HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 4:47 PM

Chateau Mississippi 11/7

Rustic. Where are we, Santa Fe?

All it needs is a hitching post.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 4:56 PM

Miss. Ave. Lofts

Completion pushed back to Feb '09. Retail maybe. Lofts I'd guess spring/summer '09

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 4:44 PM

i'm confused by the wood-brick-wood facade of this building...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 5:15 PM

The facade is confused. It is also courtesy of the Historic Landmarks Commission.

The original concepts for the building were much stronger.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 8:04 PM

I was initially a fan of this project when I heard about it. After seeing the gigantic parking structure underneath and now the massive scale, I feel as though it is completely out of touch with the neighborhood.

Hopefully the bulk will be broken up by some decorative touches on the exterior.

That said, I hope this project, the redevelopment just a block away, and the mississippi lofts will help enliven this district's appeal and not suffocate it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 4:23 AM

I thought I read the point of the wood, brick, wood facade was to make it appear as three different buildings. However, having the EXACT SAME architectural form for each building doesn't differentiate at all. It just looks confused, as other have stated.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 12:24 AM

i'm also confused by the Chateau Mississippi. it looks like it should be the set for an old-timey movie.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 1:35 AM

^^^I'm confused as well. I was over in Miss. last week and saw that building for the first time and my initial reaction was huh? Now THAT looks out of place...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
High expectations greet loft project
...Architect Hilary Mackenzie isn't losing any sleep over the slowing housing market.

That's impressive for an untested developer with a $4.3 million condominium project in construction on an untested stretch of Northeast Portland.

Mackenzie broke ground earlier this year on Graham Street Lofts, a 12-unit complex being constructed on a former parking lot that fronts Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at Northeast Graham Street...
Sales are slow at the Graham St Lofts project, only 2 smaller units (of 12 total) have sold
http://www.grahamstreetlofts.com/pricefloor.php

(Prices on this web page are not up-to-date, they're lower on the MLS)

Not great design, busy/noisy frontage on MLK.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:41 PM

Our school group toured this building last year. The interiors are poorly laid out too. The developer/ architect constructed expensive luxury homes before this, and used a lot of her own money to get this project underway. The target market for the condos were empty nesters, but there isn't an elevator in the 4 story building and the parking is uncovered.

They were quiet inside. The construction materials yielded a quiet building when the windows and doors are closed. But walk onto your balcony that looks over MLK and the sound is deafening.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:18 PM

New project underway on Mississippi. LEED Platinum. 3 stories. Stupid name, but looks like a promising addition to the street from the one rendering they have on the site. This is next door to Lovely Hula Hands, just down the hill from Mississippi Lofts and the new Pastaworks, which looks maybe a month from opening.

www.numisspdx.com

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 4:18 AM

Portland City Council scraps cap relating to transit-oriented development

Now projects such as Killingsworth Station and One:19 may qualify for tax abatements
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Thursday, January 15, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

The City Council on Wednesday passed an ordinance that eliminated a previous one that had capped, at $20 million, transit-oriented development projects seeking tax abatements.

The value of the land, however, will continue to be taxed. This will mitigate city concerns over a loss of tax revenue.

“(The cap) has been a bit problematic,” said Portland Planner Barbara Sack.

The problem has been in maintaining consistency. In some years, no developers applied for the abatement, and in other years, two developers applied. An annual cap doesn’t work, Sack said.

Furthermore, when the cap was instituted in 2006, most transit-oriented development was taking place within the corners of the city, such as the Gateway area in Southeast Portland. These developments, though denser than single-family homes, were not as dense as developments closer to the city center, and they didn’t cost as much to develop.

As developers put it, these were of the “woody walk-up” variety of multifamily projects.

This was at a time when the average cost of a transit-oriented development was $10 million, so the “arbitrary” cap, as Chief Planner Bob Clay called it, made sense.

Two projects changed that perception.

The 54-unit Killingsworth Station project, proposed at North Killingsworth Street and North Interstate Avenue by Winkler Development, hasn’t broken ground since it was announced in 2005, and it’s now expected to exceed the abatement cap.

And One:19, a 117-unit development at Northeast 119th Avenue and East Burnside Street, is planned to go up in two phases, at an overall cost of $20 million.

“If both of these projects came this tax year (with the cap), they’d cost too much to move forward with an abatement,” Sack said. “That would become increasingly more common.”

What hasn’t changed is that developments seeking the tax abatement will still have to go through an approval process, essentially showing that the proposed project would have trouble moving forward without the abatement.

The city had worried about the potential tax revenue it would give up as a result of the new ordinance.

But Clay said the reasoning behind offering tax abatements for transit-oriented development was simple: “It’s akin to any theory of urban renewal,” he said.

Eventually, the developments pay off.

A vacant or under-utilized plot of land is developed or redeveloped next to public transit, and the developer can apply for the abatement by proving to the city that the project wouldn’t move forward without assistance.

The abatement offsets volatile construction costs, at presumably a smaller return, that are involved in developing affordable housing near public transportation, Sack said.

Developers said the new ordinance will help make denser, costlier projects a reality.

“The reason (the cap) has become an issue is because it makes planning for a development really difficult,” said Gordon Jones, who’s working to develop the One:19 project. “There’s so much uncertainty … that you don’t dare move forward unless you know you have that density.”

And developer Andy Kelly said that due to the previous ordinance, and the uncertainty it generated, he’s had to contemplate turning a 90-unit project from a stone-and-steel structure into a cheaper “woody walk-up.”

Jones said his project applied for its abatement two years ago, but due to the abatement cap there “was a state of confusion” about whether the project would qualify. With the cap gone, he feels confident the project will be able to move ahead.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...is-will-incent

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:59 PM
Well designed mixed use

If Killingsworth Station ever happens I'll buy all of you guys dinner.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:09 AM

Okstate...yep...

PDX City-State, I'll take you up on that offer, but I might be an old man by then.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 10:32 AM

Well, if all the nice multi-hued panels make it off the rendering and onto the building, I'll buy the drinks.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:47 AM

The condos going up right in the middle of Mississippi...

Has SERA completely lost their touch or what?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
A before E

tworivers, to answer your question, the answer would be depends on what part of SERA you are talking about. They have grown alot over the years and from what I have been told there are teams there that are producing work like this and scoff at the idea of LEED, but then their are other teams there that are all about sustainability...go figure.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:44 PM
Ah-choo.

Oh wow those are an eyesore (assuming that pink thing in the back is part of the complex).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:06 PM
Karma Police

Does SERA use any color that is darker than beige?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:16 AM

it's ok i guess.. not very exciting to say the least. Hopefully the street trees will grow nice and tall..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland