HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:48 PM

The S-Line may not be the most successful transit line in terms of ridership, but it has been very successful in spurring a lot of development along the line since it was built. I took a walk along the line this morning as I was waiting for my winter tires were being put on at Discount tire.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 12:35 AM

Hey guys, if you remember I brought up a few weeks ago that it would be great for a 500'+ tower to be built on the corner lot on 100 S and Main St. (owned by Zions Bank). So last night I went on a caffeine induced design frenzy and decided to take matters into my own hands and attempted to design some massing on Sketchup to see what could be done there. Here's the online accessible PDF of my ideas:

file:///home/chronos/u-dbbea7ef06adca7b3b5e6951a091b132228056f2/MyFiles/Downloads/Zions%20Bank%20Downtown%20Property%20Development%20Plan%20(1).pdf

I'm curious to know what you guys think about my ideas and what you might do differently if you were the developer in charge.

Also, one interesting note from what I learned after this fun little exercise, is that it takes WAY more parking to build an office tower than I previously thought! I think that's why autocentric cities like SLC, Sacramento, Portland etc. only have 20-30 story buildings because the parking just gets to be too much to build after that. Even on 2 acres I still had to build 4 levels of subterranean parking to accommodate 2.5 stalls per 1000 gross sq ft. In contrast, cities like SF, Chicago, and NYC actively utilize public transit, bike lanes, and walk-able streets when commuting to work making parking less of an issue and therefore allowing towers to be much higher. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Ok, I know that's a lot but I hope you guys humor me on this! Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEar View Post
Hey guys, if you remember I brought up a few weeks ago that it would be great for a 500'+ tower to be built on the corner lot on 100 S and Main St. (owned by Zions Bank). So last night I went on a caffeine induced design frenzy and decided to take matters into my own hands and attempted to design some massing on Sketchup to see what could be done there. Here's the online accessible PDF of my ideas:

file:///home/chronos/u-dbbea7ef06adca7b3b5e6951a091b132228056f2/MyFiles/Downloads/Zions%20Bank%20Downtown%20Property%20Development%20Plan%20(1).pdf

I'm curious to know what you guys think about my ideas and what you might do differently if you were the developer in charge.

Also, one interesting note from what I learned after this fun little exercise, is that it takes WAY more parking to build an office tower than I previously thought! I think that's why autocentric cities like SLC, Sacramento, Portland etc. only have 20-30 story buildings because the parking just gets to be too much to build after that. Even on 2 acres I still had to build 4 levels of subterranean parking to accommodate 2.5 stalls per 1000 gross sq ft. In contrast, cities like SF, Chicago, and NYC actively utilize public transit, bike lanes, and walk-able streets when commuting to work making parking less of an issue and therefore allowing towers to be much higher. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Ok, I know that's a lot but I hope you guys humor me on this! Thanks!
2 things:
1) no access to your file. Try posting images of it on here instead.
2) Portland described on the same list as Sacramento & Salt Lake City?? What?? Portland is definitely doing much better in terms of transit, walkability, bike transit, etc. Many other cities look to Portland as a model city in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:57 AM

some great shots of downtown

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know what the large construction project directly behind Liberty Sky is ?

Is it an additional parking garage for Liberty Sly?
There shouldn't be anything behind Liberty Sky under construction. They constructed a parking garage behind there previously for Liberty Sky, from my understanding. Maybe they are adding on to the parking garage? Take a photo and post it on here.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know what the large construction project directly behind Liberty Sky is ?

Is it an additional parking garage for Liberty Sly?
are you talking about 255 state street?

http://ktgy.com/media/255-south-state-street/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 5:51 PM

There really is a rather large construction project going on directly behind Liberty Sky. I was viewing it on Friday from the 3rd or 4th level of the parking garage behind Liberty Sky

Rebar was extending from the project about 3 or 4 floors high along the perimeter of the project.

I was not able to take a picture because I dont currently have a cell phone.

Could someone on this thread take pictures and post them here???

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 6:44 PM

There is definitely something being built behind Liberty Sky, can’t tell if it’s a parking garage or not.

And last night it looked like the big pour was happening at the Post District. Really impressive sight actually, I haven’t seen that many trucks at a pour before.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:32 PM

I finally figured out how to post photos lol. I live in Liberty Crest, the apartments on the other side of the block from where Liberty Sky is being built, and we have windows in the hall that give a great view of the construction. I strongly believe they are building a parking garage for Liberty Sky behind the actual building.

Also check out 95 State peaking over the federal building. I look out this window every day to check on the construction. I’ll continue to provide photos now that I know how.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:18 AM

It looks like this is additional parking attached to that relatively new garage, and it will attach to the tower. You can see the doors openings on the tower in those photos.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:30 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEar View Post

I do hope Zions Bank builds a 500+ ft mixed-use tower on that corner. It's a great location that has easy access to the convention center, City Creek, and Main St.

That said, your file doesn't seem to have been uploaded to the internet so I can't look at your design. I would try uploading it to Google Drive and make sure the sharing settings allow other people to view it. That, or you could upload the images to an image hosting site like imgur.com.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:23 PM

Thanks UT Presto for the great pictures of the work behind Liberty Sky!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:31 PM

CCH Update

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:05 PM
Space Magi

I went through some of the recently-posted documents for the next planning commission meeting and found some items of interest. First of all, there are indeed some changes being requested for the design of 255 S. State including reducing the height of the north tower (reduced from 14 to 12 stories) and some of the other structures as well as some material/facade changes. These two images sum up the requested exterior changes pretty well:

The staff recommendation is that the planning commission approve the new design with a few conditions including that a public entrance to the proposed food hall/commercial space on State Street be added to the design. (see above image)

Here's also a new rendering and plan of the Alta Depot project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
This view is going to look very different soon:

Last edited by Atlas; Dec 7, 2020 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:11 PM

I think the Alta Depot needs to be at least 5 to 6 stories on that corner. And, they need to add retail along 1st south. That would be a detriment to that area in the long term without any retail along 1st south. The mid-block walk through is a great improvement from their previous phase.

Also, on 255 State, I was a little incredulous that they could do those deep punched openings like that especially because it's an affordable housing project. It's also a little sad the height continues to decrease on the tower, but overall I think it will be fine. It's more about creating a great block connection.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:00 AM
They all float down here

I can't wait for the final proposal for 255 State to be a three-story office mid-rise.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I can't wait for the final proposal for 255 State to be a three-story office mid-rise.
I was hoping it got scrapped, but doesn’t sound like the case. It’s mediocre to say the least, on prime real estate, could have been something special.

Especially along State Street leading up to the capitol, with Kensington and 95 S, another skyscraper would have created a nice “tunnel” feel.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:11 AM

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 9, 2020 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:29 PM

Ice House Apartments (430 W. 300 N.) - Design Review

An updated version of the Endeavor - 'Ice House Apartments' project has filed for a Design Review.

The project is located in the western half of the block directly north of the recently built 4th West Apartments and the planned 300 unit Salt Lake Crossing development.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...owInspection=#

The project will include a seven floor building with 393 residential units as well as 28 townhouses for a total of 421 residential 'units'.

The developer is seeking a variance from the TSA 200 ft. max building length.

According to the documents,This updated version of the project will cover 3.41 acres (though this must exclude the proposed new 'midblock' curved road, since my calculation puts it at just under 5 acres (half a block) with that included). It will be comprised of three main areas Area A (Podium, 2.76 acres), Area B (Townhome buildings 2, 3, and 4, 0.65 acres), and Area C (Townhome buildings 5, and 6, 0.55 acres).

Site Plan

Project Description: [/B]
Quote:
The Ice House Multifamily project is a proposed (7) story podium wrap building with two townhome pad sites. The podium will consist of (2) floors of Type IA concrete construction with Type IIIA wood infill, and (5) floors of Type IIIA wood construction. The garage includes (7) tiered levels of parking with an eighth level dedicated to amenities including club and fitness spaces, plus a large pool deck with expansive views to the north and south.

The podium houses 393 studio, one, and two bedroom units at an average of 809 square feet, at a density of 138 units / acre. There will be an additional 28 townhome units on site. Dynamic angled corner units punctuate the main building volumes, providing premium views for residents. Street-level amenities include expansive leasing and bicycle facilities; these volumes are offset from the building volume above, abutting the street and bringing activity directly to the pedestrian level. The remaining street level functions on both 300N and 490W are entirely residential, with numerous street-facing windows and patios, engaging the neighborhood and providing numerous eyes-on-the-street.

Exterior building materials at the podium street level include dark brick, glass (residential glazing at the units, storefront at the ground-level amenities), and woodtone siding at the patios and balconies, providing a warm and tactile experience for residents and pedestrians. The upper floors are clad primarily in 3-coat stucco and woodtone siding, with board-and-batten siding infill at patios. The materiality is carried around the entire podium to create 360-degree architecture. The townhomes will feature similar materiality, including a grey stone base, board-and-batten siding, and standing-seam sloped metal roofing, for individualized residential character.

The overall site plan and programming of the exterior spaces is subdivided into four (4) primary use zones: the urban street, entrance pocket park, interior amenity court, and roof top pool deck. Each space is designed to complement the building architecture and structural grid, while creating a clear and intuitive sense of design clarity and framework. Project site goals include a strong linear east west site grain, a wide range of programming and uses, an emphasis on pedestrian circulation and connectivity, and long-term maintainability with year-round season interest. The site plan seeks to offer gathering spaces for both larger groups, as well as smaller, more intimate areas, providing a broad range of amenities for residents and visitors alike.

The site streetscape includes street trees 30’ on center, foundation planting along each unit, pedestrian scale pole lighting, and street furniture, including benches, trash receptacles, and bike racks. The entrance pocket park, located on the west side of the project, will have a strong visual and physical axis through the leasing center, and connect from the streetscape to the interior amenity court. A strong allee of trees and linear planting bars will tie the two spaces together, acting as a singular park with the building between. Large specimen trees, small water features, signage, and paving will further visually connect these two amenity spaces together. The interior amenity garden will include open turf for lawn gaming, fire pits, outdoor kitchens, and range of gathering spaces for residents to enjoy.

On the pool deck, the plan will reside between two major project amenity spaces, the Fitness Room and Club. These two buildings will be tied together visually with an active pool deck, oriented with distant vistas and views to the north and south, with a beautifully articulated pool deck, outdoor kitchens, wet deck and fountain, raised planters with canopy trees, and quiet soft seating areas. This dynamic exterior space will be the primary destination for the Ice House residents and offer a wide range of programming options for decades to come.
PURPOSE FOR DESIGN REVIEW:

Quote:
Site challenges make adherence to the maximum building length requirement impossible for effective, dense neighborhood development. The site’s long north-south orientation, spanning the distance between 400N and 300N, is bounded to the west by train tracks, and east by existing warehouse buildings. Separating the building to include north-south, or east-west walkways will do little to increase pedestrian activity as there are no through-site destinations.

We are requesting the design review to not only demonstrate how we are addressing these challenges, but also improving the built environment and bringing thoughtful residential density to the TSA Urban Core. Our approach is, at a minimum, consistent in scope with neighboring developments that have also been granted approval to vary from the maximum length restriction, including 4th West, Hardware, and Salt Lake Crossing. Our design goes further to articulate the massing and address the pedestrian scale; the site is broken up into three zones to reduce the length of the podium, and incorporate townhome clusters to vary the size and character of the overall development. The west podium façade facing 490W incorporates deep building setbacks to create the appearance of 3 separate buildings, carefully integrating landscape to mitigate the overall building length. The south podium façade facing 300N will feature regular architectural articulation, tactile materials, street-level windows, and patios; additionally, the overall south-facing building length exceeds the administrative limit by only approx. 20 feet.

The dedicated segment of 490 West, requested by the City to support the long-term goal of connecting 490 West to 400 North, will fill another gap in the local street grid, relieving the 300 West and 400 West corridors of neighborhood traffic; however the required road alignments addressing easements, southern thoroughfare connection, and distancing from the UPRR, result in a winding road and non-uniform parcels. A great deal of work has been put forth, hand-in-hand with City Staff, to extend 490 West through the Ice House site to help fulfill the Transportation Master Plan, and the Owner has agreed to bear the attendant construction costs. The Ice House project directly addresses the new road, improving on its character as a simple connector to create a genuine internal neighborhood way.

TSA Zone Design Standards not being met:
• 21A.37.050F - Street Facing Façade: Maximum Length 200 Feet
o Due to site constraints, the building facing 490W and 300N exceed the 200 max. foot
length requirement.
• 21A.37.050B2 – complies with approved materials on upper floors
o On the podium we anticipate a durable 3-coat stucco system, with majority masonry,
woodtone siding, fiber cement siding, and glass materials on the upper floors. No EIFS
or synthetic stucco will be applied to the building. The ground floor will be majority
masonry, woodtone siding, and glass.

TSA Zone Design Standards being met:
• 21A.37.050A1 – complies with minimum ground floor use
• 21A.37.050A2 – N/A – complies with A1 option
• 21A.37.050B1 – complies with approved materials on ground floor
• 21A.37.050C1 – complies with glazing requirements on ground floor
• 21A.37.050D – complies with building entrance requirement
• 21A.37.050E – complies with blank wall requirement
• 21A.37.050H – complies with exterior lighting requirements
• 21A.37.050I – N/A
• 21A.37.050J – exterior mechanical equipment, rooftop equipment will be screened from view
• 21A.37.050K – complies – service areas located within parking garage
• 21A.37.050L – complies with ground floor residential entrances (townhomes)

RENDERINGS

Aerial (300 North and Trax)

Bird's Eye View

Podium South Entry (300 North)

Podium Southeastern Corner (300 North & aprox 450 West)

'Midblock' Road

Townhouse Building 2

Townhouse Building 3

Townhouse Building 4

Townhouse Building 5

View looking East from Trax

Landscape Plan

2018 VERSION
The original version was filed in 2018 and was a single 5-floor structure with 158 residential units.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mor...JgrolL4xIOEaEM
Old Rendering:

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 17, 2020 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:53 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
An updated version of the Endeavor - 'Ice House Apartments' project has filed for a Design Review.

The project will include a seven floor building with 393 residential units as well as 28 townhouses for a total of 421 residential 'units'.

The developer is seeking a variance from the TSA 200 ft. max building length.

According to the documents,This updated version of the project will cover 3.41 acres (though this must exclude the proposed new 'midblock' curved road, since my calculation puts it at just under 5 acres (half a block) with that included). It will be comprised of three main areas Area A (Podium, 2.76 acres), Area B (Townhome buildings 2, 3, and 4, 0.65 acres), and Area C (Townhome buildings 5, and 6, 0.55 acres).

Site Plan

Thanks for the update Blah. This one has been cooking for a while. Sort of a hodgepodge of styles and angles here. Also so nice to see the SLC development scene's tradition of naming a project after the thing they are knocking over carrying through. This is the former Ice House events center, Erkelens& Olsen Auction house. Last standing block ice warehouse in the city. RIP. That area needs street level something. I know they have Lees but it has become that impenetrable cage of buildings. Lots of talk about walkable communities but hey, rates are low and HUD is still juicing developers bank accounts so yeah.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West