked parcel in Charleswood somewhere with no access to it, in the hopes that one day someone would come calling for it.

I assume the reason to own this would be speculation that one day the city of Winnipeg would come expropriate it and it would be worth the investment. Sounds like a pretty risky investment.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:49 PM

Ya it's basically sitting on that land until, maybe if ever, Bishop Extension goes ahead. I assume the existing owner was doing that and is now trying to get their money out.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:48 PM

The environmental review for PTH 100 PR 200 interchange is posted on the public registry to view. The design drawing for the main part of the interchange is below. There are some other minor tweaks to the roads leading into the interchange area.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:00 PM

May as well post the other drawings.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
May as well post the other drawings.

Hope to see construction soon. It’s killing me this is long overdue by almost a century...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:53 PM

It will be a painfully long summer of waiting haha.

Since this one is in progress now. I'm hoping we'll get another one coming down the pipe in the near future. Role one project into another.

And since the 59N floodway bridge is also in progress (another $100 mil plus project), hopefully they can role that into yet another one of the Perimeter Hwy jobs.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:00 PM

I would love to see a diamond at Pipeline move forward fairly quickly. I have nothing to gain from the project but pushing the two lanes over the Perimeter with some longer diamond lanes on either side of road has to be one of the simplest projects on the Perimeter upgrade list. And with that cross off the list it gets the Perimeter free flowing from 59N to almost HWY 6.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would love to see a diamond at Pipeline move forward fairly quickly. I have nothing to gain from the project but pushing the two lanes over the Perimeter with some longer diamond lanes on either side of road has to be one of the simplest projects on the Perimeter upgrade list. And with that cross off the list it gets the Perimeter free flowing from 59N to almost HWY 6.
Like you'd think it sounds simple and cheap but I bet MIT still finds a way to make it cost north of 100 mil
Federalist #10, James Madison

Last edited by optimusREIM; Apr 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan