HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 3:00 AM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 12:30 PM

I drove by this site yesterday and there wasn’t any activity yet. Boston Developments has at least 2 other projects active, maybe once one is complete they will start this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:36 AM

They are starting to throw dirt around on site. According to a post on Boston Development's Instagram "One Project Ends and Another Begins" which tells me this is actual construction. Makes three major projects underway between the Bridge and Boland Road.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
They are starting to throw dirt around on site. According to a post on Boston Development's Instagram "One Project Ends and Another Begins" which tells me this is actual construction. Makes three major projects underway between the Bridge and Boland Road.
It would be great to see the Preszler project go ahead now too. I don't think it requires any further approvals.

Anyone got any scuttlebutt on that one?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
It would be great to see the Preszler project go ahead now too. I don't think it requires any further approvals.

Anyone got any scuttlebutt on that one?
I was looking for office space last month and they had an active listing for that building. It makes me think they’re not starting anytime soon.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 5:27 AM

CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT PLAN - 18 FAULKNER

29 Storey – Multi-Level High Rise
160 Residential Units on 25 Levels
Mixture of 1-3 Bedroom Units
Level 25 & 27 Common Social Areas
2 Levels Underground Parking
1 Level of Ground Floor Parking
Ground Level Outdoor Bicycle Parking and
Indoor Bicycle Parking and Storage

Pretty standard CMP for a Halifax construction site but there are two things that stood out.

1) They are proposing to fully close Williams Street during construction. This is unusual but since there are no driveways or traffic it should be fine especially if the site plans are right and a public sidewalk gets built.

2) Discussing the crane it's mentioned it will swing into an adjacent future construction site. The diagram shows this site as being across Faulkner Street from Williams to up about half the block. This lines up with Ghosn Group maybe starting work soon on their low-rises.

BTW on the Ghosn Group site does anyone know which developments they are talking about for their other "Future Projects"?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I was looking for office space last month and they had an active listing for that building. It makes me think they’re not starting anytime soon.
Well, that's disappointing. I hope they don't miss the viability window. I'm not convinced that our current growth rate and demand will be sustained for nearly as long as our current governments seem to be banking on, and the owners are not seasoned developers who are necessarily attuned to the subtle movements of the market (lawyers, in general, are notoriously bad managers).

On the plus side, though, at least it isn't a trash-strewn vacant lot.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:19 AM
I_Like_Cranes

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 6:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Is this where the Bridge View Apartments used to be?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is this where the Bridge View Apartments used to be?
I'm not familiar with Bridge View Apartments, but below is a crop of an aerial photo taken sometime in the 1970s:

Source

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm not familiar with Bridge View Apartments, but below is a crop of an aerial photo taken sometime in the 1970s
Just to narrow it down a bit, it would have to have been taken in the very early 70s, since it shows a house still on the NW corner of Wyse and Dawson - the site of the first Tim Hortons in NS. I don't remember the exact date it opened, but I want to say 72-ish.

Like you, I don't remember the name "Bridge View Apartments", but I'm finding that at this stage of my life, my forgettory is improving every day.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Just to narrow it down a bit, it would have to have been taken in the very early 70s, since it shows a house still on the NW corner of Wyse and Dawson - the site of the first Tim Hortons in NS. I don't remember the exact date it opened, but I want to say 72-ish.

Like you, I don't remember the name "Bridge View Apartments", but I'm finding that at this stage of my life, my forgettory is improving every day.
I've also been raising the level of my forgettory - actually I feel that I'm becoming quite good at it lately...

Thanks for the insight - I have to admit that I didn't look at the photo all that carefully to narrow down the time frame. The archives list the date as "[197-?]", which I take with a grain of salt as I've seen them be quite far off on their estimations.

It gives one a true sense of time passing when you see these lots, that are now large empty spaces, were once populated with homes and businesses. It's nice to see some development finally happening, such that more people will be able to call this neighbourhood home again.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This part of town will become quite the living hub if all these plus 20 storey buildings are completed. Will stretch out Downtown Dartmouth's skyline a bit, with the park leaving a hole in the middle

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This part of town will become quite the living hub if all these plus 20 storey buildings are completed. Will stretch out Downtown Dartmouth's skyline a bit, with the park leaving a hole in the middle
I was thinking once this area, Alderney/Dartmouth Cove area, and Shannon Park/OceanBreeze is all developed, Dartmouth will have a "3 hump" skyline

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Dartmouth the "moose" has 3 humps...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 1:51 PM
Cap the Cut!

I stopped by here the other day as I wanted to get a sense of the space between the bridge and the building. A few pics...

20230331_151256_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230331_151239_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230331_151235_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 5:31 PM

Interesting pics - gives good perspective on the new development in relation to the bridge.

The sidewalks, driveway openings and grass boulevards got me thinking about what used to be there. Found this pic from 1958 which shows why those driveway openings were there...

https://archives.novascotia.ca/infor...hives/?ID=1210

It's nice to know that this will again be residential in the not so distant future.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 3:49 AM
we built this city

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...16163610513521

See comment.

Could someone with Facebook inform 'Donna' that this is being built on wasteland, it will certainly be affordable to some 'human beings', and that height is a subjective matter? Unless she prefers urban sprawl!

It would appear from a quick search that she is a former city employee. How interesting that the obstructionists that are responsible for the shortage of housing used to work for the city!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:06 AM

2023/07/13 - Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5 WILLIAMS STREET, DARTMOUTH - $28'800'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 160 Units- 27 Floors - New construction of a multi unit residential building (160 units).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 3:00 AM

There is a crane base on site. Spotted it from the MacDonald Bridge today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth