HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 9:13 PM

There's obviously still some balconies missing, might help break it up a bit. I hope that pink is not the final color. When I saw the white vinyl windows go in last year I knew this one was going to be bad. Shame, what a completely wasted opportunity. The main building is so close to the street there's barely room for any tress for it to hide behind.

On the bright side, maybe the rent will be reasonable?
http://www.tupeloalley.com/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 1:43 AM

creepy 90s garbage

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 3:34 AM

"The design is fresh and inviting. Just like you."

Creepy indeed!

I love how there's no renderings, either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 1:09 AM

The Planned Parenthood project at Beech and MLK is finally under construction. Heavy equipment on the site digging out the foundation.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 9:43 AM
Karma Police

Glad to hear the anti-choice/pro-death penalty hypocrites couldn't stop it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post

Builder of Planned Parenthood project in Portland pulls out
Really? That was the title of this article? Can they be anymore blatant with the sexual innuendo? Oh Mark Larrabee, you are one funny guy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:59 PM

those places are helpful

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUrbanist View Post
Really? That was the title of this article? Can they be anymore blatant with the sexual innuendo? Oh Mark Larrabee, you are one funny guy.
I completely missed that title gaff, that's Jay Leno's "Headlines" worthy!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:49 PM

Graham Street Lofts might be trying out the rental market

http://portland.craigslist.org/searc...=max&bedrooms=

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 1:18 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ I thought of a good name for that project: the pumpkin!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:20 PM

Mississippi Ave Lofts listings disappeared from the MLS, and the web site is out
http://www.mississippiavenuelofts.com/

There were grave concerns about this project with the contractor's financial problems. Anyone over that way see any site activity?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 9:13 PM

Looks close to finished to me (from the outside at least). Pastaworks opened on Monday.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Looks close to finished to me (from the outside at least). Pastaworks opened on Monday.
Apparently Mississippi Ave Lofts project went back to the bank.

Perhaps it will be rentals too now...?

Have to feel for the developers, they put their blood, sweat and now tears into this project. Probably a ton of money too.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 8:18 AM

The Hacker bit at the end seems like good news. I'm assuming that by "traditional townhouses" they mean in scale only.

PDC decides future for MLK Grant Warehouse site
Submitted by Sentinel News Service on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 11:25am.

SENTINEL NEWS SERVICE~ William Crawford

The Portland Development Commission arrived at a decision mid-March on development plans for the site of the former Grant Warehouse on Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard just south of Northeast Fremont Street.

Although the details remain tentative, the unused property between Cook and Ivy streets will be converted into a 30-unit housing complex comprised of two buildings and developed by Vern Rifer and Ivy City Homes, says Karl Dinkelspiel, PDC’s senior project coordinator. The PDC lists the 32,400 sq. ft. lot at an estimated $972,000.

The property sits on land recently deemed safe for development by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality in a 2006 No Further Action letter. According to the PDC, the site was part of an emergency abatement action of hazardous materials undertaken by the Environmental Protection Agency in late 1998.

“Mr. Grant had been storing hazardous chemicals while reclaiming various industrial materials,” explains Dinkelspiel. “There was remedial action [by the EPA] which PDC finished up — disassembled the warehouse, cleaned up the soil and bought the neighboring auto warehouse.”

Last year’s Request for Proposals required a minimum build-out of at least 24 home ownership units. “We worked with development teams and decided this one makes the most sense,” he said.

Rifer notes that the details are still in negotiation, but that the general plan is to designate 10 units along MLK as live/work spaces with a terraced space, and an additional two floors of 10 more units set back from the street. A second building would then sit behind the first with 10 additional units and a drivable access path between. Though the maximum build height is 75 feet, Rifer says his plan will reflect a “traditional townhouse” model of three stories at approximately 40-45 feet high.

As per the requirements set by the PDC, Dinkelspiel estimates 18 units would be “affordable” and range from $125,000 to $175,000 and 12 around $270,000.

“We are hoping to finish negotiating the deal in three to six months and begin construction in 2010,” explained Dinkelspiel.

Rifer says he will work with architect Thomas Hacker and contractor Andrew Colas of

Colas Construction, Inc.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 6:00 AM

Tupelo Alley web site is updated with flo'plans, photos, virt tours, & usual generic "lifestyle" shots. No prices yet, or anything on craigslist

http://www.tupeloalley.com/

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately, all of these developments seem really heavy-handed and out of step with the ethos of the neighborhood. The Mississippi Lofts seem okay, and I really like the wood facade (while reserving other questions for the brick and layout), but the scale and style of the Tupelo just crushes the streetscape. As I remember, it has almost no set-back and casts a huge shadow on the street and it's nursery neighbor. For the sake of the residents, I hope that the neighborhood is resilient enough to absorb this amount of corporate and still function in the way that it has heretofore.

BTW, I almost never side with the too tall/too modern/doesn't address the surrounding area arguments, but the Tupelo just seems like such a clear example of why these things are important.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:16 AM

Quote:
BTW, I almost never side with the too tall/too modern/doesn't address the surrounding area arguments, but the Tupelo just seems like such a clear example of why these things are important.
I'm with you. That building, due to its scale, is of central importance to the street and at this point it looks like it is going to be an art-less and very bulky failure. It looks extremely cheap and generic. Compare it to the LEED-Platinum Shaver Green affordable apartments going up on MLK -- well, there is no comparison, actually. Of course, I don't know the fine points of the financial realities and choices faced by each developer (Shaver Green is state subsidized to a significant extent). But the firm that designed Shaver Green obviously did a bang-up job designing a quality building within whatever constraints were handed to them. Sera did not, though who knows what Trammell-Crow demanded of them.

I'll take some pics this weekend. One thing I noticed riding by earlier today was that the backside of the development looks much better -- more townhouse-style, with bioswales, alternating colors, and pitched roofs.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:09 AM

so glad to see debelopment going on in the inner-suburbs, I wonder why dosen't it happen so much in East Portland, would have more sense to me.

Last edited by MR. Cosmopolitan; May 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Cosmopolitan View Post
so glad to see debelopment going on in the inner-suburbs, I wonder wonder why dosen't it happen so much in East Portland, would have more sense to me.
Zoning.

See: 60th & Glisan (which is actually being considered for rezoning)

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:41 PM

Design

The architect's design doesn't bother me--this is low-key residential/commercial. Imagine it with underground utilities and larger trees edging the sidewalk. Replace the streetlamp and pole with something more tasteful and you've got a comfortably nice facade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland