HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:39 PM

Thank you.
I saw Neil's story but I guess I read it too fast and missed that, a common mistake I seem to make.
Twenty years is a long time, which is a good thing depending on if it's not too one-sided towards one party or another. No doubt there are re-opener clauses in case that happens. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see the fine print.
Wishing all the best to both parties.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good photo of the interior of the arena accompanying the press release:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good photo of the interior of the arena accompanying the press release:

If only the Cats could join 2018 with a modern looking logo & jerseys to go along with the modern building..not holding out much hope on that though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
If only the Cats could join 2018 with a modern looking logo & jerseys to go along with the modern building..not holding out much hope on that though.
I actually quite like the version of the cat that is on that pic. They've been using it on a lot of marketing collateral lately. It's much more simplified. Maybe there is a transition in the works.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
I actually quite like the version of the cat that is on that pic. They've been using it on a lot of marketing collateral lately. It's much more simplified. Maybe there is a transition in the works.
They have black hats with that logo on them. To me it just looks too cartoonish & unoriginal. If you search wildcats logos in google there's a bunch of high school teams in the US with a comparable logo. I wish they went with something with darker tones.

I can live with the logo if they do a complete overall and finally have nice jerseys. Worst jerseys in the QMJHL in my opinion..as a hardcore fan of this team since I was a kid I have never bought a jersey or any other merch as I just find it lacks quality. The Mooseheads make terrific professional merch, and the young students in their 20's eat it up.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:22 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
They have black hats with that logo on them. To me it just looks too cartoonish & unoriginal. If you search wildcats logos in google there's a bunch of high school teams in the US with a comparable logo. I wish they went with something with darker tones.
You do know why the Wildcats wear white, blue, red, and yellow...right?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You do know why the Wildcats wear white, blue, red, and yellow...right?
Seeing as I've been to nearly every game for the last 15 seasons yes I am aware.

I find the the colour scheme to be incredibly outdated. Changing the logo to darker more modern tones would include changing the colours of the logo slightly as well. I think the Titan did a nice overhaul recently on their logo & jerseys, Charlottetown as well have some of the sharper jerseys in the league since their ownership took over. At one point all 3 of Moncton/Charlottetown/Bathurst had nearly identical colour schemes playing within the same division. It was funny actually.

Very little has been updated with the visual appearance at the Wildcats game during my tenure as a fan. I am not the only one with this opinion. I will continue to be a season ticket holder for the long haul, just making discussion and stating my opinion on the current state of the Cats marketing. I think some of these smaller improvements add up to help attract a fanbase in their 20s & 30's who will want to visit the new centre. At the moment the bulk of fans wearing Wildcats gear are Kids & Seniors wearing the odd freebie hat.

If the Cats put out a nice modern looking jersey that doesn't have silly scratch marks on the back of it I'll be happy to buy one to wear to the new rink! There's no better time to make a change like this.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:14 AM

I also find the logo a bit dated. I was farting around this evening and tried updating their look using the same idea as the Panthers new brand.
Not perfect, but you get the idea. If I can do this in 1.5h, I'm sure they can come up with something better.

Last edited by David_99; Jan 26, 2018 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

David, your graphic design contributions to the forum have always been top notch!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Only a couple of tidbits regarding the contract in the T&T:

- a 20 year deal (security for the Wildcats in terms of operational planning).
- SMG will control the concessions (the Wildcats had control at the Coliseum, this will be a loss of revenue for them).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 26, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

An interesting photo from the T&T article:

This presumably was taken from the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Raising the Moncton Wildcats team flag at the downtown events centre.

from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I also find the logo a bit dated. I was farting around this evening and tried updating their look using the same idea as the Panthers new brand.
Not perfect, but you get the idea. If I can do this in 1.5h, I'm sure they can come up with something better.

That's already miles ahead of the old, dated logo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
That's already miles ahead of the old, dated logo.
Happy Medium?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Happy Medium?

This works

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:10 AM

OK, Irving. Please take this design. Free!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:04 PM

There are a few nice pictures of the club lounge and private boxes on Ryan Jenner's LinkedIn page. https://www.linkedin.com/in/rjjenner

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Happy Medium?

I much prefer the original version you did

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Dear City Council:

I have a proposal for you to consider as to how to complete the development of the lands surrounding the new downtown events centre:

- It has become a well known wish of council to expand the urban street grid south of Main Street. This is a worthwhile objective that I fully support. I propose that this initiative be carried on to include that portion of Main Street to the west of the CN overpass.

- Highfield Street is already to be extended around the events centre to eventually meet up with Ivan Rand Drive at Vaughan Harvey Boulevard. I propose that Weldon Street also be extended south of Main Street to intersect with Highfield Street Extension just to the east of the VIA Rail station.

- By doing so, you contain the events centre on its own city block, and provide access to currently undeveloped lands south of Main Street which could complement the events centre.

- Specifically, if Crombie REIT could be involved in this project, I envisage that as part of their future redevelopment of 1222 Main, that they construct a commercial podium fronting on Weldon and connecting both 1222 Main and 1234 Main. This commercial podium could contain office space and some retail to service the office complex.

- Further, as part of this redevelopment, perhaps Crobie REIT could consider a multilevel parking facility further to the south along Weldon to service their complex during the daytime and the events centre in the evening. A parking facility here would be very convenient to patrons of the events centre and would improve overall density in this portion of the core.

- The development of Parcel "A" should be expedited, and should include a 4-6 storey condominium or apartment project (with underground parking), and ground level retail/commercial, perhaps including a restaurant to improve the vibrancy of the neighbourhood. A building here (in addition to the new Hyatt Place Hotel and included chain restaurant) would truly reshape the west end of the downtown core.

- A re-established street grid, increased density, improved vibrancy and a new enclosed parking facility to serve the west end, especially during events at the downtown centre. The extension of Weldon Street would accomplish all these things. I believe this should be seriously considered........

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Dear City Council:

I have a proposal for you to consider as to how to complete the development of the lands surrounding the new downtown events centre:

- It has become a well known wish of council to expand the urban street grid south of Main Street. This is a worthwhile objective that I fully support. I propose that this initiative be carried on to include that portion of Main Street to the west of the CN overpass.

- Highfield Street is already to be extended around the events centre to eventually meet up with Ivan Rand Drive at Vaughan Harvey Boulevard. I propose that Weldon Street also be extended south of Main Street to intersect with Highfield Street Extension just to the east of the VIA Rail station.

- By doing so, you contain the events centre on its own city block, and provide access to currently undeveloped lands south of Main Street which could complement the events centre.

- Specifically, if Crombie REIT could be involved in this project, I envisage that as part of their future redevelopment of 1222 Main, that they construct a commercial podium fronting on Weldon and connecting both 1222 Main and 1234 Main. This commercial podium could contain office space and some retail to service the office complex.

- Further, as part of this redevelopment, perhaps Crobie REIT could consider a multilevel parking facility further to the south along Weldon to service their complex during the daytime and the events centre in the evening. A parking facility here would be very convenient to patrons of the events centre and would improve overall density in this portion of the core.

- The development of Parcel "A" should be expedited, and should include a 4-6 storey condominium or apartment project (with underground parking), and ground level retail/commercial, perhaps including a restaurant to improve the vibrancy of the neighbourhood. A building here (in addition to the new Hyatt Place Hotel and included chain restaurant) would truly reshape the west end of the downtown core.

- A re-established street grid, increased density, improved vibrancy and a new enclosed parking facility to serve the west end, especially during events at the downtown centre. The extension of Weldon Street would accomplish all these things. I believe this should be seriously considered........
I love this idea, my Question is about the CANTEL?? building. I used to call it the CN telecommunications building as a kid. WHO owns it? and Is it being used? I hate to say it is an eyesore, but... Until that is gone, the road and the parcel of land may be tougher to develop. I just dislike the optics of this building and want it gone. Other than that issue, bringing Weldon to Rand is a great idea. It also would give another choice for people to get to Sobeys/ the train/BUS station and even Riverview.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces